EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Digital reconstruction of priestess of Amun, Meresamun

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Digital reconstruction of priestess of Amun, Meresamun
Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

Video on the method used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5C_qqis9ds

Article

http://www.archaeology.org/online/features/meresamun/reconstruction.html

Posts: 1554 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait...I remember her; the ancient Egyptian music 'diva' said to have great teeth: MERESAMUN: Female Egyptian Temple Singer

The side profile of Harker's reconstruction looks more realistic, if not "human", than Brassell's. The link notes:

there is a lot of similarity between the two reconstructions." The main differences, she points out, are in the shapes of the chin and the nose. "But they both have the same overbite, very much the same cheekbones, and the same shape of the eyes."

Indeed, they both appear to have picked up on a somewhat prognathic orientation of the maxilla. That's just about the only common theme I notice between the two renditions; all else, including the general appearances of the anterior renditions of the face, are markedly different, IMO. Wonder if 'skin thickness' was considered in Harker's rendition.

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KING
Banned
Member # 9422

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for KING         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yonis2

Great post Yonis. What gets me is the first pic is very African looking while the other is more like a light skinned African American. There is also some nice Jaws on the first one.

Peace

Posts: 9651 | From: Reace and Love City. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still trying to mask the African identity by putting light tan skin on an otherwise black African set of features. And the nose is more speculation than anything.
Posts: 8890 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yonis2
Member # 11348

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you want her nose to look like, Doug? And how is her skin "light tan"?
Posts: 1554 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys, certain specifics are irrelevent -- soft tissue is what determines most of what one looks like let alone just **who** you look like.

If we look at bone morphology we can still have a good grasp of what she may have looked like. Explorer made some interesting comments.

On a similar note:

The only problem i have had with florensic reconstructions in the past is that they mostly reconstruct faces from known morphologies, which could explain why in the past the reconstruction of a priest (i think the same priest that has another reconstruction on the cover of Richard Poe's Black Spark) done by Asians came out looking kinda Ghengis-Khan -ish, and Western ones usually come up having either rounder Africanoid features not seen in Northern Euros (but common in AAs) or having aqualine features commonly seen in Euros, completely one dimentional within that spectrum.

If they were to study more Levantine, Arabian, Chadian, Eastern and Southern Kel Tamasheq, and Sudanic/Nile Valley cranio-facial types reconstructions may start coming up picture perfect.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shhark
Member # 16740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shhark   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
see here www.joshharker.com for more images as well as transparencies over the skull
Posts: 3 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KING wrote:

--------------------------
What gets me is the first pic is very African looking

Define "very African looking".

while the other is more like a light skinned African American.

On what do you base this on?

People, I am exposing KING as yet another racist.

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug M wrote:
-----------------------
Still trying to mask the African identity by putting light tan skin on an otherwise black African set of features. And the nose is more speculation than anything.
-----------------------

So if an African in Niger, Chad, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Tanzania, or Mali has tan colored skin they are not African?

Why is that Doug?

Also, define what you mean by "black African" and what are "black African" features?

Why are you sounding like you are a disciple of Coon, Howell, Blemenback, etc.?

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shhark
Member # 16740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for shhark   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's quite a bit of info included about the reconstruction in this interview:
http://www.archaeology.org/online/features/meresamun/harker.html

-
 -

Posts: 3 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some more info about Meresamun. She was buried at approximately 800 BC, which is during the late 3rd intermediate period, either at the end of the Libyan period or start of the Kushite period. Considering that the Amun priesthood was strongly affiliated with royal power (it is suggested that they asked the Kushites to invade Egypt) it would be very important to be able to understand her ethnic background (Libyan, Native Egyptian, Kushite) at this very important period in Late Dynatic Egyptian history. The role of the Amun priesthood during this time is best understood by looking at the power of the office of the Divine Adoratrice of Amun.

quote:

The Divine Adoratrice of Amun was a second title created for the chief priestess of the ancient Egyptian deity, Amun. During the first millennium BCE, when the holder of this office exercised her largest measure of influence, her position was an important appointment facilitating the transfer of power from one pharaoh to the next, when his daughter was adopted to fill it by the incumbent office holder. The Divine Adoratrice ruled over the extensive temple duties and domains, controlling a significant part of the ancient Egyptian economy.

God's Wife of Amun, a title for a similar office of the high priestess, originated as a title held by a daughter of the High Priest of Amun during the reign of Hatshepsut and continued as an important office while the capital of Egypt remained in Thebes.

Later, the added title of Divine Adoratice of Amun can be seen to accompany a resurgence of the title God's Wife of Amun which had fallen into disuse, first in an attempt to weaken the power of the matrilineality, and then when the worship of Amun was suppressed with all of the other traditional deities in the eighteenth dynasty by Akhenaten, and later, eclipsed by other deities when the capital changed. The God's Wife title was revived in the 20th Dynasty, when Ramesses VI's daughter Aset held the office, as well as the additional office of Divine Adoratrice.[1] He reigned from 1145-1137 BC. She never married and seems to have been the first of the celibate holders of the office of Divine Adoratrice of Amun, as he stipulated along with the new tradition that she would adopt the daughter of the succeeding pharaoh as her successor at the end of his reign in order to facilitate the transition to the next pharaoh. [2] Generally, the tradition was followed and the position was filled by the daughter of the current king, who was adopted as the daughter of the incumbent Divine Adoratrice.

The new office reached the very heights of its political power during the late Third Intermediate Period of Egypt when Shepenupet I, Osorkon III's daughter, was first appointed to this post at Thebes. The Nubian king Kashta, in turn, appointed his daughter, Amenirdis, as her successor. The high status of this office is illustrated by the tomb of Amenirdis at Medinet Habu.[4]

Toward the end of the Third Intermediate Period and the start of the Late Period, during the 25th and 26th Dynasties, the office was at its height both politically and economically. As the role of the high priests of Amun changed from a mostly spiritual to a more 'earthly' role, the Divine Adoratrice became the main focus of the cult of Amun in Thebes. During the twenty-sixth dynasty, the Saite king Psamtik I forcibly reunited Egypt under his rule in March 656 BC and he compelled the God's Wife of Amun serving at the time, Shepenupet II, daughter of Piye, to adopt his daughter as her chosen successor to this position.

When the Napatan kings from Kush started to extend their power into Upper Egypt, the reigning God's Wife of Amun, Shepenupet I, was persuaded to adopt Amenirdis, the daughter of Kashta as her heir. This sequence was followed throughout the 25th Dynasty until Egypt was conquered by Psamtek I, who had his daughter, Nitocris I, adopted by Amenirdis II. The Adoption Stelae of Nitocris' shows the ceremony involved by this event, and the prestige of the role:[3]
“ "I have given to him my daughter to be a god's wife and have endowed her better than those who were before her. Surely he will be gratified with her worship and protect the land who gave her to him. ”

At this time, the dynastic rulers were based in the Nile Delta region, and the office of the Divine Adoratrice was a means to secure peaceful relations with the Theban area where the cult of Amun was centered. A number of the God's Wives had mortuary shrines constructed on the west bank of the river, mostly alongside the Medinet-Habu of Ramesses III.

Because of the power and prestige of the offices, the ceremony of adoption by the current incumbent of the post was used as a way for the kings of the delta area to project their power into the south of Egypt. In the same manner it was used by Napatan kings to project their power northward into Egypt proper. The power of the Divine Adoratrice of Amun was limited to the area around Thebes, which was the center of the cult.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_Adoratrice_of_Amun

Suffice to say, the article, while claiming to provide so much about the life and time of Meresamun, actually provides very little. The late intermediate period is very confusing as many of the dynasties (22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th) existed at the same time, with different dynasties in the Delta and Upper Egypt. Therefore, more information about what ethic identification along with more about the time would have been important.

As for the reconstruction itself, the color in the 3d image is actually more artistic than photoreal.

See below for other examples of work in ZBrush:
http://www.selwy.com/2009/project-for-the-king/

But, with forensic reconstruction, the accuracy of the result is based on the input data used to model the fleshy parts of the face. And, yes, many of these databases do group features by race or ethnicity. That is part of the way forensic reconstructions are used in order to identify people.

From the page:
quote:

As soon as I have that best-of skull model, I am able to take information based on the gender and age and race, and I choose a set of tissue depth markers. There are a few databases out there that we use in forensic art to determine what the tissue depths are for a particular skull. Again, those are based on gender and race and age. And if there's any information regarding her weight--if she was particularly obese or particularly emaciated--there are some adjustments there, also. But I choose the appropriate tissue depth marker to go with, and I create those in a program called SolidWorks, that's actually another program I use. And then all these depth markers, they're like little plugs, at different lengths. And they do exactly what they're called--they tell me the depth of the tissue in different areas of the skull. And each one of those is labeled and has to be put on the skull in a specific landmark. There are approximately 25, maybe 30, tissue depth markers that go all over the skull. Once I have this skull with all the markers on it, which tells me how deep the different muscles and skin and fat tissues are going to be in those areas, I basically start building up muscle groups and tissues in all those areas, bringing them up to the levels of tissue that the depth markers tell me to go to. Once I have all that specific anatomy built up, and everything's correct--and I'm following the skull the whole time, because the skull is the architecture that is going to really control the shape an the placement of all these things and control what she ends up looking like--once I have all that on there, the final skin is put over it and then I work on the cosmetic features, you know, the shape of the lips, some of the details of the nose and the eyes, and even the arch of the eyebrows--where they start and stop--everything is determined from the underlying skull. The skull is great--there's so much there to tell us where features on the face lie, and even their shapes, and where the start and stop.

But more importantly, nowhere is it mentioned what inputs he used in terms of age and race to pull data from these databases. That would have been good to know and understand in terms of how the ethnicity of the mummy was identified as there were no doubt various ethnic groups in Egypt at the time from Kushites to Libyans and Meshwesh and probably others.
Posts: 8890 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shhark
Member # 16740

Rate Member
The reconstruction was not done to finitely determine ethnicity. Ethnicity of ancient Egyptians is uncertain. An "average" database for the tissue depth markers was used. Oddly, the variance in tissue depths between races is not hugely significant. It helps, as done any information when trying to reconstruct a face from a skull, but even a caucasion dataset used over a negro skull will still end up looking very similar to the person. It is the skull that controls what we look like more than the soft tissues. The nose, lips, & certain elements about the eyes are determined by the skull also. Her age was was determined by the radiologist also by studying the skull. A moderate skintone was chosen to "split the difference".
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Doug we're waiting.

Doug M wrote:
-----------------------
-----------------------

So if an African in Niger, Chad, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Tanzania, or Mali has tan colored skin they are not African?

Why is that Doug?

Also, define what you mean by "black African" and what are "black African" features?

Why are you sounding like you are a disciple of Coon, Howell, Blemenback, etc.?

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shhark:

The reconstruction was not done to finitely determine ethnicity. Ethnicity of ancient Egyptians is uncertain. An "average" database for the tissue depth markers was used. Oddly, the variance in tissue depths between races is not hugely significant. It helps, as done any information when trying to reconstruct a face from a skull, but even a caucasion dataset used over a negro skull will still end up looking very similar to the person. It is the skull that controls what we look like more than the soft tissues. The nose, lips, & certain elements about the eyes are determined by the skull also. Her age was was determined by the radiologist also by studying the skull. A moderate skintone was chosen to "split the difference".

The ethnicity of the ancient Egyptians is no mystery! They were indigenous (black) Northeast Africans! The best modern representatives of the ancient Egyptians are their direct descendants with minimal admixture which would be the rural non-Arab Fellahin of Upper Egypt! It's a shame that modern 'experts' either deny these facts and even deny the direct descendants of the ancients living in Egypt today!
Posts: 26243 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com