EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Beginner's books to learn Mdu Ntr[Hieroglyphics]

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Beginner's books to learn Mdu Ntr[Hieroglyphics]
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some books that might help you begin to learn Mdu Ntr.

Egyptian Grammar: Being an Introduction to the Study of Hieroglyphs
by Alan Gardiner

* ISBN: 0900416351

Middle Egyptian : An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs
by James P. Allen

* ISBN: 0521774837

Concise Dictionary of Middle Egyptian
by Raymond Faulkner

* ISBN: 0900416327

English-Egyptian Index of Faulkner's Concise Dictionary of Middle Egyptian (Aids and Research Tools in Ancient Near Eastern Studies : Vol 1)
by David Shennum

* ISBN: 0890030545

Egyptian Readingbook: Exercises and Middle Egyptian Texts
by A De Buck

* ISBN: 0890052131

An Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary : With an Index of English Words, King List, and Geographical List with Indexes, List of Hieroglyphic Characters, Coptic and Semitic Alphabets (Vol 1)
by Ernest Alfred Thompson Wallis Budge

* ISBN: 0486236153

An Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary : With an Index of English Words, King List, and Geographical List with Indexes, List of Hieroglyphic Characters, Coptic and Semitic Alphabets (Vol 2)
by Sir Ernest Alfred Thompson Wallis Budge

* ISBN: 0486236161

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kovert, the one and only
Member # 5017

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kovert, the one and only     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you read Ankh Mi Ra's "Let the ancestors speak: removing the veil of mysticism from Medu Netcher". If so what's your opinion of it.

quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

Here are some books that might help you begin to learn Mdu Ntr.

Egyptian Grammar: Being an Introduction to the Study of Hieroglyphs
by Alan Gardiner

* ISBN: 0900416351

Middle Egyptian : An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs
by James P. Allen

* ISBN: 0521774837

Concise Dictionary of Middle Egyptian
by Raymond Faulkner

* ISBN: 0900416327

English-Egyptian Index of Faulkner's Concise Dictionary of Middle Egyptian (Aids and Research Tools in Ancient Near Eastern Studies : Vol 1)
by David Shennum

* ISBN: 0890030545

Egyptian Readingbook: Exercises and Middle Egyptian Texts
by A De Buck

* ISBN: 0890052131

An Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary : With an Index of English Words, King List, and Geographical List with Indexes, List of Hieroglyphic Characters, Coptic and Semitic Alphabets (Vol 1)
by Ernest Alfred Thompson Wallis Budge

* ISBN: 0486236153

An Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary : With an Index of English Words, King List, and Geographical List with Indexes, List of Hieroglyphic Characters, Coptic and Semitic Alphabets (Vol 2)
by Sir Ernest Alfred Thompson Wallis Budge

* ISBN: 0486236161

Posts: 253 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never read this book. If you have read it then you must tell us if it assist a person to fully understand Mdu Ntr. Isn't the editor of the book Theophile Obenga? I hope that it's not another attempt to fuse Eastern mysticism with Kemetian spirtuality like the Mdu Ntr volumes I and II are by Ra Un Nefer Amen.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kovert, the one and only
Member # 5017

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kovert, the one and only     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not found the time to really get into the book. Now I can understand how difficult it is to learn a new language for an older person. Things like determinatives, transitive verbs and what not. In his bibliography he list many of the same books you posted. He does stresses that the reader must spend a lot of time studying because learning the md ntr is not an easy task.

quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
I have never read this book. If you have read it then you must tell us if it assist a person to fully understand Mdu Ntr. Isn't the editor of the book Theophile Obenga? I hope that it's not another attempt to fuse Eastern mysticism with Kemetian spirtuality like the Mdu Ntr volumes I and II are by Ra Un Nefer Amen.

Posts: 253 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs: A Step-by-Step Guide to Teach Yourself by Mark Collier
Posts: 42935 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Just ordered it. Hope I can learn the language

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com