This is topic plants in egypt in forum Living in Egypt at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=009566

Posted by Charm El Feikh? (Member # 10243) on :

what plants do you guys have in egypt.

indoors and out.

i saw plenty of dracaena and umbrella plants and canary island ivy and yuccas in the hotels.... but what about in the average house?

are house plants as popular there as they are in the UK?

is it difficult to keep your garden watered in the summer. i hope i can grow stuff over there.

what fruit and veg do you grow?

Posted by Semsema (Member # 5415) on :

Most of the plants are just greenery. No pansies, daffodiles, tulips etc to buy the bulbs and grow your own. No house plants don't seem to be that popular. Not difficult to keep them watered in summer, just keep your spare water, not washing up water though, and use that to water the flowers.

I don't grow fruit and veg, only have a balcony!

thanks... i have a spectacular garden and my house plants are a passion! i also have a huge allotment for all my organic fruit and veg. i would love to grow as much as i possibly can in egypt... dont mind changing what i grow to suit the climate... actually im looking forward to the challenge!!!

Posted by mac0623 (Member # 10529) on :

my advice here ,is to get some rearly lovely plastic ones,and sit back nad think of another football team you can follow,i know its not the best advice,but i think its good advice,

LOL!!!! yes Mac, i think you could be right!!!!

oh wait.... ive just thought..... i could get a man in to do it and sit back and watch that instead!!!!!

ah but from what i read,and see between the lines,WOULD HE DO IT RIGHT

P/S,I WAS LAUGHING WHEN I TYPED THAT

probably not.... i might enjoy training him up though!!! lol!!

UMMMMMMMMMM

i guess by now someone wants to PLANT you one on,,pardon the pun

Posted by Learner (Member # 9153) on :

plants are like something you care for but that you don't have to be careful for all the time.

When you leave a plant, you know it'll still be there when you come back and look for it.

And it makes no mess in the house like some animal.

And a plant that grows like you wanted it always turns one proud

A plant not suffering the weather, you can leave your plant outside when it's rainy or when a storm is on

Posted by citizen (Member # 1344) on :

Charm you're unlikely to have a garden in Egypt unless you are earning loads and can rent a villa. You can have a very green balcony though.

lerner.... i was actually typing you a message about the new name when i had a phone call.... things are just a little toooo strange. i think its you!!!!

by the way, this morning i re potted and pruned a boston fern........ they make the most mess you can imagine!!!!!

citizen, ive checked out the property prices, i will be able to afford a nice house out there... i will get an awful lot for my london house when i sell it....i have to have a gardenfor me and the kids,.. but i might have a balcony too!!!!

Posted by Karena (Member # 9835) on :

Charm can I be your gardner, you will have to teach me which flower is what and what is a weed [Big Grin] As where I live we have a communal garden and a gardner.... Aww how I would love a balcony [Smile]

no karena.... but you can sip some ice cold GnT with me while we watch the man i hire.

what shall we go for.... young, fleshy muscle bound mid 20 something....
or a doubled over old pensioner?

im very partial to alan titchmarsh myself!!!!

I think we will drink our ice cold GnT whilst watching Alan Titchmarsh tending your garden, I think he might be the safest bet dont't you. I think we might just fight over the young, fleshy muscle bound mid 20 something and
the doubled over old pensioner will double over even more and collapse in a heap whilst mowing your extensive lawn. Cheers!!!!

karena...... i love Alan Titchmarsh. im not joking. how about alan AND the youngster!!!!

karena.... i guess you missed this thread...
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001271

No I had seen your thread and I know you lurve Alan. OK you can have Alan and I will have the youngster, does that sound fair to you !!!!!!

[Cool] ... ice n a slice with that????!!!!

1 bootle or 2 (each)!!!!!

Posted by Penny (Member # 1925) on :

If you are seriously planning a garden then you have got to have bourganvillier and hibiscus, also verbena and jasmine do well. Catcus are excellent, mine survive on total neglect on a very hot balcony.
There are also lots of lovely grasses that do well. There are several good places to buy plants just outside the Old market. Much more exciting than any garden centre in the UK.

Of course I hope you know why the plants all grow so well....it's what's in the water [Wink]

i know... i was the crazy lady that wanted to be taken to 'the plant shop with the big bow on it' d'you know it???

whats in the water!!!!!!????

You'll have to buy soil first. There's no soil in Sharm, just sand. I would seriously advise you NOT to sell your house in London until you're sure you want to settle in Sharm. It's a huge risk with 4 kids. Work is not that easy to come by and neither are good schools. You can rent your house in London and rent something in Sharm rather than selling. There are lots of places for rent, even villas in the front row on the cliff top

quote:
Originally posted by citizen:
You'll have to buy soil first. There's no soil in Sharm, just sand. I would seriously advise you NOT to sell your house in London until you're sure you want to settle in Sharm. It's a huge risk with 4 kids. Work is not that easy to come by and neither are good schools. You can rent your house in London and rent something in Sharm rather than selling. There are lots of places for rent, even villas in the front row on the cliff top

Totally agree Citizen what people forget is that the property market may appear to be boomimg but that is centred around a mini market created by the new developments. Second hand properties are not so easy to sell especially the more expensive ones and then also remember you have got to find a buyer with a hard currency as a million EG pounds is not going to be much use to you back in the UK. A Uk rent on a London house is going to make it possible to find a very nice rental property in Sharm and you need to live here for at least 6 months before making any final decisions.

Schools are not such a problem if you can afford the private fees but X 4 children is going to be alot on one Egyptian salary.

Charm use your imagination about the water!! and yes I know the shop you mean was just lovely down there at Christmas time.

thanks penny... i know the fees are a lot! i plan to educate at home for a year and take it from there. i should be able to buy a nice house out there and another villa to rent as a holiday villa, i hope this will subsidise my income. i plan to freelance fitness instruct out there also but i have to work out child care.... still i seems theres lots of egy men looking for a free ride so it might be easy... ITS A JOKE!!!

i was interested in the bit about the secondary market.... i would be interested in looking at buying one of these, if its cheaper. i dont care if its not brand new, im going for the life, not the bricks and mortar.

piggy the schools out there are very good indeed.a new one is just being built in front of where mr smalls place is next to the water park.penny advice to every on seems sit tight,then why has penny brought????????

also the renting is very good

mac the schools are good i know... but id have to pay the fees for a year in advance, and i need to have residency papers etc.... then id have to save just under £200 a week from then on to pay for next years fees!!!!

i have to sell here... i want to cut all ties with kids dad (financial ties) and start again. i wont invest everything... dont think i need to, prices are soooo cheap out there.

residencey is not a problem my friends children school,i dont think is that much,on buying to rent out for investment terms is good but knowing where,cheap doesnt mean good value.as in nabqa at the moment is good prices 4800le per sqr mtr but renting wise not very good

school fees are between £8 and £10 per day. i pay more than that here to put my son in Montessori nursery. its good value over there... but i have 4 kids so that adds up.

i will be renting in hadaba to begin with... but id just like to buy ASAP and get on with life.

never heard of that resort piglet which way is it.land is good value my friend is the manager of hsbc he brought land and built two apartments on it for 20k in nabqa

Gosh Mac ( does that indicate scottish origins?) not every decision in life is about making money. I bought quite sometime ago because of personal life decisions. I may have made a large paper profit but as I have no plans to move I will not realise it. Charm is making her choices because she wants to change her life and your hard sell approach to property does not fit in with that. Life is very different here and not everbody is suited to it. Hence why citizen and I suggest she rents before making such a big commitment to sell her UK property.

the one in my PM? its not a resort its the actual stretch of beach!

quote:
Originally posted by mac0623:
never heard of that resort piglet which way is it.land is good value my friend is the manager of hsbc he brought land and built two apartments on it for 20k in nabqa

Mac for gods sake a foreigner can't buy land in Sinia. You say you know Sharm but dont know Hadaba..well its the main european residential area and the best place for Charm to start off.

two things there penny no hard sell,and not a scots,irish,got nice green eyes and a good smile,and loves to laugh.then what ever comes in life is a bonus and up to yet carnt complain,but you do know your plants

penny, thanks. i kind of have to sell my house. i want to cut all ties with my kids dad. i want to give him enough to buy somewhere small (not in london) so my kids have somewhere to go to visit him during the holidays and i want to leave london anyway. i wont invest every penny (ha ha penny) into egypt, if it all goes wrong and i came home id go back home to scotland where i would still have enough to buy somewhere there. im not in a huge rush, im coming out to rent first anyway.

penny let start again calm down.if pig found the land she wants i will get her and thats a promise pig. like i told you penny the other day in life its not what you know its WHO ,I HAVE NEVER TURNED DOWN ANYONES OFFER OF HELP IN MY LIFE.AND I WILL NOT START NOW,COS PENNY IF I HAD WHAT SEEMS TO BE YOUR OUT LOOK I WOULD CLOSE MY LAP TOP AND LIVE THE NINE TILL FIVE RAT RACE,WHICH I LEFT YEARS AGO ,PENNY YOU GOT LOT TO LEARN OUT IN THAT AREA OF THE WORLD

NO NOT BEEN TO THAT BEACH PIG WILL WILL MAKE A POINT OF GOING WHEN IAM BAVK IN THE NEAR FUTURE I LIKE TO GET OUT AND ABOUT.DRIVING THERE IS A BREEZE SO YES I WILL GO AND SEE----WHERE DID YOU BUY PENNY I WILL TRY AND AVOID IT IF I CAN..LOL [Big Grin]

mac... you must have misunderstood my PM. the stretch of beach cant be built on, its purely a money spinner... daytime activities and night time too.
i would consider buying land and building but i know nothing about it. i was just going to come out to look into it a bit more. either way im relocating my family for the way of life, but that wont stop me looking for pies out there!!!

ONE THING IS GOOD WE ARE LOOKING AT IS THE FURNITURE IN TO SHARM NOW,I HAVE SOME WESTERN FRIENDS THERE WHICH IMPORT WHISKY SO A BAR IS BEING LOOKED AT NOW AND A GAS STATION NEAR THE AIR PORT,AS THEY ARE MOVING THE ROAD WHICH GOES TO THE AIR PORT.WHAT YOU ARE SAYING SOUNDS GOOD WITH SOME THOUGHT I CAN SEE A OPENING FOR THAT.AND YOUR COST AT THE MOMENT PIG IS ABOUT 1300LE SQR MTR TO BUILD PLUS LAND

PENNY AT WHAT POINT DID I SAY I DONT KNOW HADABA I HAVE SIX APARTMENTS THERE,JESUS WOMAN READ IT WAS THE BLOODY BEACH I DONT KNOW,BUT DO NOW

quote:
Originally posted by mac0623:
PENNY AT WHAT POINT DID I SAY I DONT KNOW HADABA I HAVE SIX APARTMENTS THERE,JESUS WOMAN READ IT WAS THE BLOODY BEACH I DONT KNOW,BUT DO NOW

Do you know Mac westerners like you make me sick, you have no respect for the law of the country, no respect for the religion with your friends importing whisky, and no respect for the culture. You give westerners a bad name and just want to come here to make a quick buck and kid yourself you are making it a better place, how exactly is beyond me, you take but put nothing back. I wish people like you would just bugger off and play in Spain.

Don't worry our paths will not cross as I do not move in your circles.

Charm if you wish to put your trust in the luck of the Irish then good luck to you but I am sure as a Scot are canny enough to work things out for yourself.

penny.... i trust my best friend, his name is trigger and hes my collie.

you know i think you two have just got your wires crossed...

penny, i had a PM conversation with mac... he then posted here he didnt know 'it', i can see how you thought he meant hadaba... it wasnt that.

and its a little unfair to judge someone on what their friends do. if i was judged on mine.... OMG!!!

Mac.... chill out with the capital letters.... you make me feel like im a deaf person being shouted at!!!!!!!

you two remind me of one of my favorite sayings...

'in for a penny, in for a pound'! he he.

everyone has different motivations in life... different doesnt mean bad. we all have a niche to fill. i like whiskey and plants!!! (blame my scottish blood)!!!

UMMMMMMM penny what to do firstly i think the biggest whisky drinkers are not the scots,irish,its the arab world,for me they can do as they please every one to there own i say .i have many friends over in the middle east from all creeds i get on with them all, wat they do and drink has been going on before i came along,as for my friend who exports he is very respectable person,as for me i speak arabic respective of all my friends culture,prey time ,and when in ramadam will never drink ,smoke,and even took the water out my pool,so please dont preach respect to me,and penny you would find it very hard live my live,as your job,let me see you look after the people who want to get out of paying there tax and saving them even more money,you see penny i have met hundreds who do your job and not one is different,i guess just like a chef really they cook food, you cook the books you seem to attack me for no reason,and with out reason,i think thats it for now,

boy do i FEEL BETTER,YES PIGGGGGYYYY I FEEL LIKE SHOUTING LOL [Big Grin]

we need sign language smilies!!!!

OI!!!! PLANTS!!!!

[Wink] [Razz] [Mad] [Embarrassed] [Frown] [Roll Eyes] [Cool] [Smile] that better

and you think im crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!

who said such a thing?

wat thing

So, Charm, you're going to work to support your 4 kids and homeschool them too? How will you find the time? If you have to sell your London house, buy another one somewhere and live off the rental income.

i appreciate the concern citizen... but im a clever girl.... ive got it all worked out!!! [Wink]

Posted by TheWesternDebt2Islam aka Ki$$ aka K (Member # 7854) on :

she obvioulsy has a another source of income that she does not want to reveal [Wink]

she not a keen "gardner" for no reason....

dont forget the UV lights for ur new place in Sharm

sssssssssssshhhh!!!!!!!!

you ought to call your self DARK HOURSE

[Eek!]

oh stop with the boggle eyes.... you dont fool me for a second!!!

no your right carnt fool a pig.only eat it i like pork

Posted by hassanli (Member # 10683) on :

If we were to find a piece of land would I be able to plant oranges and citrus in the vacinty of Alexandria and outskirts?

I would like to have a apricot,peach, apples, nectarines, pomagranites. Are there many nurseries in the area?

Am I dreaming?

welcome to ES hasanli! i hope someone answers you... id like to have the same!

i think it might be too hot for peaches?

Posted by QueenBee (Member # 9378) on :

How about kumquats?

there seasonal [Eek!] [Big Grin]

i am currently watching my garden being trashed! im having building work and a 'designer' pond (its quite cool actually) pergola, decking and more lighting. but right now it looks like a muddy building site! i think theyve left a few blades of grass.... oh no, there they go!!!

not sure this is wise, i hope i get the costs back in the sale!!!

ooh... and a summer house... how could i forget that!?! no kids allowed!!!

Posted by Luxorlover (Member # 4457) on :

There is a Frenchman in Luxor who is working hard to re-introduce all the Mediterranean plants that have now died out in Luxor. He is doing trials in Luxor at the moment to see which ones will survive in intense heat of Upper Egypt.

Posted by aladdino28 (Member # 626) on :

Luxorlover,
who is that Frenchman and how to find him? for certain cooperation that is wahy i am asking.
thanks
you can give me his name and contact if you wish on my e-mail scarabee30@gawab.com
many thanks

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com