EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Discovery of the New Year (2024) in Saqqara

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Discovery of the New Year (2024) in Saqqara
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Archaeologists unearth 4500-year-old Ancient Egyptian tomb with astonishing treasures

Remarkable treasures have been discovered in the tomb, including a Second Dynasty child burial, a well-preserved alabaster vessel from the 18th Dynasty, and terracotta statues depicting Isis and Harpocrates.

Posts: 26236 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Euronews

-

-

-

More pictures in archaeology-wiki

Posts: 26236 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be cool if they could get aDNA from the Second Dynasty child burial.

It is interesting to me that they found artifacts from multiple eras in one tomb. I wonder if people were reusing it over the centuries, or using it as a cache for assorted stuff?

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ I wouldn't hold my breath on the DNA if I were you. As I've pointed out many times before they've tested samples from pyramid age Giza back in the 90s but for some reason Hawass was not pleased with the results.

As far as tombs it is not unusual for a family to reuse the same area, but it does increase the risk of tomb robbery. Most tombs in dynastic times were guarded except in times of turmoil or calamity like during Intermediate Periods which is when most of the tomb robberies occur. For a tomb or cache to have much of its stuff intact, it had to have been carefully hidden like in the case of Tutankhamun.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com