EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Replacement moderators? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Replacement moderators?
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I select the new moderators does anybody have any desire to moderate this board? I already have two people in mind but let me know.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elijah The Tishbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm all for it because I don't want this board to go away.
Posts: 2596 | From: Vicksburg | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not give that power to Mansa Musa? He has experience as an admin over at MootSf, so he'd be perfect.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7087 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, Mansa would be very good.
Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horus_Den_1
Member # 12222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horus_Den_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 107 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elijah The Tishbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm up for it, I have plenty of time to moderate
Posts: 2596 | From: Vicksburg | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AFRICA I
Member # 13222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AFRICA I         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So we have a new moderator.
Posts: 919 | From: AFRICA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many moderators are needed? I thought Auar and Horus were the moderators. Are we looking for one or more? Then why not include X-ras since he is volunteering. I agree this is forum is a tremendous source of knowledge.. . .. factual knowledge.

quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Before I select the new moderators does anybody have any desire to moderate this board? I already have two people in mind but let me know.

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this thought is too restricting but I think
a team of non-contributing co-ordinated moderators
who have an agreed upon plan of operation implementin
a clear set of rules applicable to all forum members is
what's called for here.

And, the plainly stated rules should be at the top
of the red exclamation marked stickies. Violators
1st offence -- get a warning,
2nd continuing offence -- probation,
3rd ongoing offense -- permanently banned (if called for).

No discussion, no questions asked, no public beef
airing between moderators and reprimanded members.

Cut, dry, and fast, no joke, draconian, punitive action.

If u no like mods' decisions, u go 2 nother forum.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by King_Scorpion:
I agree, Mansa would be very good.

Same here, he doesn't post here that often and seems less biased when it comes to discussions.
Posts: 1420 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marc Washington
Member # 10979

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marc Washington   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think al Takuri's idea is excellent - expectations, guidelines, and rules-of-engagement and dismissal need to be clearly articulated with no gray areas and room for "I thought..."

With such an approach, very little can go wrong and very little bad feeling generated. Without such an approach, every imaginable problem can and probably will occur and every imaginable type of negative, off-color recrimination and vitriol can and probably will emerge.

GIVE EXAMPLES OF SLANDER: For one thing, posters when disagreeing should stick to clearly enumerated points and resort to name-calling and accusation; personality slander; grandstanding not tolerated. Examples of what is prohibited should be given; ASK MEMBERS TO GIVE EXAMPLES OF WHAT THEY CONSIDER TO BE SLANDER and maybe TAKE A VOTE before the final "charter" is set to stone.

Vitriol has no place in academic or friendly discussion and people who resort to such methods should be shown the door. However, al Takruri's "three warnings" is an excellent monitoring tool. And these by-laws should strictly apply to original members of the forum as well as latter.

MODERATOR PROTECTION: If someone is about to be shown the door, to protect himself, the moderator might ask for a public "hearing" to get a sense of what others think but be expected to make the final decision after getting input from others. Seeing others' feelings in-print would give the whole community a barometer of where everyone stands on a given individual about to be ejected.

SITES WITH GOOD MANNERS: There are a few sites that come to mind when "good manners" are concerned. One is Thoth-Scribe and the other Ancient Bible History. Good manners at one point in each site (I saw it happen) became a goal and the moderators, and members too, nurtured it - even became proud of it almost to the point of bragging (but that's okay). At each site, the members defend the "friendly" atmosphere and even over the last two weeks collectively extolled a negative newcomer to be more amenable in his posts. As he was recalcitrant, the efforts remained respectful but became stronger with the suggestion he leave if he could not comply. We all know sites with horrific manners, but this occurs because (I think) there are no clear guidelines; or, more importantly, they have guidelines but they are not enforced.

The future will mirror the past but with such an approach, the site can rise above the past. That's only growth and al Takruri's approach is the way for the site to mature. In any case, it's fairly common for sites to have a mission statement and by-laws.

Marc W.

--------------------
The nature of homelife is the fate of the nation.

Posts: 2334 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Sure, but I don't know how that will help you or protect you from the rightly deserved criticism of your ridiculous claims.
Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X-ras, I have chosen you as one of the replacement moderators. Please let me know if you are interested. I have sent you a pm but you have yet to respond.

If anybody objects to the following speak know or forever hold your peace.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AFRICA I
Member # 13222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AFRICA I         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X-Ras had some beef with Thought, Mystery Solver and Rasol in the past, if they agree to have him as a moderator, that's fine.
Posts: 919 | From: AFRICA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
The moderator position is open to anybody that wants to volunteer their time. The only person thus far that volunteered is X-Ras. X-Ras is the obvious choice since Horus-Den is stepping down I don't have many people to chose from. It's either I chose somebody or just walk away because I don't have the time to moderate anymore.

This is your last call!!!!! If anybody else would like to replace Horus-Den then please speak up!!!!! If I get more than one I will have a vote to decide who is the nect moderator.

Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
I still nominate myself, this is where I got my start in 2004, so why not moderate here?
Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a bad idea to let you moderate, since you are constantly debating in thousands of other forums, you have enemies allover the cyberspace, you have been in countless of arguments with posters at this board, from the discussions ive seen you engage in you seem to be extremly intolerant(even though i agree with you alot of times) and also you are a christian fundamentalist.
I think someone relative neutral would be more suitable like lamin, Mansa-Munsa, yaazid or Tyronosauras, you're just waay to controversial to moderate imo.

Posts: 1420 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
I already have one moderator but I need another. Does anybody else want to nominate themselves?
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Yonis:
I think it's a bad idea to let you moderate, since you are constantly debating in thousands of other forums, you have enemies allover the cyberspace, you have been in countless of arguments with posters at this board, from the discussions ive seen you engage in you seem to be extremly intolerant(even though i agree with you alot of times) and also you are a christian fundamentalist.
I think someone relative neutral would be more suitable like lamin, Mansa-Munsa, yaazid or Tyronosauras, you're just waay to controversial to moderate imo.

Your personal problems that you have with me are of no importance to *THIS* forum. Whatever goes on in other forums has no place here. I argue with no one here, I may disagree with people, but never argue. I seriously wish people would quit bringing garbage from other forums into this forum.
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
Ausar, check your PM
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
up
Rahiq
Member # 13906

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahiq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
Maybe this thought is too restricting but I think
a team of non-contributing co-ordinated moderators
who have an agreed upon plan of operation implementin
a clear set of rules applicable to all forum members is
what's called for here.

And, the plainly stated rules should be at the top
of the red exclamation marked stickies. Violators
1st offence -- get a warning,
2nd continuing offence -- probation,
3rd ongoing offense -- permanently banned (if called for).

No discussion, no questions asked, no public beef
airing between moderators and reprimanded members.

Cut, dry, and fast, no joke, draconian, punitive action.

If u no like mods' decisions, u go 2 nother forum.

you my friend are needed badly over at the Living and Love boards here

[Wink]

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nefar
Member # 13890

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nefar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mansa Musa! [Smile]
Posts: 229 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope the new mods act as a team
and I hope they just delete the
entirety of a blatantly insulting
ad hominem post instead of deweeding
it.

Throwing away the tub along with the
baby and the bathwater will deter
a poster from mixing discourteous
discourse with their professionally
presentable material once they see
their serious efforts discarded along
with their crudeness.

And yes I know I can be King Crude
when mods don't act like mods and
reprimand offenders and cut away
the offensive verbiage or only do
so selectively or ignore the blown
whistle.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arwa
Member # 11172

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Arwa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My suggestions

• Willing Thinker {What Box}

• Marc Washington

• Myra

• Clyde

• Mensa Musa

• AlTakruri

BTW, I'd rather have Supercar as moderator than X-Ras.

No hard feelings X-Ras, but you are extremely biased.

PS, sorry for the late entry

Posts: 2198 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Does anybody else want to step into the moderator position? So far we only have X-Ras. I want to make everything democratic so I ask all the forum members to cast their vote.
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Arwa:
My suggestions

• Marc Washington

• Myra

• Clyde

• Mensa Musa

• AlTakruri

BTW, I'd rather have Supercar as moderator than X-Ras.

No hard feelings X-Ras, but you are extremely biased.

PS, sorry for the late entry

I fail to see how I'm extremely biased, but its all good.
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Sorry sweets but no way can I monitor this forum
nor can I act as moderator because I post all of
the time and it just wouldn't be fair.

I will, however, give the mods a full earshot of
suggestions pending on their reception and how
evenhanded they implement their policies.

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
quote:
Arwa wrote:
Marc Washington

[Eek!]

Are you out of your mind??

Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
People should picture someone who can moderate, not hate on people because of their views. I don't mind other people's views as long as they're not prevented in a trolling, flaming and baiting manner.
Mystery Solver
Member # 9033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Solver         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Myra Wysinger, if she's still around and wishes to volunteer, has got my vote.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nefar
Member # 13890

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nefar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should start a poll. [Smile] Mansa Musa! Mansa Musa [Smile] !
Posts: 229 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Arwa wrote:
Marc Washington

[Eek!]

LOL Indeed, it must be a joke! [Big Grin]
Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
This forum is no longer really worth my time or effort. When I first became moderator I was in a different stage in my life but know the forum has become a burden that weighs me down. While I don't want to just hand over the position to anyone, the volunteers for the position are sparce. If nobody replaces me then most likely the plug will be pulled and ancient Egypt and Egyptology will go down in internet history.
Elijah The Tishbite
Member # 10328

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
quote:
quote:
Arwa wrote:
Marc Washington

[Eek!]

LOL Indeed, it must be a joke! [Big Grin]
Ok, I vote for Horemheb, everyone's favoraite poster here.
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Mansa Musa has not volunteered yet so you cannot vote for him.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

This forum is no longer really worth my time or effort. When I first became moderator I was in a different stage in my life but know the forum has become a burden that weighs me down. While I don't want to just hand over the position to anyone, the volunteers for the position are sparce. If nobody replaces me then most likely the plug will be pulled and ancient Egypt and Egyptology will go down in internet history.

There is just too much valuable information here for it to be deleted!

My suggestions:
  • X-ray (who doesn't seem bias to me)
  • Myra
  • Mansa Musa
  • alTakruri
  • Perhaps Rasol

Who has volunteered, by the way?

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well in that case I grudgingly volunteer.

quote:

AFRICA I
Member # 13222

Rate Member
Well two volunteers, now let's get a vote...I hope the new moderator likes tomato...

The tomato (Solanum lycopersicum) is a plant in the Solanaceae or nightshade family, as are its close cousins tobacco, chili peppers, potato, and eggplant. The tomato is native to Central, South, and southern North America from Mexico to Peru. It is a perennial, often grown outdoors in temperate climates as an annual, typically reaching to 1–3 m (3 to 10 feet) in height, with a weak, woody stem that often vines over other plants.

The leaves are 10–25 cm long, pinnate, with 5–9 leaflets, each leaflet up to 8 cm long, with a serrated margin; both the stem and leaves are densely glandular-hairy. The flowers are 1–2 cm across, yellow, with five pointed lobes on the corolla; they are borne in a cyme of 3–12 together. The word tomato derives from a word in the Nahuatl language, tomatl. The specific name, lycopersicum, means "wolf-peach" (compare the related species S. lycocarpum, whose scientific name means "wolf-fruit", common name "wolf-apple").

Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
So, who's the new moderater "Henu", X-ras or alTakruri?
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X-ras or alTakruri or Myra. Her website is really god. Looks like she has the PC thing down. Hope she vounteers. And in the world of politics the moderates always stand a better chance. The extremist though influencial/important may piss people off.

BTW - Question

I not a computer guru. . ..so is there a possibility of backing up or downloading all the info (threads) on this forum to another server or PC? That may be one way to preserve all this information. Maybe the mods can find out. There is great info in here for teaching.

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Hennu is one of the moderators that I have selected. The other moderator position is still up for grabs. So far X-ras and alTakruri has volunteered. After this week I ask all Egyptsearch posters to vote for who they feel would make the best moderator. If the moderator quits then they will be replaced by the other volunteers. The limit is three volunteers. We have room for one more. After this week we will have a new moderator.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay!
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Mr Moderator

In your cleansing of the forum I hope you do intend
to get rid of hate mongering as much as you do my
points of overkill.

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=003446;p=3#000101

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to pre-judge but I looking at the profile of Hennu his age is listed as 20yrs [Roll Eyes] This probably a "wish". [Big Grin] If not, does he have the maturity to moderate a forum as this?

quote:
Hennu is one of the moderators that I have selected. The other moderator position is still up for grabs. So far X-ras and alTakruri has volunteered. After this week I ask all Egyptsearch posters to vote for who they feel would make the best moderator. If the moderator quits then they will be replaced by the other volunteers. The limit is three volunteers. We have room for one more. After this week we will have a new moderator.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ That should be the least problem-- I've seen guys at age 40 who act like children, while children act like adults.
Henu
Member # 13490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love to moderate with Myra.
Posts: 113 | From: Dayr al-Barsha | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
Well, who are you Henu?
Or you want to keep it a secret?

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
WORD. But MOST teenagers don't have the maturity and haven't lived long enough to accumulate the experinec to handle different personalities.

Eg the thread on "are the greeks white?". At first glance I believe he missed the point and threatened to delete the thread. Missing the point is not the issue. It is the "reaction" of threatening to delete the thread. Not realizing that WHO posted it and reserve his whip until he got to the bottom of the post.

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ That should be the least problem-- I've seen guys at age 40 who act like children, while children act like adults.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
One thing I like about Myra's forum is its clear
cut list of rules of decorum breach of which not
to be tolerated.

http://www.forumcityusa.com/viewtopic.php?t=1&mforum=africa

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com