This is topic common madhab of egypt? in forum Religion at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=002743

Posted by doodlebug (Member # 11649) on :

assalam alaykum

just curious what is the most common madhab that most people follow in Egypt?

Posted by Ayisha (Member # 4713) on :

good question doodle. I THINK that most of the Middle East/North Africa is more Maliki as imam malik was the one who travelled that area to spread Islam.

Posted by bibo1978 (Member # 9287) on :

well in Egypt they use abo'hanifa's madhab for marriage, prayer timing, praying ... as far as my knowledge.
Yet people aren't actually bounded to one imam, I don't think there are people whom are pounded to one imam any longer, plus the difference between most of sunni's imam's are very minor in general

Posted by Tream Lefty (Member # 6244) on :

Husband's family is Maliki.

It's hard to find information on this madhab in English; at least that's been my experience.

Posted by faithalwaysn4ever (Member # 11860) on :

ok.... stupid question.... excuse the ignorance... can someone post a definition of that for me pls? or a quick explanation... sorry! TY in advance.

Posted by newcomer (Member # 1056) on :

Assalamu alaykum faithalwaysn4ever!

A madh-hab is a referring to a school of Fiqh (Islamic legal jurisprudence). The four most commonly referred to ones are named after their founding imams: Maliki, Hanafi, Shafi'i, and Hanbali. Basically they all came in a sequence after each other, and were students of each other, and, as their knowledge grew, they developed their own methods of interpreting the law of Islam. So the majority of their laws are the same, but there are some minor differences in the branches. They all refer to the Qur'an and the Prophet's Sunnah as the main sources of law, but have different opinions about the uses of some of the others.

They all however admitted that they were only human beings and may have made mistakes, so if anyone of knowledge found anything in the Qur'an and Sunnah that contradicted their rulings then they should take the Qur'an and Sunnah in preference.

Many people in the Muslim world adhere to one or other of the madh-habs and certain ones are dominant in certain countries. However, Egypt seems to have adopted a more eclectic interpretation of the law due to the fact that it has had many different influences over the years, not only from the Sunni madh-habs, but also in the early days in particular from Shi'ism.

Posted by humanist (Member # 12798) on :

quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
They all however admitted that they were only human beings and may have made mistakes, so if anyone of knowledge found anything in the Qur'an and Sunnah that contradicted their rulings then they should take the Qur'an and Sunnah in preference.

Well now, that's a relief since what I see in terms of how many Muslims practice and espouse their beliefs to be in major contradiction to the most important source of all, EL QURAN.

The only ppl who are touted as "knowledgable" are given such a title only if they continue to "interpret" along the same lines as those before them...it's a tightly knit, sewn up fraternity.

Posted by newcomer (Member # 1056) on :

SAYINGS OF THE IMAAMS REGARDING FOLLOWING THE QUR'AN AND SUNNAH AND IGNORING THEIR VIEWS CONTRADICTORY TO IT

It would be beneficial if we gave some of these here, for perhaps this will admonish or remind those who follow the opinion of the Imaams - nay, of those far below the Imaams in rank - blindly18, sticking to their madhhabs or views as if these had descended from the heavens! But Allaah, Mighty and Sublime, says:

"Follow (O men!) the revelation given to you from your Lord, and follow not, as friends and protectors, other than Him. Little is it you remember of admonition."

1) Abu Haneefah (rahimahullaah)

The first of them is Abu Haneefah Nu'maan ibn Thaabit, whose companions have narrated from him various sayings and diverse warnings, all of them leading to one thing: the obligation to accept the Hadeeth, and to give up following the opinions of the imaams which contradict it:

1. "When a hadeeth is found to be saheeh, then that is my madhhab."

2. "It is not permitted for anyone to accept our views if they do not know from where we got them."

In one narration, "It is prohibited for someone who does not know my evidence to give verdicts on the basis of my words."

Another narration adds, "... for we are mortals: we say one thing one day, and take it back the next day."

3. "When I say something contradicting the Book of Allaah the Exalted or what is narrated from the Messenger (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam), then ignore my saying."

2) Maalik ibn Anas (rahimahullaah)

As for Imaam Maalik ibn Anas, he said:

1. "Truly I am only a mortal: I make mistakes (sometimes) and I am correct (sometimes). Therefore, look into my opinions: all that agrees with the Book and the Sunnah, accept it; and all that does not agree with the Book and the Sunnah, ignore it."

2. "Everyone after the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) will have his sayings accepted and rejected - not so the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam)."

3) Shaafi'i (rahimahullaah)

As for Imaam Shaafi'i, the quotations from him are most numerous and beautiful, and his followers were the best in sticking to them:

1. "The sunnahs of the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) reach, as well as escape from, every one of us. So whenever I voice my opinion, or formulate a principle, where something contrary to my view exists on the authority of the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam), then the correct view is what the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) has said, and it is my view."

2. "The Muslims are unanimously agreed that if a sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) is made clear to someone, it is not permitted for him to leave it for the saying of anyone else."

3. "If you find in my writings something different to the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam), then speak on the basis of the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam), and leave what I have said."

In one narration: "... then follow it (the Sunnah), and do not look sideways at anyone else's saying."

4. "When a hadeeth is found to be saheeh, then that is my madhhab."

5. "You are more knowledgeable about Hadeeth than I, so when a hadeeth is saheeh, inform me of it, whether it is from Kufah, Basrah or Syria, so that I may take the view of the hadeeth, as long as it is saheeh."

6. "In every issue where the people of narration find a report from the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) to be saheeh which is contrary to what I have said, then I take my saying back, whether during my life or after my death."

7. "If you see me saying something, and contrary to it is authentically-reported from the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam), then know that my intelligence has departed."

8. "For everything I say, if there is something authentic from the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) contrary to my saying, then the hadeeth of the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) comes first, so do not follow my opinion."

9. "Every statement on the authority of the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) is also my view, even if you do not hear it from me."

4) Ahmad ibn Hanbal (rahimahullaah)

Imaam Ahmad was the foremost among the Imaams in collecting the Sunnah and sticking to it, so much so that he even "disliked that a book consisting of deductions and opinions be written." Because of this he said:

1. "Do not follow my opinion; neither follow the opinion of Maalik, nor Shaafi'i, nor Awzaa'i, nor Thawri, but take from where they took."

In one narration: "Do not copy your Deen from anyone of these, but whatever comes from the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) and his Companions, take it; next are their Successors, where a man has a choice."

Once he said: "Following means that a man follows what comes from the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) and his Companions; after the Successors, he has a choice."

2. "The opinion of Awzaa'i, the opinion of Maalik, the opinion of Abu Haneefah: all of it is opinion, and it is all equal in my eyes. However, the proof is in the narrations (from the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) and his Companions)."

3. "Whoever rejects a statement of the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) is on the brink of destruction."
http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/pillars/prayer/albaani/prayer_5.html#HEADING4

thanks guys!

Posted by hibbah (Member # 12156) on :

my guys madhab is shafi, but his family uses the hanafi madhab for marriage.

and you thinking about trying to stick to one doodlebug?

I'm just beginning to delve into the differences. I'm taking a course on the hanafi madhab right now since my husband follows it, but I'd like to explore all of the other ones once I research this one.

I'm also trying to figure out if it's a bad thing necessarily not to follow one. I kind of like Tariq Ramadan's philosophy but I don't think he really follows any certain madhab. I don't want to also just follow what I like...I am the type of person who needs definite direction. [Smile]

Posted by hibbah (Member # 12156) on :

i dont think its neccesarily "bad" not to follow a madhab, it just makes everything much easier. no one can say madhabs are written in stone (although there are people who get really heated about them for some reason- i never got that).

most people from the indian subcontinent follow the hanafi madhab, so naturally thats what my parents follow, and thats what i follow. its all basically the same- ive run into a few differences - for example when I pray salaah, apparently theres a part at the end that my guy doesnt recite. or in the hanafi madhab, some types of seafood are considered "makruh" while in other madhabs, its not.

but yeah, it makes things easier. i doubt id ever have the time or the patience to understand islamic jurispudence. if some guys already put their lives into it, why not take advantage?

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com