EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Any info on the Igbo people of Nigeria?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any info on the Igbo people of Nigeria?
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive discovered that I have ancestry Via DNA from Nigeria, probably the Igbo people because they seem to have been the main people to be enslaved from that area...

From WIKI

The transatlantic slave trade which took place between the 16th and late 19th century affected the Igbo heavily. Most Igbo slaves were taken from the Bight of Biafra (also known as the Bight of Bonny).[58] This area included modern day southeastern Nigeria, Western Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and parts of Northern Gabon.[59] Major trade ports for goods and slaves in the area included Bonny and Calabar Town. A large number of slaves from the Bight of Biafra would have been Igbo.[60][61] Slaves were usually sold to Europeans by the Aro Confederacy who kidnapped or bought slaves from Igbo villages in the hinterland.[62] Most Igbo slaves, however, were not victims of slave raiding wars or expeditions, but were sometimes debtors and people who committed what their communities considered to be abominations or crimes.[63] Igbo slaves were known for being rebellious and having a high rate of suicide in defiance of slavery.[64][65][66] For still unknown reasons, Igbo women were highly sought after.[67][68]

Contrary to common belief, European slave traders were fairly informed about various African ethnicities, leading to slavers' targeting certain ethnic groups which plantation owners preferred. Ethnic groups consequently became fairly saturated in certain parts of the Americas.[69] The Igbo were dispersed to colonies such as Jamaica,[17] Cuba,[17] Haiti,[17] Barbados,[70] the United States,[71] Belize[72] and Trinidad and Tobago,[73] among others.

Elements of Igbo culture can still be found in these places. For example, in Jamaican Patois the Igbo word unu, meaning "you" plural, is still used.[74] "Red Ibo" (or "red eboe") describes a black person with fair or "yellowish" skin. This term had originated from the reported prevalence of these skin tones among the Igbo but eastern Nigerian influences may not be strictly Igbo.[19][75] The word Bim, a colloquial term for Barbados, was commonly used among enslaved Barbadians (Bajans). This word is said to have derived from bi mu in the Igbo language (or bem, Ndi bem, Nwanyi ibem or Nwoke ibem, which means "My people"), but may have other origins (see: Barbados etymology).[76][77] A section of Belize City was named Eboe Town after its Igbo inhabitants.[78] In the United States the Igbo were found most commonly in the states of Maryland and Virginia, where they remained the largest single group of Africans.[79][80] Recent Igbo-speaking immigrants have also settled in Maryland, attracted to its strong professional job market.[81]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_people

anyone have any info on the Igbo? any Igbo decended people post here..?

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:
Ive discovered that I have ancestry Via DNA from Nigeria, probably the Igbo people because they seem to have been the main people to be enslaved from that area...

anyone have any info on the Igbo? any Igbo decended people post here..?

Nice. What DNA ancestry company did you use? What is your Y-DNA haplotype? Or did you use STR or MtDNA?

You should take a look at the nairaland forum. They are well versed into that kind of thing (the history of various people in Nigeria).

Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it was my Dad who took the test, so this is through my fathers side. On his side of my DNA I know I have Nigerian(African) French/Creole(reflected in my last name) and Native American ancestry. Im completly in the dark on my mothers side though. I want to take a a test myself but Im strapped for cash-lol. I will soon though.

Im not going to lie, I kinda wish I was Mande, Im in love with the Ancient Ghana/Wagadu Empire.

I was also kinda excited to find out I might have Creole ancestry from Louisiana. I have a unique last name, and I was student teaching for a teacher who was Creole and when he saw my last name he told me he knew people with my last name from LA. but spelled different(more French).

LA has a very unique history as far as AA history is concerned. Blacks and Mulattos had more freedom and control from what I gather.

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well it was my Dad who took the test, so this is through my fathers side. On his side of my DNA I know I have Nigerian(African) French/Creole(reflected in my last name) and Native American ancestry. Im completly in the dark on my mothers side though. I want to take a a test myself but Im strapped for cash-lol. I will soon though.

Im not going to lie, I kinda wish I was Mande, Im in love with the Ancient Ghana/Wagadu Empire.

LOL, yeah, Ancient partly Muslim empires in Africa (aka converted leaders with syncretism) like Wagadu toward the end, seems to get more press than other African Kingdoms. I'm sure, with your new perspective you will find many information about Igbo people and their history. As I said the nairaland forum are very good for that kind of thing.
Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What nrY is restricted to Nigeria?

Nigeria is two tiered, south and north.

Southerners include Yoruba, Igbo, etc.

Northerners could be Fulani, Hausa, etc.

The Busawa of Nigeria are Mande.

Then there are some Chadic speakers and
various other peoples of lower head counts.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I was also kinda excited to find out I might have Creole ancestry from Louisiana. I have a unique last name, and I was student teaching for a teacher who was Creole and when he saw my last name he told me he knew people with my last name from LA. but spelled different(more French).

LA has a very unique history as far as AA history is concerned. Blacks and Mulattos had more freedom and control from what I gather.

The Mande options are still open, via your Mom. Who knows?
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Troll Patrol:

Yes and maybe through STR and SNP too. For example, from the paternal grandmother or maternal grandfather, since Y-DNA and MtDNA are only one line of descent and African-Americans are a mix of different African ethnic groups mostly. As people from different African ethnic background and geographical location intermarried with each other since their arrival in America. So the paternal grandmother or maternal grandfather could be closer to Mande people or any other ethnic group(s).
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who did they test with and what specific test did they take?
Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amun-Ra The Ultimate:
quote:
Originally posted by Troll Patrol:

Yes and maybe through STR and SNP too. For example, from the paternal grandmother or maternal grandfather, since Y-DNA and MtDNA are only one line of descent and African-Americans are a mix of different African ethnic groups mostly. As people from different African ethnic background and geographical location intermarried with each other since their arrival in America. So the paternal grandmother or maternal grandfather could be closer to Mande people or any other ethnic group(s).
Yes, that's true.
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ironlion is half Igbo, half Italian
Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Mande people are a very elite people in world history. The Mande people were part of the Kushite and Egyptian civilization. The Mande created the Olmec civilization . The Algoumequin/Algonquin Amerindian are descendant of the Mande. The Pueblo Indian are descendant of the Dogon a Mande people. The Etruscan spoke Mande and created Rome. The Cretan were Garamande. The Mande were part of the Shang dynasty in China.

In Esoteric history the Mande tribe of Dan move to Europe and created MaceDania, DANmark, SweDAN, ScaDANavia, LonDAN city, Danube river etc.

--------------------
mena

Posts: 5374 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IronLion
Member # 16412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronLion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
Ironlion is half Igbo, half Italian

Here read this...

Similarities in the ideas and concepts of the ancient Igbo and the ancient Greek – by Jide Uwechia

Comparision between ancient Greek and ancient Igbo numbering systems and other fundamental concepts: by Jide Uwechia

I noted in my studies the great similarities between the numbering system of the ancient Greeks and the ancient Igbos of Nigeria. The Igbos are one of the major cultural grouping in Nigeria, and number close to 35 million in population. Modern Igbo is a remnant, a vestige of what was once a great and powerful culture, whose ancient but forgotten impacts are still seen in diverse and cultures places. Including perhaps, ancient Greece.

Similarities in numbering system is one of those cultural similarities that conclusively proves a centre of diffusion between two cultures. For number is a fundamental phenomenon, and it is based on scientific obeservations and naming conventions.

In today’s modern world, the institutes of mathematics that abound in numeorus universities of the world, help preserve and advance a common understanding in the mathematical calculations and measurements across different countries.

There is an establishment, or rather some Royal Institute which is responsible for the conventions of the current metric system used all over the globe. The normative values, the conventional theorems and formulas, the established names of the measuring units, all were developed and inaugurated by a group of scientists working together.

All this is to point out, that when you come across two very similar numbering systems between two apparently different cultures, there is more to it than meets the eye. There was indeed contact between the two cultures. The mathematical ideas they share together indeed must have come from a common centre of dispersion.

Is there some connections between the ancient Igbos of West Africa and the ancient Greeks of the Mediterranean?

Well there is the shared sickle cell gene, Haplotype 19 or the Benin Haplotype.

There is also common occurences of some major Igbo male Y-DNA haplogroup in Greece, for example Y-DNA E-1, E3A, YAP, as well as R1B.

It may not be common known but as late as 1920s, there were thousands of black people living in Greece. Most of them were practising Muslims because the Turks had conquered Greece many centuries back.

Those black Greek people were deported to the Turkish side of the border and branded Muslims, Turks, or Turkish slaves, by the treaty of Lusanne 1924 which brokered peace between Turkey and emergent modern Greece.

Many of today’s so-called Greeks may have descended from ancient Greeks, but we know that even many more, ar simply modern settlers brought in from East and North-West Europe, to re-claim land from the “Ottoman Turks.”

However, all this is just introductions, since that is not our focus of research in this article.

In this article, we present the numbering system of the ancient Igbos of Nigeria, and those of the ancient Greeks. We also compared basic root words between the two apparently different cultures to underscore their similarities.

One should consider those similarities between the names of the numbers, and between words and concepts very carefully and should make the necessary conclusions that they need to reach.

The numbers are as follows:

1, (Gr:Enas, Ig:Otu) 2, (Gr:dyo, Ig::abuo, Hausa: Diu) 3, (Gr: tria, Ig: ator, itor), 4, (Gr:tessera, Ig:ano, ino, eno), 5, (Gr: pente, Ig: ise) 6, (Gr:exi, Ig:Isi) 7 (Gr: epta, Igbo: asa, esa) 8 (Gr:okto, Ig:asato) and 9 (Gr:enneas, Ig:itenani) 10 (Gr: Deka, Igbo:ili) in Greek are similar to those words as found in Igbo.

Greek word for God is Theos, similar to Igbo: Chee (also spelt: chi).

Greek word for mouth is toma, Igbo is onu (but the verb “to chew” is expressed in Igbo as “tama” …)

Greek for ear is auti, Igbo is nti

Greek for go is paw, Igbo is pua

Greek for here is eva, Igbo is eba

Greek for outside is exo, igbo is ilo

Greek for carry is ptarum, Igbo is paru, para

Water is Mnero, in Igbo it is mmiri

Greek for up is epano (sky: ouranous), in Igbo it is enou

Greek for earth is gi, in Igbo aha-ji-oku is another name for the earth goddess in her form as provider of food especially yams (a root plant).

See http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/similarities-in-the-ideas-and-concepts-of-the-ancient-igbo-and-the-ancient-greek-by-jide-uwechia/

[Big Grin]

READ THIS ALSO:

The Muurish Igbos

http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/the-lost-moorish-igbo-israelites-of-sao-tome-the-hebrew-tribes-of-biafra-by-iroabuchi/

Posts: 7419 | From: North America | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Ill have to ask, I forgot the name.

I think it was this one..
http://www.africanancestry.com/

I remember it had Africa in the name. Any company you'd suggest?

quote:
Originally posted by beyoku:

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
You're right I could very well be of any of those people, I just read in my research that majority of African Americans have Igbo ancestry and that they were the main target from the area of Nigeria but you're right.

quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
What nrY is restricted to Nigeria?

Nigeria is two tiered, south and north.

Southerners include Yoruba, Igbo, etc.

Northerners could be Fulani, Hausa, etc.

The Busawa of Nigeria are Mande.

Then there are some Chadic speakers and
various other peoples of lower head counts.

Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
I just want to add that Nigeria is a country which have written a fair amount of books in english related to its history. I'm sure some of them relate the history of the Igbo in an interesting manner. If you got some good library nearby, you may want to check that out too. Books are always more complete that what you can gather on the internet (beside ebooks from published works, of course).
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Ill have to ask, I forgot the name.

I think it was this one..
http://www.africanancestry.com/

I remember it had Africa in the name. Any company you'd suggest?

quote:
Originally posted by beyoku:

And some people are worried about Apples new iPhone biometric fingerprint detection and some NSA "possibilities" . [Big Grin]

By the way, are you going to take a trip to Nigeria. My barber is Nigerian, he says it's a great place.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com