EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » HBCUs and Egypt/Nubia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HBCUs and Egypt/Nubia
Punos_Rey
Administrator
Member # 21929

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Punos_Rey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just something that crossed my mind as a topic of discussion, but is there a reason that HBCUs(historically black colleges and universities) don't have Egyptology or Nubiology departments proper? While I'm sure Egypt/Nubia are brought up in African studies classes, why not have departments specifically dedicated to those two regions ala Western classical departments with their numerous classes on aspects of Greece and Rome? While understanding the historical domination(and racism) of these disciplines by Europeans, just seems odd that I can't find an Egyptology or Nubiology program at a single HBCU [Confused]
Posts: 574 | From: Guinee | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DD'eDeN
Member # 21966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DD'eDeN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Off topic, but this might be of some slight interest: Nubian - Vasco linguistic *cognates and possible cultural ties:

http://forwhattheywereweare.blogspot.com/2015/09/vasco-nubian.html

Strongest Basque-Nubian apparent simple cognates

•Basque - Nubian languages (English)

•azal - àzì, àzzì-di (bark)
•haragi - árízh (meat)
•odol - ógór, èggér (blood)
•buru - úr (head)
•oin - ó:y (foot)
•esku - ish-i, ès-sì (hand)
•hil* - di-ìl (to die)
•euri - are, ara, áwwí, áré, árí, áró (rain)
•harri - kugor, kakar (stone) [notice also the pre-IE root *kharr- speculated to be at the origin of Karst, etc.]
•lur - gùr (soil, ground)
•haize - irsh-i, éss-í (wind)

--------------------
xyambuatlaya

Posts: 2021 | From: Miami | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Punos_Rey:
J
ust something that crossed my mind as a topic of discussion, but is there a reason that HBCUs(historically black colleges and universities) don't have Egyptology or Nubiology departments proper? While I'm sure Egypt/Nubia are brought up in African studies classes, why not have departments specifically dedicated to those two regions ala Western classical departments with their numerous classes on aspects of Greece and Rome? While understanding the historical domination(and racism) of these disciplines by Europeans, just seems odd that I can't find an Egyptology or Nubiology program at a single HBCU [Confused]

It's not a bad idea for black academia to try to reclaim what is rightfully their heritage the same way white academia steadfastly holds on to Greece and Rome; however, we all know that once HBCUs start doing this there will be a backlash from the mainstream (white) academia that all these are nothing more than "Afrocentric" black studies yada, yada. But as Truthcentric put it, who cares?! F*rget them! If you know what I mean. As long as you have truth and facts on your side, that is all that matters.
Posts: 26295 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just something that crossed my mind as a topic of discussion, but is there a reason that HBCUs(historically black colleges and universities) don't have Egyptology or Nubiology departments proper? While I'm sure Egypt/Nubia are brought up in African studies classes, why not have departments specifically dedicated to those two regions ala Western classical departments with their numerous classes on aspects of Greece and Rome? While understanding the historical domination(and racism) of these disciplines by Europeans, just seems odd that I can't find an Egyptology or Nubiology program at a single HBCU [Confused]

Its not odd at all. The glaringly obvious answer is money and competing priorities.
Many HBCUs don't have a lot of cash. If they had, say 10 million to spend
they would be foolish to put it into such very narrow,
specialized things like Egyptology or Nubiology versus things in demand
like engineering or health, which will attract more students.
Egyptology or Nubiology can always be covered in various elective
courses, or by allocating space for study groups or centers on campus.
This is nothing unusual. Small white colleges aren't big
on Egyptology or Nubiology either. Study centers, institutes
and specialized libraries can handle the info effectively without
diverting scarce dollars or expensive spending on completely separate
departments. curricula and professional staff in those narrow fields.
Matter of fact most big white universities do NOT offer any
degrees in Egyptology either. If they shy away, why should tiny
HBCUs with a fraction of the resources available plunge in?

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Punos_Rey
Administrator
Member # 21929

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Punos_Rey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^fair enough Zarahan thats a very thorough answer I just approached it from the point of view of treating those two fields like western universities treat greece/Rome with their classics departments but you made it pretty clear why thats unfeasible :/

--------------------
 -

Meet on the Level, act upon the Plumb, part on the Square.

Posts: 574 | From: Guinee | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I believe that they don't have African studies departments either.

Money should not matter. It shows that HBCUs really don't care about the history of Black people.The sad thing about the whole matter is that they have not even hired one professor competent enough to even teach a course in this area or lead a study group and seminar.

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Punos_Rey
Administrator
Member # 21929

Member Rated:
^several do Dr. Winters but such programs are always subject to the chopping block when hbcus are forced to cut programs.

But yeah I got Zarahans post too but the comment about the lack of egyptology programs at most big white universities is a non-starter anyway as the point here was for egyptology/nubiology to be looked at by HBCUs as classics programs (Greece/Rome) are by big white universities. Many big white universities DO still have classics programs entirely devoted to greece and rome and indeed so do several small white colleges and even preparatory schools (theres several schools at several levels of education in the area I went to college at that have classics departments). With all the continuing evidence mounting for African Egypt I wouldn't be surprised to see those pwis that still have egyptology programs lose interest.

Hopefully my intent with this query is a little more clear now

zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clyde says:
Money should not matter. It shows that HBCUs really don't care about the history of Black people.The sad thing about the whole matter is that they have not even hired one professor competent enough to even teach a course in this area or lead a study group and seminar.

Unfortunately in the REAL world, money DOES matter.
Egyptology is a very specialized, narrow field of study.
Why should a HBCU already short on cash blow precious resources
on a field that most WHITE universities don't do anything with
either? That's just plain illogical. And in fact, at many HBCUs
students have African studies departments, classes on Egypt,
and study centers where they can research Egypt and Nubia to their
hearts content. As for hiring professors on Egyptology, good
professors in that narrow field are not only scarce, but they also
have to be PAID big enough for them to leave big institutions that
can support these narrow specialties, to move to small, no-name HBCUs.
That takes, guess what? M-o-n-e-y..

Punos says:
egyptology/nubiology to be looked at by HBCUs as classics programs (Greece/Rome) are by big white universities. Many big white universities DO still have classics programs entirely devoted to greece and rome and indeed so do several small white colleges and even preparatory schools (theres several schools at several levels of education

Sure, and one of the reasons they can do so is that teaching about
Greco/Roman classics is a lot cheaper, because of widely available materials,
and there are a ton of people who can do that competently, compared to
the people available who can do the same with Nubiology or Egyptology.
How many people are out there who can read hieroglyphics,
compared to people who can read Greek for example? And study
of Greece/Rome classics is a very old discipline, much older than
Egyptology which only substantially assumed status of a formal academic
discipline within institutions in the late 1800s. It thus has
a lot more older, institutional support along with
money, which in the real world, does matter.

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com