This is topic How to Dress in Cairo Away from Tourist Sites in forum Visiting Egypt at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002403

Posted by daria1975 (Member # 6244) on :

Hello,

I am travelling to Cairo next week with my Egyptian boyfriend to meet his family and do a bit of sightseeing. I have read a lot about what a woman should wear there, but still don't feel sure. I ask my boyfriend, and he says I can wear whatever I want because I am American. But when I asked about a specific outfit (long-sleeved buttoned up dark blouse and capri-style khaki pants) he made a face. I can't get a specific answer out of him. I want to be comfortable and respectful. I will be staying with his sister and her children (6-19 years old).

Are mid-calf skirts/pants OK?
Are T-shirts with sleeves almost to the elbow OK?

If it matters, I'm 37.

Thanks!

Susan

Posted by bob the dog (Member # 4691) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:
Hello,

I am travelling to Cairo next week with my Egyptian boyfriend to meet his family and do a bit of sightseeing. I have read a lot about what a woman should wear there, but still don't feel sure. I ask my boyfriend, and he says I can wear whatever I want because I am American. But when I asked about a specific outfit (long-sleeved buttoned up dark blouse and capri-style khaki pants) he made a face. I can't get a specific answer out of him. I want to be comfortable and respectful. I will be staying with his sister and her children (6-19 years old).

If it matters, I'm 37.

Thanks!

Susan

Susan your outfits sound perfect... if your boyfriend wants you to be respected he should approve of your suggestions!!
Its about 37deg here.. so..very cool cotton stuff is perfect!!
Have a lovely stay!

Posted by Penny (Member # 1925) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin:

Susan

Hi Susan

Yes this would be fine and perfectly respectable. I would also take a lightweight pashmina type scarf to keep in your bag so you can cover up a bit more anywhere where you feel uncomfortable.

T shirts are a bit clingy in the hot weather and you will find loose cotton or linen blouses are better.

Think about what you are going to wear in the home. Most Egyptians like to dress in comfortable clothes to relax at home. Think about some loose fitting dresses and go for modesty if the 19 year old is a boy.

Posted by daria1975 (Member # 6244) on :

Thanks for the tips! The two older children in the household are 17 and 19 and are girls. The boy is 6.

One thing crossed my mind, though, as far as staying with Samira (sister) and her family. What do I wear to and from the shower? I have no idea what their house is like. If it's small, I don't want to hog the one (?) bathroom by fully dressing in it after a shower. Is it OK to wear a long bathrobe back and forth to my bedroom? Samira's husband apparently is not home often, so that makes me feel more comfortable, but I'm paranoid about doing something wrong.

Thanks again!

Posted by akshar (Member # 1680) on :

It is quite normal to dress before you leave the shower. Nobody will mind you doing so, as said above have some loose around the house clothes. You may not be able to get hold of galabeyas before you come but a loose kaftan would be perfect.

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com