This is topic Where were you September 11, 2001? in forum Living in Egypt at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=011176

Posted by garfield (Member # 10258) on :

Do you remember what you were doing when you heard about September 11, 2001 and what it meant to you?

Posted by Tigerlily (Member # 3567) on :

I know exactly what I did, I was in Germany. It was about 3 p.m. and I was watching TV, my children were very little (2.5 and 1 year old) and playing on the living-room floor, I switched channels and suddenly saw the image on the screen I will never forget - the first airplane flying into the tower. At this time everyone thought it was still an accident which unfortunately didn't turn out to be. A very tragic day I'll never forget. I watched TV the next 24 hours to gather more information, I didn't go to sleep, I was just shocked and in disbelief. My husband lost a very dear friend in the attack of the Pentagon on the same day. [Frown]

Posted by cinematic (Member # 11514) on :

I was at home.. just came back from work & in the kitchen trying to prepare something to eat while my mom was screaming... "the world trade center is hiiiiiiiiit, come watch CNN".... I was like "leave me aloooooooooooone i'm eating.... is that some kind of sick joke??!!!"

Her screaming didn't stop so I had to go & see what it is that's worth screaming about.... since there is always false alarms at home [Big Grin]

Then I saw that scene of the buildings falling one after the other & I thought it was the making of a new Speilberg movie.
Then it hit me that it was real & shocking & sad.
I felt depressed for a long time after that

Posted by Lazeez (Member # 10655) on :

Good to remember, better to learn a lesson and best to treat other tragic events equally. The world isn't all about Americans.

Posted by Albino_Eskimo (Member # 11479) on :

I was at school. I had been engaged for a few months.

My former college is pretty darn liberal. But I saw how the theater auditorum crowd reacted.

You know how you pick your seat in a crowded public area according to your social comfort with different socio-economic ethnic groups? Well that day was a perfect example.

Most of us didn't know what was happening when we went into the auditorum to sit down, but who we chose to sit down proved alot of our subconscious motives.

Some people chose to get up and move closer to a group of people from their own group classification.

I tried to console a woman of obvious Pakistani descent. She is unveiled like most Pakistanis and very much in western garb. She hissed at me and said "America deserves this".

But in return my classmates from East Africa Christian and Muslim crowded around me and gave me a hug. These ladies knew of my engagment and wanted to make sure I was okay. I let them know that they are here on American soil and completing their education and they all will become citizens soon too. What I feel is what they feel. They are as much American as I am.

The Native American students were the most perturbed. The vast majority of them blamed the US government's involvement with the House of Saud. I always suspected that information of a more honest nature is passed around reservations and Native cultural centers, so I know that they had a much more accurate picture of what was happening.

When we saw the video footage of the pentagon with a smoldering hole in which only 100 or so people perished (the pentagon was hit last so they had forewarning) my Native classmates announced loudly that the White House will go to war in the middle east and take the oil.

Some Native American students were visibly angry with the veiled students. Complaining that its their country (which it is) and its the white man who decides who's got a entrance into their country and who doesn't. If if were up to the tribal councils all those Arabs would go back to where they came from. It was strange to me that the Native American student who blasted this couldn't get it through his head that the very student he hollered this at was East African and a refugee.

One of the school counselors who is a Muslim and East African managed to get him to calm down. This counselor has taken alot of Native Studies courses and is very involved with community relations between the two groups.

Still it was the one day in which the ethnic group that has the right to voice their regards thee most on a matter like this actually for once stood up and said something.

Outside the auditorum building many Native Americans and East African students were consoling each other. Frantic to not lose each other's trust.

Posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari (Member # 8356) on :

quote:
Originally posted by garfield:
Do you remember what you were doing when you heard about September 11, 2001

No I don't. Sorry.

quote:
Originally posted by Lazeez:
Good to remember, better to learn a lesson and best to treat other tragic events equally. The world isn't all about Americans.

No the world doesn't revolve around Americans. But Americans represent the world.

We aren't all a bunch of honkies, the vast majority of America's children are real people and are not 100% white.

quote:
Originally posted by MyKingdomForATaba2Koshari:
quote:
Do you remember what you were doing when you heard about September 11, 2001

No I don't. Sorry.
I remember Taba bombings.

I got let go from a job that day. Havn't had the courage to go back to work since.

Posted by oldbag (Member # 9889) on :

I was bunking off from my PhD studies working as a temporary secretary at an office at Victoria train station in London for a few weeks. There was a theory going round later that apparently a plane had been planned for Buckingham Palace or Houses of Parliament (about half a km up the road from me) but when he saw the enormity of what had happened in the US, he had pulled out.
Everyone came running out of a meeting (it had been paged out to all the engineers) and put the tv in the boardroom on. We didn't really understand what had happened, we thought it was some kind of horrific accident.
I remember having really vivid 'action replay' dreams for nights afterwards.

Posted by With a name like Smuckers (Member # 10289) on :

I was driving in my car on the way to work when I heard on the radio that a plane struck the world trade center in new york....i remember thinking it was a small plane and an accident. just as I arrived at work another report that another plane hit the 2nd tower. I had a huntch something wasn't quite right. I walked into work and all of the attorneys were crowded around the television staring in silence (attorneys are NEVER silent). the rest of the day was kind of a blur.

Posted by doodlebut (Member # 11649) on :

I was at work at the Charlestown Navy Yard in Boston. Couldn't get on any of the news sites on the internet and we didn't have a tv so we relied on my office mate who was on the phone with her dad. She never hung up for hours since no one else could get through on the phone lines. A few of our collegues were on two of the planes that were headed for California. They worked for PWC. The girl in the next office was trying to get a hold of her freinds who all worked in Manhattan.

The worst was that we were not allowed to leave since we were at the place where the USS Constitution is and I was po'd because I just wanted to pick up my kids from daycare and get home to my safe lil suburb. As soon as they allowed us to leave i bolted out of there. I remember while we were stuck there thinking, this could be it, since no one knew when or where the next attack would hit.

I still can't believe they were so freaked over an old ship! Geesh.

Posted by What's In a Name? (Member # 6244) on :

I stood in a line of 100's to give blood that day, after it happened. And finally was able to give blood the next day....for no reason, as it soon became apparent, because everyone was dead. [Frown]

I think it really affected most people especially Americans. I remember feeling confused that day and for the first time in such a long time a feeling of unity amongst people, driving, people were so kind to each other 'NO, YOU GO FIRST I INSIST!', 'OHHH THANK YOU!'...in lines at the grocery store, etc. I remember driving down a highway on my way home and seeing a woman holding a huge american flag off of the over pass waiving at passers underneath, people honking and waiving. 911 was a dramatic and emotional and memoriable time but I also remember the good from it, the caring amongst people and a feeling no matter your race, gender or religion that there was a unity of being American, even by those not born American. It was really eye opening.

Posted by schoolbound (Member # 11876) on :

i was in the recruiting center for the army ... all appointments stopped of course and we were all sent home...that application never got finished...change of plans lol

WOW that's an interesting story! I'll bet you let out a BIG 'WHEW!!'
rofl [Big Grin]

Why 9/11?

Numerology:

Coincidently, the number of Flight 77 that crashed into The Pentagon reduces to a 14/5 (7 + 7 = 14 and 1 + 4 = 5). The number 14, in particular, portends tragedy through explosion and fire. Flight 77 had 65 people on board, a number which reduces to an 11.

There were many more ironies with respect to the number 11 in this unfortunate occurrence. Some of you may have received the chain e-mail that offered the following:

The date of the attack: 9/11 - 9+1+1 = 11
September 11th is the 254th day of the year. 2+5+4 = 11
There are 111 days left to the end of the year.
119 is the area code for Iraq/Iran. 1+1+9 = 11
Twin Towers - standing side by side, look like the number 11.
The first plane to hit the towers was Flight 11.
New York was the 11th state added to the Union.
New York City has 11 letters.
Afghanistan has 11 letters.
The Pentagon has 11 letters.
Ramzi Yousef has 11 letters (convicted of orchestrating the attack on the WTC in 1993).
Flight 11 had 92 people on board, 9+2 = 11
Flight 77 had 65 people on board, 6+5 = 11.

To read the rest of the article http://www.sfnumber.com/11.php

quote:
Originally posted by cinematic:
Why 9/11?

Numerology:

Coincidently, the number of Flight 77 that crashed into The Pentagon reduces to a 14/5 (7 + 7 = 14 and 1 + 4 = 5). The number 14, in particular, portends tragedy through explosion and fire. Flight 77 had 65 people on board, a number which reduces to an 11.

There were many more ironies with respect to the number 11 in this unfortunate occurrence. Some of you may have received the chain e-mail that offered the following:

The date of the attack: 9/11 - 9+1+1 = 11
September 11th is the 254th day of the year. 2+5+4 = 11
There are 111 days left to the end of the year.
119 is the area code for Iraq/Iran. 1+1+9 = 11
Twin Towers - standing side by side, look like the number 11.
The first plane to hit the towers was Flight 11.
New York was the 11th state added to the Union.
New York City has 11 letters.
Afghanistan has 11 letters.
The Pentagon has 11 letters.
Ramzi Yousef has 11 letters (convicted of orchestrating the attack on the WTC in 1993).
Flight 11 had 92 people on board, 9+2 = 11
Flight 77 had 65 people on board, 6+5 = 11.

To read the rest of the article http://www.sfnumber.com/11.php

Seen the movie "Enemy of the State"?

The character played by John Voight had his birthday 9-11-40. Now that is spooky.

Overall I don't believe in numerology or astrology, but when a well loved Hollywood director gives the arch evil character of the film this birthday years before the attack, I get spooked. [Eek!]

Posted by cairobug (Member # 10571) on :

i missed the subway that would have left me stranded for hours since it passes right through there.i was very worried for my mom and her co-workers that were stranded at her office just a few blocks away from there. really memorable morning and day.

The Day of 911 I worked with a great friend, we were planning to go to lunch for her birthday (Sept 11th), but instead she sat with the rest of us watching the tv. I always email her to say happy birthday and we remember her birthday 2001, it SUCKED ! [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
The Day of 911 I worked with a great friend, we were planning to go to lunch for her birthday (Sept 11th), but instead she sat with the rest of us watching the tv. I always email her to say happy birthday and we remember her birthday 2001, it SUCKED ! [Razz]

My daddy's birthday is 10/9... today [Big Grin]

Posted by ^*^Sh@tterd CrY$t@l*^* (Member # 11811) on :

quote:
Do you remember what you were doing when you heard about September 11, 2001 and what it meant to you?

oh yea i do as if it was yesterday!!
i was in 'Geneva' and that day we drove to the french borders to go to the 'Chiminioux' to climb the 'Mont Blanc' (the white mountain) it was a hell of a day then after we descended down we went to the bus along with our group of tourists and it was around 3pm and we heard da news!! but no one believed but ppl were frigly about it specially americans
then after the 2 hrs drive back to the hotel we ran up and switched on da TV and BAAAAAAAAAANG there we sae the footage of that plane just blasting in the tour OMG i vnt believe it and i still wonder till 2 day what happened in dat plane???? [Eek!]

Posted by FairyDust (Member # 7138) on :

I had taken a sick day, what us teachers called a "mental health day." I was going to relax and enjoy the day with my Egyptian boyfriend. Instead I woke up to the news on TV. My boyfriend came over and we went out to eat, but didn't spend the rest of the day out because he felt uncomfortable being an Arab/Muslim in a place that doesn't have a huge foreign population. It was a very sad day for many reasons.

Posted by blue skies (Member # 8447) on :

quote:

Cinematic - it's my grandad's birthday today too (10th) - he's 88 today and still going strong!

I remember September 11th 2001 clear as anything - I was in Greece on holiday and due to fly back that day. A waiter in the hotel told us in broken English what had happened, but we didn't understand until we saw the news on TV for ourselves. Flying home that day was chaos and pretty scary too.

quote:
Originally posted by blue skies:
quote:

Cinematic - it's my grandad's birthday today too (10th) - he's 88 today and still going strong!

I remember September 11th 2001 clear as anything - I was in Greece on holiday and due to fly back that day. A waiter in the hotel told us in broken English what had happened, but we didn't understand until we saw the news on TV for ourselves. Flying home that day was chaos and pretty scary too.

LOL so they r both Vergos & very sarcastic

yep, you're so right! my mum, older brother and husband are all Virgos too, and all the most sarcastic people I've ever met! LOL

quote:
yep, you're so right! my mum, older brother and husband are all Virgos too, and all the most sarcastic people I've ever met! LOL

And very critical & picky?

Posted by garfield (Member # 10258) on :

I was in Hurghada, Egypt packing the last of my cases in order to fly home to Wisconsin to visit my mother. Our TV was on but had the sound down low. An English girlfriend called to me to ask if I had seen TV and I said no..she said you better watch and explained alittle what had happened. My Egyptian husband and I watched a few minutes and than got in the car and headed for the Egypt Air office and when we arrived confirmed to us what had happened and all flights had stopped. We than headed to a hotel where we had an internet cafe and where the hotel has internation TV. All the hotel people who were Egyptians, ran up to me and said how sorry there were for what happened and asked if there was anything they could do for me. I called my mother and said I did not know when I could come home and of course she said ...wait until next year. I said I would come as soon as I could arrange another flight. The rest of the day my husband and our friends at the hotel sat and watched TV. I can not express my feelings...disbelief..sadness for all the lives lost..both American and others...some anger at those to do it...but also wonder at how some people could have so much hate in their hearts to hurt people as they did. May God forgive them as I did....May we all learn that killing in the name of God is not right. May we someday learn to live in peace with each other no matter what our religion or race. But will we learn?????

I tried to explain to my both older children (6 and 7) yesterday evening of what happening exactly five years ago and that it was not only a tragedy for America but also for the rest of the world. Many things changed since then for all of us.

quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
I tried to explain to my both older children (6 and 7) yesterday evening of what happening exactly five years ago

YA LAHWYY, Are you insane?

Posted by Demiana (Member # 2710) on :

I was working at the university when a colleague called me at work, she had her regular day off, to tell us about the first plane that hit the tower, later she called to tell us about the second and only then we understood the nature of this. I ran around the faculties and the hallways to see if there was a television anywhere near us and I could not understand that some people just ignored this and kept on doing what they were doing. Only some week before that I bought my son a playmobile yellow cab. It had a newspaper with the twintowers as an item in it and I realized how this would be a collectors item one day.

Yes it's strange. Sometimes I watch movies and they were shot in NYC before 9/11 and you can see the skyline with the twin towers.....

quote:
quote:
I tried to explain to my both older children (6 and 7) yesterday evening of what happening exactly five years ago

Why not? My children should know what's going on in the world, that not all humans are friendly, evil does exist and why their father is not with us. Remember we are a military family.

BTW Arabs already teach their little children to hate Jews. Now that's what I call insane.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Why not? My children should know what's going on in the world, that not all humans are friendly, evil does exist and why their father is not with us. Remember we are a military family.

BTW Arabs already teach their little children to hate Jews. Now that's what I call insane.

I talk about you and your kids and you attack my race. Well good luck teaching that too to your 6 yrs old one! Install your version of facts in their heart and get them overwhelmed about it.

Why should I bother...

Don't even try to point the finger at me and ignore the truth. My kids love egypt just like I do and they are aware that good and bad people exist on earth regardless race or religion. Unfortunately not everyone teaches that to its offspring.

Posted by kouki (Member # 11713) on :

quote:

I was at a travel agency, and I had a phone call from a friend of mine, we open the TV at the GM's Office. it was unbeleivable

Posted by Yanal (Member # 9121) on :

I was at my uncle's house in London , i was was watching the tv , i just wokeup and i saw the second plane hitting the twin towers and i was like **** , i still have the Tube ticket for that day dated 11 september 2001

quote:
Don't even try to point the finger at me and ignore the truth. My kids love egypt just like I do and they are aware that good and bad people exist on earth regardless race or religion. Unfortunately not everyone teaches that to its offspring.

There's nothing wrong with explaining it to children that young. Lots of people did. My mother used to tell me of real life things when I was young and I think it really helped me as I got older to know how the world really is. If you do it in the right way, your kids will be fine.

Posted by Sarah02 (Member # 1332) on :

I was an intern at this travel agency, and we all went into the manager's office to watch it on tv.

It was my brother-in-law's birthday too, but I didn't know him then. All the virgos I know are very critical, but they're also very funny too in a sarcastic kind of way!

I've noticed that with Virgos myself [Wink]
I like them very much [Smile]

quote:
quote:

And very critical & picky?
my husband is surprisingly one of the most uncritical people I've ever met, but don't worry, my mum more than makes up for it! [Big Grin]

(I was going to say that my husband's unpicky, but that reflects badly on me - LOL)

LOL no, we would have understood you well Blue Skies, nobody who has read your previous posts would think otherwise, you're a darling [Wink]

Thanks Smuckers - a darling with an unpicky husband and a complicated mum... just about sums me up [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posted by DawnBev (Member # 11276) on :

I'm a virgo, and I've also got a complicated mum!

Posted by DawnBev (Member # 11276) on :

back to the original thread question - I never heard anything about it whilst at work. It was when I was walking through the town centre to get my bus, that I could see a picture of the news through the window of a TV/elec store. I put the news on TV as soon as I got home.

Posted by Madame M. (Member # 8386) on :

I'll first say this...now I'm not an unsympathetic person but I'm really tired of the 9/11 tributes already. If any of my family members had died in that I think it would be more depressing to have to listen to the stories AGAIN. It's time to let go to a certain extent. It's time to realize that tragedies happen all the time all over the world and for the most part no one makes a stink about it and they certainly don't dedicate hours upon hours of TV and radio time to it. Americans are not the only ones worthy of sympathy. Americans are not the only human beings that matter in this world. It makes me kinda sick when ppl say..God Bless America..how about God Bless Everyone?

So for my two cents about where I was that day. I was getting my oldest son ready for his afternoon kindergarten class. It was picture day that day so I was getting the lad all spiffed up. I believe my mother was the first to call me to tell me to turn on the TV. She also told me to not take my son to school that day. I took him and he had his school picture taken and enjoyed his day in kindergarten like all the other kids.

quote:
Originally posted by Madame M.:
I'll first say this...now I'm not an unsympathetic person but I'm really tired of the 9/11 tributes already. If any of my family members had died in that I think it would be more depressing to have to listen to the stories AGAIN. It's time to let go to a certain extent. It's time to realize that tragedies happen all the time all over the world and for the most part no one makes a stink about it and they certainly don't dedicate hours upon hours of TV and radio time to it. Americans are not the only ones worthy of sympathy. Americans are not the only human beings that matter in this world. It makes me kinda sick when ppl say..God Bless America..how about God Bless Everyone?

So for my two cents about where I was that day. I was getting my oldest son ready for his afternoon kindergarten class. It was picture day that day so I was getting the lad all spiffed up. I believe my mother was the first to call me to tell me to turn on the TV. She also told me to not take my son to school that day. I took him and he had his school picture taken and enjoyed his day in kindergarten like all the other kids.

Well take a look at how much time we dedicate to the Rosebowl parade and the Thanksgiving day Macy parade and New Years Eve.... It has given advertisers something that will hold the nation's couch potatoes to the screen long enough to market their products to them. [Roll Eyes]

Americans don't force other countries to celebrate Holidays or remember tragic events like this one. here is where American ignorance of life outside of the USA comes in to play.

Take a look at Tibet. Loads of Chinese communist and cultural celebrations are forced down their throats.

Taiwan, untill 2000 they had to celebrate British holidays as official holidays despite the UK not celebrating them as official.

Aruba, most of the island is black or Indian indentured servents from a century or so ago; yet they still must comply with Dutch law and official holidays.

Bahamas, still a British protectorate and still must do the same as Aruba above.

West Africa, Countries like Cameroon, Nigeria, the Congo and others expect other nations with weaker governments to celebrate b-days of their leaders, military victories over their own people (celebrating your own tribe's genocide isn't peachy) and then to pay a tax on those days from your governement's coffers. Imagine a parade through your town with the war criminal who tortured your brother, mother, dad or son waltzing through your neighborhood like an Emperor with no clothes.

This is only a tiny minuscale fraction of the evil things people of other countries to to people from different countries. And yeah our State Department from time to time when given an invitation to grace these cermonies tell especially these powerful West African nation to gracefully f*ck off, while the European diplomate shows up.

Sorry American might demand sympathy on media airwaves but its not like we expect Gaum to officially recognize Thanksgiving or even 9/11 rememberance day. We aren't that evil.

Posted by Egyptian_batman (Member # 11915) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:

because it's an order from God. The jews insult God so that they are cursed. you call it insane because you don't believe in the religion of God.

و قالت اليهود يد الله مغلولة غلت أيديهم و لعنوا بما قالوا

btw, why did Hitler hate The jews?

Posted by FairyDust (Member # 7138) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Egyptian_batman:

Hitler's grandmother's maiden name was Schickelgruber. There is considerable evidence that this family produced abnormal progeny. Examples are: one of Hitler's relatives through his mother's side committed suicide in 1920, another, Aloisha had been placed in an insane asylum, another was "feeble-minded," and yet another was retarded. www.holocaust-history.org

Posted by Psychosnatch (Member # 11917) on :

to be honest i was skipping work at home smoking a doobie with a couple of friends
we didnt even know something happened until we ventured outside to get some snacks MAN the munchies can be HARSH

quote:

I had heard (through the discovery channel, which is far from factual) that Hitler wanted to go to Art School so he hit up his jewish grandmother for the fees.

She said no, along with all of his Jewish relatives.

If she had paid, Hitler would've been a really well funded, untalented artist; bohemian style completely smashed on Viennian coffee lashed with Turkish hash.

Vienna would've suffered, but the rest of the world would've been better off. [Frown]

Posted by Charm el Feikh? (Member # 10243) on :

i was in the army at the time... we were put on NBC (nuclear biological and chemical) stand by in london, my partner was working in canary wharf and of course they were all terrified (thats the london equivalent of the twin towers) they were all evacuated immediately.

Madam M.. i dont agree with you when you say we should let go.. the 7/7 bombings will haunt me forever.. the fear of wondering where all your friends and family were, the relief when they were all accounted for...

i come from Lockerbie.. i was just a kid when that happened, but i will never forget that,
and personally i would be very angry to see the 21st of december pass without some news coverage.. i feel so distant from home and seeing the ceremony in Lockerbie on the TV that day makes me feel a little closer to my friends and family.

quote:
Thanks Smuckers - a darling with an unpicky husband and a complicated mum... just about sums me up [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

You remind me of Monica of "Friends" & how her mum is a pain

quote:
Originally posted by Madame M.:
It's time to realize that tragedies happen all the time all over the world and for the most part no one makes a stink about it and they certainly don't dedicate hours upon hours of TV and radio time to it. Americans are not the only ones worthy of sympathy. Americans are not the only human beings that matter in this world. It makes me kinda sick when ppl say..God Bless America..how about God Bless Everyone?

THUMBS UP..... I could really quote you..... I think you just expressed how everybody feels

which monica? I dont know any one caled Monica except that chic called monica Luninisky of Mr clinton?

I watch grey's anatomy these days but i dont understand lots of English because i'm still learning.

quote:
[qb] BTW Arabs already teach their little children to hate Jews

By the way, Christians hate the Jews too because they believe that they killed Jesus Christ.

Therefore, everybody hates the Jews (not just the muslims & the Jews hate the muslims too) ..... And athough the Americans & the jews hate each other they can team up against the arabs coz they have mutual benefites

Posted by ^*^Sh@tterd CrY$t@l*^* (Member # 11811) on :

hey cine wer r ya???

quote:
which monica? I dont know any one caled Monica except that chic called monica Luninisky of Mr clinton?

I watch grey's anatomy these days but i dont understand lots of English because i'm still learning.

Courtney Cox in FRIENDS the famous series

quote:
Originally posted by ^*^Sh@tterd CrY$t@l*^*:
hey cine wer r ya???

Hey Sweetie, i was out all day & i came back around 30 minutes ago, very tired.... have you checked out that (other thing) I told u about? hope ur enjoying

Posted by faithalwaysn4ever (Member # 11860) on :

I was a sophomore in High school in Florida. I was in the international baccalaurate programme, ironically in theory of knowledge, and we were sitting down in the computer lab to write out internal assessments. When we got in the computer lab instructor (not our teacher) said something about a bomb in the WTC... but she was very hard to understand, and we generally regarded her as nuts anyway. But a few of the guys got online as we were there and informed us that no she was right... they were on CNN i think. It was just after the first plane hit. Our teacher came in and said that we would move to an adjacent room with the freshman psychology class and watch the TV in there. We got in and we saw the second plane hit... it was then that qwe all gasped, and started talking a million miles a minute... about that this wasnt an accident. Most people looked stunned... a few angry... and two of us were crying. We both had friends and family in the towers.
When the bell rang everyone left the room to go to the next class... i couldnt pull myself away from the screen. Then the first tower fell... i was the only one in the room.... and i scremaed (so i'm told) I wasnt even aware that i had until a few other kids came in and asked what was wrong. I ran to my third class, and watched... a shoirt time later the second tower fell. By then the other girl who was with me in this class as well was hysterical. We were trying to console her... her mother, father, and fiancee were all at the WTC. We found out later that she lost her father and fiancee. We watched together as the pentagon was hit... well the aftermath... and we all speculated as to what would be next. We all thought the capitol was next.
The rest of the day was surreal. We were all listening, watching, anxious, and genuinely afraid. Our principal came over the intercom a few times to address the school. We were asked to reamin on campus to face this as a family. We were encouraged not to violence, but to compassion, and understanding.
I didnt go to school the next day... or the day after... my mom stayed home from work... and we talked. Alot. We watched, we wroite letters, we went to church to pray for survivors, and those left behind.
There is no way to deny that my world changed that day... I think it did for most in my generation. For many of us, it was a wake up call... and a growing up. I would like to be able to say that it was a change for the better... and in some ways it was. We saw the best and the worst in ourselves in the following weeks. I am ashamed for those i know at some of the reprocussions... shockwaves that happened in the weeks afterward. Though within the IB there were no outbreaks of violence towards others. In the school was another matter. For that I am still sad.
I am ashamed for myself at how blind I was before 9/11 to international affairs, and even still today I know that I have alot to learn. What I can say is that I am learning, I am trying. Hopefully that is worht something.
There were three of us in my class that lost family, and friends that day.
The one girl lost a father and a fiancee. I lost my godfather, and another boy lost a brother.
May all those that passed that day rest in G-ds perfect peace, and those who were left behind have found the strength to move on, that this not have been a tradgedy in vain, but find some way to make a positive difference.

أنا بقا كنت لسة ما اتولدتش
i wasnt still born yet

Posted by Paint Me As I Am (Member # 7796) on :

quote:

I was at work- waiting for our first Flight to arrive..-Next thing we were told was all flights were grounded.. but, we had to remain working while every one/passengers had to evacuate the building...

Posted by cHiMpSs (Member # 11270) on :

i was on a murder scene the worst racist attack of its kind in my city ,,and the air was chilling u cud hear a pin drop for at least 3weeks ..

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com