EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » So called "Nubian" architecture lives on

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So called "Nubian" architecture lives on
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Gaul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/200604/the.decorated.houses.of.nubia.htm

"The Nubian crowns found painted on Christian-era tomb frescoes at Faras West, merging upturned cow horns with a crescent held aloft on a stem, were adapted in the 20th century as a purely decorative motif on household walls, both in whitewash and as actual horns set over doorways. Such imagery predates even the medieval era. Under New Kingdom pharaohs and then under the Ptolemies, Nubians were permitted to take statues of the cow goddess Hathor and moon goddess Isis from the Philae temple to their own sanctuaries south of Abu Simbel each year in a pilgrimage."

-

Posts: 455 | From: Tharsis Montes | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow,so according to Saudiaramcowworld.com,the Sudenese gov.is not going to build the Kajber dam,well that's soom good news.
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ackee

Tell me your serious. Please don't get my hopes up. I was always against this dam over nubian land.

If this is really happening, then the Sudanese Government is not as bad as I first thought. Also I can't seem to open links so I have to know from You or the Gaul.

Peace

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brada-Anansi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi KIng.please go to the Saudiramcoweorld.com link^ provided by Thegaul.
Posts: 6546 | From: japan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ackee

I can't open Links, something is wrong with my computer. Someone is blocking all the links to open.

Peace

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Maybe you are doing something wrong? i got in no problem. if someone else can give it a shot just to make sure.
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ackee

My computer is working fine now. For some reason it was slow and refused to open links. So I just turned it off and it works good now.

Peace

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheGaul, this topic was discussed several times before. Not only does Nubian architecture live on but also ancient Egyptian architecture in rural areas of Egypt.
Posts: 26356 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Gaul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^ In case you haven't noticed, old topics get bumped down if not shown at all according to the particular user's page settings. This is especially true for those of us that have not been on this board for the past few years.

A lot of newer members can now also weigh in on the topic who were not here when it was discussed before.

If it's old news to older members, then simply move on.

Htp

Posts: 455 | From: Tharsis Montes | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The architecture of Sudan has been tremendously influential even if most people do not know it. It can be seen in many parts of the world and in modern architecture, because its "language" has a universal appeal.

-

Facades and fronts similar to that above are found all over the Americas under the heading "Spanish Revival" or Mission Revival Architecture. Many buildings even without such a name have similar decorative and stylistic treatments as well.

Mission revival.
 -

Posts: 8901 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The architecture of Sudan has been tremendously influential even if most people do not know it. It can be seen in many parts of the world and in modern architecture, because its "language" has a universal appeal.

-

Facades and fronts similar to that above are found all over the Americas under the heading "Spanish Revival" or Mission Revival Architecture. Many buildings even without such a name have similar decorative and stylistic treatments as well.

Mission revival.
 -

http://architecture.about.com/od/periodsstyles/ig/House-Styles/mission-724232.htm

Another shot of the "nubian" style:
 -

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/5b526/1ea4da/

http://www.tt.fh-koeln.de/semesterprojects_extern/egypt_housing0506/architecture/architecture_nubian.html

Posts: 8901 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Gaul
Member # 16198

Rate Member
Has there been any movement by present day "Nubians" to rekindle any type of temple building or any of the religious ways of old?
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ackee:
Wow,so according to Saudiaramcowworld.com,the Sudenese gov.is not going to build the Kajber dam,well that's soom good news.

This publication dates back to 2006.

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371

Rate Member
Oh damn,so the damn dam is back again? dammit. [Mad]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com