EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Studying Egyptology

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Studying Egyptology
Neith-Athena
Member # 10040

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neith-Athena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently an undergraduate in college and want to major in Egyptology eventually when I go to grad school. Unfortunately, the university that I attend does not offer this major - very few do. I was wondering whether majoring in Classics would be a good launching pad into the field because there was so much interaction between Egypt and Greece and Rome, although I do not find the latter two civilizations all that interesting when compared to Kemet. And I do know that I will have to put up with quite a lot of Eurocentric rubbish. There are other fields like art history and archaeology in which I could major, but I find languages easier to learn and am more interested in literature.

Does anybody have any suggestions? They would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Posts: 140 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ I don't know. A friend of mine is an anthroplogy major, specifically archaeology. Her interest is in India, and all she did was apply for a summer program in India. She's there right now. So I thought all you have to do is major in archaeology and apply for certain programs in Egypt or at least Egyptological programs elsewhere like in France, England, etc. (?)

I will say that Egyptology is thee most popular field of archaeology and I don't know how competative it is but I won't be surprised if it is very. The greatest honor is to be accepted into a program in Cairo itself, which is perhaps the greatest certification to your resume.

Posts: 26393 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best places to go are those schools that are sponsoring digs in Egypt istelf, The University of Pennsylvania, Johns Hopkins University and so on.
It is pretty easy to find out which schools do this
kind of research and it should be pretty easy to visit them and find out what it takes to get enrolled and what their courses offer.

Posts: 8901 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com