EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Do Nubians ever call themselves Nuba?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do Nubians ever call themselves Nuba?
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firewall:

BIack Egyptian TikToker Reveals The Hate She Receives From Egyptians Over Her Skin Color

-

Wongel Zelalem reports on a black Egyptian TikToker getting rejected for the color of her skin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi3kne7_vDU [/QB]

Her name is Raneem. Her jewelry brand is Kiro
(kiro.uk)

She says in a Tik Tok video
"originally I'm Nubian Egyptian"
Nuba is this region in Southern Egypt and Northern Sudan and it consists of several villages and tribes...
My dad was born and raised in Nuba
My mom was born and raised in Cairo
and then my dad moved to Cairo and the both of them move here (UK)...
I was born and raised in the UK

https://www.tiktok.com/@kiro.uk

-

She is using this word "Nuba" which is a mountain region much further south than Nubia which is mainly in Egypt and only a little of it extending to North Sudan.

wikipedia says this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuba_peoples

Nuba Peoples

The term should not be confused with the Nubians, an unrelated ethnic group speaking the Nubian languages living in Northern Sudan and Southern Egypt,[2] although the Hill Nubians, who live in the Nuba Mountains, are also considered part of the Nuba peoples.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_Nubians

Hill Nubians

Hill Nubians are a group of Nubian peoples who inhabit the northern Nuba Mountains in South Kordofan state, Sudan. They speak the Hill Nubian languages. Despite their scattered presence and linguistic diversity, they all refer to themselves as Ajang and call their language Ajangwe, "the Ajang language".[1]

Origin
Canadian linguist Robin Thelwall believes that the Hill Nubians probably didn't migrate to the Nuba Mountains from Nubia, considering their linguistic divergence, and instead probably reached the Nuba Mountains from central Kordofan during the earliest Nubian migrations.[2] Joseph Greenberg believes that any split between Hill and Nile Nubian must have occurred at least 2,500 years before present.

Either she is mistaken, her dad is Nuba not Nubian

Or some Nubians call Nubia "Nuba"
and there is a 2nd place further down south also called Nuba

However here is black brit website called

https://www.blackhistorymonth.org.uk

They have a long article called Nubia and the Noba people and they say:

https://www.blackhistorymonth.org.uk/article/section/pre-colonial-history/nubia-and-the-noba-people/

Nubia and the Noba people
The name Nubia is derived from that of the Noba people, nomads who settled the area in the 4th century, with the collapse of the kingdom of Meroë. The Noba spoke a Nilo-Saharan language, ancestral to Old Nubian....

Historically, the people of Nubia spoke at least two varieties of the Nubian language group, a subfamily which includes Nobiin (the descendant of Old Nubian), Kenuzi-Dongola, Midob and several related varieties in the northern part of the Nuba Mountains in South Kordofan. Until at least 1970, the Birgid language was spoken north of Nyala in Darfur but is now extinct....

Comments:

09/10/2019
by Peter Korkeley Lalouwa
I’m from the Nuba Mountains Region of Sudan, We hope we can work hand in hand to bring back the stolen history to the Nubian.
It has been quite long without any update on the real history, simply because the Nubian were indeed marginalized by many domination groups into Sudan so that they won’t realize their existence. We believe God has different plan for them since they are still scattered in different part of world.

09/02/2020
by Peter Saied Sharif Dengir
I’m from the Nuba mts ,we had an argument over this case of Nuba and Nubia . Depending on the historical evidence, there is no difference between Nuba and Nubia , those divisions came when the black kingdom was destroyed. And these divisions are meant to weaken the blacks so that they continue to be marginalized. If the Nuba and Nubia become united,they will be the strongest people once again.

Whatever the case may be she says her mother is Egyptian so it's unfortunate that people question her Egyptianess

Posts: 42922 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She probably is refering to the Nubian Egyptians not the Nuba, she mentions Aswan and the South of Egypt in her video...

This is why I do what I do here, no one is talking about her people the actual "black" Egyptians who existed from the Predynastic to this very day, that A. Egyptian culture was pioneered, expanded, maintained, revitalized by her people. Even an actual Egyptian is being told she's not Egyptian because of her skin color..smh

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:
Even an actual Egyptian is being told she's not Egyptian because of her skin color..smh [/QB]

she's not that dark though

-

If you go to her jewelry website:
https://kiro.uk/collections/the-egyptian-collection

One of the tabs is "Egyptian Collection"

You will see images of the jewelry and when you get to the second row , right after the Crystal essential oil if you put your cursor over an item you see one of the models above wearing the item.
Raneem , the owner looks like a model when she's made up. The upper left photo above is her not made up but if you put your cursor over the Nefertiti earrings you will see her looking good.
However she is only in that that one photo.
The woman to her right above is in nine items, most next to each other but also the last two
the man is in one, the Egyptian map Necklace, bottom row and the woman on the lower left above
is in three

-
Raneem

She says in one Tik Tok video, that her father is a Nubian and mother form Cairo

-

but in this video she does not say she is part Nubian

This is not to saying people telling her she is not Egyptian might not also be racist

She grew up in the UK and does not have the slightest trace of an Arabic accent although she can speak Arabic

I think the models she chose to market her Egyptian Collection jewelry do not reflect advocacy for darker skinned Egyptians that much

-

current president of Egypt Abdul Fattah al-Sisi, since 2014

Posts: 42922 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly, it does'nt matter, as long as she has a minute look of "African" to her, its all that is needed...

which is why this whole white knighting for Modern Egyptian's by Eurocentrists has always been nothing but an act to me, because the people of Ta Seti have always been a part of Egypt, and she even mentions in her video that the ironic part is that her critics KNOW ABOUT the so called "Black" Egyptians...yet her Egyptianess is still denied..

Her ancestors literally pioneered the Iconography of the Royal Sutens, as well as various gods, one of which was Set(as Doug M proved), as well as introducing and pioneering various architecture styles...including the Speo architecture...

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:
Even an actual Egyptian is being told she's not Egyptian because of her skin color..smh

she's not that dark though [/QB]

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Funny enough her heritage and her features...is very similar to Late President Anwar Sedat....(who was of Upper Egyptian and partial Sudanese Heritage)

Id Say she's even lighter than Sedat...Yet no one questions Anwar's Egyptianess(His murderers yelled "Death to Pharaoh as they assasinated him) and there were even protests when an African American played him in a movie...

-

One wonders if Anwar was alive today, would his Egyptianess be questioned..?

quote:
quote:
Even an actual Egyptian is being told she's not Egyptian because of her skin color..smh

she's not that dark though [/QB]

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Here is another "Nubian" called the "Kandaka Protester" or Nubian Queen Protester..

https://cloudfront-eu-central-1.images.arcpublishing.com/thenational/IZMV3TSQJXQWROANQDAHCJOV5U.jpg

-

-  -

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5jVVCyEGiuA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSuhcLNUwkA

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
post updated
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
^^^I know I saw, I wonder if the female model friend is Egyptian, she said she does'nt experience racism from Diaspora Egyptians only those on the continent...
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Strangely, I've heard the same thing as well-- that dark-skinned (black) Egyptians face more discrimination in Egypt than outside of Egypt! I remember one Egyptian collegemate tell me he thinks it's a socio-psychological problem for the Egyptians because they are aware that they are African and outside of Africa be considered 'black', while in Egypt the word 'black' or 'aswad' is a slur typically reserved for Sub-Saharans while the Arabs and other Afrangi ironically call them the same slur! It's a type of inferiority complex visa the Afrangi but a superiority complex with other Africans. Even the division between Baladi and Nubians is miniscule compared to other Africans but it still exists.

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26246 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Yes Nubians did call themselves Nuba.

This artifact was discovered at Meroe in 1911. On the chest of the figure are the following inscriptions: Qo-ne Qore nob o lo. This reads: " The honorable Nubian King arrive(d) as a captive". Another small bronze Noba figure was inscribed with the words : E de qe Nob. This inscription reads: "Act indeed to register the Noba (prisoner)".

Meroitic Writing and Literature

-

Meroitic Writing and Literature is divided into three parts. The first part of the book explains how I used the Kushana hypothesis to decipher the Meroitic script. It will outline the Classical literature that informed my decipherment of Meroitic and how Buddhists early settled in Upper Egypt and the Meroitic Empire and spread their religion and writing system: Tocharian.

In Part two we outline the grammar of Meroitic. It will provide readers with a detailed overview of the Meroitic language and its grammar.

Part Three provides translations of key Meroitic text. These texts provide knowledge of the lifeway’s of the Meroites especially their religion and some historical data.

The Meroitic literature discussed in this book include : The Inscriptions of Tanyidamani; The Meroitic Chamber Inscription of Philae; and Meroitic Evidence for a Blemmy Empire in the Dodekaschoinas. These text were chosen because they include text written in archaic Meroitic (Tanyidemani), and other text written in late Meroitic.

Meroitic Writing and Literature, is the first account of the Meroitic language and literature. It will allow readers the opportunity to learn how to read/decipher Meroitic text, while acquiring an intimate knowledge of the Meroites.

Order book at : https://www.amazon.com/Meroitic-Writing-Literature-Clyde-Winters/dp/0615801501

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:

that is not the issue why they did call themselves

The question do modern day Nubians says, do they ever refer to Nuba

Nuba is this region in Southern Egypt and Northern Sudan and it consists of several villages and tribes...
My dad was born and raised in Nuba"

I would like to know if modern day people in Egypt today who describe themselves as Nubian would say they are from Nuba. Some might, I'm not sure about it

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

I would like to know if modern day people in Egypt today who describe themselves as Nubian would say they are from Nuba. Some might, I'm not sure about it

This girl says she is egyptian, why are you trying to claim she is Nuba. This makes your question racist, since it implies that any dark skinned Egyptian must be Nubian.

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

This girl says she is egyptian, why are you trying to claim she is Nuba. This makes your question racist, since it implies that any dark skinned Egyptian must be Nubian.

Don't be silly. The above is a quote from her video

from the OP >>>

quote:
Her name is Raneem. Her jewelry brand is Kiro
(kiro.uk)

She says in a Tik Tok video
My dad was born and raised in Nuba
My mom was born and raised in Cairo
and then my dad moved to Cairo and the both of them move here (UK)...
I was born and raised in the UK

https://www.tiktok.com/@kiro.uk

She says her mother is from Egypt

She says he father is a Nubian from Nuba

I would like to know if Nubians today in Aswan and other places ever call it "Nuba"
They might. I don't know and you don't know

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ I think 'Nuba' is the actual name they use for Nubia. Here in the West most people familiar with Nubia tend to associate the name 'Nuba' with the Nuba Hills region of the Kordofan in southern North Sudan, but 'Nuba' was the traditional name used for the entire region of Nubia.

Another well known person of Nubian ancestry here in America is poet and writer Kola Boof, whose father was Egyptian and mother Nubian.

-

As a teenager she was kidnapped and made a concubine of Osama Bin Laden, and she eventually made her way to America writing for Hollywood and controversial exposés of black stars.

Posts: 26246 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is an earlier thread with an interview with a Nubian woman today living in USA

quote:
Mona Sherif Nelson is from Egypt - now living in California - and of Nubian origin. The Nubians are an ethno-linguistic group of people indigenous to the region which is today southern Egypt and norhern Sudan. They originate from the early inhabitants of the central Nile valley. They trace their roots back to the ancient Nubian Kingdom (also called the Kingdom of Kush) one of the earliest and most important of civilizations.
Mona has started "The Nubian Foundation – for Preserving a Cultural Heritage"

Mona Sherif Nelson on Nubians and the Nubian kingdom

Interesting intervju with a Nubian woman

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2685 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com