This is topic The Faces of North Africa in forum Deshret at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=002524

Posted by fawal (Member # 16388) on :

Since skimming through this forum, I've noticed that there are very few accurate representations of what we North Africans actually look like. Many of the "experts" here (to whom I'm almost 100% certain have never visited the region [Roll Eyes] ) keep recycling the same old tired and lame photographs of the most Negroid North Africans as though that is representative of what we really look like (all for propaganda purposes really). As such I've taken it upon myself to rectify this little matter, so that the lurkers on this site who actually care about the truth will not be led astray. And yes, I will be showcasing some of the "black" North Africans (namely the Imuhagh, Haratine, and Gnawa). Because unlike the regulars here, I'm not biased. They will however, be represented according to there actual presence amongst the lump sum of the North African population (there won't be any over representation of the "black" types as I've seen in previous threads). The countries I'm focusing mainly on are Morocco, Western Sahara, Algeria, Tunisia and Egypt; but if you all conduct yourselves in a polite and civil manner I may include Sudan, Chad, Niger and Mauritania into the fold (the northern parts of those last four however). So anyway, I hope you all enjoy. [Wink]

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Posted by Jari-Ankhamun (Member # 14451) on :

quote:
Originally posted by fawal:
Since skimming through this forum, I've noticed that there are very few accurate representations of what we North Africans actually look like. Many of the "experts" here (to whom I'm almost 100% certain have never visited the region [Roll Eyes] ) keep recycling the same old tired and lame photographs of the most Negroid North Africans as though that is representative of what we really look like (all for propaganda purposes really). As such I've taken it upon myself to rectify this little matter, so that the lurkers on this site who actually care about the truth will not be led astray. And yes, I will be showcasing some of the "black" North Africans (namely the Imuhagh, Haratine, and Gnawa). Because unlike the regulars here, I'm not biased. They will however, be represented according to there actual presence amongst the lump sum of the North African population (there won't be any over representation of the "black" types as I've seen in previous threads). The countries I'm focusing mainly on are Morocco, Western Sahara, Algeria, Tunisia and Egypt; but if you all conduct yourselves in a polite and civil manner I may include Sudan, Chad, Niger and Mauritania into the fold (the northern parts of those last four however). So anyway, I hope you all enjoy. [Wink]

Show us a thread that misrepresents the North African or tries to make all North fricans "Negroid" other than the North East African Thread which focusses on Egypt and East Africa.(does not even include on N.A country other than Egypt.) No sane Person on here denies that north African Berbers have a light/tawny appearance compared to southern populations but the common argument here is that Black populations exist in N.A as well, and many have so from time memmorial and predates any fables of Slave offsprings which come to thing of it...

"Over the course of four centuries, the Atlantic slave trade was much larger – about 10 to 12 million black Africans were brought to the Americas. But from 1500 to 1650, when trans-Atlantic slaving was still in its infancy, more white Christian slaves were probably taken to Barbary than black African slaves to the Americas, according to Davis"

You are not biased...SURE..LOL.

Posted by MindoverMatter718 (Member # 15400) on :

Lol, instead of addressing what needs to be addressed, this Fawal clown is now reduced to picture spamming. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

-

-

-

-

-

-

quote:
Originally posted by MindoverMatter718:
Lol, instead of addressing what needs to be addressed, this Fawal clown is now reduced to picture spamming. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

LOL Typical...this dude is on the same page as Afronut if not worse...reduced to racist sladers and childish rants when they can't win a debate. Hell I have even read this Arab **** claim he is not racist and not biased...LOL..Man oh Man...One Troll get beat down another pops up...you notice that Mind?? Its linke a never ending story of Troll foolishness..

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Posted by Bob_01 (Member # 15687) on :

You're being selective...

http://img.allposters.com/6/LRG/18/1847/OGG8D00Z.jpg

That woman is probably darker than me. Then again, I'm not African-American or Caribbean. I certainly am of African descent and you'll need to go to East Africa and see the populations around the region.

That girl is rather dark:

http://www.amoeba.com/dynamic-images/blog/Eric_B/berber-woman.jpg

I mean, you must originate from a very different America. However I've seen African-Americans who are much lighter.

These pictures are meaningless as it is recognized by Ah-Ahram:

quote:
Originally posted by Bob_01:
No. The vast majority aren't, especially since European traits are so common. Start citing actual sources, vs. pictures.

Your petty words mean nothing. We don't even know you, moron. How the hell can you be an authoritative source on anything?

I am not suggesting Al-Ahram is scholarly, but it's leaned towards your class. Regardless, the author points out the origin behind the color distribution within modern-day Egypt:

quote:

Upper class Egyptians, often fairer than their poorer compatriots, invariably look down on lower class Egyptians who tend to be darker in complexion. There is a subtle correlation between lower income and darker complexion. The Egyptian upper classes and elites tend to be noticeably lighter in complexion than their poorer and working class compatriots. "They labour in the sun," is sometimes the cynical explanation.

But, a more accurate explanation would be that Egypt has for thousands of years been ruled by foreign, and lighter-skinned, invaders -- Persians, Greeks, Romans, Arabs, Turks, the French and British. A large section of the pre-revolutionary Egyptian elite could trace their ancestry to Balkan, Caucasian and Turkish roots. Moreover, Napoleon Bonaparte's French expedition was notorious for sowing its seeds in places like the Delta city of Mansoura whose women are reputedly "exceptionally beautiful"; in Egyptian common parlance that means fair-skinned, with light-coloured eyes and hair. Link

Its even stressed:

quote:
The Egyptians see themselves as essentially sumr, or "dark". However, for all intents and purposes this is a most confusing and contentious term. If an individual is described as asmar, the masculine, or samra, the feminine, they could range in colour from the ****southern Sudanese ebony**** or indigo black, a west African chocolate or mahogany black, the various copper and honey-toned Ethiopian and Somali types, to the olive or off-white dark-haired Mediterranean or Middle Eastern-looking type.
This is hilarious, because that's clearly obvious on these lands. I don't know what part of North Africa you've traveled around, but Egypt is quite diverse.

No one here suggested that those people above are not descended from the Ancient Egyptians. Rather the ancients resembled darker skinned people found in East Africa. That is strongly affirmed in melanin-testing which suggesting a rather" Negroid" complexion. I wouldn't be surprised if those above would be considered too fair under that definition.

Posted by MindoverMatter718 (Member # 15400) on :

^^Don't get yourself drawn in to
a lame strawman debate about
(selective) pictures spams...

...thats what he wants so as to distract
from his fate awaiting him in other
threads...

...this thread is worthless, and
only serves as further evidence and
testimony to the lack of intellect
Fawal possesses, if any!

Let this thread die, as it serves no
other purpose!!

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

quote:

That woman is probably darker than me. Then again, I'm not African-American or Caribbean. I certainly am of African descent and you'll need to go to East Africa and see the populations around the region.

I mean, you must originate from a very different America. However I've seen African-Americans who are much lighter.

quote:
No. The vast majority aren't, especially since European traits are so common. Start citing actual sources, vs. pictures.

Your petty words mean nothing. We don't even know you, moron. How the hell can you be an authoritative source on anything?

I am not suggesting Al-Ahram is scholarly, but it's leaned towards your class. Regardless, the author points out the origin behind the color distribution within modern-day Egypt:

quote:

Upper class Egyptians, often fairer than their poorer compatriots, invariably look down on lower class Egyptians who tend to be darker in complexion. There is a subtle correlation between lower income and darker complexion. The Egyptian upper classes and elites tend to be noticeably lighter in complexion than their poorer and working class compatriots. "They labour in the sun," is sometimes the cynical explanation.

But, a more accurate explanation would be that Egypt has for thousands of years been ruled by foreign, and lighter-skinned, invaders -- Persians, Greeks, Romans, Arabs, Turks, the French and British. A large section of the pre-revolutionary Egyptian elite could trace their ancestry to Balkan, Caucasian and Turkish roots. Moreover, Napoleon Bonaparte's French expedition was notorious for sowing its seeds in places like the Delta city of Mansoura whose women are reputedly "exceptionally beautiful"; in Egyptian common parlance that means fair-skinned, with light-coloured eyes and hair. Link

Its even stressed:

quote:
The Egyptians see themselves as essentially sumr, or "dark". However, for all intents and purposes this is a most confusing and contentious term. If an individual is described as asmar, the masculine, or samra, the feminine, they could range in colour from the ****southern Sudanese ebony**** or indigo black, a west African chocolate or mahogany black, the various copper and honey-toned Ethiopian and Somali types, to the olive or off-white dark-haired Mediterranean or Middle Eastern-looking type.
This is hilarious, because that's clearly obvious on these lands. I don't know what part of North Africa you've traveled around, but Egypt is quite diverse.

No one here suggested that those people above are not descended from the Ancient Egyptians. Rather the ancients resembled darker skinned people found in East Africa. That is strongly affirmed in melanin-testing which suggesting a rather" Negroid" complexion. I wouldn't be surprised if those above would be considered too fair under that definition.

LOL, this dude is a clown. I have not been to N.A but I have countless books on Africa some that cover N. Africa...No one says that the people are all black but
1)There are Blacks, they are there, and have been there before any Slave markets or fables of Slave markets that seems so popular with the Arabs that post on Stormfront an Mathilda's blog.

2) The so called White N.A is ridiculous..N.A are darker than most Sourhtrn Europeans..nearly to that of Arabs and many are mistaken or claim Arab blood and if we factor in the White European slavery in N.A then we change the whole debate. Its funny I have never seen the Arabs that post on Mathida's blog and stormfron mention the White European slavery in N.A but they love to mention the blacks of N.A decend from slaves...

“Enslavement was a very real possibility for anyone who traveled in the Mediterranean, or who lived along the shores in places like Italy, France, Spain and Portugal, and even as far north as England and Iceland,” he said.

Pirates (called corsairs) from cities along the Barbary Coast in north Africa – cities such as Tunis and Algiers – would raid ships in the Mediterranean and Atlantic, as well as seaside villages to capture men, women and children. The impact of these attacks were devastating – France, England, and Spain each lost thousands of ships, and long stretches of the Spanish and Italian coasts were almost completely abandoned by their inhabitants. At its peak, the destruction and depopulation of some areas probably exceeded what European slavers would later inflict on the African interior.

I wonder how this factors in to Fawal's Spam??

Prior to the Islamic conquests by Asian Arabs, many regions of North Africa were inhabited by the Berber, an indigenous African people.2 For this article, the term "North African" will include the native Berber as well as Arabs who came from Asia. Some Western scholars regard the Berber as "white Caucasian" who resemble Southern Europeans3, but other observers say the Berber appear neither European nor Arab nor Negroid. F, a Berber man from Algeria, say, "Berber skin color ranges from black to white. We cover a wide geographical region and have a wide range of appearances." Mitochondrial DNA analysis seems to corroborate F's observation; the amount of subSaharan African mDNA genetic contribution to Berber communities varied from 82% for the Tuaregs to 4% for the Rifains.4 "The Berber have their own languages", F says, "but when Arabs from Asia invaded North Africa, many Berbers accepted the Arab language and culture." The script of the Berbers is still used by the Tuaregs. For more information on the Tamazigh language,
http://www.colorq.org/meltingPot/article.aspx?d=Africa&x=NorthAfr

3)-No one here says that N.A are are all black nor have we tried to paint such an Image.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

For comparative purposes:
 -

-

-

Princess Lalla Salma up close (Pay attention Bob, creme white skin, reddish-brown hair, and olive green eyes. Not unlike the Egyptian girl I described. And NO skin bleach would give you a complexsion that radiant [Wink] ):
 -

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

quote:

Sudan, Mauritania, Chad and Niger officially off the table. And for the record I was going to address your posts as soon as I was finished with this thread. It just goes to show how completely without class all of you on this board, you could of at least restrained your comments until I had completely uploaded all of my photos. But then again what more is there to expect from a bunch of hoodrats? [Frown]

quote:
Originally posted by Jari-Ankhamun:
quote:

quote:

quote:

Its even stressed:

quote:

LOL, this dude is a clown. I have not been to N.A but I have countless books on Africa some that cover N. Africa...No one says that the people are all black but
1)There are Blacks, they are there, and have been there before any Slave markets or fables of Slave markets that seems so popular with the Arabs that post on Stormfront an Mathilda's blog.

2) The so called White N.A is ridiculous..N.A are darker than most Sourhtrn Europeans..nearly to that of Arabs and many are mistaken or claim Arab blood and if we factor in the White European slavery in N.A then we change the whole debate. Its funny I have never seen the Arabs that post on Mathida's blog and stormfron mention the White European slavery in N.A but they love to mention the blacks of N.A decend from slaves...

“Enslavement was a very real possibility for anyone who traveled in the Mediterranean, or who lived along the shores in places like Italy, France, Spain and Portugal, and even as far north as England and Iceland,” he said.

Pirates (called corsairs) from cities along the Barbary Coast in north Africa – cities such as Tunis and Algiers – would raid ships in the Mediterranean and Atlantic, as well as seaside villages to capture men, women and children. The impact of these attacks were devastating – France, England, and Spain each lost thousands of ships, and long stretches of the Spanish and Italian coasts were almost completely abandoned by their inhabitants. At its peak, the destruction and depopulation of some areas probably exceeded what European slavers would later inflict on the African interior.

Prior to the Islamic conquests by Asian Arabs, many regions of North Africa were inhabited by the Berber, an indigenous African people.2 For this article, the term "North African" will include the native Berber as well as Arabs who came from Asia. Some Western scholars regard the Berber as "white Caucasian" who resemble Southern Europeans3, but other observers say the Berber appear neither European nor Arab nor Negroid. F, a Berber man from Algeria, say, "Berber skin color ranges from black to white. We cover a wide geographical region and have a wide range of appearances." Mitochondrial DNA analysis seems to corroborate F's observation; the amount of subSaharan African mDNA genetic contribution to Berber communities varied from 82% for the Tuaregs to 4% for the Rifains.4 "The Berber have their own languages", F says, "but when Arabs from Asia invaded North Africa, many Berbers accepted the Arab language and culture." The script of the Berbers is still used by the Tuaregs. For more information on the Tamazigh language,

3)-No one here says that N.A are are all black nor have we tried to paint such an Image.

Get over yourselves, this is what we look like and what we've always looked. Have any ever been to North Africa?! Anyone who seriously believes that NA is or has ever been "black" is in serious need of psychiatric care.

quote:
^^Don't get yourself drawn in to
a lame strawman debate about
(selective) pictures spams...

...thats what he wants so as to distract
from his fate awaiting him in other
threads...

...this thread is worthless, and
only serves as further evidence and
testimony to the lack of intellect
Fawal possesses, if any!

Let this thread die, as it serves no
other purpose!!

But of course you'll want this thread to be buried. Why? Simply due to the fact that exposes you all as the liars you are!

quote:
quote:

Show us a thread that misrepresents the North African or tries to make all North fricans "Negroid" other than the North East African Thread which focusses on Egypt and East Africa.(does not even include on N.A country other than Egypt.) No sane Person on here denies that north African Berbers have a light/tawny appearance compared to southern populations but the common argument here is that Black populations exist in N.A as well, and many have so from time memmorial and predates any fables of Slave offsprings which come to thing of it...

"Over the course of four centuries, the Atlantic slave trade was much larger – about 10 to 12 million black Africans were brought to the Americas. But from 1500 to 1650, when trans-Atlantic slaving was still in its infancy, more white Christian slaves were probably taken to Barbary than black African slaves to the Americas, according to Davis"

You are not biased...SURE..LOL.

Oh Please! you all here have consistently tried to make it seem as though the darkest Berbers from the extremes of the Sahara are representative of the majority of us! The latest offence would have to be this:

Posted by GlobalAfrikanSupremacy (Member # 16906) on :

Dumb ****, what is the point of this thread? I have posted anthropological evidence showing the ancient Egyptian were Black. I could care less about these little sand crackers you keep spamming.

quote:
The Tropical rainforests are found between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn. Some of the regions are in Central America, South America, Africa, Asia, and Oceania.

Def:pertaining or belonging to any of the various populations characterized by dark skin pigmentation, specifically the dark-skinned peoples of Africa, Oceania, and Australia.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/black
Skin Tones of different regions..
 -

Oceania
 -
W.Africa
 -
E.Africa
 -
N.Africa
 -
Meso-America
 -
India
 -

More pics to come soon!

My fellow Blacks, there is a problem in this world, greater than all other problems; and that problem, my friends, is the White Race.

Has the White man ever gone any where without bringing death, destruction, and disease in his wake? Is there even a single continent or country on this Earth, including his own, where the White man has not committed numerous attrocities and genocides?

For the first 5,000 years of recorded history, the White animal was content to live on his own shitty continent, running around raping, pillaging, and murdering each other like the animals they are.

The white swine were living in caves while EVERY other race on the face of the Earth had great civilizations and cultures. In Africa, there was Egypt, Nubia, Kush, Aksum, Zimbabwe, Mali; in Asia there was Israel, Pheonicia, Babylon, Persia, India, China, Japan; and the Americas had Aztec, Olmec, Mayan, and Incan civilizations. Meanwhile, Europe had primitive huts and cannibalistic tribes roaming across the continent, and nothing else.

The first civilizations in Europe were Greece and Rome. However, neither of these civilizations were White in origin, for the savage Indo-European animals merely stole from the non-White natives who they conquered. Greek civilization was stolen from the Pelasgians, who were racially linked to Levant Arabs, while the Etruscans, who were the basis of Roman civilization, were from what is now Turkey.

Furthermore, both the Greek "civilization" and the Roman "civilization" were far inferior to the Black Egyptians. The Greek and Roman savages were known for their practice of faggotry, pedophilia, and bestiality. The Spartans, who are often considered as heroic by White crackers, were known to be a bunch of flaming faggots who had sex with young boys. Alexander the (not so) Great, who conquered the Middle East not through military might or strategy, but through trickery and mass murder(which is the known cracker method of waging warfare) was a raging homo who had numerous male lovers. Most of "Greco-Roman" philosophy, science, and mathematics, was stolen from either Persians or Black Egyptians, while the "Greek" alphabet was based off the Pheonicians. Likewise, Romans stole all of their knowledge from Greeks, and were thus also greatly indebted to the superior Black master. Cracker supremacists make up for this by claiming that all of those groups were "Mediterranean Caucasoids". However, science has proven that the Mediterranean Race is a myth; that the so called Southern "European" is a mongrel with large amounts of Semetic and Negroid blood; and, finally, that the Egyptians were Black, and that the Pheonicians and Persians were most closely related to the modern inhabitants of these areas, NOT to cracker animals.

After the Roman "civilization" fell, Europe collapsed into the dark ages for a thousand years. It was only when the Black African Moors invaded and imposed civilization on you beasts, that the Renaissance began.

For the past 500 years, the cracker albino has gone around the world, raping, enslaving, and genociding the superior non Whites.

You animals have almost completely exterminated not one but TWO entire genetically distinct races of people: the Native Americans and the Australian Aborigines. You worthless savages have reduced Africa to ruins, and introduced your barbaric cultural practices(i.e. faggotry, pedophilia, bestiality, misogyny, burning of "witches", etc.) to the native Africans. You primitive, inferior apes have exterminated numerous Black African tribes, taking away the native Afrikan religions and languages, and imposing your hideous, guttural tribal speak known as English, and your barbaric, false religion known as Christianity.

You disgusting, wicked, pigskinned untermenschen have started two World Wars, and have helped to establish the racist, terrorist, genocidal, illegitimate nation of Israel. In the past twenty years, you blue eyed devils have waged three wars in the Middle East: The Gulf War, the Afghanistan War, and the Iraq War. You have imposed the embargo which killed over 500,000 Iraqi children, and which that kike whore Madeleine Albright said was "worth it" to punish Saddam Hussein. In the Iraq War, you have looted and destroyed the priceless treasures of the ancient Mesopotamian civilization. Soon, you beasts will be invading Iran, and will undoubtedly rape and murder hundreds of thousands of Iranian women and children, just as you have done to Iraq and Afghanistan. Even the so called liberal pacifist Democrats are a bunch of blood thirsty sociopaths, such as Hillary Clinton who said in a speech that she would "obliterate" Iran, if necessary, to defend the terrorist cracker supremacist nation of Israel.

All of this is more than enough to prove that Fawal belongs to a hideous, barbaric, wicked, devilish, murderous, hateful, demonic entity.

Dumb ****, this thread is so foolish and useless. You can barley prove anything by picture spamming.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/2053/soniabd0.jpg

^ Absolutely, no source or information indicates this person is from North Africa.

Besides, some of these people who look like crackers could have came in during cracker colonialism.

http://sabbah.biz/mt/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/miss_algeria_1_2007.jpg
Algeria was colonized by Crackers, how do I know this is a native Algerian?

Here are some real North Africans, not those human filth who came in during cracker colonization.
 -  -
 -

-

-

^ Pointless posting information. Let this thread die, GAS.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/KING9_2006/Northeast%20Africans/9b21.jpg[
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/KING9_2006/Northeast%20Africans/2970665105_0b7253430d.jpg

(Edit, sure thing Bob I accidently posted this before I so your message though.)

Posted by argyle104 (Member # 14634) on :

fawal,

Those are the people who were brought to Cuba, Domincan Republic, Puerto Rico, Brazil, the U.S., etc. as slaves.

LOL! Whats was your point again?

quote:
quote:
The Tropical rainforests are found between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn. Some of the regions are in Central America, South America, Africa, Asia, and Oceania.

Def:pertaining or belonging to any of the various populations characterized by dark skin pigmentation, specifically the dark-skinned peoples of Africa, Oceania, and Australia.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/black
Skin Tones of different regions..
 -

Oceania
 -
W.Africa
 -
E.Africa
 -
N.Africa
 -
Meso-America
 -
India
 -

LOL. Kid your pathetic in the same thread I posted pictures of white Berbers, sorry I could only put one pic to represent a region of a vast people. Like I said no one here hs tried to paint N.A black only to prove blacks exist...

Posted by Whatbox (Member # 10819) on :

quote:
Since skimming through this forum, I've noticed that there are very few accurate representations of what we North Africans actually look like. Many of the "experts" here[...]

quote:
Show us a thread that misrepresents the North African or tries to make all North fricans "Negroid"

quote:
MindoverMatter sedd:Lol, instead of addressing what needs to be addressed, this Fawal clown is now reduced to picture spamming.
In the context of black America, the only real point or goal in playing the *Game* of ~~~excessively focusing on whether or not certain labels are appropriate for a majority of the inhabitants of oft over-emphasized and enchanted **Modern** Nations and Polities like "North Africa" or "the Arab Republic of Egypt"~~~ is to connote an implicitly lost black American viewpoint via playing up the political image of a historically nationally disinfranchized and wronged group vs that of another culture often viewed as historically oppressive all the while ignoring ancient Keme Nu and Kememu Culture, scientific analysis of demographic relationships between populations, and discourse on the history of the lands Km.t [Nwt] occupied (which implies the Modern Arab Republic of Egypt, which = a European word btw).

Posted by Truthcentric (Member # 3735) on :

Who gives a **** about what modern North Africans look like? Most of us on this board are interested in ancient North Africans such as the ancient Egyptians. What modern North Africans look like is as relevant to this forum as a thread showing pictures of average Americans living today would be in a forum about pre-Columbian American history.

quote:
Originally posted by Truthcentric:
Who gives a **** about what modern North Africans look like? Most of us on this board are interested in ancient North Africans such as the ancient Egyptians. What modern North Africans look like is as relevant to this forum as a thread showing pictures of average Americans living today would be in a forum about pre-Columbian American history.

Exactly and I like how Fawal totally IGNORES the history of White Slavery of North Africa and how that Impacts his so N.A population. LOL...no one here says All modern N.A are black..

Although hundreds of thousands of Christian slaves were taken from Mediterranean countries, Davis noted, the effects of Muslim slave raids was felt much further away: it appears, for example, that through most of the 17th century the English lost at least 400 sailors a year to the slavers.

Even Americans were not immune. For example, one American slave reported that 130 other American seamen had been enslaved by the Algerians in the Mediterranean and Atlantic just between 1785 and 1793.

Davis said the vast scope of slavery in North Africa has been ignored and minimized, in large part because it is on no one’s agenda to discuss what happened.

The enslavement of Europeans doesn’t fit the general theme of European world conquest and colonialism that is central to scholarship on the early modern era, he said. Many of the countries that were victims of slavery, such as France and Spain, would later conquer and colonize the areas of North Africa where their citizens were once held as slaves. Maybe because of this history, Western scholars have thought of the Europeans primarily as “evil colonialists” and not as the victims they sometimes were, Davis said.

Davis said another reason that Mediterranean slavery has been ignored or minimized has been that there have not been good estimates of the total number of people enslaved. People of the time – both Europeans and the Barbary Coast slave owners – did not keep detailed, trustworthy records of the number of slaves. In contrast, there are extensive records that document the number of Africans brought to the Americas as slaves.

So Davis developed a new methodology to come up with reasonable estimates of the number of slaves along the Barbary Coast. Davis found the best records available indicating how many slaves were at a particular location at a single time. He then estimated how many new slaves it would take to replace slaves as they died, escaped or were ransomed.

“The only way I could come up with hard numbers is to turn the whole problem upside down – figure out how many slaves they would have to capture to maintain a certain level,” he said. “It is not the best way to make population estimates, but it is the only way with the limited records available.”

Putting together such sources of attrition as deaths, escapes, ransomings, and conversions, Davis calculated that about one-fourth of slaves had to be replaced each year to keep the slave population stable, as it apparently was between 1580 and 1680. That meant about 8,500 new slaves had to be captured each year. Overall, this suggests nearly a million slaves would have been taken captive during this period. Using the same methodology, Davis has estimated as many as 475,000 additional slaves were taken in the previous and following centuries.

The result is that between 1530 and 1780 there were almost certainly 1 million and quite possibly as many as 1.25 million white, European Christians enslaved by the Muslims of the Barbary Coast.

Davis said his research into the treatment of these slaves suggests that, for most of them, their lives were every bit as difficult as that of slaves in America.

“As far as daily living conditions, the Mediterranean slaves certainly didn’t have it better,” he said.

While African slaves did grueling labor on sugar and cotton plantations in the Americas, European Christian slaves were often worked just as hard and as lethally – in quarries, in heavy construction, and above all rowing the corsair galleys themselves.

Davis said his findings suggest that this invisible slavery of European Christians deserves more attention from scholars.

“We have lost the sense of how large enslavement could loom for those who lived around the Mediterranean and the threat they were under,” he said. “Slaves were still slaves, whether they are black or white, and whether they suffered in America or North Africa.”

Posted by xyyman (Member # 13597) on :

He is right. These people look alike .. If I didn't know better I would say they are siblings

-

and
 -

and
 -

and
 -

. . . . .and . . . .

-

Posted by Mike111 (Member # 9361) on :

fawal - It is interesting that you found it necessary to remind us that North Africa was long ago conquered by Whites. It seems to me that you must be feeling some heat.

And right you are, sooner or later, the foolishness in Sudan will end. When that happens, Africans will have a direct path to North Africa.

And with the Ottoman Empire no longer in existence, and the army's of the Europeans no longer there to protect their settlers, your time is limited.

BTW - As an indicator of things to come; Kadafi took Libya from a Black man, but for political reasons he had to take a Black wife, now his son and heir is a Black man. Are you feeling the heat?

Posted by anguishofbeing (Member # 16736) on :

Again, why are people responding to picture spam? [Roll Eyes]

quote:

quote:

quote:

Its even stressed:

quote:

Posted in the wrong thread.

Posted by Kalonji (Member # 17303) on :

So this is the Fawal person some afro-centric confused me with some time ago..?

Musta confused my objectiveness with some impersonator who's trying to make others believe he is black

Seriously.. these impersonators really seem to make some people paranoid as hell to the point where they start to see ''racist propaganda'' everywhere

Kalonji!

Posted by AswaniAswad (Member # 16742) on :

Fawal im sorry but i am a north african and most of those pictures are not native people of algeria tunis or morrocco.

Its like coming to America and seeing all these white americans and even native indians who are white i live in Humboldt County California right near Indian reservation BEar river, Hoopa, Yuroc, and many more and if u see them they look like whites because they are mixed with whites now when i see North Africa especially Tunis and Algeria i see many Turkish faces wonder why.

If u look closely at Berbers doesnt matter how white they are they have a distinct look similar to Somali and Horners

Posted by Djehuti (Member # 6698) on :

LOL The fool Fawal proves our point-- 90% of the people in the pictures he posts look obviously mixed with African ancestry. In fact many look no different from Latinos from the Carribean like Puerto-Ricans, Cubans, or Dominicans all of whom have a significant percentange of black African ancestry. Thus, if all these modern day off-white North Africans are any indication, their ancestors likely much darker and you cannot seperate North Africa from black Africa as blacks inhabited ALL of Africa.

Or else how do you explain all these ancient Egyptians below:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Posted by AswaniAswad (Member # 16742) on :

Fawal has just been eating to much Falafal aka FeelAwful Fawal are u sure u are not Khawal hahahahh

quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

quote:

Its even stressed:

quote:
This is hilarious, because that's clearly obvious on these lands. I don't know which part of "North Africa" you've traveled around, but Egypt is quite diverse.

Get over yourselves, this is what we look like and what we've always looked. Have any ever been to North Africa?! Anyone who seriously believes that NA is or has ever been "black" is in serious need of psychiatric care.
Why do you talk such nonsense? I could fit in with "North Africans" off the Nile. You speak as if the damn region is homogeneous, when it clearly isn't.

Those living in the North-West African coast are quite distinct from those living to the East. It shouldn't be surprising considering the geographical distance (Ks of km) and the fact that most Egyptians live on the Nile.

Seriously, I couldn't care less about what Berbers in the NW think, especially when they're not even Nile peoples. The truth is, mainstream Egyptian portals state what I'm stating:

quote:

The Egyptians see themselves as essentially sumr, or "dark". However, for all intents and purposes this is a most confusing and contentious term. If an individual is described as asmar, the masculine, or samra, the feminine, they could range in colour from the southern Sudanese ebony or indigo black, a west African chocolate or mahogany black, the various copper and honey-toned Ethiopian and Somali types, to the olive or ****off-white dark-haired Mediterranean or Middle Eastern-looking type****.
[...]

But, a more accurate explanation would be that Egypt has for thousands of years been ruled by foreign, and lighter-skinned, invaders -- ***Persians, Greeks, Romans***, Arabs, ***Turks***, the French and British. A large section of the pre-revolutionary Egyptian elite could trace their ancestry to Balkan, Caucasian and Turkish roots. Moreover, Napoleon Bonaparte's French expedition was notorious for sowing its seeds in places like the Delta city of Mansoura whose women are reputedly "exceptionally beautiful"; in Egyptian common parlance that means fair-skinned, with light-coloured eyes and hair. Link

Have you heard of Al-Ahram? Do you know the history of this newspaper? I'd suggest doing some research, before assuming that this piece is from some Afrocentrist source.

Returning to the article, who the hell do you think those off-white people are? I'd suggest visiting Iran and Turkey. You'd see both which the piece above clearly suggests is a foreign element. That is certainly not being suggested of those who'd fall under Black:

quote:
Not only are the poorer classes darker in complexion, but they tend to display more *****"African"**** cultural traits. Much of the music they enjoy has rhythmic beats that are reminiscent of those of the music of Africa ****south ****of the Sahara, with an emphasis on drums and percussion. The elite tend to favour classical Western-influenced music or Middle Eastern (Turkish and Persian) musical strains dominated by stringed instruments. While the poorer and working classes are more likely to dance spontaneously and with abandon in public, the elites tend to be more restrained. Much clapping and ululation accompanies street parties in low income areas, the elites, in sharp contrast, shun these ****"baladi"**** literally "country" traits, suggestive of the African.
PS: I suggest shutting up, Fawal. Honestly, though, maybe, I should join the many who **** young women from your land. One could travel to Tel Aviv and see these pests without even stepping into that worthless region. However, I wouldn't want to mess around with such dirty people. As I said before. please tone down your ego.

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com