EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Did Ramses III visit the Arabian Peninsula?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did Ramses III visit the Arabian Peninsula?
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did Ramses III visit the Arabian Peninsula?

https://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/50/1207/412898/AlAhram-Weekly/Heritage/Did-Ramses-III-visit-the-Arabian-Peninsula.aspx

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yatunde Lisa Bey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rumors.. rumors on the underground that these Yemeni mummies are e1b1a

quote:
SANAA (Debriefer)--A mummy which archeologists believe to be the body of a Himyarite king who lived 2.500 years ago was found in Yemen's Houthi-controlled province of Ibb this past weekend.

It was the third discovery in one a half years in the war-torn country which has one of the world's oldest civilisations.

The director of the local office of the Yemeni archeology authority Khalid Ghalib said locals found the mummy in the district of Al-Sayani.
It could be brought from another site in the area, he said, adding that it has been kept in a safe place.

Archeologists urged to keep it where it was found to conduct studies on it.

It was the first time a mummy was found in Ibb, according to archeologists.

The first mummy was discovered in the country by a US mission in mid-1900s.

In 1938, remains of 26 people, including an intact body, were found in the area of Shibam Al-Gharas in Sanaa.

The authorities have failed to build a museum for ancient discoveries since 1990s.

Al-Sayani was inhabited by Himyarites. It has the archaeological sites of Al-Hamra'a, Al-Malik Mountain, Thalem, Sarah, fortresses and inscriptions.

Archeological discoveries in Yemen have increased during the years of the armed conflict.

A week ago, the archeology authority found a cemetery dating back 2.500 years in the area of Al-Mashhad around the towns of Rabyoun and Al-Hajrayn in the eastern provinve of Hadramout.

In August, the minister of culture in the Houthi government Abdullah Al-Kibsi announced a large archaeological discovery in the capital Sanaa.

The discovery was an ancient settlement of two types, the first was a human settlement, and the second stone tombs, both dating back to the Stone and Bronze Ages.

Meanwhile, archeologists argue that mummies dating back to 2.500 years are rare because they had been buried in unreachable rugged areas and caves.

Based on discovered mummies, bodies had been embalmed after gastrectomy, dyed with henna, wrapped with silk and buried with food and weapons, they

-

--------------------
It's not my burden to disabuse the ignorant of their wrong opinions

Posts: 2699 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yatunde Lisa:

Where did you hear this?

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yatunde Lisa Bey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BrandonP:
quote:

Where did you hear this?
I won't reveal my sources.. I said rumors on the underground..

the most I will tell you is that this info might be under suppression in a British University

--------------------

Posts: 2699 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Think about it.. how close is Yemen to where Mota man was found

-

--------------------

Yatunde Lisa Bey
Member # 22253

Rate Member
Not sure if this is official published date but it is interesting for sure

-

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^ this is the link for the previous post >>

http://mummiesyemeni.blogspot.com/2017/09/mummy-research-group-overview-mummy.html

why are you posting this oversize hoax disinformation in the thread and no URL?
blogger has no name and two posts total, same subject 2017, 2019 nothing else since

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/bri/2014/481508/

Evaluating the Biodeterioration Enzymatic Activities of Fungal Contamination Isolated from Some Ancient Yemeni Mummies Preserved in the National Museum
Khalid Mohammed Naj

The ancient Yemeni mummies discovered in 1983 in mountain caves near Shebam al-Giras were rescued by the Archeology Department Expedition of University of Sana’a [23]. The Yemeni mummies are different from those of Egypt. They are older and go back to the 4th century B.C. according to results of radiocarbon analysis of the leather and linen wrappings [24]. The dead bodies were treated different from the Egyptian ones.

Conclusion
It can be concluded that the higher degree of contamination of the ancient Yemeni mummies preserved in the National Museum of Yemen may result from the poor level of preservation conditions. Also the higher activity of hydrolytic enzymes including cellulase, PL, PME, chitinase, and protease from the isolated fungi species represents the major threat that can cause biodeterioration of the ancient Yemeni mummies. Therefore, it is recommended to improve the preservation systems of the mummies at the National Museum to minimize the contamination to the lowest level, which in turn will protect the mummies from biodeterioration.

The Mummy Research Group
University of York

https://www.york.ac.uk/archaeology/research/current-projects/egyptian/

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mightywolf
Member # 23402

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mightywolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Where did you hear this?
I won't reveal my sources.. I said rumors on the underground..

the most I will tell you is that this info might be under suppression in a British University

It would be really cool to have autosomal DNA from Ancient Yemenites. Do you think we'll get some Ancient DNA paper on Yemen in the near future? It's a pity that the Arabian Peninsula, like Africa, is under-sampled.
Posts: 102 | From: private | Registered: Jul 2021  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Yemen (like Ethiopia) has a cache of mummies in their possession, yet these mummies are very much under-studied. I've only read a couple of papers on these mummies and it's mostly archaeological. The few anthropological references they make in regards to craniofacial features say they are "Mediterranean" in classification which we all know that label has been used from Egyptians to Somalians.

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:

https://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/50/1207/412898/AlAhram-Weekly/Heritage/Did-Ramses-III-visit-the-Arabian-Peninsula.aspx

Is this really surprising? As I've shown before, the Egyptians dominated the Red Sea in maritime trade and Yemen is right across from Punt in the Bab-el-Mandeb Strait.

Also, it's not just Yemen but much of the Arabian Peninsula that received significant Egyptian influence as shown in this paper:

Egyptian Cultural Impact on North-west Arabia
in the Second and First Millennia ВС

^ I think the paper above needs a thread of its own since I believe this Egyptian influence became the roots of much of 'Arab' culture from the Nabataeans to even Islamic religion!

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26236 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

If they are, they likely carry the E-M329 branch that's indigenous to the Horn of Africa.

-

Also, let's not forget the texual evidence of an unknown language...

There is no real doubt that the ancestors of both epigraphic (ESA) and modernn South Arabian (MSA) were languages spoken in the Near East rather than Ethiopia. But the date and processes whereby the speakers of these languages migrated and diversified are unknown. Apart from inscriptions that can be read, some contain evidence for completely unknown languages co-existing with ESA. Beeston (1981: 181) cites an inscription from Marib which begins in Sabaean but then switches to an unknown language. He mentions several other texts which have similar morphology (a final –k suffix) and which may represent an unknown non-Semitic language (or possibly a Nilo-Saharan language such as Kunama, for which such a feature would be typical).

--------------------

Posts: 26236 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
But getting back to the topic..

quote:

Apparently he did!

https://www.egypttoday.com/Article/4/63386/Hieroglyphic-inscriptions-discovered-in-Saudi-Arabia

-

CAIRO – 13 January 2019: Saudi Arabian archaeologists discovered a hieroglyphic inscription illustrating the signature of King Ramses III, one of the kings of Pharaonic Egypt.

Al-Arabiya channel broadcasted the discovery of the inscriptions in Tayma in Northern Saudi Arabia,one of the largest archaeological sites in the kingdom and the Arabian Peninsula.

The Hieroglyphic inscription was found on a fixed rock, near the Tayma oasis. It bears a royal signature (a double cartouche) of King Ramses III.

Several additional Aramaic, Thamudic and Nabataea inscriptions, as well as ancient illustrations of cattle, ostriches and snakes were discovered.

King Ramses III is the most famous ruler of the 20th Dynasty known by the Greeks as Rampsinitus. He followed his father Ramses II's reign to embark on massive construction projects.

According to historians, it is customary that such inscriptions are engraved only in the presence of the Pharaoh himself, and this is an indication that Ramses III was present in this region.

The Saudi archaeologists conducted a field research in which they found a direct commercial route linking the Nile Valley with Tayma.

The route was used during the reign of Ramses III in the 12th century B.C., in which the Egyptian convoys traveled to purchase precious goods such as Copper, gold and silver.

The route passes from the Nile Valley into the port of Alqulzm, Suez, where a temple of King Ramses III is located.The route then continues near the port of Abu Zenaim on the Gulf of Suez, where inscriptions of King Ramses III were found.

The passage then crosses the Sinai Peninsula, passing by the Abu Ghda valley near the Nakhl Oasis, where a double cartouche named after King Ramses III was discovered.

It is noteworthy that a number of archaeological discoveries made in Egypt were previously discovered in a number of archaeological sites in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

--------------------

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bronze Age Arabia in general needs more investigation. I know the Sumerians and Harappans traded with a place on the Persian Gulf called Dilmun, and I've read speculation that the Biblical Midian where Moses went to was in northwestern Arabia, but that is the most I can recall off the top of my head. I wonder what kind of people were behind these early Arabian cultures? Some of them must have been South Semitic speakers like the later Sabaeans.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
But getting back to the topic..

quote:
[qb]

Apparently he did!

https://www.egypttoday.com/Article/4/63386/Hieroglyphic-inscriptions-discovered-in-Saudi-Arabia

-

The Pharaonic Tayma inscription is a hieroglyphic petroglyph found near the oasis of Tayma in Tabuk Region, Saudi Arabia. It was discovered by local archaeologists in 2010. The rock engraving was found around 400 km north of Madinah and northeast of the ancient Nabatean site of Madain Saleh. It marks the first confirmed hieroglyphic epigraph discovered in the Kingdom.

According to the SCTA Vice President for Antiquities and Museums Ali Ibrahim Al-Ghabban, the petroglyph contains an inscription belonging to the 20th Dynasty Pharaoh Ramses III (r.1192 BC to 1160 BC).

I'm not sure if they can prove it's authentic but maybe

For instance, I go copy a cartouche or some existing Egyptian inscription and then go carve it into some rock somewhere not in Egypt, leave it there for someone to find
If done well how would they know for sure if it was real or not?

quote:
Rock Art Dating Methods: Problems and Solutions

Absolute Dating Problems

In archaeological terminology, there are two categories of dating methods: absolute and relative. Absolute dating utilizes one or more of a variety of chronometric techniques to produce a computed numerical age, typically with a standard error. Different researchers have applied a variety of absolute dating methods directly to petroglyphs or to sediments covering them, including AMS (accelerator mass spectrometry) radiocarbon, cation ratio, amino acid racemization, OSL (optically stimulated luminescence), lichenometry, micro-erosion and micro-stratification analysis of patina. (See http://home.vicnet.net.au/~auranet/date/web/index.html for a summary and references). These techniques have yielded mixed results in terms of reliability and feasibility, but, in any case, none has been applied to date in Saudi Arabia. It is hoped that absolute dating will be successfully implemented in the future in this region.

Another way that precise dating can be achieved is if the artist records the actual date of his or her creation, the name of a leader of known reign, or a distinctive historical event, like the inscription shown in the previous chapter about King Yousif Assar Yathar’s invasion of the Najran region in 518 CE. Then, however, it must be clear that the artist is referring to his or her own time, and not providing historical commentary.

Relative Dating of Rock Art
Given the current status of direct chronometric dating methods for Arabian petroglyphs, it is rare that the precise age of a rock art panel can be determined. However, all is not lost, and it is possible to establish a temporal sequence that can be quite edifying. To progress, it is essential to apply the second type, or relative, dating. The term refers to the fact that an approximate date can be inferred by comparison with something else of known age. In this case, a rock art panel may be judged to be younger, older or basically contemporaneous with another petroglyph, a site, an artifact, or other evidence of known antiquity. Relative dating, although somewhat less satisfying than absolute dating in terms of precision, is considerably more successful for petroglyphs.

ARABIAN ROCK ART HERITAGE

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Not ruling out the possibility of the petroglyphic cartouches being fake, another piece of evidence that Ramses III may have visited the area comes from the fact that there are 20th dynasty records actually describing the Hejaz (western Arabia) as well as the peoples and tribes who inhabited it.

quote:

Bronze Age Arabia in general needs more investigation. I know the Sumerians and Harappans traded with a place on the Persian Gulf called Dilmun, and I've read speculation that the Biblical Midian where Moses went to was in northwestern Arabia, but that is the most I can recall off the top of my head. I wonder what kind of people were behind these early Arabian cultures? Some of them must have been South Semitic speakers like the later Sabaeans.

Don't forget about about Magan which was likely in Oman. Magan was described as the first maritime trade partner of Meluhha (Indus civilization) before Dilmun and Sumer.

-

-

This makes me wonder if Egypt had their own maritime partners in the Hejaz and Yemen.

--------------------

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
I think this is this significant, because we all know that Retenu (the Levant) was a vassal region to Egypt and Egypt had a military and economic presence there but not enough is known about their relations with Arabia.

Amarna Period map: Egyptian vassals in dark green circles  -

Egypt traces relics of Ramses III back to Saudi Arabia (June 6, 2021)

CAIRO — Egypt's former Minister of State for Antiquities Affairs and prominent Egyptologist Zahi Hawass said in a press statement May 27 that he discussed in a meeting with the CEO of the Heritage Commission of the Saudi Ministry of Culture, Jasir al-Harbash, the mechanisms needed to kickstart the excavation project at the site of King Ramses III, one of the kings of the 20th Dynasty of ancient Egypt, in Saudi Arabia in November.

Hawass noted research showed that King Ramses III had deployed several missions to extract copper from a neighboring country and recorded this on a papyrus from that era. This neighboring country is believed to be Saudi Arabia, he added.

Once the trade route is unveiled, he continued, a lot of information regarding its use during historical eras will be coming our way.

He pointed out that there are many other regions found on the trade route that linked the two countries, and excavations will be carried out in these regions to find new evidence of Egyptian kings who sent missions to Saudi Arabia more than 3,000 years ago.

An important group of scarabs found in Saudi Arabia came from Egypt, he said.

On Nov. 7, 2010, the Saudi Supreme Commission for Tourism and Antiquities (SCTA) announced the discovery of what it described as the first hieroglyphic inscription in the Arabian Peninsula dating back to the 12th century B.C., an inscription found on a rock in the Tayma region of northern Saudi Arabia. The inscription includes a cartouche (royal signature) of King Ramses III, the last king of Ramesses (the kings of that period were all called Ramses), who ruled Egypt between 1192 and 1160 B.C., which confirms the existence of a commercial relationship between the two countries at that time.

The commission said that Saudi archaeologists conducted a field and desk research that led them to conclude that there is a direct trade route linking the Nile Valley with Tayma in northwestern Saudi Arabia that was used during the reign of Pharaoh Ramses III. Egyptian convoys would travel by this road to buy valuable goods in Tayma, which was famous for its incense, copper, gold and silver.

Ali bin Ibrahim al-Ghabban, vice president for Antiquities and Museums at the SCTA, said back then that the discovery of this road will be a turning point as far as studies about the roots of civilizational relations between Egypt and the Arabian Peninsula are concerned.

He expected more cartouches of Ramses III to be found on the trade route, or cartouches of other kings of Egypt in Hasma — a sand desert in the Tabuk region of northern Saudi Arabia, stretching over 400 kilometers (248 miles) between Tayma and the Aqaba Gulf on the Red Sea. The area is characterized by rocky facades suitable for writing and engraving.

Saudi Arabia, one of the countries of the Arabian Peninsula, is located in Asia to the east of the Arab Republic of Egypt, and the two countries are separated by the Red Sea.

Asked about the details of the excavation project in Saudi Arabia, Hawass told Al-Monitor over the phone that this is the first time that an Egyptian mission digs for Pharaonic antiquities in Saudi Arabia, as the missions that were previously deployed there were mainly foreign. He pointed out that the excavations will take place at two sites, one of them near the coast and another near the area where the cartouche belonging to Ramses III was found — the Tayma region.

Asked about his expectations of what the excavation will lead to, Hawass said that there will be no expectations regarding the shape or nature of the antiquities that the mission is looking for before the excavation begins, but the mission is trying to find out more about the existence of a commercial relationship between Egypt and Saudi Arabia in the era of the modern Egyptian state dating back 3,000 years.

The mission, he added, set a period of three months for the excavations before the announcement of any discoveries.

Tayma is considered one of the most important archaeological sites in Saudi Arabia and the Arabian Peninsula in general, and includes antiquities dating back more than 85,000 years. It was traditionally a commercial and economic hub and a melting pot for the ancient trade routes.

According to a report published by the Saudi Press Agency on Oct. 7, 2018, many civilizations settled in the Tayma region.

Hussein Abdel Basir, director of the Antiquities Museum at Bibliotheca Alexandrina, told Al-Monitor over the phone that the Arabian Peninsula, including Saudi Arabia, has a rich civilization, and there were lines of communication between this region and Egypt in the past, as evidenced by the inscriptions that belonged to King Ramses III. Also, there was a relationship between Egypt and the Qataban region in Yemen (in the Arabian Peninsula) during the reign of King Thutmose III, who belonged to the 18th Dynasty, he said.

Asked about Tayma particularly, Abdel Basir said that it served as the seat of the last Babylonian king, Nabonidus, who ruled during the period 556-539 B.C., as mentioned by the Arabs in the Assyrian texts in the seventh century B.C.

He noted that the presence of an Egyptian mission excavating antiquities there is pivotal, as it enhances cooperation between Egypt and Saudi Arabia in the archaeological field.

“I believe that the mission’s goal is not to prove the existence of a relationship between the two countries per se but to focus on the value of what will result from this drilling irrespective of its nature,” he concluded.

I've known that Tayma was an oasis settlement that was a major trading post between Arabia and the Levant and came under Egyptian control before being taken over by the Assyrians, then Babylonians, and then the local Qedarites, followed by the Judaeans.

Many of us who know about ancient history may be familiar with ancient caravan route known as the 'King's Highway' which goes from between the two Egyptian cities of Iunu (Heliopolis) and Menefer (Memphis) to the northwestern Arabian town of Eilat and then onwards to the city of Resafa on the west bank of the Euphrates.

The Via Maris (purple), King's Highway (red), and other ancient Levantine trade routes, c. 1300 BCE
 -

But many people forget about the so-called 'Incense Road' a.k.a. 'Solomon's Highway' which stretched from Petra to Marib.

-

Is it probable if not likely that the Egyptians were the first to consolidate the Incense Road? Again, we have evidence of Egyptian artifacts all around Arabia especially from the Hejaz to Yemen, from Tayma to Teman, so that seems to be the case!

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com