EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Oldest City/kingdom in Africa (to date)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oldest City/kingdom in Africa (to date)
typeZeiss
Member # 18859

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for typeZeiss   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This video is rather old but not sure if you guys heard about this before or not. Wanted to share this with you guys. They are excavating the oldest kingdom in Africa (found so far)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjv6YKqwkKo&feature=related

Posts: 1296 | From: the planet | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5ky old city/Kingdom?

I thought the oldest city in Africa found so far was Sai (also in Sudan, though). I was thinking Yam (mentioned by Kemetians themselves), but now I'm thinking "Sai".

Edit: that video mentions Kerma, and now I've just found what I was taling about, this quote mentions Kerma as well as a 6-7 thousand year old city, Africa's oldest:

quote:
Here is the site of a large Neolithic settlement (dating probably from about
5000-4000 B.C.); the evidence for this was revealed in aerial photographs
shown at a meeting in Lille, France, in 1994. By now it has probably been
partly excavated. This would seem to be the largest, earliest "city" known
in Africa (including Egypt). Here, too, is the site of a large Bronze Age town,
probably dating as early as 2500 B.C. It may have been the capital of the
"Kingdom of Yam" mentioned in Egyptian documents of the Sixth Dynasty.
By about 2000 B.C. it seems to have been part of the early kingdom of Kush,

centered at Kerma, and it remained probably the chief northern city of that
state (ca. 2000-1500 B.C.), until conquered by the Egyptian pharaohs in early
Dynasty 18. It was evidently called "Sha'a" (from which the modern name Sai
derives); it had its own kings, whose tombs lay on the west side of the townsite
and which are surrounded by hundreds of other smaller tombs. After it was
conquered by the Egyptians, it became the site of an Egyptian fort and town
until the Egyptians withdrew northward from the region about 1150 B.C.

Excavator:
Francis Geus, Lille, France

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Iioness,
Member # 19312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Iioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yam was a city? [Confused]
Posts: 558 | From: forum | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
typeZeiss
Member # 18859

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for typeZeiss   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Whatbox:
5ky old city/Kingdom?

I thought the oldest city in Africa found so far was Sai (also in Sudan, though). I was thinking Yam (mentioned by Kemetians themselves), but now I'm thinking "Sai".

Edit: that video mentions Kerma, and now I've just found what I was taling about, this quote mentions Kerma as well as a 6-7 thousand year old city, Africa's oldest:

quote:
Here is the site of a large Neolithic settlement (dating probably from about
5000-4000 B.C.); the evidence for this was revealed in aerial photographs
shown at a meeting in Lille, France, in 1994. By now it has probably been
partly excavated. This would seem to be the largest, earliest "city" known
in Africa (including Egypt). Here, too, is the site of a large Bronze Age town,
probably dating as early as 2500 B.C. It may have been the capital of the
"Kingdom of Yam" mentioned in Egyptian documents of the Sixth Dynasty.
By about 2000 B.C. it seems to have been part of the early kingdom of Kush,

centered at Kerma, and it remained probably the chief northern city of that
state (ca. 2000-1500 B.C.), until conquered by the Egyptian pharaohs in early
Dynasty 18. It was evidently called "Sha'a" (from which the modern name Sai
derives); it had its own kings, whose tombs lay on the west side of the townsite
and which are surrounded by hundreds of other smaller tombs. After it was
conquered by the Egyptians, it became the site of an Egyptian fort and town
until the Egyptians withdrew northward from the region about 1150 B.C.

Excavator:
Francis Geus, Lille, France

it says there is a city under that of Kerma that dates back 5,000 years. 4,000 years ago puts us at 2,500 - 2,000 bc. 5,000 years ago puts us @ around 3,000 - 3,500 B.C.
Posts: 1296 | From: the planet | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right, and 6-7 thou puts us at 4,000-4,500 - 5,000-5,500 B.C.E.. [Smile]

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
typeZeiss
Member # 18859

Rate Member
Whatbox im confused, which kingdom are you saying is 6 to 7 thousand years old? Sai? I have never heard of it, I am going to read up on it.
Whatbox
Member # 10819

I meant to link to it, here yuh go:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005028

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

typeZeiss
Member # 18859

Rate Member
whatbox thank you!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com