This is topic to all londoners in forum Visiting Egypt at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003662

Posted by doodlebut (Member # 11649) on :

Ok I don't even know if "Londoners" is a word.

Anyhooo...I have an 8 hour layover in late December at Heathrow before I continue on to Cairo.

What to do?

I am thinking that with the strict security and all it will realistically only be about 4 to 5 hours that I'll have to go explore.

Never been outside of the US. Matter of fact never been much out of Boston save for the Caribbean and some other New England states.

Suggestions?

Posted by cHiMpSs (Member # 11270) on :

I WUD SUGGEST U DONT LEAVE HEATHROW REALLY I THINK U HAVE TO GET A BUS INTO THE HEART OF THE CITY AND TRAFFIC IS HORRENDOUS NOT GUARENTEED OR EVEN BY TUDE TO GET BCK ON TIME ,BUT THERE IS ALOT OF SHOPS AND THINGS TO EXSPLORE IN HEATHRWOW AND BELEIVE ME U WILL BE TIRED AND U WONT WANT TO BEWALKING AROUND AFTER UR FLIGHT ,,GOOD LUCK SAFE JOURNEY .......IM NOT ALONDONER IM A PETERBOROIAN ,

Posted by sunburnt (Member # 4986) on :

I dont think you can leave the airport when you have a stopover, I could be wrong.

Posted by Tigerlily (Member # 3567) on :

Any possibility you could fly out from London after two days or so then you would be able to get some sight-seeing done? It's really worth it.

Posted by Ayisha (Member # 4713) on :

6-8 hours in London? Hmmm might be enough time to jump on a train to central London, fight the trafic and crowds and rush back again [Frown]

seriously, unless you have anyone meeting you who knows London then dont leave the airport! London is hectic at the best of times and a real pain to get round unless you really know where you are going.

Posted by cHiMpSs (Member # 11270) on :

YES I AGREE DONT LEAVE THE AIPRPORT ITS ALOT BUSYIER THAN WHAT YOU THINK AND IF YOU DONT NO LONDON THEN U CUD GET ON THE WRONG BUS OR THE WRONG TUBE OR GET LOST IN THE CROWDS I GET LOST ALL THE TIME AND I TRAVEL TO GREAT ORMOND STREET HOSPITAL QUITE OFTEN YOU D THINK IM NO THIS OFF THE BCK OF MY HAND BUT I HAVE STILL GOT LOST GOD KNOWS WHY ,,,IM STILL TRYING TO THINK NOW ....
HONESTLY U WILL FEEL TIRED IT TAKES A GOOD FEW RS ANY WAY JUST TO EXSPLORE HEATHROW AIRPORT ....

Posted by akshar (Member # 1680) on :

I used to live at Ealing which is very close to Heathrow and there are plenty of interesting places just around Heathrow if you are allowed out of the airport.

One I recommend is only 40 minutes drive, Syon Park http://www.syonpark.co.uk/ We used to go there a lot, it has the house itself, a garden and lots of other attractions like a Butterfly House. You also have Kew Gardens http://www.kew.org/ again about 40 minutes from Heathrow, and Osterley Park http://www.osterleypark.org.uk/

You could go the other way and visit Windsor, the castle http://www.windsor.gov.uk/attractions/castle.htm and the town http://www.windsor.gov.uk/, Eton college http://www.etoncollege.com/Splash.asp is just across the bridge

Don't get a black cab to take you but a minicab, you can look telephone numbers on www.192.com

I agree going into central london would be a nightmare but there is no reason you shouldn't see something.

Posted by satanmademedoit (Member # 11766) on :

You can easy discover some of London it that time. I have done it many times. Just check that the stopover rules have not changed recently and remember to allow at least 2 hours to recheck back in for your continuing flight.

This is a great Park www.royalparks.gov.uk/parks/hyde_park/
and if cold..there are plenty of small welcoming cafes,pubs and restaurants around the perimeter to visit.

The tube is by far the cheapest,most frequent and quickest way to reach central London.
www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/

Yes,there are shops in Heathrow but are basically overpriced gash designer shops.

Remember also that the restaurant prices are inflated.
www.heathrowairport.com/

Whatever you choose,have fun!

yeah , have fun and good luck and WELCOME TO ENGLAND [Big Grin]

Posted by ExptinCAI (Member # 1439) on :

I'd check to see if you are even allowed out of the security area as a transit passenger. Definitely you will have to take care about the rules/regulations. Flying Heathrow-Cairo, you cannot take any liquids, gels, creams, or cosmetics but you can take a few disposable sealed contact lenses. You can also buy stuff in duty free at heathrow for your journey to Cairo. On bflying back, Cairo-heathrow and heathrow-USA will have different restrictions. You won't be able to buy any liquids, even in the duty free for the US leg of the journey in Heathrow, but you will be able to for the cairo-heathrow. check what restrictions cairo - heathrow leg has on ba.com

also check
www.baa.com (who run all the airports in the UK)

Yeah those things aren't allowed on the flight to London either. I think maybe it's because I'm flying British Airways and maybe they just make their rules the same as if you are flying out of Heathrow.

Well now I'm scared to go out lest I miss the flight. Are there any places to rest within the security area or am I gonna look like all those people you see on t.v. sleepin' in my chair? lol

Posted by Automatisch für die Leute (Member # 7291) on :

quote:
Originally posted by doodlebut:
Ok I don't even know if "Londoners" is a word.

Anyhooo...I have an 8 hour layover in late December at Heathrow before I continue on to Cairo.

What to do?

I am thinking that with the strict security and all it will realistically only be about 4 to 5 hours that I'll have to go explore.

Never been outside of the US. Matter of fact never been much out of Boston save for the Caribbean and some other New England states.

Suggestions?

Once on my way to Cairo, using BA, I had a 10 hour transit in London so I decided to take the tube and head for the city. I walked around and had lunch and stuff and somewhere around the queen palace or something like that I dropped my passport and had to spend two day in London. They actually found the passport and called the embassy.

Those two days turned out to be the best part of the entire trip!

After I got back I went through the who episode in my head I believe the police had the passport all along and notified BA immediately while I was running around in taxis between the airport,police and the embassy to make sure my luggage don't leave without me and to get a new passport issued......

Posted by Tigerlily (Member # 3567) on :

I missed my return flight back to Cairo twice with Allitalia, once I wasn't fast enough coming from East London heading to Heathrow. The second time on another day the tube striked - poor me - the traffic was ridiculous, I took a cab and got charged a horrendous fee - and still didn't make it on time for check-in.

Allitalia was fabulous, they never charged me anything extra ..... and actually somehow I didn't want to leave London this time because of personal reasons. [Wink]

Posted by ExptinCAI (Member # 1439) on :

you can take the 15 min heathrow express to paddington station, but really by the time you get there, catch a train, etc it's more like 30 min each way. then once you're at paddington, another 20 min to get to anywhere in central london by tube/taxi, lol. it seems it take 20 min no matter what. easy touristy things from paddington train station would be: walk through regents park, baker street/madame trousau's wax museum, shopping on bond street/oxford street.

just take taxis instead of the tube because you will be jet-lagged and a bit dazed/confused and might get yourself turned around and lost on the tube. as long as you stay within central london and within 1/2 hr of paddington train station, then you can always jump on the heathrow express. it's about 15 pounds each way usually but you can get a day-meet-n-greet round trip ticket that's almost the same (when you make a round trip in one day)

Posted by Mr Small (Member # 7071) on :

You can not do London justice in 8 weeks,let alone 8 hours.I suggest you find a pub in the airport,get a beer,kick back and start planning a real trip to the UK.

P.S. Yes,londoners is a proper term.

Posted by NotSleeplessInCairo (Member # 8452) on :

quote:

What to do?

See how much of the Tom Hank movie "The Terminal" you can recreate ... be sure to video it for me!!

is that where it was filmed? i'll have to watch it now. lol

Posted by mac0623 (Member # 10529) on :

londoners are shandy drinkers

quote:
Originally posted by mac0623:

so bravely said from behind a computer [Cool] [Big Grin]

have got some good friends from there and they are not same as us all my friends from the south say the best nights out are in nottingham and north wards.and they are still SHANDY DRINKERS [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

quote:
have got some good friends from there and they are not same as us all my friends from the south say the best nights out are in nottingham and north wards.and they are still SHANDY DRINKERS [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

[Eek!] well I am from Nottingham and I know NO shandy drinkers. [Big Grin]

Ok I don't drink but what's a "shandy" drinker?

Posted by MyKingdom (Member # 8356) on :

quote:

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner,
That I love Heineken soooo..

Maybe It's because I'm a Londoner,
That I think of beer, wherever I gooooo..

I getta a funny fee.. ling.. inside .. of .. WWWeeee..

When I'm sipp.. hick.. in up 'n dowwwwwwnnn.

Mayeb it's because IIII'm a..

What was I again?? [Confused]

Goodnight and happy fasting everyone. [Big Grin]

well I am from Nottingham and I know NO shandy drinkers.............

thats because there all in london and where they belong [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Posted by oldbag (Member # 9889) on :

quote:

Well I'm from London and I don't know anyone who drinks shandy.

quote:
Ok I don't drink but what's a "shandy" drinker?

In this case I think its meant to be a derogatory term implying that 'southerners are softies' and can't take real hard man drinks.

Shandy:

shandy = a mix of beer or lager with lemonade (clear fizzy white lemonade, not non-fizzy lemon juice just to be clear!)

You can have 'beer shandy' or 'lager shandy'. The proportion of lemonade varies according to taste. When I was a kid, we were allowed it - but then it was mainly lemonade with a shot of beer or lager.

A drink which a lot of people used to have was a 'lager top' - a pint of lager with a squirt of lime juice in it. Not seen anyone have it for a long time now.

you got it,they dont go out ,home for 9pm,dont know how to laugh and joke quite people full of them selfs LOL [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

[Frown] [Frown]

quote:
you got it,they dont go out ,home for 9pm,dont know how to laugh and joke quite people full of them selfs LOL [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

but at least us southern softies can hold a drink in a glass without handles [Smile]

Hey mac,if you northerners are so good at drinking how come the first brewery in england is,let me see,oh yes,faversham,KENT.About as far south as you can get.Maybe they thought you flat capped whippet loving butty munchers could not handle it for a few more years then.LOL.

no iam not a northerner they are another story.
yes mr small some where in kent there is a lemonade factory [Big Grin]

Posted by ian475 (Member # 11095) on :

i am a shandy drinker!

i like the whisky what does that make me

Posted by biker_babe (Member # 11108) on :

I like whiskey, but I'm a northerner too! Curious to hear that story!!!! [Big Grin] [Razz] [Big Grin]

"no iam not a northerner they are another story"

If not a northener then maybe a carrot cruncher or a pasty popper then?

no from nottingham middle of the road [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I guess our non-Brit readers are now completely bemused and wonder why we hijacked this thread [Wink]

quote:
i like the whisky what does that make me

A whisky mac springs to mind - pass the ginger ale...

i like mine with orange,,,not lemonade ,i will leave that to the londoners now we are back on track of the londoners

Posted by Shareen (Member # 989) on :

If we Notts'ers arent shandy drinkers, or carrot crunchers, or pasty poppers..... then what exactly are we?????

THE BEST

Posted by WOTEVER (Member # 11942) on :

MUFFIN MUNCHERS OR SHEEP SHAGGERS???

no your way out,thats to the west of me

Posted by Shareen (Member # 989) on :

quote:
THE BEST

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

BUNNY BOILERS

Posted by maryanne (Member # 9311) on :

Well iam from surrey south east London..The posh part...LOL..If you want to come to London to see the sites..be very careful London is no place of Milk and honey..Watch out for people on the subways trying to sell you cheap tickets..lol...oh dont use the circle line(London underground) it is crazy i swear..By all accounts London is an ok city..you find lots to see..

OHHH LAH DEE DAH. I THINK ALL THE TUBE LINES ARE TERRIBLE ESPECIALLY THE NORTHEN LINE. THIS TIME OF YEAR DELAYS ARE USUALLY DUE TO LEAVES ON THE TRACKS.

Posted by maryanne (Member # 9311) on :

The Northern line is pretty dam good compared to others.Yes generally serve delays are due to bad signal failtures or leaves on tracks..A friend of mine used to work for London understand she said when they say trains delays,they dont mean bad signals failtures,but more like one understand. [Frown]

The Northern Line is good????????

My mother used it recently and the office that she was going to let staff be late up to 45 minutes.

Circle line is one of the better services, that I've used.

Posted by BANANA FACE., rolling the weed ... (Member # 11270) on :

CIRCLE LINE IS GOOD IF UR NOT FROM THE CITY AND UR VISITING IT ,I FOUND IT OK FOR ME ,AND FOR THIS DAYING THE TRACKS ARE SHITE U NEED TO TALK WIF MY BROTHER HE WRKS BLESS HIM LIKE A DEATH TRAP JUST TO KEEP THEM SHITY SHUTTLES GOING SO LETS HAVE A THOUGHT WHO DO TRY TO MAINTAIN THEM THEY ARE NOT ALL BAD ...UHM OK ...

When they eventually get back from their tea breaks [Razz]

I agree the engineers and the drivers do a great job.

my brother now TRAIN DRIVES THE GNER FROM EDINBRGH TO LONDON ,,,,NOW ,TRAINING FOR STATION COPS ..HE ONLY WRKS 3DAYS ON CUS THEY R STRICT WIF TRAIN DRIVERS ,BUT HAS RECENTLY BEEN HELPING TO MAINTAIN THE TRACKS LEADING IN AND OUT ,AND ITS HARD MOST OF THE TIME SOME WRKING A 15HOUR SHIFT ,,YES HE TELLS ME SOME SLACK ,AND HE HATES THAT BUT BLEIEVE ME THEY ARE SEVERELY PUNIHSED ,WE ARE A LL WRKING FAMILY THAT FOR OVER 100 YEARS HAS WRKED THE TRACKS MY GREAT GRANDAD WAS CALLED HERE TO MAINTAIN THEM WHEN THE TROOPWERE OUT AT WAR ,,,I SHUD FIND SOME PICS AND PASTE THEM ...THE WOMEN USED TO PICK THE BRICKS OFF THE RAILWAY LINES ,ANY ONE RECAL MEMORIES ,...IF U WA SEGYPTIAN OR OF ARAB OR MUSLIM CLASS THAT WAS BROUGHT HERE ...LIKE TO KNOW ..THANX ..

OHHHHHHHHH AND WOTEVER ME BRUVVER HE EARNS A TIDY SUM,,,
D http://i14.tinypic.com/29z1l01.jpg

MY BROTHER WAVING ,LOL LOL

I Imagine he does cos of the hours he works hats off to him.

Most of the arabs that came to england were on the royal naval ships, from Zanzibar, Berbers, Egyptians etc during the 1700 and 1800's. My heritage is in the greenwich foot tunnel that my ancestors helped to construct. I traced family originating from Zanzibar and Egypt, it's getting exciting as I go on.

oi oi oi remember WOTEVER IM MIXED RACE lol MY brother is english irish hes from my mothers second marriage ,but hey loved the reply will show him this heheheheh ,DURKHA DURKHA JIHAD lol lol lol
my granfather,s from my fathers side are of italian arab decenct i still aint got a clue where my indian part comes into this i know as afamily we imigrated to the lands of africa but really im so stunned i aint got much clue its so hard to trace a lot fo my dads side cause there is hardly any one alive now and then they did alot wif out papers u get me ,so difficult i get stressed from this cause sometimes i feel im the black sheep of the family now ,i stick out like a sore thumb ,
yes my brother is a good worker i agree with you i give my hats off to him he was only unemplyed for a day since he lfet school he is now 29 ....groovey hey ,
i wish i cud trace my family it wud be lovely i have a sister she will be 37 this year she was born on xmas day here i have never ever seen her , i think of her every day sincei found out i buy xmas card they sit in a shoe box until i can find her i got norcap doing this for me i got her birth certificate now but they say they have drawn a blank at this time i dont know any more ,thanks for reply it made me chucckle ...

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com