EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Harkhuf the Explorer from the Old Kingdom

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Harkhuf the Explorer from the Old Kingdom
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harkhuf the Explorer from the Old Kingdom

-

The life of Harkhuf is known entirely from the inscriptions in his tomb at Aswan, near the First Cataract of the Nile. Harkhuf ended his days as an honoured courtier, and his importance lies in his early adventures, and the way that he attracted the attention of the royal court.

Old Kingdom Egypt took a keen interest in the affairs of its southern neighbour, Nubia. The region was rich in gold, controlled trade with Africa, and was vast and unexplored. The task of Harkhuf's family was to explore it.

Harkhuf records how, as a youth, he accompanied his father into the upper country, at the request of King Merenre, third king of the 6th Dynasty (c.2287-2278 BC), . He travelled a considerable distance to a land called Iyam, which probably corresponds to the fertile plain that opens out south of the area of modern Khartoum, where the Blue Nile joins the White.

On his second expedition Harkhuf travelled alone, bringing back with him exotic gifts, which must have enhanced his status at court. On his third journey, Harkhuf was entrusted to track down the ruler of Iyam, who had gone on a campaign against the southern Libyans, and persuade him to abandon his ambitions. The pharaohs were reluctant to see the expansion of Iyam, which could threaten Egyptian control over the north of Nubia.

This may have been the high point of Harkhuf's career, but pride of place in his tomb is given to a letter he received from the new king, a boy known to history as Pepi II. Among the treasures brought back from Africa was a pygmy who could do exotic dances. Harkhuf knew this would delight the young ruler.

The little king's letter about this gift would have been written on papyrus, and perished millennia ago. But the text was transcribed and carved on the wall of the tomb, and is there to this day. It is a combination of official jargon, shot through with schoolboy enthusiasm, and it is clear why Harkhuf chose to take it with him into eternity. It is one of the most vivid letters to survive from the ancient world.

Inscriptions from the Tomb of Harkhuf

I came today from my city, I descended from my nome, I built a house, I set up the doors. I dug a lake , and I planted trees. The king praised me. My father made a will for me, (for) I was excellent ......... [one beloved] of his father, praised of his mother, whom all his brothers loved. I gave bread to the hungry, clothing to the naked, I ferried him who had no boat.

O ye living, who are upon earth, [who shall pass by this tomb whether] going down-stream or going up-stream, who shall say: "A thousand loaves, a thousand jars of beer for the owner of this tomb." I will [...] for their sakes in the nether world. I am an excellent, equipped spirit, a ritual priest, whose mouth knows.

As for any man who shall enter into [this] tomb [as his mortuary possession, I will seize] him like a wild fowl; he shall be judged for it by the great god.

I was one saying good things and repeating what was loved. Never did I say aught evil, to a powerful one against any people, (for) I desired that it might be well with me in the great god's presence. Never did I judge [two brothers] in such a way that a son was deprived of his parental possession.

Count, sole companion, ritual priest, chamber-attendant, judge attached to Nekhen, wearer of the royal seal, caravan conductor. privy councilor of all affairs of the South, favorite of his lord, Harkhuf, ......... who brings the products of all the countries to his lord, who brings the tribute of the royal ornaments, governor of all countries of the South, who sets the terror of Horus among the countries, who does that which his lord praises, .......... the revered by Ptah-Sokar. Harkhuf.

He says:

The majesty of Mernere my lord, sent me, together with my father, the sole companion, and ritual priest Iry, to Yam, in order to explore a road to this country. I did it in only seven months, and I brought all (kinds of) gifts from it [..........] I was very greatly praised for it.

His majesty sent me a second time alone; I went forth upon the Elephantine road, and I descended from Irthet, Mekher, Tereres, Irtheth, being an affair of eight months. When I descended I brought gifts from this country in very great quantity. Never before was the like brought to this land. I descended from the dwelling of the chief of Sethu and Irthet after I had explored these countries. Never had any companion or caravan-conductor who went forth to Yam before this, done (it).

His majesty now sent me a third time to Yam; I went forth from [...] upon the Uhet road and I found the chief of Yam going to the land of Temeh to smite Temeh as far as the western corner of heaven. I went forth after him to the land of Temeh and I pacified him, until he praised all the gods for the king's sake.

People of Yam
 -

.............t, Yam who followed ..... ..... in order to inform the majesty of Mernere, my lord, ............ after the chief of Yam. Now when I had pacified that chief of Yam ........... below Irthet and above Sethu, I found the chief of Irthet, Sethu, and Wawat ..... ..... ..... ..... .....

I descended with three hundred asses laden with incense, ebony, heknu, grain, panthers, .... ..... , ivory, [throw-sticks], and every good product. Now when the chief of Irthet, Sethu, and Wawat saw how strong and numerous was the troop of Yam, which descended with me to the court, and the soldiers who had been with me, (then) this [chief] brought and gave me bulls and small cattle, and conducted me to the roads of the highlands of Irthet, because I was more excellent, vigilant, and ....... than any count, companion, or caravan-conductor, who had been sent to Yam before. Now, when the servant there was descending to the court, one sent the ..... , sole companion, the master of the bath, Khuni, up-stream with a vessel laden with date-wine, [cakes], bread and beer. The count, wearer of the royal seal, sole companion, ritual priest, treasurer of the god, privy councilor of decrees, the revered, Harkhuf.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sources: James Henry Breasted Ancient Records of Egypt Part I §§ 328ff

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hotep2u
Member # 9820

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hotep2u     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings:

Myra are the people of Yam potrayed in that picture correct?
That picture seems to show up everywhere that needs a image of people who have a obvious Afrikan "features", I have seen it described as Nubian slaves, Egyptian slaves, you name it, just attach slave to the end of what ever group you want to attach this picture to.

This picture gets around more than many other pictures that can be found in those temples.

Hotep

--------------------
TruthSeeker

Posts: 477 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The picture is neither that of people of Yam nor any type of slaves but actually of a tribute scene from the Viceroy of Kush named Huy. The people shown in the photo are actul Kushite royalty that are pay tribute to Tut'ankh-amun.

By the time of the New Kingdom there was no more Yam but Kush. Some believe the Kerma site in Sudan is the region of Yam.

http://www.osirisnet.net/tombes/nobles/houy/e_houy.htm

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were various kingdoms and peoples in the region called 'Nubia' but unfortunately we don't know much about them as we would like.
Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No need for idle speculation or rebuffing over
the nationality of the Nhhsw depicted in that
painting from Huy's tomb. One need simply go
to a detailed repro of that artwork, such as
plate 117 in Lepsius' Denkmaeler, and read the
mdw ntjr inscription accompanying the art.

The first register:
  • the ruler of My3am
  • the rulers of W3yt
  • children of rulers of various countries

The second register:
  • rulers of Kesh

osiris.net can't tell any of them from Nubians,
a people who didn't exist in New Kingdom times,
but at least does mention Miam and Wawat.

The men behind the ox drawn chariot in the first
register are yoked and cuffed suggesting they have
the status as captives of some sort.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^A perfect example of how 'Nubians' is an inaccurate labe placed on practically a non-existent group. 'Nubians' consisted of various groups whom the Egyptians apparently went out of their way to identify specifically. Constrast this to Eurocentrics and Egyptologists who don't bother to make any distinctions and just put all these groups under the collective 'Nubian'.
Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horus_Den_1
Member # 12222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horus_Den_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 107 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Full gigargantornormous img @
https://images.metmuseum.org/CRDImages/eg/original/LC-30.4.21%E2%80%93Clean_EGDP024932-1.jpg

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Full tomb on Osiris net:

https://www.osirisnet.net/tombes/nobles/houy40/e_houy40_01.htm

Posts: 8895 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thx 4 t/link 2 actual tomb wall photos like this

-

compare and contrast to restoration posted above

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The funny part is that although Egyptologists like to show off these images, they have yet to point out where in these images are the "Eurasian" Egyptians, because I sure cant find any, even with some of the damage and restoration work.....

https://www.osirisnet.net/tombes/nobles/houy40/photo/houy40_cd_fusion_P1210851-52.jpg

Posts: 8895 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

What would you expect a Eurasian descended Egyptian national to look like?

Why would you expect them in art devoted to tribute from Kush?

None appear in the scene focusing on the Retenu of Kharu's supposed tribute either.

-

--------------------

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
What would you expect a Eurasian descended Egyptian national to look like?

Why would you expect them in art devoted to tribute from Kush?

None appear in the scene focusing on the Retenu of Kharu's supposed tribute either.

-

I would expect the people from KMT to look closer to the "pale" Asiatics if they truly were "Eurasian" in the sense modern Egyptology and their recent DNA papers suggest. But honestly, if you look at the tomb of Huy very closely there are various shades of Egpytians much more shades than seen in some other AE tomb art, specifically for the males. And even with that, all of them look black African, no different than one would see in other parts of Africa.

Examples below:
https://www.osirisnet.net/tombes/nobles/houy40/photo/houy40_bs_37366.jpg

https://www.osirisnet.net/tombes/nobles/houy40/photo/houy40_bs_37367.jpg

If we are to believe the current "scholarship" on the Nile Valley, these people would be expected to look different from black Africans.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com