EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Pyramids of Giza Out of Contest for New Wonders

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pyramids of Giza Out of Contest for New Wonders
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pyramids of Giza Out of Contest for New Wonders

April 20, 2007

CAIRO: The pyramids of Giza have been removed from an Internet competition to name the new seven wonders of the world, but the anger of Egypt's antiquities chief remained unmollified yesterday.

Swiss-Canadian filmmaker Bernard Weber's contest to choose the seven new wonders of the world enraged Egyptian officials when the pyramids - the one of the original wonder still standing - was not included in the competition.

"After careful consideration, the New 7 Wonders Foundation designates the Pyramids of Giza - the only remaining of the 7 Ancient Wonders of the World - as an Honorary New 7 Wonders Candidate," said a statement on the website which added that votes could no longer be cast for the pyramids.

"This decision has also taken into account the views of the Supreme Council of Antiquities of Egypt and the Egyptian Ministry of Culture," added the site.

After the competition was announced, Egyptian antiquities supremo Zahi Hawass said that the pyramids "are the only one of the seven wonders of the ancient world that still exists. It's ridiculous, they don't need to be put to a vote."

The move has done little to dim his anger over what he calls a crass "publicity stunt."

"We didn't ask anything from these people and we reject the tourist company that is trying to choose the seven wonders. They are cheating the Egyptians," said Hawass.

"I am against this subject totally. I cannot accept a Greek historian choosing the seven wonders of antiquity and have a tourist company choosing the new ones," he added.

Other countries have been more welcoming after their monuments were included in the competition.

Weber, a former assistant to Italian filmmaking legend Federico Fellini, launched a website where Internet users can vote and choose the world's "new seven wonders."

Greek historian Herotodus chose the original seven, which included the hanging gardens of Babylon, the statue of Zeus at Olympia, the Colossus of Rhodes and the lighthouse of Alexandria.

Among the 21 sites short-listed for the new competition are Angkor Wat in Cambodia, the Eiffel Tower, the Acropolis in Athens, the Taj Mahal and the Great Wall of China. The results will be declared in Lisbon on July 7. [Source]

The 7 New Wonders of the World will now be chosen by the people across the globe from the 20 active New7Wonders candidates. Votes can be made online, at www.new7wonders.com.

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Masonic Rebel
Member # 9549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Masonic Rebel   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if I can add myself to the list ? [Cool]
Posts: 567 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've already voted for the great chinese wall.
Posts: 1420 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excuse me?! [Eek!] What a lot of BS! [Mad]

The Pyramids of Gizeh are THE ULTIMATE WONDER OF THE WORLD!!!

Khalas!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam p
Member # 11774

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam p     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Excuse me?! [Eek!] What a lot of BS! [Mad]

The Pyramids of Gizeh are THE ULTIMATE WONDER OF THE WORLD!!!

Khalas!

You could make a good argument that they are the ONLY man made wonder of the world.
Posts: 393 | From: NW Indiana, US of A | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What! ^What about the Great Wall of China?

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krishna
Member # 12633

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for krishna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and machu picchu? i didn't vote for the pyramids anyway,just for the fact of all the hassle from the locals and the trash laying around. at machu picchu, there are'nt any venders, no scams, no trash...just you and the ruins. if you want to buy something...you go to aguis calientes at the base of the mountain to the market. machu picchu is much more pristine, and no pizza hut and no kentucky fried chicken across the street. i always show the pic of the giza pyramid underneath the words TUH AZZIP to get a laugh.

--------------------
when you see a sacred cow..milk it for all it's worth

Posts: 72 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com