This is topic Is it true ancient Egyptians applied sunscreen to their skin? in forum Deshret at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=012809

Posted by Black Crystal (Member # 22903) on :

I ran into a eurocentrist video that purports ancient Egyptians used sunscreen to protect their skin. Is this true?

Posted by Oshun (Member # 19740) on :

Understanding the sun causes melanomas and wearing a product to specifically prevent that? Probably not. Attempting to use products that were believed to be capable of upholding a lighter beauty standard for women that incidentally might've blocked UV rays is far more likely. But even what is "light enough" is relative among Africans with preferences for lighter skin (and bleach to get it). The type of lighter skin that is the beauty standard in the U.S is much lighter than many parts of SSA, where people bleach to get tones that seem very like a very average dark skin tone in America.

Were there very light Egyptians? Yes, especially in northern coasts of Egypt. Most examples of lighter Egyptians are from artistic depictions of northern Egyptians OR they have no information about where in Egypt they came from. The further back in time and the more south you go, darker complexions would've been more common. This is generally of interest to many people here, because Egypt's origins were the result of southerners taking northern land for resource and trade.

^^^Yes or no or you do not know?

Most stuff I'm reading says it was used to prevent tanning which means many of their skin tones could darken. It's no secret that even darker portrayals of AE aren't Dinka black. Were the concoctions proven to be effective to prevent tanning or as sunscreen? I don't know. Beyond that, I'm saying that I've seen no evidence that the Egyptians knew the sun caused skin cancers, let alone that they placed anything on their skin to cope with a lack of physical adaptation.

If the only reason this is a source of discussion is to prove lighter people lived in Egypt, I'm not denying that they did. However the north-south "cline" of light to dark was generally how things are perceived in Egyptology, with the general trend towards a lighter northern AE look reminiscent of the modern Near East becoming more normative throughout Egypt in later periods of time.

Posted by xyyman (Member # 13597) on :

OP :rolleyes:

You are taking me around the world again. All I am asking is if they used it, yes or no. I am not interested in the extra fluff you want to add to the response. I am cool but that is unnecessary. I am going to conclude that you are unsure.

quote:
Originally posted by Oshun:
Most stuff I'm reading says it was used to prevent tanning which means many of their skin tones could darken. It's no secret that even darker portrayals of AE aren't Dinka black. Were the concoctions proven to be effective to prevent tanning or as sunscreen? I don't know. Beyond that, I'm saying that I've seen no evidence that the Egyptians knew the sun caused skin cancers, let alone that they placed anything on their skin to cope with a lack of physical adaptation.

If the only reason this is a source of discussion is to prove lighter people lived in Egypt, I'm not denying that they did. However the north-south "cline" of light to dark was generally how things are perceived in Egyptology, with the general trend towards a lighter northern AE look reminiscent of the modern Near East becoming more normative throughout Egypt in later periods of time.

First of all, you don't even think the AE were black in the first place, you've already said you place them phenotypically with the modern Near East. So don't get on my ass for supposedly taking you around the block over some so-called debate with a "Eurocentrist" because your stated position is not that much different. Few Eurocentric commentators believe AE came straight out of Europe or looked like carbon copies of Nords. I use my words VERY carefully when I talk about stuff like this, specifically because of people wanting to make a political point. AE using sunscreen is probable depending on what you mean by sunscreen. And though I've seen studies saying they used stuff in the interest of preventing tanning (meaning many weren't Dinka black), I didn't read anything that said what they used was an effective sunblock. Since you're in a debate with "Eurocentrists" ask them to provide evidence of what they're talking about. We're not affirming with any certainty the existence of such a thing, so it's not really our place to prove Egyptians succeeded in creating sunblock.

I asked a simple question that required a yes or no and supporting data, that is all. But you seem to get in your feelings that you had to post all that extra extra read all about it. All I asked was a simple question. I did't ask for a soliloquy. No offense. And thanks anyhow.

quote:
First of all, you don't even think the AE were black in the first place, you've already said you place them phenotypically with the modern Near East. So don't get on my ass for supposedly taking you around the block over some so-called debate with a "Eurocentrist" because your stated position is not that much different. Few Eurocentric commentators believe AE came straight out of Europe or looked like carbon copies of Nords. I use my words VERY carefully when I talk about stuff like this, specifically because of people wanting to make a political point. AE using sunscreen is probable depending on what you mean by sunscreen. And though I've seen studies saying they used stuff in the interest of preventing tanning (meaning many weren't Dinka black), I didn't read anything that said what they used was an effective sunblock. Since you're in a debate with "Eurocentrists" ask them to provide evidence of what they're talking about. We're not affirming with any certainty the existence of such a thing, so it's not really our place to prove Egyptians succeeded in creating sunblock.

I already told you: I've read research that claimed they applied stuff to their skin in the interest of edit: NOT getting darker. Whether it was at the very least an effective sunscreen is for them to prove. Why are you asking us to prove the existence of something that you should be asking Team Eurocentrism to give you?

quote:
But you seem to get in your feelings that you had to post all that extra extra.
 -

If by feelings you mean humor then yes. You're hilarious! Do you need to be shown the posts where you went around trying to show AE to be (non black) middle Eastern in phenotype? I don't have to be in my feelings to point out you're being full of it. You're debating a Eurocentrist on a position you already have? Why? Lol, you must think we were born yesterday. You're asking US this because you pretty much already have a standard Eurocentric position and would like us to go fishing to find your points for you. I'm sorry, I haven't found any evidence thus far that suggests the AE used an effective sunscreen. Not that it'd matter because I already said lighter skinned Egyptians existed regardless. So I already acknowledge the reason why anyone who'd be bringing up this type of conversation under the pretense of "debating Eurocentrism."

so you want to take what I allegedly said on some other occasion and apply to a separate and unrelated event? Who does shit like that? Never mind. No need for the back and forth.

quote:
I already told you: I've read research that claimed they applied stuff to their skin in the interest of getting darker. Whether it was at the very least an effective sunscreen is for them to prove. Why are you asking us to prove the existence of something that you should be asking Team Eurocentrism to give you?

quote:
But you seem to get in your feelings that you had to post all that extra extra.
Do you need to be shown the posts where you went around trying to show AE to be (non black) middle Eastern in phenotype? I don't have to be in my feelings to point out you're being full of it. You're debating a Eurocentrist on a position you already have? Why? Lol, you must think we were born yesterday. You're asking US this because you pretty much already have a standard Eurocentric position and would like us to go fishing to find your points for you. I'm sorry, I haven't found any evidence thus far that suggests the AE used an effective sunscreen. Not that it'd matter because I already said lighter skinned Egyptians existed regardless. So I already acknowledge the reason why anyone who'd be bringing up this type of conversation under the pretense of "debating Eurocentrism."

I dont believe ancient Egyptians were Negroid or Caucasoid. Excuse my French, but how the fuck does that coincide with Eurocentrists' point of view on ancient Egypt? Stop it.

Posted by lamin (Member # 5777) on :

In parts of Africa the sun is very hot--especially in the desert areas. The thing about AEs using sun screens is a dumb red herring. The majority of AEs were as the Greeks described them "melanchros"(Herodotus, Aristotle, etc.)--i.e. "black skinned"--or at least very dark.

The majority of the people(males) worked half-clothed in the hot sun as the following shows.
It should be very obvious that when the sun is beating down--African people are forced to wear protective body clothing, use umbrellas or just stay out of the sun.

AEs working in the hot sun

https://www.google.com/search?q=ancient+egyptians+in+the+hot+sun++and++fields++images&client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjjhYbH0czcAhVEQ6wKHWbQApcQ7Al6BA gAEBs&biw=1067&bih=489#imgrc=wx_hpZzyODaHfM:

Hausa and Chadic Horsemen with Protective Clothing--from the hot sun

https://www.google.com/search?q=ancient+egyptians+in+the+hot+sun++and++fields++images&client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjjhYbH0czcAhVEQ6wKHWbQApcQ7Al6BA gAEBs&biw=1067&bih=489#imgrc=wx_hpZzyODaHfM:

Melanoma in Africa.

it occurs but rare.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3074354/

quote:
Originally posted by Black Crystal:
so you want to take what I allegedly said on some other occasion and apply to a separate and unrelated event? Who does shit like that? Never mind. No need for the back and forth.

-

Who does shit like that? People who don't have time for bullshit. How is this unrelated? You're trying to pass your interest in this as "combatting Eurocentrics" over an opinion you both share? They told you AE made something to successfully block UV? But don't have any information that goes beyond information online that says they were interested and tried to prevent tanning for relatively lighter skin? Ask SuperEgyptian Phonecian7 what their sources are. Like I said, IDC I already acknowledged light skin in Egypt. I'm just bemused by new Eurocentric users fucking up on their tapdancing game. You gotta do better!

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=012795

-

Where the fuck did I say I was combating anyone? LMAO. I was watching a fucking Eurocentric video on Youtube just like I watch Afrocentric videos. And the topic covered was sunscreen in ancient Egypt which is something I have never heard about. I come here since I know there are Afrocentrists on this site who might be aware of this and post this thread. But you in your feelings and defensive and shit. Shit, that aint my problem! smh.

quote:
Who does shit like that? People who don't have time for bullshit. How is this unrelated? You're trying to pass your interest in this as "combatting Eurocentrics" over an opinion you both share? They told you AE made something to successfully block UV? But don't have any information that goes beyond information online that says they were interested and tried to prevent tanning for relatively lighter skin? Ask SuperEgyptian Phonecian7 what their sources are. Like I said, IDC I already acknowledged light skin in Egypt. I'm just bemused by new Eurocentric users fucking up on their tapdancing game. You gotta do better!

-

quote:
Where the fuck did I say I was combating anyone? LMAO.

Why would you call it "Eurocentrism" when essentially Eurocentrics have your position which you do not hold to be politically biased, but factual in nature. You were calling it Eurocentric to give readers the impression that you were opposed to the general nature of the position. Whether you combat them specifically or not doesn't change that calling something "Eurocentric" is pejorative. This of course makes no sense to say for a position on AE that you also have.

Error Above

Hausa and Chadic Horsemen Wearing Protective Clothing

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&biw=1067&bih=489&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=hhJiW9GqK8rusQW8q4mQCA&q=African++chad++and++hausa++horsemen++with++horses+and++turbans&oq=Africa n++chad++and++hausa++horsemen++with++horses+and++turbans&gs_l=img.3...21528.42124.0.42353.51.48.0.0.0.0.439.6651.0j24j7j2j1.34.0....0...1c.1.64.img..20.0.0....0.RDDBOp5WzJo

What is my position?

quote:
quote:
Where the fuck did I say I was combating anyone? LMAO.

Why would you call it "Eurocentrism" when essentially Eurocentrics have your position which you do not hold to be politically biased, but factual in nature. You were calling it Eurocentric to give readers the impression that you were opposed to the general nature of the position. Whether you combat them specifically or not doesn't change that calling something "Eurocentric" is pejorative. This of course makes no sense to say for a position on AE that you also have.

quote:
What is my position?

That AE are more "Middle Eastern" and "non black" in phenotype. This is a the modern mainstream Eurocentric position for AE. I posted the link to where we discussed it too for anyone interested in looking. Your position is Eurocentric, so it makes little sense for you to talk pejoratively about your own viewpoint.

quote:
But you in your feelings and defensive and shit. Shit, that aint my problem! smh.

About what "smartass" [/sarcasm]? I just said from the get go, light skin and Near Eastern influences were in AE from the start. Even if you could prove they used sunscreen, it's not a problem for me. Try again.

lmfao! Dude lay off the dooby. Eurocentric implies centered on Europe. Afrocentric implies centered on Africa. If one believes AE was Middle Eastern racially then how could you be Eurocentric? Europe and Middle East aint the same place. smdh. You reaching, buddy. I'd agree with you had you characterized me as Asia-centric.

You just in your feelings, dude. Seriously.

quote:
[QB] lmfao! Dude lay off the dooby. Eurocentric implies centered on Europe. Afrocentric implies centered on Africa. If you believe AE was Middle Eastern then you are NOT Eurocentric smdh.

Being Eurocentric is describing something from a European perspective beyond the scope of what available data supports. Few Eurocentrics believe AE came from Europe. VERY few. The mainstream European perspective minimizes an African or black influence in the creation of Egyptian civilization. Most other groups get their cues in perspective from Eurocentrism or Afrocentric camps. Even if Eurocentrism isn't talking about Europeans or placing them IN a civilization, the perspective promoted is in the socioeconomic interests of Europeans to deny blacks they're making money off of had anything to do with Egypt. So the general attitude is that that they were not black in phenotype and came from the Near East. You don't have an opinion that is opposed to the dominant European perspective to call the viewpoint "Eurocentric." But you probably know this, since those Eurocentrics on youtube talking about stuff like sunscreen are generally promoting Egypt as a transplant from the modern Near East.

quote:

You just in your feelings, dude. Seriously.

How? What are you even suggesting I "lose" in you finding they used sunscreen? I already acknowledged lighter skinned people with genetic proximity to the Near East lived in AE.

Stop it. Seriously. Stop while you are ahead. You feelings now are beginning to spill over. smdh.

-

Eurocentrists claim ancient Egypt was a WHITE civilization. Stop it.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Eurocentric

Definition of Eurocentric
: centered on Europe or the Europeans; especially : reflecting a tendency to interpret the world in terms of European or Anglo-American values and experiences

Your perspective and interpretation of AE is very aligned with the most common interpretation in European cultures. The perspective does not incorporate what was found in other forms of thought that aren't popular in Europe (or rather, directly challenge popular European opinion). When you started saying AE looked like Palestinians I recall asking you how many non black Palestinians have in their diversity people that look like the reconstruction below:

-

That was a bit of a joke though since the phenotype is black regardless of whether you could prove he didn't have African ancestry. But as is common among Eurocentrics, you just breezed over it. This is what I mean by eradicating a black presence from Egypt beyond what feasible.

quote:
Eurocentrists claim ancient Egypt was a WHITE civilization. Stop it.

Eurocentrists claim either

a. North Africa is white and ancient north Africa and the Middle East is white. In the U.S, one of the biggest vomiting cesspools of Eurocentric thought, if you look at the Census people from MENA are classified as white. So yes, even this Egyptian is (legally) white in the U.s

-

b. "Blacks did not make Egypt or any civilization, which is grounds for us to make money of them like they're sub humans."

Again Europeans being PART of AE isn't as important as saying blacks weren't part of it. And the level of erasure of blacks in AE is not rooted in interests for truth, but for white sociopolitical and economic interests.

Show me where Middle East is included in a Eurocentric point of view based on the definition. You can't. smdh. I didn't bother reading your entire reply because frankly you are still in your feelings.

You have hijacked this thread with meaningless emotional crap. Thanks!

quote:
Show me where Middle East is included in a Eurocentric point of view based on the definition. You can't. smdh.

Again look at where most mainstream Eurocentric propaganda is coming. In the U.S MENA are white. So attempting to say they are light skinned "arabic" transplants from the Middle East is the U.S establishment's way of saying they're white.

The other way this view is Eurocentric is in it's reliance on what views are popular in Europe. It's a view that goes beyond what data shows to lean on a perspective that is in the sociopolitical interests of Europeans (who have a financial and social incentive to minimize or eradicate any black presence from Egypt). When I asked you to explain how this

-

Looks like a "non black" (Palestinian) you brushed the question. This what I mean by going beyond what the data shows to take on a very particular perspective that's popular among Europeans.

quote:
I didn't bother reading your entire reply because frankly you are still in your feelings.
Still tapdancing. Where do I lose to be in my feelings? Even if you prove they used sunblock, I already told you I said lighter skinned modern looking Semites were in Egypt from the beginning. Where is the emotional investment you keep accusing me of.

Oshun,

You have absolutely no intellectual honesty. I ask you to show me where Middle East is included in Eurocentrism, but instead you resort to gymnastics lmao. Later!

Oh yea, and I don't think they used sunscreen on their skin. I think that that is a made up shit by Eurocentrists. I just needed to make sure my assumption was correct. That is why I posted the thread asking.

Also, Palestinians today to me are fairly a good representation of the skin tone of ancient EGyptians. And I dont see them using any kind of skin cream protection.

-

AE depicted tones a bit darker than this.

-

Though many East Africans and AA look like the girl with the curls.

quote:
Oshun,

You have absolutely no intellectual honesty. I ask you to show me where Middle East is included in Eurocentrism, but instead you resort to gymnastics lmao. Later!

Explain how anything I said was gymnastics. I'm sorry if you can't digest more than two sentences. You didn't comment on any of my points to explain why you disagreed. Saying I did some sort of gymnastics it doesn't make it so.

Posted by Swenet (Member # 17303) on :

quote:
Oh yea, and I don't think they used sunscreen on their skin. I think that that is a made up shit by Eurocentrists. I just needed to make sure my assumption was correct. That is why I posted the thread asking.

Also, Palestinians today to me are fairly a good representation of the skin tone of ancient EGyptians. And I dont see them using any kind of skin cream protection.

-

Palestinians are genetically partly North African (Egyptian). So it's kind of circular to say Egyptians resemble them. You're not wrong when you say it, but you're leaving out part of the story. And the pictures you're using to represent Palestinians (also in that other thread, where the picture had poor lighting) are misleading. There is some sort of overlap between Egyptians and Palestinians, but it's easy to exaggerate with selective pictures. Also, the degree of overlap varies with time and region.

An analysis of crania from Tell-Duweir using multiple discriminant functions
https://www.academia.edu/29592421/An_analysis_of_crania_from_Tell-Duweir_using_multiple_discriminant_functions

But to answer your question, the AE did use at least one form of sunscreen. They used ground (pulverized) minerals as make up to protect their eyes from sun glare.

More info for those who are interested in how ancestors of living Palestinians related phenotypically to North Africans and Africans in general since Palaeolithic times.

Posted by the lioness, (Member # 17353) on :

anybody posting URLS that are too long I will be deleting them soon. You need to use the URL button instead so please go in an edit as such .
It's causing too much left to right scrolling making the thread unpleasant to read
lamin mainly
thank you

quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:

But to answer your question, the AE did use at least one form of sunscreen. They used ground (pulverized) minerals as make up to protect their eyes from sun glare.

Can you prove it? So far I have come across assertions they did. I have yet to see data confirming this.

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
anybody posting URLS that are too long I will be deleting them soon. You need to use the URL button instead so please go in an edit as such .
It's causing too much left to right scrolling making the thread unpleasant to read
lamin mainly
thank you

I just use the HTML url coding to avoid that. Yea it is very annoying to have to scroll right to left to read a post.

Personally I think Iraqis and Palestinians (and a couple others I cant think of now) are the best or closest representation in modern times of ancient Egyptian phenotype. The rest of the Middle East, places like Jordan and Lebanon, has been phenotypically white washed over time by Europeans.

quote:
More info for those who are interested in how ancestors of living Palestinians related phenotypically to North Africans and Africans in general since Palaeolithic times.

quote:
quote:

Can you prove it? So far I have come across assertions they did. I have yet to see data confirming this.
Ophthalmology of the Pharaohs: Antimicrobial Kohl Eyeliner in Ancient Egypt
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/bodyhorrors/2012/04/20/ophthalmology-of-the-pharaohs/#.W2M9ZNIzbx4

Thank you! see how easy that was, Oshun? lmao

quote:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/bodyhorrors/2012/04/20/ophthalmology-of-the-pharaohs/#.W2M9ZNIzbx4

Posted by Snakepit1 (Member # 21736) on :

quote:
Personally I think Iraqis and Palestinians (and a couple others I cant think of now) are the best or closest representation in modern times of ancient Egyptian phenotype. The rest of the Middle East, places like Jordan and Lebanon, has been phenotypically white washed over time by Europeans.

quote:

What you THINK doesn't matter at all, regarding their phenotype, especially since there is NO Near Eastern country with a "set" phenotype.

Ahed Tamimi for example, is Palestinian:
 -

Yet, these are Jordanian Bedouin Arabs, from the Dead Sea region:
 -
Those boys resemble King Tut. Bedouin Arabs

Or what about this boy from the Gaza strip, upholding the traditions of the indigenous peoples of that area?  -

Or this:  - The 8th century Umayyad Dynasty warriors and their general Maslama ibn Abd al- Malik portrayed by the Byzantines (Greco-Romans) in their Manassas Chronicle. The true Arabs never portrayed themselves, but their centuries long sworn enemies did. Maslama was a Prince, son of or descended from an Arab slave woman and son of the former Caliph Abdl el-Malik Marwan who was born in Medina, in the Hijaz of Arabia . He was "governor of the two Iraks", and famous for his invasion of Constantinople, Byzantines and Turkish Khazars. The Umayyads were replaced later by the Turko-Persian dominated Abassids who despised the dark color of the original Arab peoples. It was during these early fights with and early subjugation by the northern peoples Turks, Persians, Byzantines, etc. that developed among the Arabs a racial consciousness in which they called themselves "the blacks" and their fair-skinned enemies the "reds".

Posted by Tukuler (Member # 19944) on :

@ Snakepit1
Great post of phenotypes common to Sinai Palestine Jordan beduin since like forever!

- - -

quote:
quote:
quote:

Ophthalmology of the Pharaohs: Antimicrobial Kohl Eyeliner in Ancient Egypt

And Palestinians were big suppliers of the stuff.

Posted by -Just Call Me Jari- (Member # 14451) on :

"Middle Eastern looking" covers a wide range of looks from some light more Europid types like those found in Syria, Lebenon Jordan etc to darker Kushite types like the Socotri and Yemeni

If anything I think you mean the Egyptians had an intermediate look....

quote:
Show me where Middle East is included in a Eurocentric point of view based on the definition. You can't. smdh. I didn't bother reading your entire reply because frankly you are still in your feelings.

Posted by -Just Call Me Jari- (Member # 14451) on :

Its pretty much an accepted fact that Ancient Egypt's culture largely came from the South and Western Desert AKA the Green Sahara. I dont see how saying Egypt is African is "Afrocentric" when that is what the Archeological data is pointing to. As far as the people and how they looked, Id assume there were Egyptians esp. in the Delta and North who resembled "Middle Eastern" people as Swenet said the populations in the Levant and Palestine overlap with Egypt and North Africa.

Yes, intermediate. I also posted a photo of what I think they looked like at least complexion wise.

quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:
"Middle Eastern looking" covers a wide range of looks from some light more Europid types like those found in Syria, Lebenon Jordan etc to darker Kushite types like the Socotri and Yemeni

If anything I think you mean the Egyptians had an intermediate look....

quote:

Any comments on this in terms of color contrast? Constrast between West Asians and AEs

Any comments on this in terms of color contrast? What did Ancient Israelites Look Like

Posted by sudaniya (Member # 15779) on :

The ancient Egyptians in the South (where the civilization sprang from) had skin-complexions like the Beja in Sudan and South-Eastern Egypt - as demonstrated by most of the art work. The Southern Egyptians created all the material components of AE civilization and were the demographic majority until the New Kingdom Period.

The idea that Palestinians resemble the AE more than Northeast Africans is absurd and is disproven by the bulk of the art work.

quote:
Thank you! see how easy that was, Oshun? lmao

I'll keep in mind for future reference that conversations with you spanning more than a few sentences might well be above your attention span or comprehension. Very sorry. Oh wait was this too many words?

-

Posted by Fourty2Tribes (Member # 21799) on :

I've seen one report of Egyptians using sun screens compared to too many material examples of baby oils, shae butter and afro picks to list.

Again, how to interpret this? Farming in Ancient Egypt for Kids

Posted by Ish Gebor (Member # 18264) on :

quote:
I ran into a eurocentrist video that purports ancient Egyptians used sunscreen to protect their skin. Is this true?

These are somewhat funny articles and of course there is no solid evidence for this. It's more so air babble. It makes you wonder why the eurocetrics don't use that formula now, since it worked so much better oppose to all these modern day chemical sunblockers. What they don't mention is that sunblockers also block the absorption of vitamin-D.

quote:
"The first record of sun protection began with the Egyptians, who used ingredients such as rice bran, jasmine, and lupine.1 Though they did not understand the harmful effects the sun has on the skin, they did understand the concept of tanning."
jamanetwork.com/data/Journals/DERM/934706/dnn150031.pdf.gif]jamanetwork.com

jamanetwork.com/journals/jamadermatology/

quote:
People have sought to protect their skin from the sun since early times when the ancient Egyptians used the first sunscreens, which were developed from minerals.1 Today, armed with the knowledge that excessive sun exposure leads to skin cancers and premature ageing of the skin, the promotion of sun protection is the primary preventative health strategy for skin care.
Educational-Series-Sunscreen-Update-II-AU

quote:
MELANOMA, CAUCASIANS AND ANCIENT EGYPTIAN-AFRICA

[...]

“The history of observation of human exposure to the sun and its effects dates around 1500 BC in Egypt… The ancient Egyptians used inorganic clays and mineral powders to protect their skin.” (Science VOL. 95, NO. 3; 2008)

melanoma-caucasians-and-ancient-egyptian-africa

This is how ancient Egypt portrayed themselves, as can be seen in the Book of Gates rendition; with text that reads RMTYW (Remetu, ie Egyptians) although the garb is NHSW (Nehesi, ie 'Nubian').

-

So according to them for example Amenhotep III used tanning, and his lips started to swell as well, including the rest of his facial characteristics.

-

-

http://cartelfr.louvre.fr/cartelfr/visite?idNotice=11778&srv=car_not_frame

-

-

-

-

Melanin Dosage Tests: Ancient Egyptians

Materials and Methods

Determination of optimal rehydration, fixation and staining methods for histological and immunohistochemical analysis of mummified soft tissues

-- A-M Mekota1, M Vermehren2 Biotechnic & Histochemistry 2005, 80(1): 7_/13

Melanin Dosage Tests: Ancient Egyptians [DRAFT]

https://www.academia.edu/8742479/Melanin_Dosage_Tests_Ancient_Egyptians_DRAFT_

Determination of optimal rehydration, fixation and staining methods for histological and immunohistochemical analysis of mummified soft tissues

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10520290500051146

-

If we have to believe in eurocentric land ...

quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:
Its pretty much an accepted fact that Ancient Egypt's culture largely came from the South and Western Desert AKA the Green Sahara. I dont see how saying Egypt is African is "Afrocentric" when that is what the Archeological data is pointing to. As far as the people and how they looked, Id assume there were Egyptians esp. in the Delta and North who resembled "Middle Eastern" people as Swenet said the populations in the Levant and Palestine overlap with Egypt and North Africa.

Yes. Good you put Middle Eastern in quotes. One interesting thing coming out of the latest aDNA reports is that no African population alive can represent the majority component found in all ancient North African DNA. As you know, so far it's been described as Natufian-like. Eventually this component will be clarified as best approximating unsampled ancient Africans. But this component has to be factored in as playing a role in any overlap between later (dynastic era) Egyptians and Palestinians. So, in other words, the OP is not actually correct in the way he conceptualizes the overlap if he takes it beyond Palaeolithic genetic exchanges mostly in the direction from Africa to Eurasia. The fact that it's not living Eurasians (or living Africans), but ancient Y-DNA E carrying North Africans and Eurasians that are closest to this component shows that we're dealing with genetic exchanges involving old unsampled populations.

Be cautious about all that DNA stuff. The Eurocentrics will lie and put out fake data as they please because very few people have time to check their stuff. Most suffer form Black Derangement Syndrome.

The best way to appraise the AEs racially is to simply [b] observe how they portrayed themselves and other ethno-racial groups on their murals.

But there's one paper that is consistent with the visually empirical data and the way the Ancient Greeks(Herodotus, Aristotle, etc.) saw them.
https://www.theapricity.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-205248.html

quote:
Originally posted by lamin:
Be cautious about all that DNA stuff. The Eurocentrics will lie and put out fake data as they please because very few people have time to check their stuff. Most suffer form Black Derangement Syndrome.

The best way to appraise the AEs racially is to simply [b] observe how they portrayed themselves and other ethno-racial groups on their murals.

But there's one paper that is consistent with the visually empirical data and the way the Ancient Greeks(Herodotus, Aristotle, etc.) saw them.

Eurocentrism is mainly sponsered by the Koch Brothers.

And a “famous” white suprematist (Richard Spencer) said they don’t play fair.

Posted by Tukuler (Member # 19944) on :

-

A wise black, even Alek Wek, is advised to apply SPF 15+
if in direct outdoor summer sunlight for any length of time.

Oh those wise Egyptians.

quote:

why didn't you post the link?

V above is Beyonce--assumedly. Beyonce is not "dark brown". He color is not dark brown but olive/light brown. Have no idea what the tanning speed is for that.

Posted by the questioner (Member # 22195) on :

quote:

How about a better question. can you show us where a middle easterner (who was not trained by Europeans) claimed Egypt as middle eastern?
Im incline to agree with Oshun. Egypt being a middle eastern civilization is a European theory.

Modern Egyptians never claimed Egypt as their own until Europeans arrived there.

quote:
Originally posted by lamin:

unless we start doing our own digging, we will for ever be at the mercy of these racist archaeologist.

quote:
quote:

why didn't you post the link?
I didn't think to do that. Let me see if I still have the link in my history folder.

Original video to ancient Egypt and sunscreen:

link

quote:

link

I suspected it was this clown. For giggles. Ask him what “sunscreen factor” he is using.

quote:

link

The video doesn't identify an Egyptian text that say the purpose of a skin ointment was to protect form the sun

you can try to find it

here

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,33&q=ancient+egyptian+sunscreen

or here

https://www.google.com/search?q=egyptian+sunscreen&safe=off&client=firefox-b-1-ab&tbm=bks&ei=6gBrW9zZOIym_QbOpIC4AQ&start=20&sa=N&biw=956&bih=731&dpr=1.09

secondly, even if you find an Egyptian text saying that an ointment was used for sunscreen there were some Asiatic foreigners in Egypt so if there was sunscreen it doesn't all the people needed to use it

-
Tutankhamun

-
Relief, Scenes Depicting A Military Campaign By #Ramesses II Against The #Nubians. From Temple Of Beit el-Wali |

^^ see these to pictures? This shuts down the implications of the video without even having to say anything

That is why I posted this thread. The author of that video provided no evidence to their claim. I tend to agree with you. I don't think they used it. Plus even the people in that area of the world today do not use sunscreen or find need for it. So why would the historical people?

quote:
quote:

link

The video doesn't identify an Egyptian text that say the purpose of a skin ointment was to protect form the sun

you can try to find it

here

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,33&q=ancient+egyptian+sunscreen

or here

https://www.google.com/search?q=egyptian+sunscreen&safe=off&client=firefox-b-1-ab&tbm=bks&ei=6gBrW9zZOIym_QbOpIC4AQ&start=20&sa=N&biw=956&bih=731&dpr=1.09

secondly, even if you find an Egyptian text saying that an ointment was used for sunscreen there were some Asiatic foreigners in Egypt so if there was sunscreen it doesn't all the people needed to use it

-
Tutankhamun

-
Relief, Scenes Depicting A Military Campaign By #Ramesses II Against The #Nubians. From Temple Of Beit el-Wali |

^^ see these to pictures? This shuts down the implications of the video without even having to say anything

quote:
quote:

link

you can try to find it

here

or here

-
Tutankhamun

-

That is not the texture they gave Tut. I literally stood in front on his statues etc in Egypt. The image you’ve posted has high IOS-light, making the skintone lighter.

The most accurate complexion is is the following:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/new-evidence-shows-king-tut-tomb-may-have-its-own-chamber-secrets-180958470/

But it wouldn’t even change the narrative.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-