EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The Ancient Egyptian View of Race (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Ancient Egyptian View of Race
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ancient Egyptian ethnographic "mural of the races" found in the tomb of Rameses III - Monuments from
Egypt and Ethiopia by Karl Richard Lepsius (German: "Denkmaler aus Agypten und Athiopian"). French
Egyptologist Champollion found similar murals in other royal tombs.
 -

The hieroglyphics to the right of each figure labels each one:

-
Rome (abbreviated; Ret) - Ancient Egyptians: Men. We also have "romé na romé" or "Men above men (mankind)."
This ideology allows us to understand that there are actually only three races represented here; Black, White,
and Semitic since the Egyptians considered themselves in a class of their own, while still showing that they belonged to the Black racial group.

-
Namu - Semite:Travelers or wanderers: We also have "Namu Sho" or "People who travel the sands": Nomads or Bedu.

-
Nahasu - Other Africans: Strangers or barbarians; Blacks who were not Black Egyptians

-
Tamhu - European: Red/pale yellow people

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actual photo, not illustration, Tomb of Rameses III

-

Nahasu _Nahasu___/_Tamhu__Tamhu-/____Namu__Namu
____NUBIAN__________LIBYAN____________SEMITE

-

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anguishofbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wally:
 -

A description by Champollion, where he says the Egyptian and the Nubian are depicted almost the same, is found in Diop's book African origin. I'm not sure if it refers to this particular mural.
Posts: 4254 | From: dasein | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's up with this white boy? You are really becoming annoying. What is the point of this post. . .along with the one from Rameses III tomb.

If you point is, Africans were slaves come out and say it. Idiot! we are not fooled!!!

quote:
Originally posted by the lion:

-

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
What's up with this white boy? You are really becoming annoying. What is the point of this post. . .along with the one from Rameses III tomb.

If you point is, Africans were slaves come out and say it. Idiot! we are not fooled!!!

quote:

-

quote:
Originally posted by anguishofbeing:
quote:
you missed the whole point of this thread that modern illustrations are different from the actual photos of the original paintings on the wall. Then you go off posting another one.

Don't be a fool, troll. No missed the point of this troll thread.
My point is modern illustrations don't match actual photos.
Secondly that Egyptians do not portray themselves as having the exact same clothing as Nahasu.
(that should be obvious)
And the other photo shows captive Nubians looking different from their captor Egyptians.

I'm of West African heritage, I don't care that much about these AEs with ostentatious tombs and dead culture

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confirming Truth
Member # 17678

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confirming Truth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have earned my respect in this thread 'the lion.' That was an excellent, right and exact post you put up.
Posts: 1340 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
One way apart from the different skin tone and features you can tell a Nubian from an Egptian is that the Nubians are often shown with a wide sash which goes diagonally across their chest, swings around their waist like a belt and the remainder hangs far down below their waist. That is not the AE style to have it that wide and going across the chest diagonally.
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

-

-

You are incredibly unintelligent and completely illiterate in the Mdu Ntr. The
first figure - duplicated to create symmetry with the more important text above
- is NOT Nahasu but rather Romé, which can be determined by the Ntr or "God"
glyph between the first two figures...

The first figure(s) is an Ancient Egyptian!

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anguishofbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
One way apart from the different skin tone and features you can tell a Nubian from an Egptian

What is the skin tone and features that supposedly distinguishes the two?

-

Posts: 4254 | From: dasein | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by the lion:

-

glyph between the first two figures...

The first figure(s) is an Ancient Egyptian!

1) these are three PAIRS of figures

2) Egyptians don't wear the same as Nahasu

That is obvious

stop lying for political convenience, that goes against the Ma'at

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
One way apart from the different skin tone and features you can tell a Nubian from an Egptian

What is the skin tone and features that supposedly distinguishes the two?

-
tribute bearers to Hekanefer, Prince of Miam (Aniba), a region of northern Nubia

good point, sometimes you
can't tell exclusively by skin tone. That's why I also included facial features and clothing. The picture above shows two shades of Nahasu they are working together, have Nubian features, the same clothing and hairstyle.

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
quote:
good point, sometimes you can't tell exclusively by skin tone. That's why I also included facial features and clothing. The picture above shows two shades of Nahasu they are working together, have Nubian features, the same clothing and hairstyle.

LOL predictably, troll, you ran from skin tone now you want to hide behind features. But not even here you can get comfort since those features ["elongated type"] are also shared by both groups of blacks. [Eek!]
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

- [/QB]

who are the people in this picture according to you?
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
I thought I asked you troll to tell me the features that supposedly distinguish the two?
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
I thought I asked you troll to tell me the features that supposedly distinguish the two?

I will answer. In the picture below everybody has the same features

-

Now a question for you, who are the people above?
Don't pussy out on me and silently jump in your rabbit hole.

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Jesus Christ bitch, what are the features that supposedly distinguish "Nubians" from Egyptians. You said there were, I'm waiting.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Jesus Christ bitch, what are the features that supposedly distinguish "Nubians" from Egyptians. You said there were, I'm waiting.

I'll be happy to answer the question but first you have to apologize for calling me a bitch and then make a new separate post asking the question with no sarcastic wording.
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
LOL! Again, you predictable troll.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
I think title of this thread is misleading:

"Topic: The Ancient Egyptian View of Race"

There is no information on their view of race or even if they had one.

The word "race" being used is a questionable translation.

quote:

This ideology allows us to understand that there are actually only three races represented here; Black, White,
and Semitic since the Egyptians considered themselves in a class of their own, while still showing that they belonged to the Black racial group.

the problem with this statement is that

1) Wally is claiming that the Egyptians considered themselves in a class of their own, while still showing that they belonged to the Black racial group yet at the same time showing pictures where he claims there is no attempt made to make an Egyptian look in any way, including clothing, as in a different class, such as by clothing.

2) how is this depicting that depicting three "races" is "ideological" In fact the different types of people depicted are more than three if you look at the full picture as alTakruri pointed out:

-

Once you see the whole picture (even though a photo would be better), and see that there are 5 or 6 different types represented the idea that the word "races" as a translation may have been wrong and what we are really looking at are various nationalities. For example, the people in the full picture that look like they are of the same race or near to the same race aren't even grouped together.

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:

There is no information on their view of race or even if they had one...

...it is because you're a child who, being unable to read, can just look at the
pictures.

--You then accuse the Ancient Egyptians of not having a view on race in order for
you to present your own ill informed one.

--If you could read Mdu Ntr, you would know that the seven figures below are labeled;
 -
Romé, Namu, Nahasu, Romé, Namu, Nahasu, Tamhu - that's four!

-
The un-obscured part of the word Romé (Ntr or
"Divine men/people")
 -

--and you poor simpleton, I doubt that you understand the concept of ideology;
the Ancient Egyptians referred to themselves as "romé na romé" or "Men above
mankind", which most would agree is explicit ethnic chauvinism...

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

--and you poor simpleton, I doubt that you understand the concept of ideology;
the Ancient Egyptians referred to themselves as "romé na romé" or "Men above
mankind", which most would agree is explicit ethnic chauvinism... [/QB]

oh you mean racists?
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[QB]
quote:

There is no information on their view of race or even if they had one...

...it is because you're a child who, being unable to read, can just look at the
pictures.

--You then accuse the Ancient Egyptians of not having a view on race in order for
you to present your own ill informed one.

--If you could read Mdu Ntr, you would know that the seven figures below are labeled;
 -
Romé, Namu, Nahasu, Romé, Namu, Nahasu, Tamhu - that's four!

-
The un-obscured part of the word Romé (Ntr or
"Divine men/people")
 -

1) It was dishonest for you to post only the lower portion of this mural when you knew there were more figures. This is because you have what you claim to be two Romés on the bottom. No problem they look the same. But the Romé in the top row looks different. I guess you wanted to be simplistic about it and leave that out.

2) this illustration (not a photo) still does not make sense to me. Having two Namus makes sense because there are two types of Namu showing. So there are two of them two show that Namu can look two ways.
Regardless of a different looking Rome on the top row why is there two Romes on the bottom looking exactly the same? What is the purpose of that? You have one of each of what Budge calls "races". But that scheme is broken, all of the sudden there are two for no apparent reason.

3) There are consistensies with clothing as it pertains to nationality, You continue to ignore this.

4) tou take this one illustration from one tomb and make a broad reaching statement "
"The Ancient Egyptian View of Race"

That's being a simpleton

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
 -

A description by Champollion, where he says the Egyptian and the Nubian are depicted almost the same,
is found in Diop's book African origin. I'm not sure if it refers to this particular mural.

It does indeed, and these early Egyptologists clearly
recognized and stated, because they could read
Mdu Ntr, that these three races/ethnicities/phenotypes
could be represented by any nationality which fit into the Ancient Egyptians'
concept of the three racial types; you know,
like today, a European can be a Greek, a German,
a Frenchman...

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
ASIATICS (NON-BLACKS) WERE ALSO CALLED AMU BY THE ANCIENT EGYPTIANS,
WHICH ESSENTIALLY MEANS CRUDE, UNSOPHISTICATED PEASANTS...

-

quote:
The Yoruba phrase "apa amu sua", which means "an unthrifty person" is derived
from three Ancient Egyptian words:

Apa - "he who belongs to the house i.e. servant"

Amu - one of the Asiatic tribes engaged in domestic service in Ancient Egypt

Sua (Sua-nit), a nome in Ancient Egypt. The phrase is a contemptuous term which preserves
the idea of the wastefulness of foreign domestic servants in Ancient Egypt who hardly knew
the value of crockery and other articles they sometimes smashed to pieces.
--Ade from J. Olumide Lucas' book

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:
 -

A description by Champollion, where he says the Egyptian and the Nubian are depicted almost the same,
is found in Diop's book African origin. I'm not sure if it refers to this particular mural.

It does indeed, and these early Egyptologists clearly
recognized and stated, because they could read
Mdu Ntr, that these three races/ethnicities/phenotypes
could be represented by any nationality which fit into the Ancient Egyptians'
concept of the three racial types; you know,
like today, a European can be a Greek, a German,
a Frenchman...

The whole problem with that is that if there was some European mural showing "races" and in the white category they had one figure representing a Frenchman and another figure used to show a different nationality of white person. a German, they would be distinguished by different clothing and hairstyle. You can't escape this logic.
There were early Egyptian military invasions of Nubia. The Egyptians portrayed the Nubians in their art with different clothing, jewelry and hairstyle. But we can't look at that because it doesn't fit into an agenda.

This illustration in the first post is labeled "Mural of Races"

Elsewhere it is called "Table of Nations"

Nationalism is different than Racial Supremacy

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
quote:
The Egyptians portrayed the Nubians in their art with different clothing, jewelry and hairstyle.

So you finally dropped your features and skin tone distinctions. LOL!
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
The Egyptians portrayed the Nubians in their art with different clothing, jewelry and hairstyle.

So you finally dropped your features and skin tone distinctions. LOL!
no, Nubians who were sometimes friendly with the Egyptians other times at war with them, are portrayed by the Egyptians in addition to different clothing, jewelry and hairstyle and the people they portray with this different clothing, jewelry and hairstyle have darker skin, wider nostrils and larger lips.
happy now?

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
quote:
have darker skin, wider nostrils and larger lips.happy now?

Yeh, I'm happy you dummy. You already said you can't tell by skin tone, now you claim they have "darker" skin. LOL!

You say they have wider nostrils and larger lips yet the pictures above show how idiotic your stereotypical portrayal of "Nubian" features are. LOL!

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
have darker skin, wider nostrils and larger lips.happy now?

Yeh, I'm happy you dummy. You already said you can't tell by skin tone, now you claim they have "darker" skin. LOL!

You say they have wider nostrils and larger lips yet the pictures above show how idiotic your stereotypical portrayal of "Nubian" features are. LOL!

Look at all the pictures throughout the dynasties not just the one with the incorrect explanation that happens to fit your political agenda
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
Nice try chimu, there are Egyptians also with dark skin and broad features. So again I ask, what are these distinguishing phenotypes that supposedly separates "Nubians" from Egyptians? Your political agenda is multiracialism, this is why you have yet to cite any scientific study to back up any of your claims. [Roll Eyes]
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.touregypt.net/images/touregypt/slaves1.jpg.

Here are a couple of things to note about the above: 1) the paint of the guards or "policemen" has faded or maybe scrubbed. There is one whose paint is not faded and it is exactly the same colour as the sitting prisoners. I don't get the impression that the prisoners are slaves. Most likely war or skirmish prisoners. But they do look like South Sudanese such as Dinka, Nuer, or any of the host of South Sudan ethnic groups.

The guards themselves absent the paint would not be bona fide Egyptians. They could be migrants into Egypt who were given guard work. [Think of the Southern United States and the border guards many of whom are of Mexican-mestizo extraction]

With the brown paint restored--again the guards could locals or resident non-locals. The important thing though is to translate the caption on the mural.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Nice try chimu, there are Egyptians also with dark skin and broad features. So again I ask, what are these distinguishing phenotypes that supposedly separates "Nubians" from Egyptians? Your political agenda is multiracialism, this is why you have yet to cite any scientific study to back up any of your claims. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by lamin:
But they do look like South Sudanese such as Dinka, Nuer, or any of the host of South Sudan ethnic groups.

yes I agree
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:

The important thing though is to translate the caption on the mural.

That is absolutely correct. Some here would rather post images and then present
their OWN views on the topic. This thread is about the Ancient Egyptians' own views...

For example:

How the Ancient Egyptians viewed the Sudan historically

Names for Sudan found in Budge's The Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary, Vols 1&2

Khentu Hon Nefer (page 554a) = founders of the Excellent Order.
Budge: "peoples and tribes of Nubia and the Egyptian Sudan." For "Hon" see page 586b.

Hon Nefer (page 1024b) = Excellent Order

Kenus (page1024b) = mighty; brave (from Kenu, page 772a)

Ta Khent (page 1051b/page 554b) = land of the beginning.

Eau (page 952b/page 17b) = the old country

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

The important thing though is to translate the caption on the mural.

That is absolutely correct. Some here would rather post images and then present
their OWN views on the topic. This thread is about the Ancient Egyptians' own views...

For example:

How the Ancient Egyptians viewed the Sudan historically

Names for Sudan found in Budge's The Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary, Vols 1&2

Khentu Hon Nefer (page 554a) = founders of the Excellent Order.
Budge: "peoples and tribes of Nubia and the Egyptian Sudan." For "Hon" see page 586b.

Hon Nefer (page 1024b) = Excellent Order

Kenus (page1024b) = mighty; brave (from Kenu, page 772a)

Ta Khent (page 1051b/page 554b) = land of the beginning.

Eau (page 952b/page 17b) = the old country

I see your strategy. It is to use Budge's dictionary to define a single word and then make a broad reaching statement covering the whole history about it.
The Egyptians had different types of relations with the Kushites of Sudan in different periods. Sometimes they had friendly relations and sometimes they were at war with them. Are you telling me that there are no negative comments by the Egyptians toward them?
I don't think a dictionary definition of a single word resolves a cultural viewpoint or that one cultural viewpoint is maintained the same way in a long history.
Today we speak of nationalities, there are a huge number of them. When we speak of race it is a category of only a few types. Numerous nationalities can be fit into each so called "race" category.
The mural in question is sometimes called "The Mural of Races" and elsewhere called the "Table of Nations"
Find me the glyph which distinguishes a word "race" from a different word "nation" or "nationality".
Also any Mural which is alleged to show different races should also have apart from a generalized definition of a single word in a dictionary (assuming that the definition is perfect) -should have bodies of text describing a so called racial description of each the figure shown.
Now give us translations of the all the text surrounding this Table of Nations or the so called "Mural of Races". It is not talking about race.

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
quote:
Numerous nationalities can be fit into each so called "race" category

Yes, but how you do it (e.g. Negro=Nubian, Egyptian=nonNegro) is based purely on conventional anthropological stereotypes; it is not science.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Numerous nationalities can be fit into each so called "race" category

Yes, but how you do it (e.g. Negro=Nubian, Egyptian=nonNegro) is based purely on conventional anthropological stereotypes; it is not science.
Egypt was more diverse than Nubia because of it's location, at the narrow bottleneck between continents bordering both the Mediterranean and Red Seas.
Egyptian= Negro/nonNegro

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
MESIT: RACE
Note the conceptualization...

-

We also have:
mesu nebu: all who are born; all mankind

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
quote:
Egyptian= Negro/nonNegro

^ Like I said, social constructs based on (outdated) anthropological racial stereotypes. [Roll Eyes]
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Egyptian= Negro/nonNegro

^ Like I said, social constructs based on (outdated) anthropological racial stereotypes. [Roll Eyes]
discarding racial stereotypes is not the same as discarding the concept of race altogether
anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
And you seem to treasure racial stereotypes dont you troll? lol
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Why are you children using my thread to argue
your foolishness? Take your besides the point
crap to the more appropriate Ancient Egypt
forum!

If you don't have anything to add or to debate
regarding the topic, then DON'T POST HERE
ANYTHING ELSE!

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
"my thread"? lol

Some of us take this internet thing way too seriously... [Roll Eyes]

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
"my thread"? lol

Some of us take this internet thing way too seriously..

Are you that dense??
Whoever starts a topic, it becomes their thread; lacking sufficient moderation,
it then becomes the responsibility of the topic originator to moderate his own
thread...

You can LOL until your ass falls off, but refrain from posting irrelevant nonsense
on this thread!

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
"my thread"? lol

Some of us take this internet thing way too seriously..

[b]Are you that dense??
Whoever starts a topic, it becomes their thread;

Are you focking twelve? Chill the fock out.
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Ancient Egyptian ethnographic "mural of the races" found in the tomb of Rameses III - Monuments from
Egypt and Ethiopia by Karl Richard Lepsius (German: "Denkmaler aus Agypten und Athiopian"). French
Egyptologist Champollion found similar murals in other royal tombs.
 -

The hieroglyphics to the right of each figure labels each one:

-
Rome (abbreviated; Ret) - Ancient Egyptians: Men. We also have "romé na romé" or "Men above men (mankind)."

-
Namu - Semite:Travelers or wanderers: We also have "Namu Sho" or "People who travel the sands": Nomads or Bedu.

-
Nahasu - Other Africans: Strangers or barbarians; Blacks who were not Black Egyptians

-
Tamhu - European: Red/pale yellow people

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
ASIATICS (NON-BLACKS) WERE ALSO CALLED AMU BY THE ANCIENT EGYPTIANS,
WHICH ESSENTIALLY MEANS CRUDE, UNSOPHISTICATED PEASANTS...

-

quote:
The Yoruba phrase "apa amu sua", which means "an unthrifty person" is derived
from three Ancient Egyptian words:

Apa - "he who belongs to the house i.e. servant"

Amu - one of the Asiatic tribes engaged in domestic service in Ancient Egypt

Sua (Sua-nit), a nome in Ancient Egypt. The phrase is a contemptuous term which preserves
the idea of the wastefulness of foreign domestic servants in Ancient Egypt who hardly knew
the value of crockery and other articles they sometimes smashed to pieces.
--Ade from J. Olumide Lucas' book

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Every serious student of Egyptology should read carefully and analytically the
following quote by Champollion the younger regarding the oldest ethnological document
available to us:

quote:
Right in the valley of Biban-el-Moluk, we admired, like all previous visitors,
the astonishing freshness of the paintings and the fine sculptures on several tombs.
I had a copy made of the peoples represented on the bas-reliefs. At first I had thought,
from copies of these bas-reliefs published in England, that these peoples of different races
led by the god Horus holding his shepherd's staff, were indeed nations subject to the rule
of the Pharaohs. A study of the legends informed me that this tableau has a more general
meaning. It portrays the third hour of the day, when the sun is beginning to turn on its
burning rays, warming all the inhabited countries of our hemisphere. According to
the legend itself, they wished to represent the inhabitants of Egypt and those of foreign
lands. Thus we have before our eyes the image of the various races of man known to
the Egyptians and we learn at the same time the great geographical or ethnographical
divisions established during that early epoch. Men led by Horus, the shepherd of the
peoples, belong to four distinct families. The first, the one closest to the god, has a dark
red color, a well-proportioned body, kind face, nose slightly aquiline, long braided hair,
and is dressed in white. The legends designate this species as Rot-en-ne-Rome, the race
of men par excellence i.e., the Egyptians. There can be no uncertainty about the racial
identity of the man who comes next: he belongs to the Black race, designated under
the general term Nahasi. The third presents a very different aspect; his skin color borders
on yellow or tan; he has a strongly aquiline nose, thick, black pointed beard, and wears
a short garment of varied colors; these are called Namou. Finally, the last one is what we
call flesh-colored, a white skin of the most delicate shade, a nose straight or slightly arched,
blue eyes, blond or reddish beard, tall stature and very slender clad in a hairy ox-skin, a
veritable savage tattooed on various parts of his body; he is called Tamhou. I hastened to
seek the tableau corresponding to this one in the other royal tombs and, as a matter of fact,
I found it in several. The variations I observed fully convinced me that they had tried to
represent here the inhabitants of the four corners of the earth, according to the Egyptian
system, namely: 1. the inhabitants of Egypt which, by itself, formed one part of the world ...;
2. the inhabitants of Africa proper: Blacks; 3. Asians; 4. finally (and I am ashamed to say so,
since our race is the last and the most savage in the series), Europeans who, in those remote
epochs, frankly did not cut too fine a figure in the world. In this category we must include
all blonds and white-skinned people living not only in Europe, but Asia as well, their starting
point. This manner of viewing the tableau is all the more accurate because, on the other
tombs, the same generic names reappear, always in the same order. We find there Egyptians
and Africans represented in the same way, which could not be otherwise; but the Namou
(the Asians) and the Tamhou (Europeans) present significant and curious variants. Instead
of the Arab or the Jew, dressed simply and represented on one tomb, Asia's representatives
on other tombs (those of Ramses II, etc.) are three individuals, tanned complexion, aquiline
nose, black eyes, and thick beard, but clad in rare splendor. In one, they are evidently
Assyrians, their costume, down to the smallest detail, is identical with that of personages
engraved on Assyrian cylinders. In the other, are Medes or early inhabitants of some part
of Persia. Their physiognomy and dress resemble, feature for feature, those found on
monuments called Persepolitan. Thus, Asia was represented indiscriminately by any one of
the peoples who inhabited it. The same is true of our good old ancestors, the Tamhou. Their
attire is sometimes different; their heads are more or less hairy and adorned with various
ornaments; their savage dress varies somewhat in form, but their white complexion, their
eyes and beard all preserve the character of a race apart. I had this strange ethnographical
series copied and colored. I certainly did not expect, on arriving at Biban-el-Moluk, to find
sculptures that could serve as vignettes for the history of the primitive Europeans, if ever
one has the courage to attempt it. Nevertheless, there is something flattering and consoling
in seeing them, since they make us appreciate the progress we have subsequently achieved.

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
those most detested by the Egyptians were the Asian shepherds of all kinds, from
the Semites to the Indo-Europeans, for these, no epithets were insulting enough...
"ignoble Asians," "accursed" and "pestiferous," "pillagers," "thieves..."

---from African Origin of Civilization, C.A. Diop, page 62

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
I have to thank Wally for posting the above Champollion. It clears up a dispute over the identities of the four "races" or nationalities.
It turns out that the identities of these races or nationalities has nothing to do with the four figures in the initial post. The identities of the figures apply to four different figures, total 8, of the same mural as discussed here:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=006797

anguishofbeing
Member # 16736

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
those most detested by the Egyptians were the Asian shepherds of all kinds, from
the Semites to the Indo-Europeans, for these, no epithets were insulting enough...
"ignoble Asians," "accursed" and "pestiferous," "pillagers," "thieves..."

---from African Origin of Civilization, C.A. Diop, page 62

This blows the perception/myth that AE was a multiracial society (as compared to "Nubia") out of the water.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com