This is topic Attention Crocodile! in forum Visiting Egypt at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003670

Posted by Tigerlily (Member # 3567) on :

A good reason to stay out of the Nile

September 20 2006 at 01:53PM

Cairo - Egyptian police were scouring the waters of the Nile on Wednesday for a crocodile which plunged into the river after fleeing from a tourist complex, a security source said.

Three crocodiles made their escape from the riverside Pharaoh Village tourist attraction while they were being transferred between cages on Tuesday, panicking local fishermen, the source said.

Two were recaptured by river police but a third, about 1,2m long, was still eluding police after disappearing into the depths of the Nile.

The tourist village had been keeping the reptiles illegally. - Sapa-AFP

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?art_id=qw1158748201128B221

Posted by *Souri* (Member # 9095) on :

I read somewhere that there are some crocodiles on the Nile,

when I was in Cairo and said that to my Egyptian friends they were laughing at me, saying that I have been watching too much Horror movies, well I’m going to send them this article right now

Posted by paulistano (Member # 11919) on :

quote:
Originally posted by *Souri*:
I read somewhere that there are some crocodiles on the Nile,

when I was in Cairo and said that to my Egyptian friends they were laughing at me, saying that I have been watching too much Horror movies, well I’m going to send them this article right now

the nile was full of crocodiles all along.....
but since the high dam in Asswan was built in 1960...
they were stranded in the Nasser lake to the south..
they cann`t cross to the north ...
so...nothing to worry about..

however...in nubia...there are still crocodiles..
but their size isn`t what you been watching on movies..
and they mainly feed on fish from the Nasser lake..

so...buttom line...north of asswan..no crocodiles...
this pharaonic village is in Giza ...
and as was mentioned...
crocodiles were being kept in cages...
illegally..

Posted by Luxorlover (Member # 4457) on :

I have been told that there are cayman in some of the canals in Luxor. These have been bought probably as pets, or to impress people into thinking that they were baby crocodiles, and then they have been released when they have become too big to handle. However, as I have never seen one then I cannot swear that this is true.

quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:
I have been told that there are cayman in some of the canals in Luxor. These have been bought probably as pets, or to impress people into thinking that they were baby crocodiles, and then they have been released when they have become too big to handle. However, as I have never seen one then I cannot swear that this is true.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
it is true..

quote:
Originally posted by paulistano:
quote:
Originally posted by Luxorlover:

YOU WERE TOLD THE TRUTH..
I SAW THEM... MY NIECE BOUGHT ONE.. AS SHE IS A VET SHE WAS INTERESTED ...SHE WAS THINKING THAT SHE CAN TAKE IT WITH HER TO BRAZIL..TO SHOW IT TO HER COLLEAGUES...BUT IT DIED FEW DAYS LATER IN CAIRO..
WE DIDN`T KNOW WHY...
THOSE NEVER LIVE TO BE CROCODILES ANY WAY...
THEY ARE NEVER DANGEROUS [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] ..

Posted by Luxorlover (Member # 4457) on :

I thought that Cayman were related to Aligators and were very dangerous when they grew large.

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com