This is topic Do Egyptians Eat Kibbeh and Akowi? in forum Eat like an Egyptian at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000151

Posted by hibbah (Member # 12156) on :

hey guys,
I wanted to know if egyptians were fond of kibbeh and akowi? B/c i love them both . I cant find a pic of akowi, but its this white cheese that goes on top of bread, like a pie.

-

Posted by sheba76 (Member # 12165) on :

I wonder that too. A turkish friend gave me the recipe for kibbeh. Grossed me out until she said, you can cook it too. lol

The akowi, is that like cream cheese?

yeah! the first time i had kibbeh was at a turkish restaurant (they called it something else) and then i spotted it in a lebanese restuarant and i hit it up whenever i go to an arabic restaurant (actually i havent in a long time, apparently its a fat-attack). [Frown]

noooo, its like, the most magical cheese in the world. Like- something like mozarella, but when its heated, it stays soft and chewy longer.

hmmm that sounds good.

This it?

Akawi cheese: an unsalted cheese made of sheep’s milk, similar to fresh mozarella, used to make savory pies.

http://www.commercefoods.com/commercefoods.com/revrigerated.htm

yeeeeeeeeah

Posted by QueenBee (Member # 9378) on :

there is another great cheese called arish, that is usually left outside to age in a ball and then kept in a jar of olive oil. Then they roll it in phyllo like a little spring roll and cook it. I think its called rakaka or something.
This is popular in Syria and Lebanon, but I don't know about Turkey or, for that matter, Egypt. Egypt, no, I think not.
I love kibbe. Cooked.

Arish.......this reminded me of my friends kid. His name is Arash. Beautiful name. But the others made fun of him. Called him a rash.

Hadn't thought of that in a while. Intersting how off topics can remind of things. LOL

was he persian?

theres this dorky persian singer named arash- he has a really good song though.

Yes he is. His father is Persian, and mother Mexican. Our kids went to school together. his father is my dentist. Gives me 50% discount. [Smile] But most of the time I'll get 3 like 3 things done, and pay 50% for the cheapest. LOL It is near impossible to pay ME peoples for things. Even when you owe them. LOL

I think they said it was a hero from poem or something. I like it. Really a pretty name. Especially when it's said in native tongue. Really a pretty sound.

That's where I learned to make Baathm juun and theat rice with dill, limas, and tachini. Don't know the name. lol

Posted by Laura (Member # 879) on :

Akawi cheese is great!

My husband makes the best konafa with it. He slices it thin, then soaks it in water to remove the saltiness.

Instead of a cream filling in the konafa, he uses the cheese. YUMMY!

konafa ::Drool::

theres this bakery in Queens, called Lazeeza- and they have the CRAZIEST konafa in the world. When I was leaving Ny- i went and i ordered two gigantic trays of it, ended up costing 65 bucks, and the guy thought i was nuts [Smile] but i was taking it as a gift for my khalas since it was eid.

Ok call me an idiot but I'm confused. lol

Lazeeza reminds me of lazeez but a girl. [Embarrassed] What does Lazeeza mean? [Confused]

Khalas reminds me of khalos, khalas, ???...... like enough! So what does it mean here? [Embarrassed] [Confused] Possibly uncle?

Sorry, but well....I am learning. hehehe

ahaha, thats awesome.

please dont read my posts and interpret them as correct arabic- i dont know what im talking about.

Lazeez means delicious, so i dont know why they stick a tarmaboota at the end and make it lazeeza. either way- it means delicious (Actually its ladheedha, but oh well)

and khalas - im mixing arabic and english. Khala (aunty) + = aunties . [Smile]

khala is urdu too.

actually, so is lazeez.

hehehe
got it now. [Wink]

But I'm really having a hard time with associating our Lazeez as delicious. [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

LOL

Posted by vwwvv (Member # 18359) on :

Posted by vwwvv (Member # 18359) on :

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com