This is topic Scale models -- Wooden models in forum Egyptology at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=007300

Posted by alTakruri (Member # 10195) on :

I really like the AE version of "toy train scenes."

They allow us a peek of day to day life and society.

This is a call to show one model per post.

Please, no racial invectives in this thread, thank you.

-

Riverboat
Thebes, tomb of Meketre, early Dynasty 12, ca. 1985 B.C.
Gessoed and painted wood, l. 50 3/8 in.
Rogers Fund and Edward S. Harkness Gift, 1920

-

Granary
Gessoed and painted wood, l. 29 1/8 in.

-

herds of cattle are being driven past Mehenkwetre by muscular and active herdsmen, carrying staves. The lord, attended by his son and heir, sits in a sort of grand-stand, surveying his live stock critically while scribes take note of the number and condition of the beasts. The figures of the men are each about eight inches high.

-

From the tomb of Mehenkwetre, chancellor and
steward of the royal palace during the reign
of Pharaoh Mentuhotep (about 2,000 years B.C.)

Posted by Just call me Jari (Member # 14451) on :

I found some good Wooden Models of Amunhotep III

-

Amunhotep III

The dynamics of permanence and change in Egyptian art are well reflected in this statuette of Amunhotep III. The form of the striding male figure dates back to as early as Dynasty 3 (circa 2675–2625 B.C.). The Blue Crown, an element of iconography, did not appear until right before Dynasty 18 (circa 1539 B.C.), more than one thousand years later. The style was completely new: unlike most Egyptian kings, Amunhotep III allowed himself to be portrayed as an aging man with a noticeable paunch and sagging jowls.

* Medium: Wood, gilded
* Possible Place Collected: Thebes, Egypt
* Dates: ca. 1390-1352 B.C.E.
* Dynasty: late XVIII Dyansty
* Period: New Kingdom
* Dimensions: 10 3/8 in. (26.3 cm) Base: 6 5/16 x 1 1/16 x 2 3/8 in. (16 x 2.7 x 6 cm)

-

Standing Statuette of Lady Tuty

Lady Tuty's statuette was discovered in a communal tomb at Medinet Gurob. The style of Tuty's sculpture is more traditional than a statue of Lady Mi also found at the tomb: the figure is slimmer and the fringed dress is depicted in a plainer, heavier fabric. Certain elements—such as the big gilded earrings and the faint traces of gilded sandals—associate her with the extraordinary wealth of Amunhotep's time. The cone on her head represents a type of perfumed ointment worn by wealthy Egyptians at banquets and other opulent occasions. The cone gradually melted, releasing its fragrance over the hair and clothes.

* Place Excavated: Medinet Gurob, Egypt
* Dates: ca. 1390-1352 B.C.E.
* Dynasty: XVIII Dynasty
* Dimensions: 10 1/8 x 1 7/8 x 5 1/2 in. (25.7 x 4.8 x 14 cm)

-

Statuette of the Lady Mi Standing

One of the finest wooden sculptures to survive from antiquity, this exquisitely carved figure of Lady Mi shows the elaborate wig and huge gold earrings worn by the great women of King Amunhotep's court. Both Amunhotep III and Queen Tiye allowed themselves to be represented as mature—rather than eternally youthful—individuals. Faithful courtiers followed the royal lead. The carver of this figure indicated the drooping breasts and sagging belly of an older woman beneath the gossamer linen of the dress.

* Place Excavated: Medinet Ghurob, Egypt
* Dates: ca. 1390-1353 B.C.E.
* Dynasty: XVIII Dynasty
* Dimensions: 6 3/16 x 1 3/4 x 2 1/4 in. (15.7 x 4.4 x 5.7 cm) Base: 3/4 in. (1.9 cm)

Posted by Whatbox (Member # 10819) on :

Kemetian Soldiers

-

From the tomb of Mesehti, 11th Dynasty.

Other angles [click here] also reveal the great detail applied to these figurines.

Check out the attention to the differences in the facial profiles of the Soldiery portrayed above, especially from various angles (the shown and linked two photos are front view and diagnal-front-left views -- I've seen a clear diagnal-right-above-front too, showing more faces unseen here).

-

Meketre's Carpentry Workshop

-

Egyptian Middle Kingdom: a farm worker plowing the fields.

-

Title: Group of offering bearers
Period: Middle Kingdom
Dynasty: Dynasty 12
Reign: Amenemhat I, early
Date: ca. 1981–1975 B.C.
Geography: Thebes, Southern Asasif, Tomb of Meketre

-

Henu tomb statue

-

Meketre's model of women of a weaving workshop, from the 11th Dynasty.

-

Female bearers, seen them plenty of times, will try to find out again from whence...

Posted by Kalonji (Member # 17303) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Whatbox:
 -

Female bearers, seen them plenty of times, will try to find out again from whence...

Interesting.
Read somewhere that depictions of females with a single boobie out are only displayed in 2d images,

-

but not reproduced in 3d statues of the same/similar scene. This seems to contradict that.

Hey alTakruri, are these legal in this thread,

-

or would you prefer images strictly of wooden models and not items that double in function as brushes, containers, kits, and / or dolls?

From Flickr:

quote:
Originally posted by docpi:

Ancient Egyptian Round Bottom
British Museum, London, UK

This is the handle of an ancient Egyptian facial make-up powder box.
Wealthy Egyptian women held it before them to apply make-up to their faces with a brush operated with their other hand.

Note how the ancient Egyptians of pharaonic times already had a highly developed sense of eroticism. Too bad that her feet broke off meanwhile. I am confident that they would have been a treat.

This was over two thousand years ago and her bottom still looks highly attractive. Who says that old women cannot not look sexy?
Try not to think about that bottom, now that you have seen it! Try!

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/egyptancientmodels.htm

-

-

-

quote:
One of the truly rare events in Egyptology is the discovery of an intact tomb. Among the kings of Egypt, Tut was the only intact tomb found to date. We are pleased to have Dr. Marleen De Meyer present her findings on one such tomb. Since 2002 the University of Leuven (Belgium) has been conducting excavations at the site of Dayr al-Barsha in Middle Egypt. This place was used as a necropolis by the inhabitants of the nearby provincial capital Hermopolis throughout most of ancient Egyptian history. Dayr al-Barsha is most famous for its Middle Kingdom nomarchs’ tombs, including the well-preserved tomb of governor Djehutihotep, but the site also contains a large Old Kingdom rock necropolis. The limestone cliffs are honeycombed with hundreds of small Old Kingdom tombs, some of which preserve traces of decoration. In several of these tombs, a restoration inscription dating to the late First Intermediate Period was carved. What this restoration consisted of, became clear when the intact burial of Henu was found, an administrator serving under a governor named Djehutinakht at the end of the First Intermediate Period. This burial contained not only the perfectly preserved coffin and mummy of the deceased, but also a number of wooden tomb models portraying scenes of daily life in Ancient Egypt.
site

Niankhpepi, Dynasty VI, reign of Pepi I (2332 - 2283).

-

Fig. 1. Side view of the carrier of the backpack. Photo in M. DAMIANO, old Egypt. The splendor of the Pharaohs, Madrid, 2001, p. 92.

-

Fig. 2. Front view of the bearer of the backpack. Photo at Egyptian Treasures from the collection of the Egyptian Museum in Cairo (coordinated by f. TIRADRITTI work), Barcelona, 2000, p. 100.

-

Fig. 4. Detail of the backpack. Photo at Egyptian Treasures from the collection of the Egyptian Museum in Cairo (coordinated by f. TIRADRITTI work), Barcelona, 2000, p. 100.

-

Fig. 5. Detail of coiled tape to the left arm. Photo in a. EGGEBRECHT, the ancient Egypt. 3000 years of history and culture of the Pharaonic Empire, Barcelona, 1990, p. 426.

-

Fig 3. Niankhpepi, - black - wood sculpture. Dynasty VI. Museum of Cairo. Picture in j. p. COR-TEGGIANI, L' Egypte des pharaons au Musée du Caire, Paris, 1986, p. 60.

site

-

Fig. 6 Man hanging a duck. Photo at Egyptian Treasures from the collection of the Egyptian Museum in Cairo (coordinated by f. TIRADRITTI work), Barcelona, 2000, p. 103.

-

Fig. 7 Man plowing. Photo at Egyptian Treasures from the collection of the Egyptian Museum in Cairo (coordinated by f. TIRADRITTI work), Barcelona, 2000, p. 100.

-

Fig. 8. Model of the preparation of bread and beer. Photo at Egyptian Treasures from the collection of the Egyptian Museum in Cairo (coordinated by f. TIRADRITTI work), Barcelona, 2000, p. 102.

site

Posted by Siptah (Member # 17601) on :

-

Statuette of Wah, Middle Kingdom, Dynasty 12, reign of Amenemhat I, ca. 1975 b.c.
Egyptian; From the tomb of Wah, western Thebes
Plastered and painted wood; linen

Posted by Wally (Member # 2936) on :

Pop on your Anaglyph 3D Glasses to view these photos of...

Kuti n Keme.t (Ancient Egyptian sailors)

-

-

That's cool man.

All I ask is no racial invectives
and just one image per post.

quote:
Hey alTakruri, are these legal in this thread,

or would you prefer images strictly of wooden models and not items that double in function as brushes, containers, kits, and / or dolls?

Posted by Apocalypse (Member # 8587) on :

-

Title
Model butcher shop

Period
Middle Kingdom

Dynasty
Dynasty 11–13

Date
ca. 2030–1640 B.C.

Geography
Egypt, Middle Egypt, Meir (Mir)

Medium
Wood

-

Title
Model of Brewers, Bakers, and Butchers

Period
Middle Kingdom

Dynasty
Dynasty 11–13

Date
ca. 2030–1640 B.C.

Geography
Egypt, Middle Egypt, Meir (Mir), Khashaba excavations, 1910-1911

Medium
Wood, gesso, paint

Dimensions
l. 49 cm (19 5/16 in); w. 30 cm (11 13/16 in)

-

Title
Model farmyard and butchery

Period
Middle Kingdom

Dynasty
Dynasty 11–mid 12

Date
ca. 2030–1850 B.C.

Geography

Medium
Wood, paint

-

Title
Model of a Cow and Her Calf

Period
Middle Kingdom

Dynasty
Dynasty 11–mid 12

Date
ca. 2030–1850 B.C.

Geography

Medium
Wood

Dimensions
h. 24 cm (9 7/16 in); w. 38.5 cm (15 3/16 in)

-

Title
Model Boat

Period
Middle Kingdom

Dynasty
Dynasty 11–13

Date
ca. 2030–1640 B.C.

Geography

Medium
Wood, paint

-

Title
Model of a Garden

Period
Middle Kingdom

Dynasty
Dynasty 12

Reign
reign of Amenemhat I, early

Date
ca. 1981–1975 B.C.

Geography
Egypt, Upper Egypt; Thebes, Southern Asasif, Tomb of Meketre (TT 280, MMA 1101), MMA 1920

Medium
Wood, paint Copper

Dimensions
l. 84 cm (33 1/16); w. 42.5 cm (16 3/4 in); h. 39.5 cm (15 9/16)

-

Title
Group of offering bearers

Period
Middle Kingdom

Dynasty
Dynasty 12

Reign
reign of Amenemhat I, early

Date
ca. 1981–1975 B.C.

Geography
Egypt, Upper Egypt; Thebes, Southern Asasif, Tomb of Meketre (TT 280, MMA 1101), Serdab, MMA 1920

Medium
Plastered and painted wood, linen

Dimensions
l. 47.5 cm (18 11/16 in); w. 7.2 cm (2 13/16 in); h. of base 3 cm (1 3/16 in); h. of figures 24 cm. (10 5/8 in)

All of above images, that I've posted, are from Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.

-

[ A good site. ]

Posted by Djehuti (Member # 6698) on :

^ Wow. Nice photos, guys. Let the trolls chew on these authentic figures of (BLACK) Egyptians.

Good finds Apoco!!

-

Metjetji, the subject of this statue, is shown in later life, with the long kilt of a senior official and, as viewed from the side, a rather flabby torso. The expensive addition of inlaid stone eyes with copper rims suggests that this one was considered the most important of Metjetji's statues. A large head, big eyes, and very long fingers often appear on statues of this time; here they seem to suggest wisdom and maturity.

* Medium: Wood, gessoed and painted; alabaster, obsidian, copper
* Possible Place Collected: Saqqara, Egypt
* Dates: ca. 2371-2288 B.C.E.
* Dynasty: late V Dynasty-early VI Dynasty
* Period: Old Kingdom

-

Statue of Metjetji

* Medium: Wood, painted
* Possible Place Collected: Saqqara, Egypt
* Dates: ca. 2371-2288 B.C.E.
* Dynasty: late V Dynasty-early VI Dynasty
* Period: Old Kingdom

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ Wow. Nice photos, guys. Let the trolls chew on these authentic figures of (BLACK) Egyptians.

^^He said no racial invectives -- being in Rome (speaking in English), black can be a racial invective when describing people.

It's completely not necessary. Ok, they have a problem. OLD news, it's their problem.

Posted by Djehuti (Member # 6698) on :

^ Sorry I missed that.

-

woman brewing beer
 -

More beer making
 -

-

-

Along with no racial invectives I also pleaded for
limiting each post to just one photo as a bandwidth
consideration.

Example of page loading constraints
6 imagess per post = 300 images to load on a page
1 image per post = 50 images to load on a page
Be kind to the surfer who may have a weak very
slow connection or a minimal feature computer.

Please don't anyone feel put off or offended by
this request. I can't begin to qualify how much
I appreciate each and every image that each
and everyone has posted in this thread.

All your supporting contributions have been
tremendous and I look forward to all your
future offerings expanding on this true
to Egyptology topic.

Posted by KING (Member # 9422) on :

alTakruri

Great thread alTakruri:

-

Peace

^

Nude figure of the seal bearer Tjetji

-

Date
2321BC-2184BC (circa)
Period/Culture
6th Dynasty

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/search_the_collection_database/search_object_details.aspx?objectid=125469&partid=1&searchText=obsidian&fromADBC=ad&toADBC=ad&numpages=10&image s=on&orig=%2Fresearch%2Fsearch_the_collection_database.aspx¤tPage=51

Wooden model of a servant girl

First Intermediate Period (2181 – 2040 BC)

-

Model boat of Ukhhotep

-

Period
Middle Kingdom
Dynasty
Dynasty 12
Date
ca. 1981–1802 B.C.

Statuette of the Young Tama

-

On display at: 
Egyptian Museum Cairo
Dynasty
Dynasty 18

Servant Girl Statuette

-

18th Dynasty boxwood carving of a nude Nubian servant girl, carrying a large jar. A container for cosmetics from the New Kingdom, 18th Dynasty, ca. 1350 B.C.

On display at the Durham University, Oriental Museum, EG 3568

Posted by zarahan- aka Enrique Cardova (Member # 15718) on :

Nice collection.

Posted by -Just Call Me Jari- (Member # 14451) on :

-

Posted by Wally (Member # 2936) on :

King TutAnkhAmen -------------------------------------------- Egyptian Fisherman --------------------------------------------------------------- Egyptian Nobleman
 -

Posted by rahotep101 (Member # 18764) on :

The ones in the fist column of this montage are all from the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford.

-

Posted by -Just Call Me Jari- (Member # 14451) on :

@ Wally can you edit your image size??

@ Rahotep can you post the originals if you can...I.E the Statues by themselves not in collage form..

Thanks..

quote:
Originally posted by Siptah:
Model boat of Ukhhotep

-

Period
Middle Kingdom
Dynasty
Dynasty 12
Date
ca. 1981–1802 B.C.

good work Siptah.

quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
 -

Granary
Gessoed and painted wood, l. 29 1/8 in.

^Excellent work Takuri. We don't often see these.
A surprising number of "daily life" books I have
seen opt for wall paintings and don't show figurines.

-

quote:

One of the truly rare events in Egyptology is the discovery of an intact tomb. Among the kings of Egypt, Tut was the only intact tomb found to date. We are pleased to have Dr. Marleen De Meyer present her findings on one such tomb. Since 2002 the University of Leuven (Belgium) has been conducting excavations at the site of Dayr al-Barsha in Middle Egypt. This place was used as a necropolis by the inhabitants of the nearby provincial capital Hermopolis throughout most of ancient Egyptian history. Dayr al-Barsha is most famous for its Middle Kingdom nomarchs’ tombs, including the well-preserved tomb of governor Djehutihotep, but the site also contains a large Old Kingdom rock necropolis. The limestone cliffs are honeycombed with hundreds of small Old Kingdom tombs, some of which preserve traces of decoration. In several of these tombs, a restoration inscription dating to the late First Intermediate Period was carved. What this restoration consisted of, became clear when the intact burial of Henu was found, an administrator serving under a governor named Djehutinakht at the end of the First Intermediate Period. This burial contained not only the perfectly preserved coffin and mummy of the deceased, but also a number of wooden tomb models portraying scenes of daily life in Ancient Egypt.

link

Thnx for a source Swenet (page 1)

quote:
Originally posted by Amun-Ra the Ultimate:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm122/photowebber/Ancient%20Kemet%204/WoodenspoonhandleagirlformatNewKingdomLouvre.jpg

Wooden spoon handle in the form of a girl, New Kingdom, Louvre.

Posted by the lioness (Member # 17353) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Amun-Ra the Ultimate:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm122/photowebber/Ancient%20Kemet%204/WoodenspoonhandleagirlformatNewKingdomLouvre.jpg

Wooden spoon handle in the form of a girl, New Kingdom, Louvre.
 -

nice butt

Posted by Tukuler (Member # 19944) on :

^

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com