This is topic hot butter sponge cake in forum Eat like an Egyptian at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000337

Posted by mok-mok (Member # 11209) on :

here you go smuckie

4 eggs
2 cups of flour
2 tso. of baking powder
1 cup of milk
1 tspof vanilla
1/4 lb of butter.
put milk and butter over a slow fire until the butter melts then mix all the ingred together
bake at 350 until done about 25 mins. it is a layer cake only

minute fudge icing
combine 1 ounce of choc.finely chopped
1 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of milk
1/4tea.of salt
1/4cup shortening (crisco)

bring to a boil stirring constantly boil gently 1 min. beat until lukewarm add the vanilla . beat till thick enough to spread
make sure the cake is cool first

Posted by With a name like Smuckers (Member # 10289) on :

This is the one you made for your mom? [Smile]

yes i am missing one ingred on the icing but she is asleep i will get it when she wakes up [Big Grin]
try it ir is the easiest cake ever

quote:
Originally posted by mok-mok:
yes i am missing one ingred on the icing but she is asleep i will get it when she wakes up [Big Grin]
try it ir is the easiest cake ever

well if you made it for your mother that time and she likes it it's good enough for me. [Smile]

it is a must for our family parties. my brothers just love it

Posted by Shebah (Member # 12165) on :

What kind of chocolate mok mok?

herseys blocks or any good choc that come in block form so you can shave it ot you can just melt it .baking choc unsweetned and the ingred. i was missing for the icing was 1/4 cup of shortening. got that smucks

[Wink]

Posted by Sobriquet (Member # 13217) on :

The ingredients are great and i am definitely going to try our resident executive chef's recipe.

The first thing i do is.. look at ingredients and then complexity and this sounds doable.

My question is what do you do with this mixture? What kind of pot do you put it in?

Posted by jean_bean (Member # 13715) on :

this sound great....gonna invite myself to Smucks house for Gyros, then off to mok's for dessert.

Posted by Gail (Member # 6886) on :

Mok ~ Does it matter what size cake pans (8" or 9")? This sounds delicious!

quote:
Originally posted by Gail:
Mok ~ Does it matter what size cake pans (8" or 9")? This sounds delicious!

Thank you for pointing the way for this cake ignoramus ..... this will be my first cake

yes ... i am a cake virgin [Big Grin]

posted July 25, 2007 08:34 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 6595 | From: American living in Egypt | Registered: Feb 2006 | IP: Logged |

Sobriquet
Member # 13217

Rate Member posted July 25, 2007 11:06 AM
The ingredients are great and i am definitely going to try our resident executive chef's recipe.

The first thing i do is.. look at ingredients and then complexity and this sounds doable.

My question is what do you do with this mixture? What kind of pot do you put it in?

ok funny man just melt butter and mik in the little pan on the stove just until the butter melts then put all the other ingred in and stir. thenyou put it in a 9by12" pan and bake let it cool then put the icing on it. got me [Big Grin] [Confused] it is so easy . rwll me if you make it i want to know if you like it

quote:
posted July 25, 2007 08:34 AM

Posts: 6595 | From: American living in Egypt | Registered: Feb 2006 | IP: Logged |

Sobriquet
Member # 13217

Rate Member posted July 25, 2007 11:06 AM

ok funny man just melt butter and mik in the little pan on the stove just until the butter melts then put all the other ingred in and stir. thenyou put it in a 9by12" pan and bake let it cool then put the icing on it. got me [Big Grin] [Confused] it is so easy . rwll me if you make it i want to know if you like it

Ms. Executive chef mok-mok, expect some pics of the butter sponge cake along with my personal analysis. [Smile]

And thanks for the details , keep in mind you have guys here too, we need exact measurements and what kind of pots and pans to use [Big Grin]

its a cake pan ( square) 9 by 12inches and dont worry you dont have to spray the pan it has enough butter in it [Smile]

quote:
its a cake pan ( square) 9 by 12inches and dont worry you dont have to spray the pan it has enough butter in it [Smile]

Ok i think i have the pan it's a tefal (supposed to be the best) i think it's 9x12 ... what about the depth is it good?

Is this pan doable?
 - doable?

hey Mok...got a really stupid question here.
Ain't been able to put my hands on any Crisco here, so have been substituting Semna in some recipes.
whatcha think?

quote:
Originally posted by jean_bean:
hey Mok...got a really stupid question here.
Ain't been able to put my hands on any Crisco here, so have been substituting Semna in some recipes.
whatcha think?

Excellent question because i also don't want to buy
imported FAT

perfect pan there dude. the shortening is like lard you have to have it. there are all kinds i have never heard of Semna but if its lard or shortening thats fine

Ok i would like to use my limited expertise [Big Grin] Totally joking because i am new to cooking (only like 3 years and never made cakes or deserts for that matter)

Anyway this is for Jean-Bean. Crisco as i'm sure you know has a negative taste, it tastes like nothing but Crisco.

Egyptian semna has a distinct taste and probably suitable for cooking than pastries and cake. What do you think?

What do Egyptians think? What is an alternative for Crisco.

Semna is just soooooo different (scent wise)

Semna
Ghee. The authentic semna is prepared from real buffalo milk, cooked down and skimmed until the impurities are out. Newer products are vegetable-oil based.
i dont think that will work but i am not really sure

Posted by Gail (Member # 6886) on :

Good luck with the cake, Sobriquet!

Posted by tina kamal (Member # 13845) on :

they dont have crisco in egypt???

they have something similar

Posted by tina kamal (Member # 13845) on :

come bake me one plz it sounds so good

quote:
perfect pan there dude. the shortening is like lard you have to have it. there are all kinds i have never heard of Semna but if its lard or shortening thats fine

dude ?
[Confused]

I have never found Crisco here....what would be similar, Mok?
and I only substitutued Semna in 2 recipes. One I can't think of right now (brain dead) and the other is for making biscuits - the kind that come with the meal ya get from KFC in the states.
and they come out great.
And I use Semna when the recipe says to grease and flour the pan.

you can try it let me know if it works

anyone try it? Sobriquet ? jean-bean? smucks? [Smile]

Ok, so the recipe is :

4 eggs
2 cups of flour
2 tso. of baking powder
1 cup of milk
1 tspof vanilla
1/4 lb of butter.
put milk and butter over a slow fire until the butter melts then mix all the ingred together
bake at 350 until done about 25 mins. it is a layer cake only

minute fudge icing
combine 1 ounce of choc.finely chopped
1/4 cup of shortening
1 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of milk
1/4tea.of salt
1/4cup shortening (crisco)

bring to a boil stirring constantly boil gently 1 min. beat until lukewarm add the vanilla . beat till thick enough to spread
make sure the cake is cool first

I will try this over the next couple of days and report back. Sounds great, I'll only eat one piece and give the rest away, sounds fattening! [Wink]

not yet...but will soon.
promise,and will let ya know.

Sobriquet. did you try it yet? i am waiting to hereand see those pictures [Wink]

found another recipe for the frosting that doesn't need crisco...
Frosting:
8 ounces (225 grams) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup (25 grams) cocoa powder (can use Dutch-processed or regular unsweetened cocoa powder)
3/4 cup (180 ml) milk
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3 cups (345 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted to remove lumps
1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Frosting: In a stainless steel bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, place the chopped chocolate, cocoa powder, milk, and butter. Stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and beat in, with a hand mixer or wire whisk, the confectioners sugar and vanilla extract. If the frosting is lumpy, strain through a strainer to remove any lumps. Cover and place the frosting in the refrigerator until it is firm (this may take a few hours). Once the frosting is firm remove from refrigerator and place in your mixing bowl. Beat the frosting for a minute or two or until it is nice and smooth and of spreading consistency

you changed my recipe? [Frown] thats ok . i dont think it will taste the same cause it sounds like a real icing . this one i was talking about is like a glaze that hardens up. but i am willing to try yours jb thanks for the recipe

Today is the big day mok-mok [Big Grin]

I’ll go shortly to the supermarket and buy Crisco, Hershey bar and whatever else I might need.

I am excited but I feel a little bit nervous. Ahahahahaah

This will be my first cake, ever. I cooked southern fried chicken yesterday and it came out great (ScooterSMcGee recipe from YouTube). So I have no qualms with meats, seafood and poultry.

Cakes and pastries and anything that involves dough is downright intimidating.

Gail … Thank You [Smile]

hey make sure you use unsweetened choc. NOT HERSEYS
its baking choc you want. maybe Hersey's makes unsweetened. but it comes in blocks. not a candy bar [Big Grin] [Big Grin] good luck i know you'll do just fine . i am so excited you are going to do this. and ps. there is no dough involved [Big Grin] [Smile]

quote:
hey make sure you use unsweetened choc. NOT HERSEYS
its baking choc you want. maybe Hersey's makes unsweetened. but it comes in blocks. not a candy bar [Big Grin] [Big Grin] good luck i know you'll do just fine . i am so excited you are going to do this. and ps. there is no dough involved [Big Grin] [Smile]

[Big Grin] You read my mind because i just PM you about the Hershey chocolate.

The pics will detail my work [Big Grin]

Thanks again for this recipe mok-mok, you make this board more fun [Smile]

I hope to make this tomorrow so let us know how it turns out SOB. [Smile]

awwwwwwww thanks that was so sweet of you. good luck and i want to see pictures. it wont take long either very easy to make. but i will tell you one more time let the cake cool completey before you add the icing [Smile] [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:

you know originally i wanted to make your gyro recipe with mok-mok's cake but

you not my fren no more

**sniff** ... **sniff**

[Razz]

smucks gyro was awesome [Razz] you should try it

quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
quote:

you know originally i wanted to make your gyro recipe with mok-mok's cake but

you not my fren no more

**sniff** ... **sniff**

[Razz]

doesn't matter, it's only a message board, friends isn't necessary. Thankfully we can all still be cordial with each other. [Razz]

Posted by Undercover (Member # 12979) on :

-

????????????????????? what is this undercover

Posted by desertgirl (Member # 12450) on :

i think he / she wanted to post a pic of the cake he / she made but that it loooked sooooo delicious that it was forbidden [Wink]

no he hasnt made it yet [Big Grin]

ohhhhhhh I want to see a picture of the cake! [Smile] At least I'll know when I make mine if it comes out 'normal'. [Smile]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] yours will be just fine

The only cake pan I have the size recommended is glass, do you think that is ok? I think I heard once if the pan is glass you have to either cook it like 10 minutes more or less. [Confused]

you will have to cook it less just test it after 15 mins with a knife if it comes out clean it is done . remember 350o and it will be fine if you smell it for the first time while cooking that means it is almost done and to check it. good luck smucks

Great, thanks MM [Big Grin]

Ok, I bought all the ingredients and I will be ready shortly. I am however very slow in the kitchen. I also have kangaroo kool-aid with me and I plan to listen to Arabic and English music so i plan to enjoy making mok-mok’s cake and a spinach pizza inclusive of frozen spinach, ricotta(i found local) and mozzarella cheese. I need hoodooo (tranquility) in order to make everything right. [Smile]

First things first, I will treat my wife to a beauty salon for a hair cut and styling, that way I will have no distractions while I’m in the kitchen [Big Grin]

P.S I found Mazola vegetable and butter Ghee and it was cheaper than Crisco but I didn’t want to take any chances. So if it is the same, someone please let me know.

-

DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

i forgot to buy the butter!!!!
[Mad]
[Mad]
[Mad]

awwwww I hate that. Can't you go to a nearby Souq and get some good yellow butter?

quote:
awwwww I hate that. Can't you go to a nearby Souq and get some good yellow butter?

Sheeesssh how could I forget the butter and it’s a ‘butter sponge cake’. It’s so hot outside too. My nearest neighborhood store is like 3 blocks away on a hill and the only people who buy from them are the bawabs and basic stuff like bread and soda.

Oh well good exercise.

I feel so dumb. I was just at safeway supermarket and they have everything. If the shop doesn’t have butter, I’ll take a taxi back to safeway.

I wanted everything to be perfect.

Damn

I feel dumb

The only good that might come out of this is - more kangaroo kool-aid from next to safeway [Big Grin]

OMG I CANT BELIEVE YOU GOT THE CRISCO GREAT . SO GO GET THE BUTTER AND GREAT PICTURE
WHAT IS KANGAROO KOOL-AID?

I DONT SEE THE MILK EITHER

Ok great news. Butter will be here shortly my wife just called and said “bad news the salon only has men who cut the hair”.

[Big Grin]

She asked if I needed anything and I emphatically answered ‘yes!!! I need butter’

[Big Grin]

Alhamdu-Lillah

Those salon people are sick because we saw their sign many times, passing by them and it clearly stated ‘for women only” and they even had ‘lil mahgabat’ too written in Arabic.

That’s like false advertising!

Anyway we have more important things going on here [Big Grin]

quote:
OMG I CANT BELIEVE YOU GOT THE CRISCO GREAT . SO GO GET THE BUTTER AND GREAT PICTURE
WHAT IS KANGAROO KOOL-AID?

I DONT SEE THE MILK EITHER

Pardon, i skipped your post. The milk is there it's the white container "hamouda" written in Arabic. It's fresh milk.

Kangaroo kool-aid is Australia’s famous Foster's [Big Grin]

I LOVE FOSTERS . I HAVE A MALE HAIRDRESSER THEY ARE GREAT THE BEST . WHEN SHE COMES HOME WITH THE BUTTER TELL HER TO GO BACK SHE WILL LOVE IT [Big Grin]

Things are going nice and slow , This is the ‘finely chopped chocolate’ [Big Grin]

I used an axe because I placed the chocolate in the freezer before chopping it.

Insha allah the butter is on it’s way as we speak. Women … you know how they take their time [Big Grin] Ahahahahaha … I shouldn’t talk because the past hour or so I was only shaking my ass to Offspring drinking kangaroo kool-aid [Big Grin]

I have more chocolate, so if this is not enough or if i chopped it wrongly, now is the time to speak [Big Grin]

-

no Mok...I didn't change your recipe.
I was just trying to be helpful to people in my shoes that don't have access to Crisco.

it looks good use what the direction say how much choc you need it calls for 1 ounce but more is better i say it wont hurt i guess
and jean-bean i know that ok i dont mind i was only kidding you . if you can find a great sub . please by all means do tell [Wink]

Ok i'm going to get busy now. The butter is here.

jean-bean, Metro market(s) sells Crisco the large one goes for 50 L.E Something, for the 2 kg size container (not sure of exact size)

is the cake in the oven yet?

teaspoon measurements are leveled and not heaped like spices ... right!

how long should i mix it for manually or should i use a mixer?

and by 'layer cake' it layers itself right? [Big Grin]

Seriously do i have to do something different than simply putting the mix in the pan?

it is just 1 layer just put all the mixture in 1 pan and just mix it till its all incorporated and measured teaspoon is right . you are doing fine relax . oh by the way i saw your laptop near the choc [Big Grin]

quote:
it is just 1 layer just put all the mixture in 1 pan and just mix it till its all incorporated and measured teaspoon is right . you are doing fine relax . oh by the way i saw your laptop near the choc [Big Grin]

WhoBoy! this i definitely new territory, Ok i am ready to put it in the oven. i just want to be sure of something ... crisco is not part of this mix!

Just for the icing!

correct
i will walk you thru making the icing though

quote:
correct
i will walk you thru making the icing though

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

The tefal pan is too big, the mix is too thin, i will take it out of the hug pan(16x12) and put it in the (8x12) aluminum pan

What do you think

Should i grease the other pan?!! It's not a non-stick pan

put all the ingred. in a pan then stick it on the stovetop on med stir till it come to a boil then stir some more for 1 minute. after this take it off the stove and add your vanilla then cool it down, you have to consistently beat it till it becomes thick . put you pan in some cold water or icecubes to cool it down. (MAKE SURE THE WATER OR ICECUBES DONT GET INTO THE MIXTURE dont make the icing till the cake is cooled down because the icing will get too thick, you will want to be able to pour over your cake with ease [Big Grin]

yes spray this pan or butter it if you dont have spray and then flour it slightly all over ( just put a little flour in the pan and bang it around till all the flour is all over the sides and bottom of the pan)

this is worst then having a baby [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] it will be fine

I 'made' the strawberries with chocolate ...
(recipe of Undercover)
Seemed sooooo much easier than the hot butter sponge cake [Wink] [Wink] but if I had known there was 'online support' all time ... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I might have tried.
Anyway ; Enjoy !!

quote:
yes spray this pan or butter it if you dont have spray and then flour it slightly all over ( just put a little flour in the pan and bang it around till all the flour is all over the sides and bottom of the pan)

this is worst then having a baby [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] it will be fine

I have butter so i will do that! So butter and no flour.

Next time the hell with kangaroo kool-aid, it will be russian kool-aid [Big Grin] the absolut variety [Big Grin]

noooooooooooooooooooooooo butter the pan then put some flour in just to dust it.read above what i wrote you. i am having a grey goose shot now i am a nervous wreck [Eek!] [Big Grin]

dont you have im some where yahoo or msn? waiting to reply to you is crazy here

It's in the oven and i took pics along the way [Big Grin]

Just one question the mix is supposed to be elastic, right?

[Big Grin]

i need to relax now [Big Grin]

Thanks a million for guiding me through this Mok-Mok [Smile]

How would i know if it's done? Say when i look at it from time to time? I preheated the oven and it's been in there about 1 or 2 minutes so far

Just one question the mix is supposed to be elastic, right? huh? anyway check it in 20 mins when you put a sharp knife in it and the knife comes out clean youll know it is done

quote:
noooooooooooooooooooooooo butter the pan then put some flour in just to dust it.read above what i wrote you. i am having a grey goose shot now i am a nervous wreck [Eek!] [Big Grin]

dont you have im some where yahoo or msn? waiting to reply to you is crazy here

i am using my laptop in the kitchen and i don't have any chatting programs on it. my pc in the other room does.

everything is fine though [Smile]

you know alchemist mentioned it in another post and well ... i feel happy ... like it will turn out right [Smile]

how could it go wrong with our executive chef guiding me step by step [Smile]

awwwwww shucks thanks. check the cake [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] i smell it

quote:
awwwwww shucks thanks. check the cake [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] i smell it

A few bubbles are forming! That means it's working right. I learned that from making enchiladas (tortillas) [Big Grin]

yes but you are making a cake and you are on your way yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;)does it smell good?

quote:
yes but you are making a cake and you are on your way yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh [Wink]

20 minutes are almost up but maybe it needs more time, what color is it supposed to change to?

how high should it rise?

It smells real good , but the color is basically the same and and it is not rising that much!!

I took it out the oven ... the knife went right through and dry

now cool it completely before you make your icing. and go through the steps i told you about the icing. good job there mate [Smile]

quote:
now cool it completely before you make your icing. and go through the steps i told you about the icing. good job there mate [Smile]

i took it out the oven and it is very spongy ... but it is more not exactly 'light brown' so 5 more minutes [Big Grin]

and it is very spongy. its called a butter sponge cake silly. take a picture and let me see. but i know its done because the knife was clean. good job . no worries now until you start the icing [Eek!] [Razz]

Posted by Alchemist (Member # 12318) on :

Good Job Sobriquet! Now give me a piece. [Big Grin]

quote:
and it is very spongy. its called a butter sponge cake silly. take a picture and let me see. but i know its done because the knife was clean. good job . no worries now until you start the icing [Eek!] [Razz]

You know before I display the pic, I just want you to know that, I am not really good at non-meat/pasta/pizza recipes.

It’s also my first cake, so don’t feel bad for me. And don’t feel bad at all … everything is fine but it didn’t turn a light brown.

I have a cheap oven, when we moved here we were desperate to acquire several basics and we bought a cheap oven. Maybe it’s the oven’s fault [Big Grin]

I’ll post the pic now while it is cooling. It is spongy though and it almost an inch thick in the middle.

Don't talk soooo much [Wink] [Wink]
Show us the pic !!!!!

i am very proud of you bravo for trying this now you'll know how to do again if you like it and with out my help [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

quote:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

[Smile] Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

I need another kangaroo kool-aid, i am so relieved [Big Grin] ... notice the edge that is my nibble. [Smile]

whoBOYYY!

ahhhhhhhhhhh it doesnt look right but i think it could be the baking powder read the experation date maybe thats why it didnt rise. does it taste like cake or dough?

quote:
ahhhhhhhhhhh it doesnt look right but i think it could be the baking powder read the experation date maybe thats why it didnt rise. does it taste like cake or dough?

It tastes like bread/cake/spongy but not like dough. Spongy texture that's for sure ... nothing like your typical fluffy cake

it tastes good [Smile] need sugar though imho [Big Grin]

i didn't use the baking powder i bought today, i used one that was open in the cabinet and it doesn't have an expiration date or production date.

that means that the baking powder expired. you need fresh baking powder always in baking . ok mister start over again [Big Grin] [Big Grin] . is it cool yet ? lets see if the icing comes out

quote:
that means that the baking powder expired. you need fresh baking powder always in baking . ok mister start over again [Big Grin] [Big Grin] . is it cool yet ? lets see if the icing comes out

What do you mean start over! [Big Grin] khalas enough for one day ... ya gameel [Smile]

i took another pic and if you think it is worth making an icing for ... then i will make an icing.

[Smile]

So what do you think?

here's the pic:

-

Posted by LovedOne (Member # 10222) on :

You can't have cake without icing. Get to it!!
[Smile]

get on it yes it is worth it and quit eating it [Big Grin] its not to sweet till you put the icing on it then tell me its not sweet enough.soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo go make the icing cant wait for this one youll love the best part. and yes it is the right color

Member # 11209
put all the ingred. in a pan ( NOT THE VANILLA)then stick it on the stovetop on med stir till it come to a boil then stir some more for 1 minute. after this take it off the stove and add your vanilla then cool it down, you have to consistently beat it till it becomes thick . put you pan in some cold water or icecubes to cool it down. (MAKE SURE THE WATER OR ICECUBES DONT GET INTO THE MIXTURE dont make the icing till the cake is cooled down because the icing will get too thick, you will want to be able to pour over your cake with ease

quote:
get on it yes it is worth it and quit eating it [Big Grin] its not to sweet till you put the icing on it then tell me its not sweet enough.soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo go make the icing cant wait for this one youll love the best part. and yes it is the right color

I’ll get to it [Big Grin]

I just think we all need a little break right now [Big Grin] 10 or 15 minutes out of the kitchen [Big Grin]

[Smile]

ok well i am very proud of you . [Smile]

You know what ladies?! I am going to make this cake again with a valid baking powder. [Smile]

Mok-Mok when out of her way to take me step by step on this and i can not give up. I will not go out like that. Not in front of Mok-Mok that's for sure.

Expect another cake

and more pics

[Smile]

See you in an hour or so

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thats great go for it . i will be waiting . i give you a 10 for your effort.and for being a real man about it. i dont see other men even attempting to bake or cook . your wife is a lucky woman . my husband tries with me but not by himself only breakfast. what a guy [Wink] [Smile] [Smile]

i want a picture of you holding the cake will that be possible?

quote:
i want a picture of you holding the cake will that be possible?

Cute [Smile] I will say this Mr.Cake is rising [Big Grin]

I am treating this cake with the utmost respect. Baking cakes is not easy and from this day forward and i am dead serious, every cake i bake will be known as Mr.Cake [Big Grin] ...shay-abnee

Let me go check on Mr.Cake [Big Grin]

did you make another one?

Also not a good idea to bounce around or make alot of movement in kitchen while the cake is baking. From what I always remember hearing, that can make the cake fall.
Maybe that was only for a specific type? Anyone else hear this?

that is very true loved one, but you need fresh baking powder every time [Smile] you bake it will rise perfectly

quote:
did you make another one?

Yes [Smile] And it is better than the first one:)

I used a valid baking powder and i mixed the hell out of it ... [Big Grin]

It's cooling now.

-

quote:
Originally posted by LovedOne:
Also not a good idea to bounce around or make alot of movement in kitchen while the cake is baking. From what I always remember hearing, that can make the cake fall.
Maybe that was only for a specific type? Anyone else hear this?

[Embarrassed]

I was blasting music, dancing, talking out loud to Mr.Cake and everything [Big Grin]

I think talking to your cake is okay. Maybe like talking to plants. [Smile]

Insha'allah this one won't be as flat but I bet either way they both taste good.

i am sooooooooooooooooo tired Mok-Mok. I don't know where you get the energy from. Baking takes a lot out of a person. [Big Grin]

So what do you think?

-

they is so much better bravo now make the icing and stick the skinnier cake on top of this one and you'll have a layer cake [Big Grin] again i am so proud of my student great job [Wink]

Posted by newcomer (Member # 1056) on :

Hey, you've got the same marble in your kitchen as mine [Big Grin]

quote:
they is so much better bravo now make the icing and stick the skinnier cake on top of this one and you'll have a layer cake [Big Grin] again i am so proud of my student great job [Wink]

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you ... Master [Big Grin]

I'll make the icing now even though i am exhausted [Big Grin] ... The first one came out a little too rubbery because i guess it didn't rise and so I'll just put icing on this one.

What do you think or should i make another layer tomorrow and add it to this one?

What do you think?

no this one is fine its suppose to be just one layer . i was just kidding you . follow my words on this one

put all the ingred. in a pan ( NOT THE VANILLA)then stick it on the stovetop on med stir till it come to a boil then stir some more for 1 minute. after this take it off the stove and add your vanilla then cool it down, you have to consistently beat it till it becomes thick . put you pan in some cold water or icecubes to cool it down. (MAKE SURE THE WATER OR ICECUBES DONT GET INTO THE MIXTURE dont make the icing till the cake is cooled down because the icing will get too thick, you will want to be able to pour over your cake with ease

quote:
no this one is fine its suppose to be just one layer . i was just kidding you . follow my words on this one

How much vanilla should i use, i noticed it's not state in the ingredients for the icing.

quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:

hey you ... i didn't expect to see you here [Smile] there is nothing like marble especially when a table or cutting board is not available [Embarrassed]

I think we will all breathe a sigh of relief when this is done.

I'm sure it's keeping Newcomer up! The poor woman needs her sleep already!
lol

Actually I see it's still hot and also humid now that it's night. The weather has been horrid there recently.
I can't imagine sleeping in that without a/c.

1 teaspoon.

quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:

hey you ... i didn't expect to see you here [Smile] there is nothing like marble especially when a table or cutting board is not available [Embarrassed]
Everything in good time...but marble is great because its so cold, especially in this heat!

I was following your progress with intrigue. I can't remember the last time I baked a cake, I'm not a big kitchen person... as my absence from this forum bears witness, although I do peak in every now and again...so I'm not sure that I would be brave enough to let my next effort be in front of an audience on the www [Big Grin]

Enjoy the fruits of your labours!

quote:
Originally posted by LovedOne:
I think we will all breathe a sigh of relief when this is done.

I'm sure it's keeping Newcomer up! The poor woman needs her sleep already!
lol

Actually I see it's still hot and also humid now that it's night. The weather has been horrid there recently.
I can't imagine sleeping in that without a/c.

Yep, its is very hot and sticky here now, but I can't go to sleep until I see the icing on the cake now [Wink]

The icing is SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!! OMG!!!

Mok-Mok should i cut the cake in half and layer it and put the icing on it? Or just one layer?

JUST 1 LAYER LET THEM SEE LET ME SEE [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I TOLD YOU IT WAS GOOD [Razz]

Mok-Mok your recipe got the WOW after the first bite ... thank you [Smile]

-

I didn't have anything to put it on so i placed it on the vegetable cutting board [Smile]

-

THATS LOOKS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD enjoy it. better on your hips then mine
wonderful. its perfect. now go to sleep you deserve it [Embarrassed] [Smile] [Smile]

quote:
THATS LOOKS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD enjoy it. better on your hips then mine
wonderful. its perfect. now go to sleep you deserve it [Embarrassed] [Smile] [Smile]

All smiles today mok-mok [Smile] A wonderful ending to a beautiful day.

I'm happy you didn't give up on me.

Sweet dreams [Smile]

nite!!!! job well done [Wink] great day thanks

looks great [Smile]

Posted by Alchemist (Member # 12318) on :

Now I want cake. [Frown]

thanks Sobriquet for the tip on the Crisco.

and the cake looks okay to me
what fun...baking by computer !

you guys are great

thanks jean-bean we had so much fun. it was a nice and friendly day on es [Wink]

Yesterday was a blast. [Smile] And definitely a learning experience for me as mok-mok taught me so much like:

1 – How to actually make a cake mix from scratch.
2- How to tell when the mix is done (stick knife inside)
3 – How to make a pan non-stick (I was amazed)
4 – The importance of baking powder
5 – How to make the best icing in the world [Big Grin] and especially from scratch, this translates to no more Duncan Hines chemical filled icing [Big Grin]

Yes it was a very fun day [Wink] - I just had another slice of this delicious cake with a glass of milk [Razz]

My smile carried over to today [Smile]

did you ever make your pizza? [Big Grin]

quote:
did you ever make your pizza? [Big Grin]

No, but I improvised [Big Grin]

I sliced a couple of wheat pita breads in half, and I used each thin side of the pita bread and spread them on a pan. I sprinkled ricotta cheese all over the pita breads, then added some sausages I had boiling in water on top of the pita breads and ricotta. Then I sprinkled mozzarella cheese on top of that and I baked in the oven for several minutes until the cheese melted.

When done I garnished with ketchup, mustard and hot sauce [Big Grin]

P.S I also sprinkled with salt

it all sounded good till i heard what you garnished with. but to each his own [Big Grin]

quote:

it all sounded good till i heard what you garnished with. but to each his own [Big Grin]

Your cake and your icing had my complete attention [Wink]

I'm going to take a day or two off from the kitchen, i feel victorious ... [Embarrassed]

good guy you deserve it.

one of these days I gotta try my hand at making my own pizza dough.
Have done pasta and all things Italian, but not pizza......YET !

that is the only thing i haven't tried either . i go to my local pizza shop and ask to buy their dough..but i hear it is very easy , but i hate waiting for dough to rise then you have to punch it down and let it proof again. try it and let me know ok [Smile] don't tell sob. i don't make my own. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] i guess i am just lazy at this [Embarrassed]

Ok, I'm making the cake (god willing if the baby allows) today. [Smile] I won't be able to take a picture of it but I'll let you know how it comes out. [Smile]

What happened Smuckers, were you able to make the cake?

Yes it came out nicely very tasty and rich...we should be eating it for the next couple of days. I highly recommend the recipe. [Smile]

glad you tryed it , and liked it. its is one of my favorites and it was so simple huh [Confused] [Wink]

quote:
that is the only thing i haven't tried either . i go to my local pizza shop and ask to buy their dough..but i hear it is very easy , but i hate waiting for dough to rise then you have to punch it down and let it proof again. try it and let me know ok [Smile] don't tell sob. i don't make my own. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] i guess i am just lazy at this [Embarrassed]

That’s actually a smart idea buying the dough from pizzerias. I researched this matter before and I was very determined to find the perfect recipe for a New York Style Pizza. Basically the crust is something special and you see a NY pizza crust is one that is crispy on the outside (bottom). This is achieved by using unpolished ceramic tiles, when I was in Egypt I managed to find such tiles (in Basateen). Anyway this is a crucial element to making a great NY Pizza and if you guys want to know what I am talking about (for those who are unfamiliar with NY Pizza) think Sbarros but with a better crust (if you can imagine that).

So we must tackle not only the dough but the way to achieve a perfect crust. Also is the matter of tomatoes (I think this might be easy, previously I was ignorant of the fact that one could make canned tomatoes using a home method)

We could do it. Mok-Mok, Jean-bean and I could DO THIS!!! Perfect Pizza [Big Grin] … I’m not ready just yet but once you guys are determined … let me know [Smile] Let’s just take this nice and slow. No rush at all [Smile] What do you ladies think, I love pizza and I want to make my very own from scratch.

Dough incl.Crust
Tomatoes (sauce)
Spices
Cheese

Doable

very doable.i am willing since you tryed my cake .ill have to wait till friday (when i am off). but we can put any toppings on it we want right? i love a cheese burger pissa or a cheese steak pizza with sweet peppers and mushrooms. sounds weird i know but hey , i am a south phila girl [Wink]

here ya go sob and jean bean [Razz]
INGREDIENTS:
1 envelope active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/2 teaspoon sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
PREPARATION:
Put warm water in a cup; sprinkle yeast over water and stir in sugar. Let yeast stand for about 10 minutes, or until it begins to bubble.
Sift flour and salt into a large bowl; pour in yeast mixture and beat until a stiff dough is formed. Turn dough out onto a floured surface; knead about 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Add extra flour as necessary to keep from sticking to hands and board.

Place in a large bowl greased with shortening; turn dough over to coat the other side with shortening. Cover with towel; let rise in a warm place, away from drafts, for about 30 minutes. Dough will be double in bulk. Punch dough down and divide in half. Grease two 14-inch pizza pans and grease hands lightly. Place half the dough in each pan and stretch to fit bottom and up sides of pan. Keep dough slightly thick around the edges. Fill with favorite filling and toppings and bake according to pizza recipe directions, or about 15 to 20 minutes at 425°.

quote:
here ya go sob and jean bean [Razz]
INGREDIENTS:
1 envelope active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/2 teaspoon sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
PREPARATION:
Put warm water in a cup; sprinkle yeast over water and stir in sugar. Let yeast stand for about 10 minutes, or until it begins to bubble.
Sift flour and salt into a large bowl; pour in yeast mixture and beat until a stiff dough is formed. Turn dough out onto a floured surface; knead about 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Add extra flour as necessary to keep from sticking to hands and board.

Place in a large bowl greased with shortening; turn dough over to coat the other side with shortening. Cover with towel; let rise in a warm place, away from drafts, for about 30 minutes. Dough will be double in bulk. Punch dough down and divide in half. Grease two 14-inch pizza pans and grease hands lightly. Place half the dough in each pan and stretch to fit bottom and up sides of pan. Keep dough slightly thick around the edges. Fill with favorite filling and toppings and bake according to pizza recipe directions, or about 15 to 20 minutes at 425°.

Obviously you don’t read you PM because if you did I clearly emphasized ‘it is okay to hesitate’ [Razz]

Okay i'm in [Big Grin]

Where is Jean-Bean? She started all of this [Big Grin]

--Pizza Sauce Recipes

Ingredients:
1 1/2 onion, minced
3 or more cloves garlic, finely minced
6 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil (more if needed)
3 cans tomato sauce (16 oz.)
3 cans tomato paste (6 oz.)
6 teaspoons sugar (optional) it takes out the bitterness of the tomato
3 teaspoons basil - dried
3 teaspoons oregano - dried
1 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Mince onion and garlic. Saute in olive oil until onion is clear and tender. Add rest of the ingredients to skillet and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Makes enough sauce for 2 pizzas. Also makes a nice sauce for breadsticks and calzones.

I feel the need to make some calzones coming up. [Smile]

quote:
I feel the need to make some calzones coming up. [Smile]

Do you have a recipe for that?

I have a couple, I'll post one in a new thread. [Smile]

you guys are determined to get me fatter than I already am....are you taking phone calls from my hubby...he keeps on force feeding me too..lol
anyways...its too darn hot to bake anything now.
These things should be tackled when it gets cooler.
okay...I am SUCH a baby, huh?

butI have been wanting to try my hand at making my own pizza for years now, and never have.
I like my pizza with anything on it, cept for anchovies, or pineapples...oh..and hate those "white pizzas". I think that pizza should have a tomato sauce on it, and lotsa lotsa mozzarella cheese, and all veggies, pepperoni, or ground beef is just fine with me.

and Smuck....CALZONES......OH MY God...I am coming to your house now for sure !
I will feed the baby, change diapers ANYTHING.
just feed me..lol

LOL comeon over Jean-Bean, whatever we eat, we walk it off later. [Wink]

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com