EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Ankh

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ankh
Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
''There is one rather unglamorous theory about the origin of the ankh symbol: it is quite possible that it has evolved from the hieroglyph for 'sandal'. The loop is the sole and the three line extruding from it are the leather thongs used to tie the sandal to the foot.
Needless to say, this theory tends to irritate goths and anyone who sees it as a symbol for life, balance or the union of man and woman. It does seem to carry some academic merit though.''

The Ankh, as far as I recall was always explained to me as the 'symbol of life', or the key of life.
A friend sent me the above explanation. I wonder what is the origin of the Ankh, its importance in Ancient Egypt, and does it have anything to do with a CROSS associated to a Christian sect?

Information appreciated.Thanks

Posts: 919 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Solver
Member # 9033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Solver         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've come across thesis that suggests that the symbol ultimately derived from imagery of sun; sketchy at best.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a number of theories as to the origin of the ankh symbol, but whatever it truly was there seems to be little doubt that the Egyptians did acknowledge it a a sacred and spiritual symbol from all the depictions of it they left us with.
Posts: 26307 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for answering! I am still wishing for more information.
Posts: 919 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Like what? No one really knows where the symbol originated or is based on. Wallis Budge suggests the symbol might come from a belt the goddess Aset (Isis) wore. Howard Carter even suggested the symbol to be an amalgamation of male and female genitals with the loop being the vulva and the cross the penis and testicles!
Posts: 26307 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sabalour
Member # 14023

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sabalour   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yo!

'T'Alhakimt' and 'Tanaghilt,' Some North African Finger-Rings, Illustrating the Connexion of the Tuareg with the 'Ankh' of Ancient Egypt
A. J. Arkell
Man, Vol. 39, Dec., 1939 (Dec., 1939), pp. 185-187
doi:10.2307/2791603
This article consists of 4 page(s).

The paper is available on J-Stor.

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sabalour
Member # 14023

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sabalour   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See also:

quote:
Originally posted by Please call me MIDOGBE:
Senegalese Egyptologist Aboubacry Moussa LAM pointed out the resemblances between the Egyptian & Senegambian shoes from different standpoints:

-The Pulaar name of the shoe teppite (from teppere "sole of the foot" ) resembles the AEgyptian one tjbwty (from tjbw "sole of the foot");

-Many Egyptologists think the buckle of the Egyptian shoe represents the ankh symbol and in various West-Atlantic languages, it is known as the "life of the shoe";

-The design of the Senegambian shoe sometimes reminds a stylization of the ankh symbol itself.

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005226;p=1#000000
Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Thanks to all. I will be able to include some of the above information with a gift I am offering, to a newly wed special friend, who is fascinated by the Ankh.
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I read some Egyptologist like Yurco suggested the ankh might also come from a fertility doll. Most sources still contend the symbol means life. BTW, does anybody know a company that sells quality ankh necklaces? Looking for a fairly resonably priced source.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sabalour
Member # 14023

Rate Member
Could you please elaborate on it ausar? Do these functions attributed to the symbol by YURCO are somehow similar to the Akan Akwaaba symbol?
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Almaz.:
''There is one rather unglamorous theory about the origin of the ankh symbol: it is quite possible that it has evolved from the hieroglyph for 'sandal'. The loop is the sole and the three line extruding from it are the leather thongs used to tie the sandal to the foot.
Needless to say, this theory tends to irritate goths and anyone who sees it as a symbol for life, balance or the union of man and woman. It does seem to carry some academic merit though.''

The Ankh, as far as I recall was always explained to me as the 'symbol of life', or the key of life.
A friend sent me the above explanation. I wonder what is the origin of the Ankh, its importance in Ancient Egypt, and does it have anything to do with a CROSS associated to a Christian sect?

Information appreciated.Thanks

Your question, whether deliberate or not, is specious (plausible but false); you may well have asked what all the other hieroglyphic symbols origins were. Why, for example, is the glyph for 'house' the symbol of a rectangle with an opening at the bottom (per)?
We are discussing a real life history here, not dragons nor 'walking on water' mythology; real HUMAN history.

But, I think that your question is based upon a legitimate need for an answer, so I'll answer your question with a question!
Do you see any correlation between the following symbols?

Ankh, Life, procreation, fertility, ...
 -

Male/Female sex symbols
 -

'Ankh' (Onkh) symbol means exactly what it is meant to symbolize; copulation (in the common Anglo-Saxon vernacular 'F...ing') which is the basis of human existence, if you don't copulate, there is no birth, and life ceases; it really isn't mysterious, mystical, or obscure...

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Thanks for the fascinating approach. It answered my question.

Here is a Modern Gothic version of an Ankh
 -

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Almaz.:
Thanks for the fascinating approach. It answered my question.

Here is a Modern Gothic version of an Ankh
 -

Glad to help; also we have in Coptic:
copulate, engender = nouxb
...which is what this Goth symbol is about to do!!! [Smile]

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

...BTW, does anybody know a company that sells quality ankh necklaces? Looking for a fairly resonably priced source.

You can look here.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com