EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Did Ramesse III Unwittingly Undermine Egypt??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did Ramesse III Unwittingly Undermine Egypt??
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New poster Khaemwaset created a website on the tomb of his namesake Prince Khaemwaset here, and it reminds me of that prince's father Ramesse III and an issue very few schoars discuss.

Ramesse III was known as a great warrior who defended his nation from multiple threats including that of the Sea Peoples...

Ramess III repels Sea People
 -

Yet he also allowed some Sea People to settle Egypt and serve him as royal guards while allowing others to populate the Levant, especially the Peleset (Philistines). Did this cause the eventual demise of Egypt? For one, once the Philistines took over southern Canaan and the Gaza region in particular they took over the Asiatic trading center that originally belonged to Egypt weakening the latter's economic power. Another thing that I've noticed is how Ramesse III fell victim to a harem conspiracy with his throat being slashed despite aid from his Sea People guards.

-

The records say these guards were deceived by black magic, but I find it a little more than convenient that after the fall of the 20th dynasty the 21st dynasty to take their place would be non other than the main ally of the Sea Peoples who led them to Egypt-- the Libyans.

some sources:

https://www.ancient.eu/Sea_Peoples/

http://www.ancient-egypt.co.uk/people/the-sea-people.htm

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/301894299_The_'Sea_Peoples'_in_Primary_Sources

https://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/seapeoples.htm

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2017/03/21/little-known-but-greatly-feared-the-sea-people-raided-ancient-egypt-and-the-mediterranean-at-the-end-of-the-bronze-age/

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The records say these guards were deceived by black magic, but I find it a little more than convenient that after the fall of the 20th dynasty the 21st dynasty to take their place would be non other than the main ally of the Sea Peoples who led them to Egypt-- the Libyans.

Wasn't the harem conspiracy motivated by one woman wanting her son to take the throne instead of the Pharaoh's preferred heir? Unless the woman behind the scheme had Libyan or Sea People ancestry, I'm not sure what those peoples would stand to gain from Ramses III's assassination.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viceroy
Banned asshole
Member # 20417

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for viceroy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DeadHead,
You’re trying to project your own guilt and self doubt while reflecting on historical events, where people had no known obsession with skin color or so called human racism!

Learn to leave your inherent biased views in the closest!

Peace!

Posts: 1061 | From: Laos | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by viceroy:
DeadHead,
You’re trying to project your own guilt and self doubt while reflecting on historical events, where people had no known obsession with skin color or so called human racism!

Peace!

I see you also suffer from schizophrenic duality, not just abhorred behavior.
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thot t/Harem Conspiracy was a Kush related thing, no?

What got R III into more trouble
* his love affair w/all things Nehesi ala KV11 (link)
* or managing demographics of the defeated?

And now DJ's hypothesis suggests a co-joint effort possibility,
each partner with their own ethnic designs on royal power.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After how many days of creating this thread on an actual Egyptology topic people finally reply...

And I get this?!..

quote:
Originally posted by viceroy:

DeadHead,

Peace!

Where in my topic did I mention color or race you self-projecting racist, afrangi, Circassian, muktaba moron?!

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by One Third African:

Wasn't the harem conspiracy motivated by one woman wanting her son to take the throne instead of the Pharaoh's preferred heir? Unless the woman behind the scheme had Libyan or Sea People ancestry, I'm not sure what those peoples would stand to gain from Ramses III's assassination.

My own belief, which is pure speculation, is that the reason why Ramose III hired Sea Peoples as his personal guard was because he didn't trust the soldiers of his own people. He probably suspected someone in his court or his own harem wanted him dead which is why he felt more comfortable with foreign guards. It makes me think for example the Israelite king David whose personal guard consisted entirely of foreigners due to enmity from some of the chiefs and tribes of his own nation. That said, it was a balancing act of capitulating to foreigners without selling out his own nation.

Suffice to say that after the fall of the Ramessides, the Libyans took over at least the Delta who were close allies of the Sea People.

quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:

I thot t/Harem Conspiracy was a Kush related thing, no?

What got R III into more trouble
* his love affair w/all things Nehesi ala KV11 (link)
* or managing demographics of the defeated?

And now DJ's hypothesis suggests a co-joint effort possibility,
each partner with their own ethnic designs on royal power.

What did the Harem Conspiracy have to do with Kush?? Though I don't rule out the possibility.

The Ramessides did have Medjay in important administrative roles as Rune Olsen shows in his paper here, and of course the Egyptians were administrators in Kush as well as Julia Budka shows here.

Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still not ready to get down to non-politics/current events,
monumental in that historical firsts have been occurring
that could bode a major shift in American democracy as
known to date. Diop was by no means limited to Egyptology
and Africana. Diop was politically active.

=-=

Two hundred years separate Ramses III from Usahen I.
That 3rd Intermediate 21st dynasty saw civil rift. Six
priests from Thebes and pharaohs from Tanis ruled at the
same times. Each acknowledged the other. Theban military
had some Libyans. One pharaoh was also an Amun priest.
Perhaps that legitimized the 22nd or Ma dynasty.

Seeds planted in one period grow and bloom later in history.
Seeds of Libyan dynasties may derive from thoughts of the
western delta, Fayoum, and elsewhere as old Tjehhenu-land
which may've reverberated westward to Rebu/Libu and other
more remote generic 'Tjemehu' as far as the Meshwesh. The
Northern Egyptians of Tjemehu lineage internally identifed
as Ma short for Meshwesh, the leaders of invasions first on
fellow Libyans ever pushing onward to the prize, Egypt.

Ancient coastal N Afr had relations with other Mediterranean
situated lands and peoples. How much were anye biologically
related to any of the various Sea Peoples before such arose?
Does this show Mykenaean military forces in an internal
'Libyan' affair? Even if in Libya rather than the Aegean?

-

-

[+ Sea Ppls tie ins
[+ rprts on t/cnsprcy

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com