EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Practicing Primary Research vs Secondary Research techniques

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Practicing Primary Research vs Secondary Research techniques
Before Chrisna
Cool
Member # 22932

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Before Chrisna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check this out my brothers ad sisters in research.

A person may read over a 100 books on "Karate", but that will not replace the act of "practicing" Karate. The practitioner must put in strenuous work before actually understanding and mastering the subject matter.

The same goes to most academic disciplines, including Egyptology, Genetics, Geology, Horticulture, Linguistics and such. Eventually,the student must do primary research by strenuously working and practicing within the field of study.
In terms of Egyptology one can read over a hundred books, (which is a good thing), but it will not replace a practicing knowledge of hieroglyphics and field studies.
When I was taking classes in Mineralogy back in the 80s, I learned that the only way to master mineral identification was to go to the open lab nights and spend hours strenuously examining hundreds of mineral samples; scratching, touching, scraping, smelling,weighing, testing, magnifying and more.

While working for the US Geological Survey I was able to apply those skill sets in the field as well as the lab. Furthermore, I learned how to practice science.
Observation was first! Then speculations, Collect specimens, artifacts or data. Create hypothesis. Then create models and experiments to test your hypothesis. Then cross reference with primary and secondary sources.

In the end you may have enough to raise your hypothesis to "working theory" level. Sometime your ideal does not work out and is tossed in the science trash bin.

But look at what fun you had! And look at what all you learned on the journey. Your note book holds the treasures of scientific primary investigation.

In the same manner, I believe new age Egyptologist should approach the discipline. Learn to read hieroglyphs so that you can read the histories, doctrines, love stories, fables and cosmologies of the
ancient African people. Then go see the artifacts, in Africa, in museums, or wherever they have placed them.

Then observe.

The model ships in Kin Tut's tomb.
The great pyramid ships that were built with no nails.
Compare the court of Osiris with today's modern courts.
Compare the hieroglyphic letters with modern letters. Phoenician letters, modern Hebrew letters.
Compare and contrast Ancient Egyptian glossaries to ancient Mayan glossaries.
And so on...

By practicing Primary Research we can also divorce ourselves from the dogmatic racism that plagues the mainstream discipline of Egyptology.

Hotep!

Posts: 46 | From: Berkeley Ca | Registered: Aug 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Before Chrisna
Cool
Member # 22932

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Before Chrisna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more note. We, people of African descent cannot just sit around and let other cultures define reality to us.

We need to divorce ourselves from doctor Phil and all other symbols of Eurocentric academic superiority and authority.

Posts: 46 | From: Berkeley Ca | Registered: Aug 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Before Chrisna
Cool
Member # 22932

Rate Member
One more note. We, people of African descent cannot just sit around and let other cultures define reality to us.

We need to divorce ourselves from doctor Phil and all other symbols of Eurocentric academic superiority and authority.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com