This is topic Who was the greatest warrior per aa? in forum Egyptology at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000726

Posted by neo*geo (Member # 3466) on :

Egypt has had some of the greatest warrior kings. Here's my list of the top 3

1. Thutmose III - He is sometimes compared to Napoleon. He never lost a battle. He commanded over a dozen wars in Nubia and Syria/Palestine and was said to have treated those he defeated humanely. His most famous victory was at Megiddo.

2. Ahmose I - The father of the 18th dynasty, the finest dynasty in Egyptian history. His greatest achievement was driving the Hyksos out of Egypt. He also expanded Egypt's borders deep into Nubia.

3. Shabako - In the 25th dynasty, he reunited Upper and Lower Egypt by removing all the Lower Egyptian kings and foriegn rulers settled in the Delta. He made alliances with Hebrew kings in Palestine to win battles against the Assyrians.

[This message has been edited by neo*geo (edited 24 July 2004).]

Posted by rasol (Member # 4592) on :

Ahmose I's victories were the most important after Narmer's.

What are the best sources for detailed information on battle tactics and stratagem's in warfare at different times in Kemetic history?

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 24 July 2004).]

Posted by ausar (Member # 1797) on :

Not much material on warfare in AE since,for the most part,AE were not really warriors like other civlization. We have some written material early in the 6th dyansty with a general named Weni who describes his methods for fighting people he calls sand-dwellers around modern day Negev.

In later times when military threat is more prominent you have descriptions of the battle of Megeido[sp],and the tactics here seem to porceed the trojan horse. Thutmoses III's general Djehuty places himself and his troops in baskets. The enemies bring the baskets in unsuspecting of the attack,but later he and his troops jump out the baskets surrounding the enemies within the town.

You might try a book called Fighting Pharoahs by Robert Parthiage.

Egyptian Warfare and Weapons (Shire Egyptology S.)
Ian Shaw

[This message has been edited by ausar (edited 24 July 2004).]

Posted by rasol (Member # 4592) on :

Thanks Ausar.

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com