EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The genetic origin of modern Europeans (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The genetic origin of modern Europeans
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comments by Sara Osman

Geographical locations of analysed samples, with colour coding matching the PCA Geographical locations of analysed samples, with colour coding matching the PCA
© Nature
Analysis of the genomes of hundreds of Europeans suggests that most present-day Europeans originate from three ancestral populations.

In a study published in Nature1 last week, a large international team, including contributors from Oman and Morocco, sequenced the ancient genomes of a ~7,000-year-old farmer from Germany, and eight ~8,000-year-old hunter-gatherers from Sweden and Luxembourg, and compared them to 2,345 contemporary European genomes. The patterns of SNPs—single base variations between the genomes—were used to trace back the ancestry of modern-day Europeans, and propose a new model of prehistoric European population dynamics.

The results indicate that, contrary to previous thought, farming was not introduced into Europe by immigrants from the Near East who replaced native Europeans, but rather that native Europeans had already intermixed with the Eurasian immigrants before their arrival in central Europe.

This provides new insight into the origin of farming in Europe, and shows that present-day Europeans originate from an ancestral mix of three distinct populations; west European hunter-gatherer, early European farmer (a mix of indigenous Europeans and near Eastern immigrants) and ancient north Eurasian – an older Eurasian population that split before the emergence of the early European farmer.

-
Geographical locations of analysed samples, with colour coding matching the PCA
© Nature

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always entertained the idea of Europe being similar to India as it was populated by different waves who people during different time periods. "Modern" Europeans are said to not be descendants of more Ancient Europeans, not even during the mid-early neolithic. Of course I'm not saying anything new.

Many studies say the same thing as the one you posted.

Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Above mentioned study is behind the paywall
but its figures and tables are available
here http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nature13673
  • Iosif Lazaridis et al
    Ancient human genomes suggest three ancestral populations for present-day Europeans
    Nature 513, 409–413 (18 September 2014)

We sequenced the genomes of a ~7,000-year-old farmer from Germany and eight ~8,000-year-old hunter-gatherers from Luxembourg and Sweden. We analysed these and other ancient genomes1, 2, 3, 4 with 2,345 contemporary humans to show that most present-day Europeans derive from at least three highly differentiated populations: west European hunter-gatherers, who contributed ancestry to all Europeans but not to Near Easterners; ancient north Eurasians related to Upper Palaeolithic Siberians3, who contributed to both Europeans and Near Easterners; and early European farmers, who were mainly of Near Eastern origin but also harboured west European hunter-gatherer related ancestry. We model these populations’ deep relationships and show that early European farmers had ~44% ancestry from a ‘basal Eurasian’ population that split before the diversification of other non-African lineages.

STRUCTURE-like analysis @ Extended Data Figure 3: ADMIXTURE analysis (K = 2 to K = 20).

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posts: 42921 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ponsford
Member # 20191

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ponsford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A recent study based on mitochondrial dna haplogroup H show that ancient Europeans mysteriously disappeared,it was extensively discussed on EgyptSearch.
Posts: 121 | From: Guyana | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ponsford:
A recent study based on mitochondrial dna haplogroup H show that ancient Europeans mysteriously disappeared,it was extensively discussed on EgyptSearch.

I think I know what study you're talking about.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/13/130423-european-genetic-history-dna-archaeology-science/

Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlessedbyHorus:
quote:
Originally posted by Ponsford:

I think I know what study you're talking about.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/13/130423-european-genetic-history-dna-archaeology-science/

Current articles of the past couple years on early Europeans may not all neatly dovetail with each other.
They are theoretical

the article you mention
Modern Europe's Genetic History Starts in Stone Age
describes different waves if migration into Europe, each one replacing the other "a huge populaltion turnover"
( A similar article:
Ancient Europeans Mysteriously Vanished 4,500 Years Ago
www.livescience.com/28954-ancient-europeans-mysteriously-vanished.html‎
Apr 23, 2013 .

This contradictcs Lazaridis et al>
Ancient human genomes suggest three ancestral populations for present-day Europeans

The aforementioned Europeans Mysteriously Vanished article is based on

Neolithic mitochondrial haplogroup H genomes and the genetic origins of Europeans

Paul Brotherton,

I have a thread on it
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=008516

^^ will the moderator kindly delete the giant space scene spam on it thanks.

Lazaridis' basal Eurasian and Brotherton's vanishing have been mentioned a lot on other threads

However I think the angle that has not been discussued is the apparent contradictory conclusions between these articles

Posts: 42921 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:

Comments by Sara Osman

Geographical locations of analysed samples, with colour coding matching the PCA Geographical locations of analysed samples, with colour coding matching the PCA
© Nature
Analysis of the genomes of hundreds of Europeans suggests that most present-day Europeans originate from three ancestral populations.

In a study published in Nature1 last week, a large international team, including contributors from Oman and Morocco, sequenced the ancient genomes of a ~7,000-year-old farmer from Germany, and eight ~8,000-year-old hunter-gatherers from Sweden and Luxembourg, and compared them to 2,345 contemporary European genomes. The patterns of SNPs—single base variations between the genomes—were used to trace back the ancestry of modern-day Europeans, and propose a new model of prehistoric European population dynamics.

The results indicate that, contrary to previous thought, farming was not introduced into Europe by immigrants from the Near East who replaced native Europeans, but rather that native Europeans had already intermixed with the Eurasian immigrants before their arrival in central Europe.

This provides new insight into the origin of farming in Europe, and shows that present-day Europeans originate from an ancestral mix of three distinct populations; west European hunter-gatherer, early European farmer (a mix of indigenous Europeans and near Eastern immigrants) and ancient north Eurasian – an older Eurasian population that split before the emergence of the early European farmer.

-
Geographical locations of analysed samples, with colour coding matching the PCA
© Nature

Interesting findings that show the genetic diversity of Europeans. Of course the authors of these findings don't in any way seek to split or divide modern Europeans as 'true whites' vs. fake whites(?). Yet I would think that a certain ultimate nutcase would say so if he was focused on the unity of Europeans as he is Africans. LOL [Big Grin]
Posts: 26241 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
^Do you think Greeks are the "fake" whites since they show more genetic distance towards NE Africans compared to other Europeans?
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha! Ha! HA!

So, which came first the starch or the gne!

---------------

We caution, however, that copy count in Loschbour is at the high end of present-day humans, showing that high copy counts of AMY1 cannot be accounted for entirely by selection since the switch to agriculture. Both Loschbour

Read more: http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/thread/1767/lazaridis-latest-update-sept-2014#ixzz3F67tcMCQ

---
agriculture. We compared the ancient genomes to 2,345 present-day humans from 203 populations genotyped at 594,924 autosomal single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs)with the Human Origins array8 (Supplementary Information section 9) (Extended Data Table 1). We used ADMIXTURE13 to identify

Read more: http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/thread/1767/lazaridis-latest-update-sept-2014#ixzz3F67ZHGcR

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I said – I don’t have time to argue K2= Cluster, Oh!=Kluster=German. Lol!

Here is what I spend my time on. From your study…

---
We carried out large-scale sequencing of libraries prepared with uracil DNAglycosylase (UDG),which removes deaminated cytosines, thus reducing errors arising from ancient DNA damage (Supplementary Information section 3). The ancient individuals had indistinguishable levels of Neanderthal ancestry when compared to each other (,2%) and to present-day Eurasians (Supplementary Information section6).The heterozygosity of Stuttgart (0.00074) is at the high end of present-day Europeans, whereas that of Loschbour (0.00048) is lower than in any present human populations (Supplementary Information section 2); this must

----

Significance – and more importantly, why is that so important to be looked at and discussed?

Anyone!!!!????

. Tic! Toc!

--------------------

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

^Do you think Greeks are the "fake" whites since they show more genetic distance towards NE Africans compared to other Europeans?

Of course not! That's because I don't subscribe to such ridiculous notions of 'race' to begin with. Greeks by physical appearance are obviously 'white' despite whatever recent African ancestry they have. My entire post by the way was in reference to AmunRa (AmaNut) the Ultimate who falsely accuses me and others of trying to 'divide' Africans and perpetuating 'Hamitic race' fallacies just because we acknowledge the FACT that African populations show genetic diversity via different clades and lineages as well.

The very science of genetics has thoroughly disproved the very existence of racial groups yet this hasn't stopped folks (mostly Eurocentrics but even some Afrocentrics as well) from corrupting or distorting the science to perpetuate their racial agendas.

Posts: 26241 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
quote:

Of course not! That's because I don't subscribe to such ridiculous notions of 'race' to begin with. Greeks by physical appearance are obviously 'white' despite whatever recent African ancestry they have. My entire post by the way was in reference to AmunRa (AmaNut) the Ultimate who falsely accuses me and others of trying to 'divide' Africans and perpetuating 'Hamitic race' fallacies just because we acknowledge the FACT that African populations show genetic diversity via different clades and lineages as well.

The very science of genetics has thoroughly disproved the very existence of racial groups yet this hasn't stopped folks (mostly Eurocentrics but even some Afrocentrics as well) from corrupting or distorting the science to perpetuate their racial agendas.

Indeed. I know race does not exist biologically. Notice I emphasized "race". What I meant was that Eurocentrics like to say East Africans are not "true Africans" due to showing the most genetic closeness to Eurasians in terms if genetic distances. Meanwhile Greeks show more genetic distance to Africans compared to other Europeans. I wasn't saying Greeks were actually "fake whites", I know they are European. I was just using Eurocentric tactic's against them. I was agreeing with you.

Anyways Greeks showing more genetic closeness to Africans via genetic distance I got from this study by Arnaiz-Villena, which is quite old.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ The whole Villena study on Greek HLA has been beaten to death multiple times in this forum..

..that and

Y chromosome E1b1b
 -

and

Benin HBS (sickle cell)
 -

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ The whole Villena study on Greek HLA has been beaten to death multiple times in this forum..

And I'll tell you what pisses me off
about that to no end. The admins cut
the threads where I went into it with
Supercar/the Explorer and later with
Zarahan over the validity of A-V's
reports re Greek:some Africans on
one HLA locus.

Unless somebody else can find them.

This was done recently as I saved
those threads just two years ago.

Admin's got me seriously miffed. I
mean here we at E & AE kept this
place alive. Then when we spike
usage what do they do? They reopen
the defunct fora and skim data from
us to make room for them.

I'm not going to work hard at modding
when the admin/owner gets the financial
advantage, and won't even give me the
courtesy of correspondance less lone
input.

I surmise their plan is to screw us
royally once the other fora pick up
some users. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Do the delete things randomly because of limited storage space?
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Deleted due to bigotted prejudicial stereotyping of Africans.

[ 07. October 2014, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Ardo ]

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Don't hold your breath.....or blow a blood vessel

--------------------

Tukuler
Member # 19944

quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
Don't blow a blood vessel

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad] Too late! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

A lot of work and research went into
those threads as well as the one
Clyde talked about where we into
the Fulani Zebu.

Of course now I save the good pages
of good threads and back up the back
up too (lost mucho lotto stuff when
my former backup broke). But still
why dust us for inactive fora? Just
don't make no sense just like your
prejudice is senseless.

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member

[ 07. October 2014, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Ardo ]

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Lotta wind.

I have TNV

Whata u got

neither a pot nor a window

go on

es'll b right here waitin' 4 u

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member

[ 07. October 2014, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Ardo ]

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

Maybe you guys could start a Berbersearch forum

[ 07. October 2014, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Ardo ]

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Har! Har!

--------------------

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@ Xyyman

I will not tolerate prejudice
bigotry and stereotyping in
this the Egyptology forum
and since you want to try
me notice your posts are
outtasight -- they gone!

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an old post copy below. If I remember it was rightly
said that HLA is NOT definitive on the subject, and using
it to claim Greeks as "black" or African is shaky ground.
If I remember someone said back (you?) then that HLA had
its limits as far as population affinity studies.
This is no doubt true. SO HLA is not an infallible
last word on the subject, but part of a package, another
confirming line of evidence as to Greek-African links,
not a sweeping claim of Greek-African identity. And
if Africans are labeled as "mixed" likewise Greeks
too are "mixed" at some level. Even, steven..

--------------------------------------------------------

RECAP OF OLD POST

NOTE- The Greek example above must be qualified. Bear in mind, no one is
claiming ALL Greeks are African or came from Africa. More modern Greeks
would not have the identical mix as ancient Greeks. Other studies do
not show identical results to HLA gene data. There are differences, but
the main idea is to show that there is some relatedness between Greeks
and Africans. WHy then aren't many running around talking about Greeks being "mixed"?
This double standard is the central point. Here is a roundup
from an old ES Post: (keep the double standard in mind).
-------------------------------------------------

-

1-- Certain Greek samples using HLA gene data cluster with Africans.
This pattern does not mean all Greeks are identical to Africans or "come from Africa."
The data is in:
HLA genes in Macedonians and the sub-Saharan origin of the Greeks
Tissue Antigens 2001: 57: 118–127

Villena has attracted controversy because various data on Greeks-Macedonians-
Africans it seemed to genetically link Jews and Palestinians more closely than seemed
politic. This info was withdrawn for political reasons, and
offended sensibilities of various Jewish and other groups.
Some use this to claim that the Greek data above was
"withdrawn." False. It is alive and well and
appears specifically in Vilenna's Greek study:
HLA genes in Macedonians and the sub-Saharan origin of the Greeks
Tissue Antigens 2001: 57: 118–127

Jewish - Palestinian controversies have nothing
to do with it, and are a separate dispute.

Bear in mind that while HLA has its limitations it is used by other
scholars in DNA affinity studies. Johansson et 2008 (Genetic origin of the
Swedish Sami inferred from HLA class I and class II allele frequencies)
for example use HLA to determine the origin of some Scandanavian ethnic
groups. HLA is a valid study approach. Can contrary DNA approaches be cited?
Sure. But using AN HLA APPROACH, the data is what it is. Also HLA is not the only line of
evidence linking the peoples.

2-- The Palestinian study also notes that Greeks are
related to Africans via cystic fibrosis mutations. Note we
are talking Greeks and Africans.

-

3-- It is true that the data being used is highly
variable HLA genes. However the presence of Japanese
clustering with south Africans is not as far fetched
as it seems. HLA genes are useful in analyzing certain
arthritis conditions.
There is hard medical data
in various HLA studies that indeed show Japanese
and south African blacks grouping together in
relation to arthritis conditions. See the data below.

-

4-- Anthro/Archaeo data show the presence of African
traits (and remember Africans have a wide variety of traits)
in the Neolithic data. The full info has already been posted
but here is some anthro/archaeo data affirming the presence
of "negroid" traits from early times:

quote: "The female of forty-plus years of age from Grave 2
was examined by J. L. Angel who noted what he interpreted as
a number of 'negroid' .. traits in the face." The skull is fairly
complete, but not enough so for discriminant function analysis."
There is marked maxillary prognathism and the orbits may be
described as rectangular, traits frequently used in forensic
diagnosis of Negro crania... "

-- Skeletons of Lerna Hollow. Al B. Wesolowsky. Hesperia, Vol. 42, No. 3. (Jul. - Sep., 1973), pp. 340-351.

"Early Neolithic Macedonia centered on a Dinaric-Mediterranean (type F)
average but with an extremely broad nose, more prognathism, and a
little more mouth tilt than expected (all, perhaps from negroid
development of the incisor region.."

-- The people of Lerna: analysis of a prehistoric Aegean population. J.L Angel 1971

"The portrayal on the 'minature fresco' from Thera, and on the other,
very fragmentary Aegean frescoes, of diverse stylistic elements- flora a
nd fauna, 'negroid' human representations, the riverine setting, of the
'minature fresco,' etc- that seem to be north African, 'Libyan' or Egyptian in origin."

--The Aegean and the Orient in the second millennium:
proceedings of the 50th anniversary symposium, Cincinnati, 18-20 April 1997

"The inhabitants of the Aegean area in the Bronze Age may have
been much like many people in the Mediterranean basin today,
short and slight of build with dark hair and eyes and sallow
complexions. Skeletons show that the population of the Aegean
was already mixed by Neolithic times, and various facial types,
some with delicate features and pointed noses, others pug-nosed,
almost negroid, are depicted in wall paintings from the 16th century BC..."

-- The Home of the Heroes: The Aegean Before the Greeks (1967)

------------------ Scholars also link the Negroid elements to sickle-cell anemia-------
QUOTE:
"The female from Grave 2 is among those with thickened parietals.
It should be pointed out that maxillary prognathsm, one of the skeleton's
"Negroid" features, is characteristic both of thalassemia and sickle-cell anemia."

-- Skeletons of Lerna Hollow. Al B. Wesolowsky. Hesperia, Vol. 42, No. 3. (Jul. - Sep., 1973), pp. 340-351.

-

5-- Other elements like Benin Sickle Cell traits
are also found among the Greeks and various Africans
and some skeletal/cranial studies find African
elements in Greece (Angel 1972 for example)

QUOTE:

"A late Pleistocene-early Holocene northward migration (from Africa to the Levant and to Anatolia) of these populations has been hypothesized from skeletal data (Angel 1972, 1973; Brace 2005) and from archaeological data, as indicated by the probable Nile Valley origin of the "Mesolithic" (epi-Paleolithic) Mushabi culture found in the Levant (Bar Yosef 1987). This migration finds some support in the presence in Mediterranean populations (Sicily, Greece, southern Turkey, etc.; Patrinos et al.; Schiliro et al. 1990) of the Benin sickle cell haplotype. This haplotype originated in West Africa and is probably associated with the spread of malaria to southern Europe through an eastern Mediterranean route (Salares et al. 2004) following the expansion of both human and mosquito populations brought about by the advent of the Neolithic transition (Hume et al 2003; Joy et al. 2003; Rich et al 1998). This northward migration of northeastern African populations carrying sub-Saharan biological elements is concordant with the morphological homogeneity of the Natufian populations (Bocquentin 2003), which present morphological affinity with sub-Saharan populations (Angel 1972; Brace et al. 2005). In addition, the Neolithic revolution was assumed to arise in the late Pleistocene Natufians and subsequently spread into Anatolia and Europe (Bar-Yosef 2002), and the first Anatolian farmers, Neolithic to Bronze Age Mediterraneans and to some degree other Neolithic-Bronze Age Europeans, show morphological affinities with the Natufians (and indirectly with sub-Saharan populations; Angel 1972; Brace et al 2005), in concordance with a process of demic diffusion accompanying the extension of the Neolithic revolution (Cavalli-Sforza et al. 1994)."

-- F. X. Ricaut, M. Waelkens. (2008). Cranial Discrete Traits in a Byzantine Population and Eastern Mediterranean Population Movements Human Biology - Volume 80, Number 5, October 2008, pp. 535-564

6-- Other cultural/archaeo data testify to the African presence, africans again having a wde range of features

QUOTES
"THE FORERUNNERS During the Early Minoan period the population of southern Crete may have included a Negroid element. The presence of such an element from Libya in the Cretan population has been argued on the basis of an inlay of shell now in the Ashmolean Museum. This inlay may have come from an early circular tomb at Ayios Onouphrios. It depects a bearded face, with thick lips and snub nose. Other objects might lead to the same observaton for later periods. Among the faiences showing house fronts (Middle Minoan II)15 there is one in which are seen the prow of a ship and swarthy, prognathous, clearly Negroid people, some steatopygic...
It is uncertain, however, what role to assign to the non-Minoan figures in this scene, which it has been suggested, may represent the represent the siege of a seacoast town. Scholars are in greater agreement with respect to their interpretations of the coal black spearmen who appear in a fragment of a fresco, which Evans called The Captain of the Blacks, belonging to Late Minoan 145 II.18 The fresco depicts a Minoan captain, wearing a yellow kilt and a horned cap of skin, who leads, at the double, a file of black men similarly dressed."

-- The image of the Black in Western art: Volume 4, Part 1 Jean Vercoutter, Ladislas Bugner, Jean Devisse. 1976

"The Theran is a young man whose black wavy hairm rather thick lips, and nose with reduced platyrrniny are clearly shown. Although he acknowledges that these traits suggest a NEgrito or Nubian, Marinatos avoids precise anthropological definition and concludes that the characteristics seem to indicate an "African".

"An intrepretation of NEgroes in Crete and Pylos as soldiers would have some support in the example of Egypt, with its long tradition of Nubian mercenaries. A striking example, belonging somewhat earlier period that that of the Minoan Captain of the Blacks fresco, is provided by the wooden models of forthy black archers in Cairo, found in a tomb of a prince of Assiut." pg 138

L. Bertholon and E. Chantre have analyzed results of black-white crossings in their detailed anthropoligical study of ancient and modern Tripolitiana, Tunisia, and Algeria. They call attention to the degrees of Negro admixture as evidenced by the extent to which Negroid features appear in mixed North African peoples. R. Bartoccini in his study of the somatic characteristics of anciet Libyans, illustrates his observations on racial crossings between Libyans and Negroes from the interior by pointing to the Negroid nose (broad) and hair (curly or wooly) .."

"Some of the physical features of this type are: dark or black color expressed in a variety of ways, tightly curled platyrrhine nose, and thick, often everted lips. '

"In a scene on a red-figured calyx-krater of the peropd from Canicattoni, now in Syracuse, a female dancer, fully draped, stands on tiptoe. The treatment of the nose, the lips and the tightly curled hair indicates that Negroid features were intended.. the realism and anthropological fidelity of those cited above leave no doubt as to the artists' intent.." pg 171
-- The image of the Black in Western art: Volume 4, Part 1 Jean Vercoutter, Ladislas Bugner, Jean Devisse. 1976

-------------------------------

7.. ADDITIONAL DATA: AFRICAN HAPLOGROUP E FOUND IN GREEKS

QUOTE:
"Underhill et al. (2001) showed that the frequency of the
YAP+ Y haplogroup commonly referred to as haplogroup E or
(III) is relatively high (about 25%) in the Middle East
and Mediterranean. This haplogroup E is the major haplogroup
found in sub-Saharan Africa (over 75% of all Y chromosomes).
SPecifically, Europeans contain the E3b subhaplogroup, which
was derived from haplogroup E in sub-Saharan Africa and
currently is distributed along the North and East of Africa..
It appears that the 171 AIM test subject of this chapter may
recognize the haplogroup E character as West African."

--T. Frudakis. 2006. Molecular photofitting: predicting ancestry and phenotype using DNA
Well according to genetic analyses the Greeks are close to 1/4th black carrying 23% African paternal lineages.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Critique of critique of HLA studies. The "critique" made by some is
to proffer shaky strawmen made by alleged "Afrocentrists" that can then be
"refuted." BUt no credible observer claims that all Greeks are Africans.
We all know that Greeks are primarily European, just as Ethiopians are primarily African.
The only point at issue is that there is clearly documented gene mix and cultural flow
between Greece and Africa from ancient times. HLA studies are ONE link in
that documented chain of evidence. And if "mixed race" models are to be deployed
to describe African diversity, then their use is likewise justified in
describing EUropean diversity as "mixed race." Eurocentrics no longer get'
to play the standard hypocritical one-way labeling game.

VARIOUS OBJECTIONS

The minimization ploy- Cystic fibrosis
The cystic fibrosis finding is admitted but minimized with dubious
sleight of hand. Objectors and their supporters hold that Dörk et al. did find an
African-type of cystic fibrosis mutation in Greeks, however this
mutation was extremely rare; it was detected only in three Greek families.
WHat they conveniently leave out is that the Greek families were part of a
batch of 17 samples under detailed analysis. 3 out of 17 is approx 18%,
but they attempt to make it appear as if it is only 3 families out of all
of Greece where the cystic fibrosis mutation occurs. See Dork ref.
Dörk T, El-Harith EH, Stuhrmann M, et al. (August 1998).
"Evidence for a common ethnic origin of cystic fibrosis mutation 3120+1G-->A
in diverse populations". Am. J. Hum. Genet. 63

The mysteriously missing African samples to "refute"
Objectors and their servitors then tout a 2000 study by Richards that
found "very little" African gene flow in Greece, but in
fact, Richards's study specifically EXCLUDED African samples.
Objectors and their supporters further proffer Maaspina 2000 as another
example, saying that the "only African" DNA trace in a Greek
sample was hg "A" at less than 1%. The only thing that they
conveniently forget to tell the reader is that the African
samples were mostly Arabized types from Egypt, not sub-Saharan
Africa, crucially East Africa/Ethiopia where an apples to apples
comparison could be done.

The non-sequitir "comparison"
The Objectors also cite a study by A. Petlichkovski on Macedonians
showing where "sub-Saharans" groups away from
the Macedonians thus allegedly "contradicting" Vilenna.
Again they conveniently leave out that the samples
of Petlichkovski were NOT from the same area of
Africa as Vilenna's Ethiopians, his main group
that clustered with Greeks. The sampling was not
an apples to apples comparison. INterestingly enough,
Petlichkovski's study groups Egyptians with other
African populations.

-

More "missing" Africans to "refute"
The Objectors continue their sleight of hand by proferring
another study by Weale 2001, but this study concerned Armenians
and had NO African samples. Other claims by the Objectors attempt
to use an obscure Siberian haplotype as some sort of "stand in" for
Africans but indeed the studies proffered for Greek-African comparisons
are notable for the ABSENCE or minor use of African samples.

The nugatory "North African" markers
Semino 2004 is used by assorted objectors to argue a Medit Supreme line,
alleging that the Greeks show little of the "North African marker" J-M267,
essentially setting up a strawman true type to "refute." But in fact Semino's
Greek samples showed significant amounts of E-M78, a haplotype itself originating
in East Africa per Semino. Objectors usually fail to mention this.
J-M267 is important to them however, because the Dork cystic fibrosis
study found a link with Saudi populations which have much J-M267. But what
Objectors and their supporters conveniently leave out is that other studies
of Saudis such as Amero 2008, found almost 14% of the Saudi samples
to have sub-Saharan DNA markers, confirming Dork's view of long-standing
Africa-Arabia gene flow. Hence it is not merely "North African" J-M267
that could cause a link with the Greek and Africans, but long-standing African
markers. The link shows up in people who are African or African influenced
like Saudis or African-Americans.

Curious charts
The Objectors also proffer a critique by JObling of Vilenna's sub-Saharan tracers,
but Jobling did not dispute the presence of such African alleles only
how they were used in creating a chart, since their origin was known
before the study. But such is standard procedure in other DNA studies
run by European race category proponents. Only this time, it showed
the Greek- African links rather than the usual "true type" segregation format.

The "three wise men" critique- claim a part is the whole to "refute"
Objectors also refer to criticism of Vilenna by "three respected geneticists"
Luca Cavalli-Sforza, Alberto Piazza and Neil Risch. But the three men
over no detailed rebuttal of Vilenna's results, only "puzzlement" over
how Greeks link with Africans and how Japanese could be in the mix.
They express puzzlement on how: "Greeks are very similar to Ethiopians
and east Africans but very distant from other south Europeans; and that the
Japanese are nearly identical to west and south Africans."

But the "three sages" misrepresent Vilenna with false strawmen. Vilenna
is not referring to ALL greeks but part of them, as seen in samples from
the Aegean and near Athens. The "all Greeks" charge is bogus, just as
the "identical Japanese" is similarly bogus. The three sages conveniently
fail to mention that HLA genes, in association with certain rheumatoid arthritis
MEDICAL conditions, can show similarity across several distant populations,
and thus accounting for why Japanese would share certain arthritis
conditions with South African San. Doesn't mean there was historic gene flow between
them- this would require some archaeological evidence as well- which Greeks
and Africans do have present. The similarity only shows that the gene mutations
involved in the particular rheumatoid arthritis conditions may hit both peoples
in a similar way.
( Rimoin and Emery 2006 Principles and practice of medical genetics).

HLA limitations

While HLA has its limitations it is used by other scholars in DNA
affinity studies. Johansson et 2008 (Genetic origin of the
Swedish Sami inferred from HLA class I and class II allele frequencies)
for example use HLA to determine the origin of some Scandanavian ethnic
groups. HLA is a valid study approach. Can contrary DNA approaches be cited?
Sure. But using AN HLA APPROACH, the data is what it is. Also HLA is not the
only line of evidence linking the peoples. Also it is not the only line of
evidence linking the peoples.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The above does not mean that there are no weaknesses in using HLA to
study populations, but neither does it mean that HLA cannot be used
as one of SEVERAL lines of confirmatory cross evidence on the issue
of links between Africa and Greece.

Gene frequencies are sometimes touted as "racial" markers-
i.e. high frequencies of certain genes in "Eurasian" areas
enables the population to be labeled as "Eurasian."
But the same method is, curiously, too often, suddenly not applied when
African gene data is involved. Hence high frequencies
of certain genes in Africa do not earn them the "African"
label when there are overlaps into Europe and the
so-called "Middle East". Many who speak expansively
of "mixed races" in Africa suddenly maintain a mysterious
silence when the concept is extended into Europe.
Suddenly numerous sub-divisions, obfuscations and
"qualifications" enter the labeling picture - the
standard modus operandi of Euro-centric hypocrisy
and double standards.

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Niiiicee!! It works.
quote:
Originally posted by Ardo:
@ Xyyman

I will not tolerate prejudice
bigotry and stereotyping in
this the Egyptology forum
and since you want to try
me notice your posts are
outtasight -- they gone!

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Thanks for that Zar but I miss the
actual threads with all the
individual back and forth by
each poster representing their
points and counterpoints for
themselves and especially the
HLA figures I posted from other
geneticists than A-V and Hajjej
who did nothing but restate A-V.
Also the list of things I posted
that strongly show Greek connections
to some Africans. I succinctly showed
A-V weakens the case and is unneeded
and if included in the last will be
latched on to pooh pooh the strong points.

When you got iron rods
you don't bunch
asparagus canes
along with them.

I could kill Sammi! Grrrrrrr. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, if I remember you noted HLA limitations and also
showed it is not necessary to rely on HLA to demonstrate
Greek-African cultural and genetic links.

--------------------
Note: I am not an "Egyptologist" as claimed by some still bitter, defeated, trolls creating fake profiles and posts elsewhere. Hapless losers, you still fail. My output of hard data debunking racist nonsense has actually INCREASED since you began..

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to rely on one HLA locus.
In the original I did show
valid relations using iirc
three loci at least.

I lost my homemade charts
along with the threads on
either a now broke PC or
a portable drive.

I think the Spanish who
support the Macedonians
paid Sammi to axe it and
GOOGLE/YAHOO/etc to not
cache it (psyche!) [Smile]

Maybe Arnie's got a copy. [Big Grin]

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Blame Obama?

We also have to consider that there may be other reasons, beyond your control or influence, why the forum is dead ie lack of posters. Look at ESR They are so many more lurkers than posters.

Race is becoming less of an issue. Only the die hard fanatics still hold on to those archaic beliefs. Fanatics on BOTH sides. Black racist and white racist. Those who were sincerely interested are no longer interested.

It is a fact now AEians were an indigenous black African civilizations and modern Europeans had absolutely nothing to contribute or any connection to that civilization. The only connection, modern Europeans (Basal Eurasian) left Africa about 8-10k before the inception of AE. Albeit, modern Europeans are more African than we thought 10years ago. The Rosenberger paper made that very clear a decade ago. Lazaridis was the landmark paper that made it widely known.

You have to come up with a plan to revitalize the Forum. The current debate is in genetics but most people are clueless. Posting pictures and commenting is much easy and require less brain cells. The game has changed.

ES is not the only one.

Mathilda is dead, Many other foras like that is dead. Those that are alive are the ones with post of “superficial’ la la land stuff.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member

quote:

modern Europeans (Basal Eurasian) left Africa about 8-10k

what migration route did they take to get from Africa to Europe?

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Read more on ESR---

Come on Lioness. This is exactly what I am talking about above. We have gone past the stage of posting pictures to support our point of view. Here is what Lazaridis Sept 2014 says

Quote: -----……

advent of agriculture. We compared the ancient genomes to 2,345 present-day humans from 203 populations genotyped at 594,924 autosomal single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs)with the Human Origins array8 (Supplementary Information section 9) (Extended Data Table 1). We used ADMIXTURE13 to identify 59 ‘west Eurasian’ populations that cluster with Europe and the Near East (Supplementary Information section 9 and Extended Data Fig. 3). Principal component analysis (PCA)14 (Supplementary Information section 10) (Fig. 2) indicates a DISCONTINUITY BETWEEN THE NEAR EAST AND EUROPE, with each showing north–south clines ****bridged**** only by a few populations of mainly Mediterranean origin.Weprojected15

Read more: http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/thread/1767/screw-lazaridis-latest-update-sept#ixzz3FYsOsZxl

-----

This is exact what DNATribes observed. I posted on this already. DNATribes speculated it was either Through North Africa OR the Levant and NOT both. They were not sure.

That is my point. Many are up to discussing this stuff …but this is where we are at.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
xyyman, read

quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:

[*]Iosif Lazaridis et al
Nature 513, 409–413 (18 September 2014)

We sequenced the genomes of a ~7,000-year-old farmer from Germany and eight ~8,000-year-old hunter-gatherers from Luxembourg and Sweden. We analysed these and other ancient genomes1, 2, 3, 4 with 2,345 contemporary humans to show that most present-day Europeans derive from at least three highly differentiated populations....

you seem to always arrive at conclusions opposite of those drawn by the article. Is it possible your monitor is upside down?
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
I made it clear over year ago that Otzi Alps Iceman and the Mbuti shared a recent and unique genetic link. No one understood what I was talking about. Many TreeMix studies show a close link between Iberians and Mbuti. About 2 years ago Dienekess chalked that up to an anomaly. But guess what, Lazaridis et al Sept2014 CONFIRMS that connection between Otzi and Mbuti. Keep in mind Mbuti was the baseline African population chosen and may not be the source population.

Also as I recently found out, my bad for not paying closer attention WITHIN Africa, but MButi are Nilo-Saharan speaking a click language unlike Biaka. Nilo-Saharan???? Basal Eurasian=EEF=Otzi. Take it from there. Get it! got it!

This is not rocket science.

--------------------

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
That is the problem. Many don’t grasp it what they are reading..

I asked DJ about a month ago in that Lactase thread…….which came first the camel or the gene? He rightly answered the gene.

Now, I asked earlier in this thread ..which came first the starch or the gene? As Lazaridis pointed out AMY exited long before the advent of agriculture.

My point? Tic! Toc!

This is not roacket science

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
I made it clear over year ago that Otzi Alps Iceman and the Mbuti shared a recent and unique genetic link. No one understood what I was talking about.

So you rae saying
that the Otzi iceman is more related to African pygmies than Sardinians.
alert the media

question so who are the ancestors of modern Sardinians

tic toc

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
To those fcking idiots are pretend to understand this stuff. “Basal Eurasian” is the genetic material observed by DNATribes in “their” study, yes, I said “study” because it was. They used their own dataset, independent of Lazaridis to confirm “Basque” genetic material…….found throughout Africa…even in South Saharans Africans…..Basque? LOL! The nerve!

That’s right! …chirp! chirp!

I own this!

--------------------

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Har! HAar! Funny about the montitor.

But to the lurkers to be clear. Three popualtions YES!, but look at the percentages in the table. Southern Europeans are at least 80% Basal ie EEF. The remainer percentage is WHG and ANE. Northern Europeans have more WHG and ANE but are still at least 50% EEF. Thus, I understand the use of the term "Basal European"

Tic! Toc!

--------------------

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
As usual reading and comprehending?.....

Quoteabove :

But guess what, Lazaridis et al Sept2014 CONFIRMS that connection between Otzi and Mbuti. Keep in mind Mbuti was the baseline African population chosen and may not be the source population.

:

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:

So you rae saying
that the Otzi iceman is more related to African pygmies than Sardinians.
alert the media

tic toc

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

Here is what Lazaridis Sept 2014 says

Quote:

advent of agriculture.]We compared the ancient genomes to 2,345 present-day humans from 203 populations genotyped at 594,924 autosomal single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs)with the Human Origins array8 (Supplementary Information section 9) (Extended Data Table 1). We used ADMIXTURE13 to identify 59 ‘west Eurasian’ populations that cluster with Europe and the Near East (Supplementary Information section 9 and Extended Data Fig. 3). Principal component analysis (PCA)14 (Supplementary Information section 10) (Fig. 2) indicates a discontinuity between the Near East, with each showing north–south clines bridged only by a few populations of mainly Mediterranean origin.

-----

This is exact what DNATribes observed. I posted on this already. DNATribes speculated it was either Through North Africa OR the Levant and NOT both. They were not sure.

That is my point. Many are up to discussing this stuff …but this is where we are at. [/QB]

"each showing north–south clines bridged only by a few populations of mainly Mediterranean origin"

xyyman tell us more about this bridge

BTW folks, here's the PDF

http://genetics.med.harvard.edu/reich/Reich_Lab/Welcome_files/2014_Nature_Lazaridis_EuropeThreeAncestries.pdf

and 155 page supp

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v513/n7518/extref/nature13673-s1.pdf

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Remember that stupid argument in that other thread about clusters vs population for K value.

I was kind of slow on that one……the fcking idiots do not know that K=Kluster in German. I lost sight of that and could have killed that discussion from the git go.

---

why waste my time?

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
xyyman would it be correct to say genetically there is nothing that distinguishes a modern European from an African?
Tukuler
Member # 19944

quote:
Originally posted by zarahan- aka Enrique Cardova:

HLA is not an infallible
last word on the subject, but part of a package, another
confirming line of evidence as to Greek-African links,
not a sweeping claim of Greek-African identity. And
if Africans are labeled as "mixed" likewise Greeks
too are "mixed" at some level. Even, steven..

Agreed! And I'd like you to break
this down into palatable chunks
(one post for each numeral bullet
for instance) and cross post to
the A-V PC thread. Thanks!

Tukuler
Member # 19944

I don't have to do nothing but moderate posts.
I don't own a thing here except my posts.
Like I said I have TNV
and
time is on my side.

And BTW ES is much more than just genetics.

quote:

You have to come up with a plan to revitalize the Forum. The current debate is in genetics but most people are clueless. Posting pictures and commenting is much easy and require less brain cells. The game has changed.

ES is not the only one.

]

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Let's get back on topic.

If not just let the thread die.

There are stickies to discuss
the state of the forum and mod.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
What is this? A trick question? Nice try bro. SMH. It depends, there is no yes or no answer. For instance the two phenotype that is used to distinguish Europeans from Africans, skin shade and high nose originated IN Africa Shriver et al.(for skin color). . 35ky old Kenyan man for high nose. Europeans have a consistent and higher frequency of SPECIFIC genes and thus phenotype. Africans other hand has a much greater range of variability. Both in genotype and thus phenotype.

Eg LCT genes . ALL are found in Africa because all originated in Africa even the Asians and Native Americans that do NOT carry any of these phenotype. This is not rocket science.

Oh! Am I casting Africans in a bad light(sic)? Being prejudicial to Africans or Europaens?

quote:
xyyman would it be correct to say genetically there is nothing that distinguishes a modern European from an African?

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
To the lurkers and those who may not get it the picture. The picture emerging is that many genes originated not only in Africa but surprisingly NOT as a result of external stimulus. Eg Africans carry ALL variations of lactose tolerance 13910, 19315, and many others found ONLY IN Africa. This includes Africans that are also NOT lactose tolerance just as Asians and Native Americans. As Lazaridis just pointed out, Loshbour and many pre-agriculture humans carried high copies of the AMY genes which they thought was a result due to the switch to a high starch diet. In fact these ancient humans carried higher copies than many modern Europeans. Asians and modern Native Americans carry the highest frequency. See table in the Lazaridis study.

What does that tell us? Europeans BS a lot and they don’t know what they are talking about. They should refrain from interpreting the data.

Another example is skin shade. Shriver concluded that AMH left Africa with the ability to develop light skin. And he came to that conclusion when studying SSA. Yes SSA. That is high tropical /UV belt Africans. Rees/Mekova speculated over a decade ago that the ability to develop light skin ALWAYS existed in Africans. She speculated “remove the constraint” and light skin will develop. I posted on this about 5 years ago. Light skin development has nothing to do with Vit D deficiency or diet! Jablonski was BSing. Full analysis is posted on ESR.

Europeans, Asians and Native Americans are a sub-set of Africans.

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

quote:

Eg LCT genes . ALL are found in Africa because all originated in Africa even the Asians and Native Americans that do NOT carry any of these phenotype. This is not rocket science.

Oh! Am I casting Africans in a bad light(sic)? Being prejudicial to Africans or Europaens?

Why would all mutations originate in Africa if humans have been outside Africa 60-70 K or longer why couldn't unique mutations develop outside Africa?
If there is gentic variation inside Africa why can't there be genetic variation that occured and originated outside Africa??
What, all mutation stopped after people left Africa?

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Indeed, just as there are Euronuts who downplay African genetic diversity by attributing it to 'back-migrations', you have Afronuts on the other side denying any back-migrations at all. But to deny that non-Africans have even developed any alleles of their own is just down right idiotic.

And you wonder why nobody takes xyzmouse seriously except YOU. [Embarrassed]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com