EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Rare Fayoum faces by Mena7 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Rare Fayoum faces by Mena7
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mena7 where you hiding?

Your 'museum' collects some unknown gems.
Looking for the fresco of Mykenean marines
backing one Libyan faction against another
it was your Black Roman and Greek thread had
the clearest image. Further proof of using the
copious ES archive as document sourcing.

-

Can someone vet it?

Features not congruous with all other Fayoum portraiture.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -  -  -

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

-  -
 -

--------------------

Tukuler
Member # 19944

-

Can anybody vet this?
Style and material appear to be copying Fayoum portraiture.

--------------------

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are others but all posted above I could have sired them on a red-black, a mulatta, or an [off/near-]white mommy.

=-=

About 21st century art inspired by Fayoum portraits.
No need to Bridgerton Roman period Egyptian art.
There's enough authentic African histoy being
left untouched to go around misappropriating
other peoples histories. Makes it look like
Africa(ns) have none of their own.

=-=

In the empire's capital women's hair/wigs are
often enough done in styles popular among
today's ADOS/FBA and W Afrs. Were there
African hair braiding salons in Rome?

--------------------

Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful images,even though the first one kinda looks fake. It might be because she looks like any sista on the street as to why I like the first pic the best.
Posts: 1123 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget this one of two "brothers".
 -

I honestly wonder whom the subjects of the Fayum portraits were. Phenotypes aside, their attire looks more Greek or Roman than native Egyptian to me. If they're supposed to be ethnically Egyptian, they sure show a lot of evidence for cultural Greco-Romanization.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Giorgio Armani's ancestors' designs wuz da shih too!

Yeah OP looks western diaspora to me too.
Now about the pro Afr braid salon

-

-  -

Not your typical Germanic nor Romantic braiding.
Perhaps introduced by Habeshat Teimani-Itiopi?

-

Roman women indulged in all kindsa hairstyles and wigs
if flix like 1980s Caligula to 2010s Spartacus get it right.

-

OL Original Latina mami with Afro-dyte complex.

--------------------

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its a work done my a modern Artist who is using the Fayuim style. Ill have to find the link to their work, I think its on Flickr if I remember correctly

quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
Mena7 where you hiding?

-

Can someone vet it?

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The portrait was done using an IPhone App by an artist named John Bavaro

http://www.johnbavaro.com/fayum-portraits.html

Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Mummy Portrait of Artemidorus, Early 2nd Centruy. Artist Unknown (Egyptian). Encaustic on limewood; L: 171 cm. overall. Hawara (Faiyum), Egypt, British Museum, London, England. Archive Source: Scholars Resource 9913

https://za.pinterest.com/pin/511932682618748925/

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thereal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Javier Bardem if he was a mulatto.
Posts: 1123 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yatunde Lisa Bey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^

I think a better match is a younger

Giancarlo Giuseppe Alessandro Esposito

Father Italian Mother African American

-

--------------------
It's not my burden to disabuse the ignorant of their wrong opinions

Posts: 2699 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yatunde Lisa Bey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

^^^ his curl pattern... in fact all of the fayum in including the women have curl patterns that are not "european... but admixed/creole typical curl patterns

-

there is an artist that is doing roman statue recreations with AI & Photoshop...

-

-

-

--------------------

Posts: 2699 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
I love this recreation of Hateshepsut

-

--------------------

Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
There something weird about those statutes representation as real people,they look off with a stereotypical European face. There foreheads look incompatible with their faces.

That Hapshepsut looks like Sudanese singer Alsarah with a wider nose.

https://dch81km8r5tow.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Alsarah.jpeg

I wonder if they looked more like Alrima,a moroccan rapper who I believe is based out of france.
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71K78mIEKZL._SS500_.jpg

Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
What is a stereotypical European face?

I had never really paid attention to the roman statues physiognomies before.. one would just assume yte people are yte people

What is shocking to me as I actually LOOK at these statues is how Irish/English they look.. and very unlike current Southern Italians today

the roman statues do not look like the famous Med Race

--------------------

Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
For me it would be like Brad Pitt and various white male actors in north American cinema.
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Pt 1

Among themselves Europeans have a great
Germanic/Romantic divide (alpine/slav
Euros tend to either, pending geography).
Nordicentrists and Medicentrists fight
each other almost as much as both fight
Blackcentrics. There's even a great
divide between Greeks and Macedonians.

Paint residue on some statues suggest
hair, eye, and skin color. My question
is what does the recontructing artist
use to base their choice of colors?

We can't tell it but Euros have just
as many complexions as we do and many
of them don't see brownblack through
yallared when looking at us just brown.

--------------------

Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Thereal:
For me it would be like Brad Pitt and various white male actors in north American cinema.

Brad Pitt reads Nordic/Swede to me... Pitt is Americanized spelling of German Pitz

To me the Roman statues look like the current English and not the current Greeks or Romans..

quote:
Among themselves Europeans have a great
Germanic/Romantic divide (alpine/slav
Euros tend to either, pending geography).
Nordicentrists and Medicentrists fight
each other almost as much as both fight
Blackcentrics. There's even a great
divide between Greeks and Macedonians.

Paint residue on some statues suggest
hair, eye, and skin color. My question
is what does the recontructing artist
use to base their choice of colors?

I think I lean to the statues as Alpine def

Yes... Euro's def find distinction among themselves.. that is why Amerikkka has never had a President that is from the Med Race proper.. and I would inlcude some New world Latinos in the Med Race proper... Most Presidents have been English/German/Dutch/Irish/Scot

The guy is also using historical accounts of the Emperors to come up with some coloring

here is Septimus

-

--------------------

Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Fayum Portraits look alikes

-

Gregory Abbott or Phillip Michael Thomas
 -

-

--------------------

Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
 -

^^^ this one is def Kap

-

--------------------

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Didn't see YLB's reply before composing this post.
But it's only natural dark skinned Amazigh Roman
emperor Septimius Severus'd pop up. No images
but Manilius' pen portrait gives general complexions
of peoples from the 'Roman world' from the palest
to the most color rich by geography. Iirc he lists
four contrasted yte Euro skin colors. Also era paintings
show us what hair eye and skin colors dominated in Roman Italy.

But the so-called olive complexion is pure horsemanure.
Nobody has green skin and the only human skin colours

https://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/post/19197
https://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/post/2791/thread

olives come in are black and red, Africans' tones
as in --excuse me-- black nigger and red nigger.

And despite my protest it was a blue-eyed black haired
pink skinned Greek woman hipped me to this fact and
who knows olives better than Greek womens?

She say: I see yours but where's my skin?

-  -  -

=-=

Pt 2

Polychrome of Severus and Julia

=-=

When the Eskenazi Museum reopens, in a year or two, it will host a special exhibition featuring the busts of Severus and Julia. To show the original polychromy, Abbe and Van Voorhis have considered projecting colored light on the statues for part of the day. (A set of friezes at the Ara Pacis museum, in Rome, have been presented this way, to pleasing effect.) Another idea is to present a video animation in which the color gradually appears on the two Roman busts, suggesting how successive layers of paint might have been applied.

Abbe and Van Voorhis will have to engage in some speculation, particularly when it comes to hair color and skin tone. They have no reason to believe that there wasn’t pigment on the skin or hair of the busts, but they have not found any traces of it. “The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence,” Abbe wrote to me, in an e-mail. “Classic neoclassical assumption!”

Later, in another e-mail, Abbe pointed out that much of the Roman élite “came from diverse-looking stock—Berber, Arab, Transylvanian, Danubian, Spanish, etc.” He also noted that sculptures of African people from the ancient world were sometimes carved from black stones, such as basalt, and then painted with reddish-brown pigments to create a lifelike effect. One such example, at the Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe, in Hamburg, is the head of a young boy, from the first century B.C.; patches of mahogany-colored paint can still be seen on the nose and the cheeks.

-
A bust of a young African boy, sculpted in the first century B.C. Ancient sculptures of African
people were often made of basalt and painted with reddish-brown layers to create a lifelike effect.
Mahogany-colored paint is still visible on the boy’s face.
Courtesy Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe Hamburg

Severus and Julia were Romans, but neither was of Italic descent.

Severus was of Berber origin, from an élite family in Libya.

Julia came from a priestly family in Emesa, Syria.

A panel painting of the couple, known as the Berlin Tondo, has survived: Severus has a chestnut-brown complexion and a grizzled gray beard; Julia is paler, with dark hair and eyes. The Tondo will help guide Abbe and Van Voorhis in their work on the busts, just as the Fayum portraits aided Verri.

=-=

No one [GIANT] please bother posting washed out photo images of that famous
tondo
like always happens to soften/hide the actual tone of dark skin in ancient art.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, hide that
Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

-

A thread could be made contrasting dark skin in
ancient art that GIANT always whitewashes with
washed out color as the authentic img here

-

versus the wash out img here

-

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
"authentic" here meaning "the one I like better"
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

_______________________________________________________________________________^^^^ the blank wall color is not brown

this photo looks the most accurate to me thus far but there are a lot of unknown factors in any of these photos and in the condition of the art

https://www.allposters.com/-sp/Italy-Naples-Naples-Museum-from-Pompeii-House-of-Giuseppe-II-VIII-2-39-Sofonisba-s-Death-Posters_i10550344_.htm

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You so funny!!!

Hahahaa u jus lak Chump
projecting your mess as
somebody elses M O.

You data mine hard to find
and post washed out images
depicting false color/tint and
have a whole history of it.

Why do you do it?
Because in each case
it's "the one you like better".

But why frown & clown when
so many love you and your
'lesser the black
better the show'

washed out/altered imgs?

Now go on and blank out your useless 4 posts
or even better data mine us up some new rarely
seen imgs of Roman and ancient Greek faces,
please. I know you can, but will you?

Thass all folks
no more my attention for GIANT today
too many can attest the above facts.

Authentic
always means direct from the museum
holding the primary original vs ones with repro
versions as I taught GIANT re Narmer's Palette etc.
But beware touch ups, restorations, and refinishes.

=-=

For those who didn't follow our new Amazigh(?) member's link,
this is authenticity provided by the holder of the 'primary document'.

-

https://artsandculture.google.com/art-projector/BgGHPp17eOovtA?hl=fr
https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/death-of-sophonisba-banquet-scene/BgGHPp17eOovtA?hl=fr

Death of Sophonisba (banquet scene)
-20 a.C. - 25 d.C.
Afficher en réalité augmentée

<< Display in augmented reality >>

Il quadro, delimitato da una cornice gialla, mostra una scena di banchetto che si svolge in un sontuoso ambiente caratterizzato da colonne che sostengono drappeggi.

<< The painting, delimited by a yellow frame, shows a banquet scene that takes place in a sumptuous environment characterized by columns supporting draperies. >>

Détails

Titre: Death of Sophonisba (banquet scene)
Date de création: -20 a.C. - 25 d.C.
Dimensions physiques: 78x112 cm
Photo Credits: Luigi Spina
Origin: Pompeii
Museum Location: room LXXI
Inv.: Inv. 8968

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
I simply put up the wikipedia because it was convenient, like you have done numerous times
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

https://artsandculture.google.com/art-projector/BgGHPp17eOovtA?hl=fr
https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/death-of-sophonisba-banquet-scene/BgGHPp17eOovtA?hl=fr

Death of Sophonisba (banquet scene)
-20 a.C. - 25 d.C.
Afficher en réalité augmentée

Il quadro, delimitato da una cornice gialla, mostra una scena di banchetto che si svolge in un sontuoso ambiente caratterizzato da colonne che sostengono drappeggi.

Détails

Titre: Death of Sophonisba (banquet scene)
Date de création: -20 a.C. - 25 d.C.
Dimensions physiques: 78x112 cm
Photo Credits: Luigi Spina
Origin: Pompeii
Museum Location: room LXXI
Inv.: Inv. 8968 [/QB]

^^ this is a google link, not a link to the Museum. The picture may or may not be official

-

this is not the museum link either however
this picture has the fame and inventory number on the frame

Now in Naples Archaeological Museum. Inventory number 8968.

This was previously (apparently wrongly) identified as the death of Sophonisba or as Scipio and Sophonisba.

See Real Museo Borbonico, Vol. 1, Ta XXXIV.

See Helbig, W., 1868. Wandgemälde der vom Vesuv verschütteten Städte Campaniens. Leipzig: Breitkopf und Härtel. (1385)

So how could if be that the background in one is dark brown and in another with a textured cement like look? I'm not sure, maybe it was remounted but I don't know the details.
The brown background if true is likely painted over later

Tukuler
Member # 19944

OK now, replying on the serious side

There is no brown background.
That's just where paint and plaster
peeled off.

The authentic img from the holding museum photographer: Luigi Spina
presented above can be compared with the
one offered by Allposters photographer: Samuel Magal which has no
official emblem of the museum. It's
color may be the truest not at all
washed out like the one from that
book over in the Massinissa thread.

-
These two are both authenticated Inv.8968 The complexions above look true to life to me.
 -

This one's from Rollers' Oxford published book. In my eye few skin tones there resemble those in real life.
 -

Looking at the img in its museum frame w.inv # at bottom
I'm supposing this is the actual mural right off the Pompeii
wall it was painted on and has been matted and framed for
display by the museum? Right? ??

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[QB] There is no brown background.
That's just where paint and plaster
peeled off.

The authentic img from the holding museum
presented above can be compared with the
one offered by Allposters which has no
official emblem of the museum. It's
color may be the truest not at all
washed out like the one from that
book over in the Massinissa thread.

the official emblem is used on a google site URL so it is not clear to be if that is the Museum's photo or if the photo has been added to the museum logo but not by the museum

-

this area is drastically different and I'm trying to find out why. One is dark with no texture
the other is much lighter and has texture, the blank areas.
That is why I changed the source form the other thread's OP. The cement-like texture looked more authentic to me but now I'm not sure of the explanation for this difference but am investigating

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Mena7 where you hiding?

-

Can someone vet it?

-
people have since pointed out that the top picture is modern

but what are you referring to in particular when you say " Features not congruous" ?

Tukuler
Member # 19944

The museum's logo for one tells me the Google sponsored site is indeed by the museum.
Unauthorized use surely carries legal consequences. But lemme dig deeper. Here ya go ...

quote:

Google Arts & Culture is a non-profit initiative. We work
with cultural institutions and artists around the world.
Together, our mission is to preserve and bring the
world’s art and culture online so it’s accessible to
anyone, anywhere.

https://about.artsandculture.google.com/

Again, follow the link and click its links
Don't be 'scarred' cos it ain't in English.
Aïmane posted the link from a francophone
land or ISP so it's in French? I dunno?
Cos France has a claim on Naples Italy?

You can zoom this baby up 100% detail if needed

after 100% just keep clicking the zoom icon
in the picture within the picture within the picture
for unbelievable square millimetre detail. That
3rd lil frame is how you navigate this mega level.

=-=

Why I invited vetting the OP img and one other?

Paint quality and wideness temple to temple
are a tip off. Widest is cheek to cheek in
the Real McCoy's. Plus the cracks look more
like paint than aged wood. Lovely as she is
I'm pleased to know its factual 'provenance'
as disclosed earlier by Thereal Jari and Doug.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

You can zoom this baby up 100% detail if needed

after 100% just keep clicking the zoom icon
in the picture within the picture within the picture
for unbelievable square millimetre detail. That
3rd lil frame is how you navigate this mega level. [/QB]

I didn't notice that tool before and how high quality the image is

-

I could be wrong but this lower right portion looks like raw canvas showing through what seems to be brown paint on a canvas
My theory is that these fragments could have been glued to a canvas or simply laid flat on top of it, that this was done a long time ago but might not be ancient

They may have later mounted the fragments in cement and framed it to put it on a wall in the museum to give it a more wall like background for the fragments
I messaged an expert to see what the story is

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're being mystified by underlying smoothed wall casting again.

It's no different than the missing portions here
It's what's underneath not an overlay as you've
once proposed. Try n remember this time. It
applies to various such works worldwide.

-

1st the wall is smoothed in preparation for
2nd the plaster base that
3rd layout to full pigmenting will be applied to
4th execute a fresco

quote:
Dictionary
fres·co

/ˈfreskō/
noun

plural noun: frescoes

a painting done rapidly in watercolor on wet plaster on a wall or ceiling, so that the colors penetrate the plaster and become fixed as it dries.

• the fresco method of painting, used in Roman times and by the great masters of the Italian Renaissance including Giotto, Masaccio, and Michelangelo.

Again its where paint and plaster fell off the wall.
It's nothing integral to the mural's composition.
No competent individual will tell you otherwise.

The museum had to back, mat, and frame the surviving
fresco fragment if that's wha's dere hangin' on da wall.

Hope you're enjoying yanking my chain
but hopefully somebody'll take away
something relevant from this 'Voyage
of the Obvious'.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
You're being mystified by underlying smoothed wall casting again.

It's no different than the missing portions here
It's what's underneath not an overlay as you've
once proposed. Try n remember this time. It
applies to various such works worldwide.

-

1st the wall is smoothed in preparation for
2nd the plaster base that
3rd layout to full pigmenting will be applied to
4th execute a fresco

quote:
Dictionary
fres·co

/ˈfreskō/
noun

plural noun: frescoes

a painting done rapidly in watercolor on wet plaster on a wall or ceiling, so that the colors penetrate the plaster and become fixed as it dries.

• the fresco method of painting, used in Roman times and by the great masters of the Italian Renaissance including Giotto, Masaccio, and Michelangelo.

Again its where paint and plaster fell off the wall.
It's nothing integral to the mural's composition.
No competent individual will tell you otherwise.

The museum had to mat and frame the surviving
fresco fragment if that's what's hanging on
da wall.

Hope you're enjoying yanking my chain
but hopefully somebody'll take away
something relevant from this 'Voyage
of the Obvious'.

Yes I know all this. Above the wall of the tomb.
You can see the texture of the stone. On top of the stone are fragments of a painting which was once a complete layer of stucco plaster on the wall but much of it fell off

-
A similar look at on this bottom version but not the top

The top I believe is the painted plaster fragments on top of a canvas of brown

the bottom, these same fragments mounted into a cement-like modern material to resemble those fragments on the original wall

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ OK kewl, Kitty [Wink]

=-=

quote:
Originally posted by Thereal:
That Hapshepsut looks like Sudanese singer Alsarah with a wider nose.

https://dch81km8r5tow.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Alsarah.jpeg

I wonder if they looked more like Alrima,a moroccan rapper who believe is based out of france.
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71K78mIEKZL._SS500_.jpg

Sfunny is genomics iinm shows at least one shared ancestral
strain from Sudan north and westward to Morocco. Seen similar
Alsarah facial bone structure in some Kenya highland ladies.

How does Alrima strike you for the man behind the lady
in that Death of Sophonisba fresco. How far'm grasping?

=-=

So Leese, you n Thereal gonna show us the Two Brothers
of Fayoum as Two modern maternal Brothers from da Bronx maybe?

quote:
Originally posted by Yatunde Lisa:
I had never really paid attention to the roman statues physiognomies before.. one would just assume yte people are yte people

<< bowl me over like a ten pin >>

What is shocking to me as I actually LOOK at these statues is how Irish/English they look.. and very unlike current Southern Italians today

the roman statues do not look like the famous Med Race

You know
just like in them BBC
docudramas ... no ...
hell with that, like
all anglo productions
of ancient Rome, even
some 'Tally Boy buy in.

Never no stereotypical
Tuscany to Sicily types
accents nor mannerisms.

--------------------

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bzzzaapppt -- ouch. HEY! Just noticed the swastika.

On ES always out of the old something new huh?

quote:
Originally posted by One Third African:
Don't forget this one of two "brothers".
 -

I honestly wonder whom the subjects of the Fayum portraits were. Phenotypes aside, their attire looks more Greek or Roman than native Egyptian to me. If they're supposed to be ethnically Egyptian, they sure show a lot of evidence for cultural Greco-Romanization.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
what swastika?
Thereal
Member # 22452

Rate Member
On the left side of the lighter skin brother.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
got it now
I wonder if anybody ever wrote about that

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
https://www.jstor.org/stable/24519765?seq=1

Brothers or Lovers? A New Reading of the "Tondo of the Two Brothers"

swastika mentioned here, fertility symbol they say

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Solid!

But ain't these the guys got the same moms?

Sibling incestual male homosexuality in upper class Roman Alexandrians?

My word. << slapping chest 3 X >>

Xyyman just choked on his soup!

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
midnight at the oasis
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
They are so obviously brothers... typical in admixed people some siblings are lighter than others ... Yte people who are unfamiliar with admixed people would of course project whatever is in their subconscious minds on something to which they have no knowledge

-

-

-

this can happen over generations over time after initial admixture

I was watching a video on the Tuareg the "white" people of the Sahara... and Euro's crack me up

little things like thinking some of these people have totally straight hair do not understand how admix hair reacts in cold/dry and hot dry temps versus sticking that same person in 90% humidity..

also, the variety of hair textures in some Taureg families have ranges from 4c curls to straight...

this is also an indication of admixture could have occurred thousands of years ago before the transaharan slave trade

--------------------

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Originally posted above on January 27, 2021 on by Tukuler:

Didn't see YLB's reply before composing this post.
But it's only natural dark skinned ['Libyan'] Roman
emperor Septimius Severus'd pop up. No images
but Manilius' pen portrait gives general complexions
of peoples from the 'Roman world' from the palest
to the most color rich by geography. Iirc he lists
four contrasted yte Euro skin colors. Also era paintings
show us what hair eye and skin colors dominated in Roman Italy.

But the so-called olive complexion is pure horsemanure.
Nobody has green skin and the only human skin colours

https://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/post/19197
https://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/post/2791/thread

olives come in are black and red, Africans' tones
as in --excuse me-- black nigger and red nigger.

And despite my protest it was a blue-eyed black haired
pink skinned Greek woman
hipped me to this fact and
who knows olives better than Greek womens?

She say: I see yours but where's my skin?

-  -  -

=-=

Pt 2

Polychrome of Severus and Julia

=-=

When the Eskenazi Museum reopens, in a year or two, it will host a special exhibition featuring the busts of Severus and Julia. To show the original polychromy, Abbe and Van Voorhis have considered projecting colored light on the statues for part of the day. (A set of friezes at the Ara Pacis museum, in Rome, have been presented this way, to pleasing effect.) Another idea is to present a video animation in which the color gradually appears on the two Roman busts, suggesting how successive layers of paint might have been applied.

Abbe and Van Voorhis will have to engage in some speculation, particularly when it comes to hair color and skin tone. They have no reason to believe that there wasn’t pigment on the skin or hair of the busts, but they have not found any traces of it. “The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence,” Abbe wrote to me, in an e-mail. “Classic neoclassical assumption!”

Later, in another e-mail, Abbe pointed out that much of the Roman élite “came from diverse-looking stock—Berber, Arab, Transylvanian, Danubian, Spanish, etc.” He also noted that sculptures of African people from the ancient world were sometimes carved from black stones, such as basalt, and then painted with reddish-brown pigments to create a lifelike effect. One such example, at the Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe, in Hamburg, is the head of a young boy, from the first century B.C.; patches of mahogany-colored paint can still be seen on the nose and the cheeks.

-
A bust of a young African boy, sculpted in the first century B.C. Ancient sculptures of African
people were often made of basalt and painted with reddish-brown layers to create a lifelike effect.
Mahogany-colored paint is still visible on the boy’s face.
Courtesy Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe Hamburg

Severus and Julia were Romans, but neither was of Italic descent.

Severus was of Berber origin, from an élite family in Libya.

Julia came from a priestly family in Emesa, Syria.

A panel painting of the couple, known as the Berlin Tondo, has survived: Severus has a chestnut-brown complexion and a grizzled gray beard; Julia is paler, with dark hair and eyes. The Tondo will help guide Abbe and Van Voorhis in their work on the busts, just as the Fayum portraits aided Verri.

=-=

No one [GIANT] please bother posting washed out photo images of that famous
tondo
like always happens to soften/hide the actual tone of dark skin in ancient art.

--------------------

Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Shocking mummy details from the Fayum portraits.

When it does not go like you thought it would! Lol.. the look on Brier's face when the skull is a black African and not the stylized Greek

-

-

-

-

WATCH VIDEO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A0yFKx1TKs

--------------------

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ LOL Is it really that "shocking"??

We've already had discussions before on why we shouldn't rely too much on artwork as accurate portrayals of reality:

Why lioness and kinfolk should refrain from imposing their sick ideologies on EA art

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Look at you, took about a month off, first thing you do is try to instigate
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com