EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Amen & Christianity !

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Amen & Christianity !
Nebsen
Member # 13728

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nebsen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been very curious as to how the great god of the Nile valley Amen(Amun), ended up in Christianity services; such as a minister at the end of a sermon the congregation says Amen,or something is said by someone & it is affirmed by a Amen!

Can someone give me the historical explanation of the god Amen showing up in Christianty & still being used today by millions of Christians ? [Confused]

Posts: 135 | From: Bay Area | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tom jones
Member # 15768

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tom jones   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first use of the word is in Numbers 5:22 where it is used as an affirmation of a curse. God spoke through Moses to tell the people about a test for adultery. As part of this process, a priest would tell a woman the curse that would befall her if she lied. The woman was to respond by saying “Amen. Amen.” This response displayed agreement that the curse was a fair punishment for anyone who would lie before God. In Deuteronomy 27 we see many similar instances where the people were to agree to the curses God decreed for breaking His law by saying “Amen.” Once again, their “amen’s” showed submission to God’s laws and affirmed that the consequences of sin were fair and just.

In this sense, then, the word was one of submission before God, acknowledging that His law was just.

--------------------
"Most men are accredited fools shortly after they leave the womb.”

Posts: 1116 | From: WARNING All stressed out & no one to choke | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I posted long ago and lost to search engines,
the Hebrew word 'amen is related to the two Hebrew
words 'emunah (faith) and 'emeth (truth).

The Egyptian Ntjr Amun/Ammon/Amen/etc.,
his name bears the meaning of hidden.

Apparently the Hebrew is not derived from the
Egyptic in this case, though there are plenty
of Egyptic loanwords in Hebrew (most outstanding
is 'anokhiy, shortened to ani and meaning "I").

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol @ Sharona going off on tangents. Stick to the script. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tom jones
Member # 15768

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tom jones   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HORUS of EDFU:
lol @ Sharona going off on tangents. Stick to the script. [Big Grin]

HAHAHAHA at least you got my name this time and not DUDE
AMEN [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1116 | From: WARNING All stressed out & no one to choke | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
all over but the cryin
Member # 16012

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for all over but the cryin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nebsen:
I've been very curious as to how the great god of the Nile valley Amen(Amun), ended up in Christianity services; such as a minister at the end of a sermon the congregation says Amen,or something is said by someone & it is affirmed by a Amen!

Can someone give me the historical explanation of the god Amen showing up in Christianty & still being used today by millions of Christians ? [Confused]

Muslims say it also.
Posts: 39 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JujuMan
Member # 6729

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JujuMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ McCain lost. [Big Grin]

--------------------
state of mind

Posts: 1819 | From: odesco baba | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^member: McCains chubby cheeks From: “Cheeks filled with rage!” lol [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
all over but the cryin
Member # 16012

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for all over but the cryin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Sauron:

PLEASE GOD let it be true.
Posts: 39 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sauron is a con man. Can see his ploy. He doesn't mean it.

quote:
Originally posted by McCains chubby cheeks:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Sauron:

PLEASE GOD let it be true.

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Red, White, and Blue + Christian
Member # 10893

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red, White, and Blue + Christian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Temples of Amen were made in 3 parts. The most inner one was the holy of holies. Amen/Amani was depicted as a Ram (male lamb). Yeshu'a Ha Mashiach (Jesus the Christ) is the Lamb of God.

http://www.maat.sofiatopia.org/amun.htm

Posts: 1115 | From: GOD Bless the USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, this topic was discussed several times before and Takruri is correct.
quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:

As I posted long ago and lost to search engines,
the Hebrew word 'amen is related to the two Hebrew
words 'emunah (faith) and 'emeth (truth).

The Egyptian Ntjr Amun/Ammon/Amen/etc.,
his name bears the meaning of hidden.

Apparently the Hebrew is not derived from the
Egyptic in this case, though there are plenty
of Egyptic loanwords in Hebrew (most outstanding
is 'anokhiy, shortened to ani and meaning "I").

^ The etymology of Egyptian 'Amen/Amun' is different from that of the Hebrew prayer phrase.
Posts: 26267 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com