EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Afar man having a traditional hairstyle with a stick to make curly hair, Afar region,

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Afar man having a traditional hairstyle with a stick to make curly hair, Afar region,
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
 -
photo: Eric Lafforgue
https://www.picfair.com/pics/06300765-afar-man-having-a-traditional-hairstyle-with-a-stick-to-make-curly-hair-afar

Afar man having a traditional hairstyle with a stick to make curly hair, Afar region, Afambo, Ethiopia

Posts: 42938 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yatunde Lisa Bey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't I posted this before?

--------------------
It's not my burden to disabuse the ignorant of their wrong opinions

Posts: 2707 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know.

I think its worthy of it's own thread. I had missed seeing a picture of this

Posts: 42938 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yatunde Lisa Bey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I had used this picture because it is the same hair do as the numidian calvary

--------------------
It's not my burden to disabuse the ignorant of their wrong opinions

Posts: 2707 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Antalas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yatunde Lisa:
Yes I had used this picture because it is the same hair do as the numidian calvary

It's not the same hair as the numidian cavalry but the same technique.

Numidians didn't have kinky hair like Afar :

Roman bronze cavalry mask showing the portrait of a Numidian Prince. Late 1st-Early 2nd century AD

-

Bust of Massinissa, king of Numidia, preserved in the Hall of the Philosophers at the Capitoline Museum, Rome - Date of Photo 1890 ca. - Date of Artwork II sec. a.C. - Location Rome -

-

Hellenistic art, bronze head of a noble north african from the temple of Apollo in Cyrene, Libya , 300 B.C., British Museum :

-

This bust apparently might have been the numidian prince Mastanabal according to this paper :

quote:
Its North African features indicate that it is a portrait of an indigenous ruler, and thus attribution must be based on the likelihood of such a person being honoured in Kyrene. It is herein suggested that it is a portrait of the Numidian prince Mastanabal, son of Massinissa, and that it dates to the time that Massinissa was a close associate of the king of Kyrene, the future Ptolemaios VIII of Egypt, or 163–148 BC. Mastanabal was a noted athlete and thus the piece may be a commemoration of one of his victories. Its commissioning would fit into his father's vigorous hellenization policy. Although the style remains difficult of analysis, certain features, especially the beard under the chin, support a second-century BC date."
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-hellenic-studies/article/abs/note-on-the-berber-head-in-london/5CA6AAE0C2B7C74131254F2E54C7694A#
Posts: 1779 | From: Somewhere In the Rif Mountains | Registered: Nov 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
can you add URL for
Roman bronze cavalry mask showing the portrait of a Numidian Prince in your post
thanks

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -  -

I wonder if there is an ancestral relation between this Libyan and the Numidians

Also Assuming the hair on the Numidians was created
by this stick technique and the Afar all the way over in Ethiopia are also using it did one group teach it to the other ?
or they might also have some common ancestry as we see the ancestor of the common E-M81 so called "berber marker" haplogroup of the Maghreb is thought to be descendant of E-M215 which is believed to originate in the horn

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
coin, Juba I, King of Numidia

-

-

This could be that stick method but it also looks less orderly and a little similar to dred locked hair or could be some version of that stick made curl

Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Antalas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
can you add URL for
Roman bronze cavalry mask showing the portrait of a Numidian Prince in your post
thanks

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/70864851_roman-sports-mask-of-an-numidian-prince
Posts: 1779 | From: Somewhere In the Rif Mountains | Registered: Nov 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:

I wonder if there is an ancestral relation between this Libyan and the Numidians

Eastern libyans in general didn't have the same hairstyle

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,: Also Assuming the hair on the Numidians was created
by this stick technique and the Afar all the way over in Ethiopia are also using it did one group teach it to the other ?
or they might also have some common ancestry as we see the ancestor of the common E-M81 so called "berber marker" haplogroup of the Maghreb is thought to be descendant of E-M215 which is believed to originate in the horn [/QB]

Why should it be teached ? That's a simple technique that could have been used by different people at different times moreover not all moors/numidians had that hairstyle.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/70864851_roman-sports-mask-of-an-numidian-prince

However not matching the hair type of Juba I and the Numidian cavalry

Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
 -

that goes back to at least the early neolithic not the time of the numidians
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:

However not matching the hair type of Juba I and the Numidian cavalry

not matching the hair type of Afar either
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of more ancient Libyans with interesting hairstyles

-

Tile with Libyan prisoner from the time of Ramses III. Excavated at Lower Egypt: Nile Delta: Tell el-Yahudiya. Housed in British Museum.

quote:
Polychrome glazed composition tile: this expressive tile is of a captive Libyan chief. Portrayed with uplifted face and one arm bound by a rope, he wears ornamented chest-straps and a loin-cloth, the simple costume of an overlord of the ancient Libyan, or Tjehenu, tribe. His tattoos and pierced ear reflect current Libyan fashion.
Tile with Libyan prisoner, British Museum

-

Tile with another Libyan prisoner from the time of Ramses III, also from Lower Egypt: Nile Delta: Tell el-Yahudiya.
Housed in British Museum

quote:
Part of a polychrome glazed composition tile bearing a relief representation of the head and upper body of a Libyan prisoner with a pointed beard, side-lock and bound hands (one lost).
Tile with Libyan prisoner, British Museum

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2689 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
please stick to the hair type we are talking about, long hanging curls, or hanging curls in rows
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Tjehenu you posted were not too unlike one of the tiles I posted, just that the hair, or locks were more sparse, and combed or oriented in a different manner. Sometimes it is hard to know exactly how thick or thin locks were since ancient pictures can be a bit stylized.

At least they seem to belong to the same people.

But maybe the hairstyles of ancient Libyans merit a separate thread.

-

Four Libyans from the tomb of Seti I. Interesting hairstyles.

-

Old copy by Minutoli (1820) from Hornung, The Tomb of Pharaoh Seti I

Four Libyans

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2689 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
 -

Also Assuming the hair on the Numidians was created
or they might also have some common ancestry as we see the ancestor of the common E-M81 so called "berber marker" haplogroup of the Maghreb is thought to be descendant of E-M215 which is believed to originate in the horn

Labels by yours truly, YYT al~Takruri. Cred where due.
Couldja reformat my label the same way you reformatted
all four Nehhesu labels years ago?

=-=-=-=-=

Lisa correctly mentioned the hair-do (not hair texture) similarity.

If the various Tjemehu of AE notice spoke taMazight
and the particular Numidians under review spoke taMazight
there's a good possibility they have bio-linear continuity.

As previously noted on ES Bates' Eastern Libyans is the prime goto.
Yet and still, as you know, it's hard to show continuity as in identity
for todays', earliest Islamic centuries', Greco-Latin literature's, and
ancient Egypt's northernmost Africans.

That part of Africa's 25,000 years of indigenee continuity
is maternal only. It seems their males were of different
haplogroups over time. The recent male indigenee mates
of the old old U6 females is where taMazight language,
identity, and associated nrY originate. My studies conclude
the language originated somewhere between Lower Nubia and
Darfur, iirc.

Tjemehu is generic for 'Libyan'. The illo has an ethic
specific Libyan type Tjehenu who are possibly the first
Eastern Libyans AE documented in art. They lived in the
north. Before Tjemehu became generic they were also a
specific Libyan ethnic grouping living west of Nehesu
Lower Nubian lands.

This is true to that map that shows Gafsian Neolithic Tradition
peoples covering west of Nile territory clear south to 22°N.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlimJim
Member # 23217

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlimJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Antalas:
quote:
Originally posted by Yatunde Lisa:

It's not the same hair as the numidian cavalry but the same technique.

Numidians didn't have kinky hair like Afar :

Roman bronze cavalry mask showing the portrait of a Numidian Prince. Late 1st-Early 2nd century AD

Interesting, Cushitic/Ethio Semitic speakers dervive most of their ancestry from Egypt/Sudan where the Afar type hairstyle was done, animal fat was also used by Egyptians and Nubians just as the Afar and some other Horners do, this is likely where the practise ultimately derives from, I wonder if Proto Berber migrations from the Nile Valley spread this style among North West Africans.
Posts: 161 | From: England | Registered: May 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antalas
On vacation
Member # 23506

quote:
Originally posted by SlimJim:
Interesting, Cushitic/Ethio Semitic speakers dervive most of their ancestry from Egypt/Sudan where the Afar type hairstyle was done, animal fat was also used by Egyptians and Nubians just as the Afar and some other Horners do, this is likely where the practise ultimately derives from, I wonder if Proto Berber migrations from the Nile Valley spread this style among North West Africans. [/QB]

That's a possibility who knows
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
 -

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com