This is topic The galabeyya to become Egypt's national dress?? in forum Living in Egypt at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=018718

Posted by Tigerlily (Member # 3567) on :

Page last updated at 06:31 GMT, Tuesday, 12 May 2009 07:31 UK

By Waleed Badran
BBC Arabic

The galabeyya, a traditional ankle-length gown worn by Egyptian men, may be about to get official status if an Egyptian MP gets his way.

Mustapha al-Gindy wants the simple galabeyya, until now more associated with men in rural areas or manual labourers, to be promoted as the national costume of Egypt .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8039876.stm

Posted by * 7ayat * (Member # 7043) on :

I actually like it, it's nice to stick to our roots. But times have changed and its not practical anymore. Imagine running after the bus in a galabyia, it's just silly.

Posted by Totta (Member # 16623) on :

quote:
Originally posted by * 7ayat *:
I actually like it, it's nice to stick to our roots. But times have changed and its not practical anymore. Imagine running after the bus in a galabyia, it's just silly.

Hey at least there's still someone, an MP, who isn't ashamed of wearing a galabeya in public!

Posted by * 7ayat * (Member # 7043) on :

Yeah definatly. I love the traditional dress, and I think in general we should be more proud of our heritage.

Posted by ourluxor (Member # 15101) on :

Here in Luxor, it wouldn't be the "running after the bus in a galabaya" that would be silly, it would just be the thought of "running after the bus"! It's that silly that it just doesn't happen.

I must admit that I have actually run to catch a bus here, much to the amusement of those watching. Haha.

Regards,
Edward.

Posted by TAREK307 (Member # 7838) on :

This will never happen, ever!

Posted by Ayisha (Member # 4713) on :

I like the galabeya and its a great national dress!

agree with ourluxor though, running for a bus...or running for anything....does not happen in luxor!

ahh unless its running from the police [Big Grin]

Posted by Ramses nemesis (Member # 4125) on :

quote:
Originally posted by * 7ayat *:

I totally agree, I've always wanted to do that, to wear a galabeya and all the time. When I told my friends and family that they thought I was crazy.
As you correctly point out, it's about sticking ot our roots. I see the Indian women wear the sarry and sarwal kamis even in the west, some Africans wear they're ethnic garbs, also in the gulf, India, Pakistan, etc. For me it's all about national identity.
I will do it one day, I'm ashamed to say I still don't have the courage to do it yet.
(shame on you Ramses, chicken)

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com