This is topic Zahi takes a pot-shot at Christian Jacq film in forum Egyptology at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=004875

Posted by Myra Wysinger (Member # 10126) on :

Zahi takes a pot-shot at Christian Jacq film
March 9, 2007

Princess of the Sun

Dr. Zahi Hawass secretary general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA) received yesterday a report concerning a French production cartoon called “Princess of the Sun” which relates an imaginary story about the monotheistic king Akhnaten and his family.

March 13 will be its world premiere in Egypt, at the foot step of the Great pyramid.

According to the report presented by a technical and scientific committee headed by Sabri Abel Aziz, head of the ancient Egyptian department in the SCA, the film is a fantasy of the French writer Christian Jacque who inspired its story from a perplexing era of king Akhnaten’s reign.

The film includes of several historical mistakes and has nothing in relation with real political, historical, religious and military events that happened in that time. All the incidents of the film reflect the writer’s illusion which totally contradict with Egypt’s historical facts. Even names and titles of the film’s heroes is for people who did not ever exist in the ancient Egyptian history except the name of king Akhnaten, his wife Nefertiti and his military leader Haremhab.

In order to allow the display of the film, the committee asked the Egyptian film distributor “Good News” group to write on the film, in English and Arabic, that the story of the film is a fantasy of his writer and has nothing in relation with the ancient Egyptian historical facts.

The historical mistakes are as follows:

Princess Akiza who personifies king Akhnaten’s daughter whose, according to the film, married to a prince called Tut is an imaginary personality. Akhnaten has not a daughter called Akiza.

The film depicts the sudden disappearance of Akhnaten from history by drinking poison which led to his death, a matter that has not any evidence in history. Until now, purposes behind Akhnaten’s death is not known but what Egyptologists are sure of that king Semenkare took the thrown after Akhnaten and sit on it for a year long. King Tutankhamun came afterwards and ruled for nine years.

The military leader Haremhab was killed during the film enrollment before the era of Ttutankhamun but according to history, Haremhab came up to the throne after king Tutankhanum and Iye and reigned for approximately 28 years.

Also Queen Nefertiti was not never exiled to Philae island in Aswan as it shown in the film.

As for Egypt’s struggle with the Hittites totally contradicts with all archaeological and historical evidences. The Hittites did not ever invade Egypt at the end of Akhnaten’s reign as the film relates on the contrary their struggle was in Khita city in Syria which started the reign of the 19th dynadty King Ramses II, almost 58 years after the death of king Akhnaten. After Egypt’s victory in Kadish battle both countries signed a peaces treaty.

http://www.guardians.net/hawass/articles/princess_of_the_sun.htm

-------------------------

Christian Jacq (born 1947) is a French author and Egyptologist. He has written several novels about ancient Egypt, notably a five book suite about pharaoh Ramses II, a character whom Jacq admires greatly. He also wrote the book The Black Pharaoh which is about King Piankhy.

Posted by Doug M (Member # 7650) on :

Well, controversy or not, I look forward to seeing this when it is translated into English. Photos from the film here:

http://www.allocine.fr/film/galerie_gen_cfilm=59400&filtre=31006&page=1.html

Posted by Supercar (Member # 6477) on :

I don't have issue with the need for historical accuracy, with realistic [indigenous] ethnic display of the Kemetic dynasties. If the pictures in the link above is anything to go by, at least the said 'fictitious' film portrays the Kemetic characters as dark skin personalities. I'm not sure what is up with the "blue" eyes of the female character though.

Posted by What Box (Willing Thinker) (Member # 10819) on :

^Yeah, me either. I definitely agree with both of you, well said Supercar.

Who might that guy be in pic 13.

I love the French.

Posted by Yonis (Member # 7684) on :

quote:
What Box (Willing Thinker):

I think it's the leader of the Hittites.

Who is this man, is it Horemheb?

-

Posted by vidadavida (Member # 12945) on :

Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. The Egyptians are dipicted as blacks and I have a feeling Hawass isn't so much mad about the historical accuracy of the cartoon but rather the dipiction of the Egyptians. I personally do not trust the guy. The good thing is cartoons can have a greater effect on people than real movies because it reaches out to children so you never know this could be a good thing for historically accurate Egyptian perception for the future of the kids into their adult life.

Posted by rasol (Member # 4592) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Yonis:
quote:

-

Ah, now we know why Hawass is really upset. Say no more Zahi. We know the cause of your pain. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by rasol:
quote:
quote:

-

Ah, now we know why Hawass is really upset. Say no more Zahi. We know the cause of your pain. [Smile]
Zahi is definitely full of B.S. The film is listed as science fiction. What more needs to be said? No archaeologists I know of are up in arms about 300 being scientifically inaccurate, so why does he care so much about this? The story is loosely based on the events of the 18th dynasty in Egypt and doesnt claim to be an accurate recording of the events of that time period.

Anyway, here is a trailer from the film:
http://www.greykid.com/La_Reine_Soleil/

I also wonder why this production is not getting more press play or airtime, especially here in America, especially since the artifacts from the 18th dynasty are currently here on tour. I definitely agree that this has nothing to do with a disagreement over historical accuracy, but with something else. After all, look at all the movies that have been made with Egyptian themes and Zahi has never protested before: "The Mummy", "The Mummy Returns", "Prince of Egypt", "Stargate" and so on. NOW all of a sudden he is upset.....

After all Christian Jacq is well known for writing novels based on Egyptian history:
http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?qwork=3685338&matches=5&qsort=r

quote:
Ah, now we know why Hawass is really upset. Say no more Zahi. We know the cause of your pain.
^ [Big Grin] :Ahh, how it burns my eyes! !!
 -
 -
[Big Grin] ^ good one rasol. [Wink]

quote:
Yonis: I think it's the leader of the Hittites.
O
quote:
Is it?

Why would Horemheb be wearing Nubi- [Big Grin] I mean Kushite garb if he was the Commander in chief a Egypt's army?

Or do you mean the man on the bottom-right?

Ah, now we know why Hawass is really upset. Say no more Zahi. We know the cause of your pain.

^^^^WHOA!! you mean me and Rasol actually agree on something?!?!? There must be a solar eclipse somewhere [Eek!]

quote:
Originally posted by vidadavida:
The good thing is cartoons can have a greater effect on people than real movies because it reaches out to children so you never know this could be a good thing for historically accurate Egyptian perception for the future of the kids into their adult life.

good point

More videos in French:

La Reine Soleil Official Site

-

-

^Ahkenaton looks really close!

Man, I am really digging this. Very cool they even have our noses and lips right lol [Big Grin] Very shocked and surprised at the French's honesty, but you know I shouldn't be TOO shocked considering the French seem to be the only non-Africans to actually WANT to preserve African culture (strangly). NOt only that they are the only people that have actually apologized for colonization and slavery. Grace Jones was a huuuge model in France and lets not forget the Hottentot woman in French history. Something must be in the water there lol.

I also heard a rumor that when the French fought the English that in order for the English to end the war the French had to forfeit everything they knew and had on Nile valley culture. Has anyone ever heard this before? Lets not forget that the French seemed to be the main Europeans supporting a black Egypt during the racist era of Egyptology.

Posted by Yonis (Member # 7684) on :

quote:
^Ahkenaton looks really close!
But it seems like all of them have blue eyes.

-

That is an artistic expression obviously chosen by the artists they all have different color eyes like red, green, blue I have seen it in other cartoons that use this format of drawing..nothing that should be taken too seriously.

quote:

That is an artistic expression obviously chosen by the artists they all have different color eyes like red, green, blue I have seen it in other cartoons that use this format of drawing..nothing that should be taken too seriously.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

This gives Africans scholars a practical example of how to counter Eurocentric mass entertainment-propaganda.

Here....facts and scholarship are less important than being able to present a powerful and striking image of the African past.

Entertainment does have it's place in the struggle.

A Shona friend once asked me why Africans should care about some *slave owning Pharoahs.*

It's clear that he thought of Ancient Egyptians as whites or Arabs, who owned Black slaves.

Scholarship is of little value to people who have had racist propaganda burned into their brains.

Sometimes you have to start with something non-intellectual, and go from there.

^ Kem Miw Black Cat:
 -

Kememou Black People:
 -

Kemset - Black Lady:
 -

Deshruti - Red Man:
 -

Posted by Achillobator (Member # 3735) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:
After all, look at all the movies that have been made with Egyptian themes and Zahi has never protested before: "The Mummy", "The Mummy Returns", "Prince of Egypt", "Stargate" and so on.

In the interest of fairness to Hawass, I would like to point out that these movies weren't based on any actual historical events unlike this one. I can see a few people being misled by the presentation of the Egyptian history (especially the people) implemented in this movie, even if they know it is fiction.

I too have noticed that the French seem more accepting of the idea of black Egyptians than other Europeans. At my high school, we have several copies of a French youth magazine named Okapi, and one issue had an illustrated article on Hatshepsut. All the Egyptians were portrayed with dark skin, too. If this really is a significant trend in France, it could have something to do with Cheik Anta Diop writing in French as his first European language.

BTW, why does the Hittite leader have red hair? I think it is a fallacy to assume that the Hittites had red hair just because they were Indo-European. Remember, Indians are also Indo-European, and except for hair texture and a few facial features, they're as far from the northern European phenotype as you can get.

Posted by SEEKING (Member # 10105) on :

TRAILER

TRAILER II

quote:
Originally posted by Achillobator:
quote:
After all, look at all the movies that have been made with Egyptian themes and Zahi has never protested before: "The Mummy", "The Mummy Returns", "Prince of Egypt", "Stargate" and so on.

In the interest of fairness to Hawass, I would like to point out that these movies weren't based on any actual historical events unlike this one. I can see a few people being misled by the presentation of the Egyptian history (especially the people) implemented in this movie, even if they know it is fiction.

I too have noticed that the French seem more accepting of the idea of black Egyptians than other Europeans. At my high school, we have several copies of a French youth magazine named Okapi, and one issue had an illustrated article on Hatshepsut. All the Egyptians were portrayed with dark skin, too. If this really is a significant trend in France, it could have something to do with Cheik Anta Diop writing in French as his first European language.

BTW, why does the Hittite leader have red hair? I think it is a fallacy to assume that the Hittites had red hair just because they were Indo-European. Remember, Indians are also Indo-European, and except for hair texture and a few facial features, they're as far from the northern European phenotype as you can get.

Having seen more of the storyline of the film, I can understand the need to put a disclaimer in about the fact that it is fiction.

However, what do you mean by this:

quote:

I can see a few people being misled by the presentation of the Egyptian history (especially the people) implemented in this movie, even if they know it is fiction.

Are you saying that the depiction of the Eyptians in the film is misleading?

Posted by H*O*R*U*S (Member # 11484) on :

^Don't fall for it Doug. Don't. Just ignore.

March 12, 2007

The Premiere of the largest French-Belgium animation production for 2007.

English subtitle:

http://www.goodnews4films.com/

quote:
Originally posted by H*O*R*U*S:
^Don't fall for it Doug. Don't. Just ignore.

Smart man. [Smile]

Posted by King_Scorpion (Member # 4818) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:
March 9, 2007

Princess of the Sun

Dr. Zahi Hawass secretary general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA) received yesterday a report concerning a French production cartoon called “Princess of the Sun” which relates an imaginary story about the monotheistic king Akhnaten and his family.

March 13 will be its world premiere in Egypt, at the foot step of the Great pyramid.

According to the report presented by a technical and scientific committee headed by Sabri Abel Aziz, head of the ancient Egyptian department in the SCA, the film is a fantasy of the French writer Christian Jacque who inspired its story from a perplexing era of king Akhnaten’s reign.

The film includes of several historical mistakes and has nothing in relation with real political, historical, religious and military events that happened in that time. All the incidents of the film reflect the writer’s illusion which totally contradict with Egypt’s historical facts. Even names and titles of the film’s heroes is for people who did not ever exist in the ancient Egyptian history except the name of king Akhnaten, his wife Nefertiti and his military leader Haremhab.

In order to allow the display of the film, the committee asked the Egyptian film distributor “Good News” group to write on the film, in English and Arabic, that the story of the film is a fantasy of his writer and has nothing in relation with the ancient Egyptian historical facts.

Princess Akiza who personifies king Akhnaten’s daughter whose, according to the film, married to a prince called Tut is an imaginary personality. Akhnaten has not a daughter called Akiza.

The film depicts the sudden disappearance of Akhnaten from history by drinking poison which led to his death, a matter that has not any evidence in history. Until now, purposes behind Akhnaten’s death is not known but what Egyptologists are sure of that king Semenkare took the thrown after Akhnaten and sit on it for a year long. King Tutankhamun came afterwards and ruled for nine years.

The military leader Haremhab was killed during the film enrollment before the era of Ttutankhamun but according to history, Haremhab came up to the throne after king Tutankhanum and Iye and reigned for approximately 28 years.

Also Queen Nefertiti was not never exiled to Philae island in Aswan as it shown in the film.

As for Egypt’s struggle with the Hittites totally contradicts with all archaeological and historical evidences. The Hittites did not ever invade Egypt at the end of Akhnaten’s reign as the film relates on the contrary their struggle was in Khita city in Syria which started the reign of the 19th dynadty King Ramses II, almost 58 years after the death of king Akhnaten. After Egypt’s victory in Kadish battle both countries signed a peaces treaty.

Christian Jacq (born 1947) is a French author and Egyptologist. He has written several novels about ancient Egypt, notably a five book suite about pharaoh Ramses II, a character whom Jacq admires greatly. He also wrote the book The Black Pharaoh which is about King Piankhy.

Zahi is just fuming that many people are moving away from his "North African Caucasian" theories. I honestly believe one of the reasons he banned that woman (forgot her name) who thought she had found Nefertiti...is because she represented her as being Black.

quote:
Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. The Egyptians are dipicted as blacks and I have a feeling Hawass isn't so much mad about the historical accuracy of the cartoon but rather the dipiction of the Egyptians. I personally do not trust the guy. The good thing is cartoons can have a greater effect on people than real movies because it reaches out to children so you never know this could be a good thing for historically accurate Egyptian perception for the future of the kids into their adult life.

That's exactly what it's about. I don't see him attacking other fictional movies like The Mummy with all of it's gross inaccuracies.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

-

Zahi is definitely full of B.S. The film is listed as science fiction. What more needs to be said? No archaeologists I know of are up in arms about 300 being scientifically inaccurate, so why does he care so much about this? The story is loosely based on the events of the 18th dynasty in Egypt and doesnt claim to be an accurate recording of the events of that time period.

Anyway, here is a trailer from the film:
http://www.greykid.com/La_Reine_Soleil/

I also wonder why this production is not getting more press play or airtime, especially here in America, especially since the artifacts from the 18th dynasty are currently here on tour. I definitely agree that this has nothing to do with a disagreement over historical accuracy, but with something else. After all, look at all the movies that have been made with Egyptian themes and Zahi has never protested before: "The Mummy", "The Mummy Returns", "Prince of Egypt", "Stargate" and so on. NOW all of a sudden he is upset.....

After all Christian Jacq is well known for writing novels based on Egyptian history:
http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?qwork=3685338&matches=5&qsort=r

Probably because it's French. Most foreign movies outside of a handful of big productions don't get much reception in America.

quote:
Zahi is just fuming that many people are moving away from his "North African Caucasian" theories. I honestly believe one of the reasons he banned that woman (forgot her name) who thought she had found Nefertiti...is because she represented her as being Black.
Joanne Fletcher.

quote:

-

This is the ambassador of Egypt, lord Hanis.

See The "Zannanza affair".

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joanne Fletcher.

^^^^Was that the Egyptian hair specialist? I think I saw segment on her on the history channel.

Posted by Yom (Member # 11256) on :

Great images! Hopefully this will be the start of a long trend. [Big Grin]

Posted by Supercar (Member # 6477) on :

quote:

-

Does the head of the man [raising his left arm] strike anyone as that of a normal human being? LOL.

quote:
quote:

Joanne Fletcher.

^^^^Was that the Egyptian hair specialist? I think I saw segment on her on the history channel.

I can't remember what her speciality was exactly...I just remember thinking Zahi was grossly overreacting just because she messed up on an idenification. Which implied to me that he was doing it for other reasons.

EDIT: I wish this movie was coming out in English!!

^ There is no proof that she 'messed up' anything.

She found a Mummy and stated that she thinks it's Nefertiti.

She then had a British team do a forensic reconstruction based on the crania, which turned out like this...
 -

...and that's when Hawass went bonkers.

Although he himself originally claimed the mummy was female...after the reconstrution he started asserting that it was male.

He then claimed that he had a genetic test done to prove it. [which would imply detection of the Y 'male' chromosome]

But, he never produced any such test.

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/nefertiti/nefertiti.html

Of course there is the issue of only wanting to focus on ONE of the hundreds of images of Nefertiti, most of which DO NOT look like the Berlin bust.

Anyway, more REAL images of 18th dynasty figures:

Tomb of Ay:
http://www.thebanmappingproject.com/sites/browse_tombimages_837_20.html
 -

Tomb of Amenhotep III (Akhenaten's father):
http://www.osirisnet.net/tombes/pharaons/amenhotep3/e_amenhotep3.htm
 -

Valley of the Kings Tomb of Horemheb:

http://www.thebanmappingproject.com/sites/browse_tombimages_871_160.html
 -

So compare that Berlin Bust to all these other images and see which looks more accurate. Just by putting together all the images from the late 18th dynasty, royal, nobles and otherwise and seeing how many match that of the Berlin bust, you will see how it is a symbol of desperation for Eurocentric die-hards.

quote:
Are you saying that the depiction of the Eyptians in the film is misleading?

Sorry for my clumsy writing---I meant to say that putting in historical personalities that actually existed could make this movie seem more historically accurate (and thus more in need of a disclaimer) to some moviegoers than it actuall is.

^ Of course, you're not making any sense.

*Ancient Egypt* is a historical reality.

Any fictional depiction of it runs the risk of seeming to be historically accurate, and virtually no fictional dipiction of it ever has been.

When you have white actors depicting the Medijay....
 -

....that's a gruesomely twisted distortion of history.

But according to you, this is somehow less agregious than Hawass triffling complaints over matters of trivia in and animated fictional film?

Hawass is a racially motiviated hypocrite and has no credibility on this issue.

Posted by Mansa Musa (Member # 6800) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Supercar:
I don't have issue with the need for historical accuracy, with realistic [indigenous] ethnic display of the Kemetic dynasties. If the pictures in the link above is anything to go by, at least the said 'fictitious' film portrays the Kemetic characters as dark skin personalities. I'm not sure what is up with the "blue" eyes of the female character though.

Indeed.

The artwork looks rather crude to me though.

I rather enjoyed the movie "The Prince of Egypt",
which was comparably was accurate in representation and had a wonderful soundtrack with musical talent as illustrious as Mariah Cary and Whitney Houston.

-

The Egyptians were portrayed as villains, as they are in the Biblical story of Exodus but it was altogether and excellent film.

quote:
Originally posted by Mansa Musa:
quote:
Originally posted by Supercar:

Indeed.

The artwork looks rather crude to me though.

I rather enjoyed the movie "The Prince of Egypt",
which was comparably was accurate in representation and had a wonderful soundtrack with musical talent as illustrious as Mariah Cary and Whitney Houston.

-

The Egyptians were portrayed as villains, as they are in the Biblical story of Exodus but it was altogether and excellent film.

The production of the prince of Egypt was marred by an attempt to be PC and not offend anyone. This was mentioned by the producers themselves, who tried to reconcile the controversy over whether the pharoahs were black or semitic. Nefertari seems to be the most African of all the characters in the movie, while the priests are the most un-Egyptian. Ramses of course is somewhat ambiguous.

Wow rasol, you just totally made Hawass look like more an ass-hole LMAO.

Well, technically, he did that himself, but you just proved some more that he was an ass hole!

LOL [Smile] [Big Grin] , speaking of lol, ...

-
l.o.l., I've never seen these models of the medjay before. Oh, Mummy movies.. . [Big Grin]

A CLIP from a random scene

quote:
The production of the prince of Egypt was marred by an attempt to be PC and not offend anyone. This was mentioned by the producers themselves, who tried to reconcile the controversy over whether the pharoahs were black or semitic. Nefertari seems to be the most African of all the characters in the movie, while the priests are the most un-Egyptian. Ramses of course is somewhat ambiguous.

Agreed.

It is very obvious that the artwork - while not grossly *inaccurate* - attempts to make the Kemetians as ethnically ambiguous as possible.

Of course traditional Hollywood films like 10 Commandments didn't even bother with that, they simply used white people from Europe, so it's all relative I suppose.

Posted by Sonofisis (Member # 12762) on :

Wow! Loving the realistic animated depictions..

Posted by Technical Anomal (What Box? (Member # 10819) on :

Another seen from the movie I found on Youtube.

Posted by Djehuti (Member # 6698) on :

quote:
Originally posted by What Box (Willing Thinker):
quote:
Originally posted by Rasol:

-
 -
[Big Grin] ^ good one rasol. [Wink]

LMAO [Big Grin]

quote:

I noticed that too!
quote:

So you're saying it's like anime, where all the characters have light colored eyes (as well as light colored hair) [Big Grin]

But other than that, I must admit the animation is very accurate in terms of both color and body facial features.

quote:

Man, I am really digging this. Very cool they even have our noses and lips right lol [Big Grin] Very shocked and surprised at the French's honesty, but you know I shouldn't be TOO shocked considering the French seem to be the only non-Africans to actually WANT to preserve African culture (strangly). NOt only that they are the only people that have actually apologized for colonization and slavery. Grace Jones was a huuuge model in France and lets not forget the Hottentot woman in French history. Something must be in the water there lol.

Actually I myself am a little shocked that this was created by the French considering such nonsense as their "caucasoid" Tut reconstruction.

quote:
I also heard a rumor that when the French fought the English that in order for the English to end the war the French had to forfeit everything they knew and had on Nile valley culture. Has anyone ever heard this before? Lets not forget that the French seemed to be the main Europeans supporting a black Egypt during the racist era of Egyptology.
I don't know about the "forfeit" thing, but I do I know that the French and English were wagin a war in archaeology in who would be the first to decipher hieroglyphics and thus knowledge in ancient Egyptian history. Also, you are right that the French were the least bias considering works like Champollion the Younger, Count Constatine de Volney, and Marius Fontanes. However, even then there was a little bias due to the slave trade and the rise of the so-called inferiority of Sub-Saharan "negroes".

Joanne Fletcher is an Egyptologist whose specialty was ancient Egyptian fashion styles, mainly hair.

And yes she was the one to actually persue the idea that one of several mummies in KV35 was Nefertiti. The mummy had many features that indicated a likeness with the Berlin bust, mainly the long neck and oval face.

But Rasol is correct, that Hawass was perfectly fine and even allowed Discovery to back them up until the reconstruction. That's when he went mad and had poor Fletcher banned I believe, indefinitely.

And indeed the guy made himself look like an a-hole big time when he kept changing his story about the sex and age of the mummy. After the reconstruction, he said it was the right age but male, then he said it was female but too young, then he said too old, etc. LOL [Big Grin]

It was hilarious!

Posted by Technical Anomal (What Box? (Member # 10819) on :

I hear the French are great, but my Uncle tells me he encoutered an individual who he perceived as a racist person there.. so all genrlazations are bad.

^There are going to be racists in many societies, especially Europe. Do not think France is any different because they are 'enlightened' or more 'liberal'. I have black friends who have been to France and they too had an incident where they were called racist slurs. Although they say such sentiments are usually held by the lower classes, you should hear what goes on in French soccer games.

Posted by Wally (Member # 2936) on :

This important looking film should not be viewed as an event but as part of the process of the slow 'pulling of teeth' as the Eurocentrics gradually and reluctantly abandon their mythology of a 'White Egypt.'
Great post Myra...

^Agreed! Thanks Myra, for the good news.

quote:
Wow rasol, you just totally made Hawass look like more an ass-hole LMAO.

Well, technically, he did that himself, but you just proved some more that he was an ass hole!

LOL [Smile] [Big Grin] , speaking of lol, ...

-
l.o.l., I've never seen these models of the medjay before. Oh, Mummy movies.. . [Big Grin]

A CLIP from a random scene

The Mummy movies are in line with 300, action flicks that are BS historically.

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
quote:

Actually I myself am a little shocked that this was created by the French considering such nonsense as their "caucasoid" Tut reconstruction.

quote:
I don't know about the "forfeit" thing, but I do I know that the French and English were wagin a war in archaeology in who would be the first to decipher hieroglyphics and thus knowledge in ancient Egyptian history. Also, you are right that the French were the least bias considering works like Champollion the Younger, Count Constatine de Volney, and Marius Fontanes. However, even then there was a little bias due to the slave trade and the rise of the so-called inferiority of Sub-Saharan "negroes".

They were different French peoples altogether who did the reconstruction.

What I cannot comprehend is that, if Zahi Hawass is so upset over what he perceives as a phenotypical misrepresentation of the Ancient Egyptians, why can't he just say so, instead of resorting to these underhanded tactics? It's not as if the media would ignore him or go against him if he openly railed against these portrayals---if anything, most would show sympathy towards him, since he is an Egyptian, after all.

BTW, this guy looks awesome:

-

He's awfully handsome for a probable villain, actually. I wonder if he will develop a relationship with any of the major female characters?

Oh, and the Akhesa chick looks hot for a piece of cel animation. You cannot go wrong with a black chick in Ancient Egyptian garb. Now all they need to do is make a live-action version...

quote:
What I cannot comprehend is that, if Zahi Hawass is so upset over what he perceives as a phenotypical misrepresentation of the Ancient Egyptians, why can't he just say so, instead of resorting to these underhanded tactics?

^ Underhanded tactics are the most effective when you are engaged in a propaganda lie.

Look at how he's handled the recent Tut and Nefertiti controversies, and you should be able to make and assessment of his modus operundi.

quote:
quote:
What I cannot comprehend is that, if Zahi Hawass is so upset over what he perceives as a phenotypical misrepresentation of the Ancient Egyptians, why can't he just say so, instead of resorting to these underhanded tactics?

^ Underhanded tactics are the most effective when you are engaged in a propaganda lie.
Yes, but would it really cause that much trouble for him to get people on his side by simply stating that, as an Egyptian, he feels misrepresented by "black" depictions of AEs?

Yes.

It would be recognised as overtly racist as he has never had any criticism of European white depictions of Kemetians and he never will, since that would be biting the hand that feeds him.

Hawass strategy of covert racism is much more effective.

You don't scream...SHE LOOKS TOO BLACK....
 -

...instead you say...too young, too old, probably male and not female. The idea is to case aspirtions on and unpleasant fact by whatever means is available, the more underhanded, the better [the kemophobic km.t deniers also utilise this approach].

That's how the game is played, young one. [Cool]

Posted by Gedegbe (Member # 9216) on :

Couldn't you announce a spoiler? You just ruined this movie I'm going the see next week!

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

quote:
March 9, 2007

Princess of the Sun

It is a public news story. Nobody here spoiled anything other than yourself, seeing as how you read the thread knowing it may contain info about the film, ie. Spoilers.

The important thing is where are you going to see it?

Posted by Gedegbe (Member # 9216) on :

quote:
It is a public news story. Nobody here spoiled anything other than yourself, seeing as how you read the thread knowing it may contain info about the film, ie. Spoilers.

??? ...

quote:
The important thing is where are you going to see it?
In a Parisian theater.

Posted by abdulkarem3 (Member # 12885) on :

-  -  -
just contrasting

-

Media 2001: Maatkara Brings Ancient Egypt to the Web

Earth, 9002 A.D: Now a forgotten planet on the edge of a distant galaxy, Earth is in danger. And its inhabitants, descendants of ancient Egyptians who live deep within the planet's core, must depend for their lives on a reluctant heroine.

Maatkara, a Flash animated series on the web. A first run of 13 episodes is planned. Created, written and illustrated by Ethiopian artist Dawit Lessanu, the series stars the voice of R&B singer Amel Larrieux as its heroine, Princess Maat daughter of the great warrior Amen Ra.

A mix of Egyptian religion, cutting-edge technology and pure imagination, Maatkara adds an element often missing from science fiction, animation and general entertainment.

Through his multimedia company, Stimulation Station, Lessanu caught the attention of folks over at SCIFI.com who were excited to put the cartoon on the line-up and bring this Flash-based animation to life.

-

MENTUHOTEP
Wise, loyal and just, Mentu serves as the protector and teacher of the Chosen One. As a younger man he was a fierce warrior who fought to defeat Set, the God of Chaos. When his dear friend AhmenRa disappeared through the portal to the surface world, Mentu himself went into exile, where he has remained for many years. Now that the Sirius B prophecy has been fulfilled, Mentu has emerged from the shadows to protect and lead the Chosen One. Though often serving as the voice of reason, he is quick to engage in battle.

PRINCESS MAAT
Princess Maat has been raised as the younger daughter of King Ptah and Queen Hatshepsut. A child of gentle nature and unusual sensitivity, she has spent her life preparing to become a spiritual leader of her people. Maat excels in all aspects of her training and has far surpassed everyone, save the Oracles, in her powers of prophecy and healing. Despite her clairvoyant abilities and serene demeanor, as she grows older she has become increasingly troubled by an inner turmoil she can't understand, a war between her gentle soul and a darker, hidden element of her nature.

http://www.scifi.com/maatkara/episodes/ep5.html

^They should get Suwedi to do the animation! His style is a hell of a lot better!! [Razz]

PRINCESS OF THE SUN surpasses all expectations

A month has passed since the world premiere and release of the most expensive French- Belgian 2D film of the year, PRINCESS OF THE SUN. It has created an unprecedented buildup at the box office. Defiantly a sight to see and a historical change in what Egypt has long stereotyped as third place in market share!

Princess of the Sun has captured critic's eyes & renowned International press such as Le Figaro and Le Film Français, branding it "An astonishing faithful adaptation of Akhenaton's era."

The film plays on six prints across Egypt & has been released in France by Rezo Films International on April 4th and has been on the top ten box office ever since. [Source]

Posted by Tyrannosaurus (Member # 3735) on :

quote:
^They should get Suwedi to do the animation! His style is a hell of a lot better!! [Razz]

Does this and Princess of the Sun represent a growing trend in modern media to depict Ancient Egyptians as black? Are there any other examples of this happening?

Posted by neokem (Member # 13211) on :

African Americans have been doing it in the comic book medium for years.

I dont know if that qualifies as modern media though.

quote:
What I cannot comprehend is that, if Zahi Hawass is so upset over what he perceives as a phenotypical misrepresentation of the Ancient Egyptians, why can't he just say so, instead of resorting to these underhanded tactics? It's not as if the media would ignore him or go against him if he openly railed against these portrayals---if anything, most would show sympathy towards him, since he is an Egyptian, after all.

-

He's awfully handsome for a probable villain, actually. I wonder if he will develop a relationship with any of the major female characters?

Oh, and the Akhesa chick looks hot for a piece of cel animation. You cannot go wrong with a black chick in Ancient Egyptian garb. Now all they need to do is make a live-action version...

Easy...blatant racism is looked down upon by the West now (the people he's appealing to, white Westerners...no offense). His educated opinions and career would be questioned if people thought he was some ethnic supremist. So he's forced to resort to these underhanded tactics to appear as if he's against it for another reason. When in reality, everyone knows why he got Fletcher banned and everyone knows why he's against this film. It's sort of like the "don't ask, don't tell" thing. Everyone knows, but everyone doesn't know.

quote:
Originally posted by King_Scorpion:
quote:

-

Easy...blatant racism is looked down upon by the West now (the people he's appealing to, white Westerners...no offense). His educated opinions and career would be questioned if people thought he was some ethnic supremist. So he's forced to resort to these underhanded tactics to appear as if he's against it for another reason. When in reality, everyone knows why he got Fletcher banned and everyone knows why he's against this film. It's sort of like the "don't ask, don't tell" thing. Everyone knows, but everyone doesn't know.
Lol! So true. In fact, I would say that it is his JOB to lie. So much of Egyptology and Egypt's artifacts are under the control of foreigners that even Hawass and the so-called Egyptian run antiquities service are actually on the payroll of foreign institutions. European institutions finance most of the major digs. European archaeologists do most of the digging. European institutions do most of the publishing. European institutions are financing the new DNA lab. All of which makes Hawass and other Egyptian nationals mere figureheads and front men for a still largely European controlled institution. Therefore, they will continue to b used for propaganda purposes by these same institutions. It is sad really, when MOST of your countries history is in FOREIGN hands and they dont want to even LOAN your own stuff back to you, as if you DONT have a right to it. All this after hundreds of years of OUTRIGHT THEFT of antiquities from Egypt, with nothing more than a "gentleman's agreement" with some NON EGYPTIAN ruling elites, that supposedly made it all fair and square. It is all totally and absolutely ridiculous. In other words, it is only "FAIR" for the Europeans to have it for THEIR OWN EUROCENTRIC research, as Egypt is certainly not European in ANY sense, but to legitimize this Eurocentric approach, they need front men to make it all seem legit...... In other words, Hawass and company, paid spokesmen for the European Disney Egypt.

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannosaurus:
quote:

Does this and Princess of the Sun represent a growing trend in modern media to depict Ancient Egyptians as black? Are there any other examples of this happening?
I think so. Not only this, but that HBO show 'Rome' is also different in it's depiction of Egyptians. Even though, it takes place in the Ptolemy era...so the Egyptian rulers are still white. But this one scene in Season 2 had all of the Egyptian people with Cleopatra dark-skinned Blacks...Cleopatra was the only one out of the whole entourage who was white...lol. I emplore everyone to download the torrent for season 1 and 2 (if you have the disk space) because the show is damn good. And we're all history buffs here anyway.

I found this shocking on SCIFI.com though...

Peoples, Places, and Deities

quote:
The ancient Egyptians were referred to as the Khamu. They trace their origins to the interior, southern lands of Africa — specifically, to a territory referred to as Kush. Both regions shared strong cultural ties. The Khamu believed themselves decendents of these people, and they expressed it in their art and writings.

Although Khamit as a civilization made a profound cultural influence on the Middle East and the southern region of Africa, it made its greatest impact on the Western world, much of it via contact and trade with their neighbors, the Greeks. Khamitic influence is evident even today in the form of religion, philosophy, mathematics, physics, law, medicine, astronomy, date calendars, modes of attire, and dietary practices. Indeed, one need only look at a one-dollar U.S. currency note to see the wonderous symbols used in Khamit's ancient days. Much of the United States' capital city is designed in the spirit of Egyptian architecture, celebrating its grandeur and majesty.

In the face of evidence, the walls come crumbling down...

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by King_Scorpion:
quote:

-

Lol! So true. In fact, I would say that it is his JOB to lie. So much of Egyptology and Egypt's artifacts are under the control of foreigners that even Hawass and the so-called Egyptian run antiquities service are actually on the payroll of foreign institutions. European institutions finance most of the major digs. European archaeologists do most of the digging. European institutions do most of the publishing. European institutions are financing the new DNA lab. All of which makes Hawass and other Egyptian nationals mere figureheads and front men for a still largely European controlled institution. Therefore, they will continue to b used for propaganda purposes by these same institutions. It is sad really, when MOST of your countries history is in FOREIGN hands and they dont want to even LOAN your own stuff back to you, as if you DONT have a right to it. All this after hundreds of years of OUTRIGHT THEFT of antiquities from Egypt, with nothing more than a "gentleman's agreement" with some NON EGYPTIAN ruling elites, that supposedly made it all fair and square. It is all totally and absolutely ridiculous. In other words, it is only "FAIR" for the Europeans to have it for THEIR OWN EUROCENTRIC research, as Egypt is certainly not European in ANY sense, but to legitimize this Eurocentric approach, they need front men to make it all seem legit...... In other words, Hawass and company, paid spokesmen for the European Disney Egypt.
I don't know if I'd call HawASS a frontman per se, but I get your point. It's more convient to pander to the hands that feed you through funding, tourism and whatnot...than it is to be truthful about what's going on. But I think those systems of control are being seen for what they are.

Posted by Tyrannosaurus (Member # 3735) on :

quote:
Originally posted by neokem:
African Americans have been doing it in the comic book medium for years.

I dont know if that qualifies as modern media though.

Yes, but I meant the white-controlled "mainstream" media (apologies). Sorry, but the only way you can really make a difference in the general public's perception of Kemet is through the white media. Yes, most African-Americans consider Ancient Egypt to be black, but most white people don't, and since white people are the dominant group in America, their Egypt is the one that gets the mainstream media treatment.

Posted by Mystery Solver (Member # 9033) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannosaurus:

Yes, but I meant the white-controlled "mainstream" media (apologies). Sorry, but the only way you can really make a difference in the general public's perception of Kemet is through the white media. Yes, most African-Americans consider Ancient Egypt to be black, but most white people don't, and since white people are the dominant group in America, their Egypt is the one that gets the mainstream media treatment.

Of course, what "most white people" think [though I'm not sure what poll you are basing this on] is irrelevant to what the "objective thinking community" thinks. The "objective community(s)" [meaning whether 'black' or 'white'] has already reached the logical conclusion, which is that: Ancient Egyptians were indigenous Africans from a Saharo-tropical African base. This pseudo-stuff about what amounts to an 'apartheid in consciousness', with regards to what "most black people think" vs. what "most white people think", has no place in the objective community. In the end, the objective community usually prevails, whatever their numbers, as demonstrated in the past with the 'flat earth' viewpoint. Portraying ancient Egyptians as non-indigenous Africans is akin to the same intellectual level as that symbolized by the 'flat earth'-thinking, or 'extraterrestrials creating ancient Egyptian cultural complex".

^I couldn't agree more.

Here's a review from...Variety International

Man! I wish I could see this movie...

Posted by Alive-(What Box) (Member # 10819) on :

^^Nicely said Mystery Solver.

Posted by Ebony Allen (Member # 12771) on :

I don't know how I could've missed this thread. This is excellent information. As soon as I saw the article on the first page I knew the real reason why Hawass was angry: they were portrayed as black and not a North African white person. I want to see this movie. Anyone know if this movie has an English version and if it's been released here in the U.S.?

Posted by sportbilly (Member # 14122) on :

Aw, Djehuti, animation is one of my [rime interests. I'd love to see any Japanese animation house go to town on this Maatkari project. Think the guys who did Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.
On second thought they cost a few sheckels, so maybe we shouldn't but you get the idea...

The screencaps of this French movie are okay, but they look like pure imitation Disney stuff, and frankly I'm SICK of the anime-like look that's come into every dang cartoon that's been made in the last fifteen years. I want someone to bring back the conventional style of drawing characters. OK, end of rant.

Also I think it can't be overstressed that most peoples percetion of the ancient Egyptians are informed alsmot exclusively by Hollywood. Truly. Ask them what they know about Egypt and they can't tell you ANYTHING. They haven't seen the wall murals, the papyrus drawings or the sculptures.
So all they know is that Lon Chaney played an arab Mummy in 1913, that Cecil B Demille showed them white Egyptians in The Ten Commandments (with the blacks being portrayed as Zulu's --the Ostrich feathers and such, when in fact even a cursory search would have shown the Ethipoian kings dressed much like the Egtyptians) or what Stephen Sommers showed them in The Mummy. And yes, the Medjay were black men in that movie, but only in ancient Egypt. three thousand years later they were a bunch of fair-skinned arabs. So Sommers a self-described "research-hound" (who I regard as a good filmamker and who most of the time does do his womework, even if his filmmaking doesn't show it) could only bring himself to tell a half-truth.

We should really be putting more effort into cinematic and TV works which set the record straight. That special showing Nefertiti as she really was was great, but since it was only a stand-alone work, it becomes overwhelmed because it stands in isolation. One or two accurate presentations every few years won't be enough. TV and movies were where people's mind became corrupted en masse. Far as I'm concerned, thats the front lines.

^ I agree with everything you said (especially on animation), except for a few things. The blacks in the movie 'The Ten Commandments' were supposedly Kushites, but they really did wear them. However, certain Egyptian gods and even royal headdresses featured ostrich feathers. As for the Medjay from 'The Mummy', there are no modern 'Medjay' let alone fair-skinned Arab descendants but the Medjay of ancient Egypt were indeed black as were the Egyptians.

Posted by sportbilly (Member # 14122) on :

^^^
I agree that "Nubians" (as they were called in the movie, of course we know it was acutally Kushites) were featured in the movie as well, and were called Nubians by name, but those guys didn't show up until much later when the children of Israel were finally freed.
Though a few of them did escort Moses Egyptian mother to Ghosn, as well as cart some of the Egyptians around on a litter.
As for the "Ethiopians" I'm talking about. When Moses is first introduced he's returning from a successful campaign down south, with barges of tribute. He claps his hands and says, "I give to you, Ethiopia!" Then the king and queen step forward. Seti calls them Ethiopia, as does the royal page.
I'm not too ashamed to say I have The Ten Commandments on DVD but rarely watch it.

We'll keep our fingers crossed about that animation thing! [Big Grin]

^ Actually that is not true. Egyptians have been engaged with relations with Kushites since the early part of the Middle Kingdom.

It was only in the beginning of the New Kingdom that they were conquered by Egypt. Besides, there is still the debate as to what period of Egyptian history did the 'Exodus' happen, if it ever did happen.

Posted by Alive-(What Box) (Member # 10819) on :

quote:
Wow rasol, you just totally made Hawass look more an ass!

Well, technically, he did that himself, but you just proved moreso that he's an ass.

LOL , speaking of lol, ...

quote:
^ Of course, you're not making any sense.

*Ancient Egypt* is a historical reality.

Any fictional depiction of it runs the risk of seeming to be historically accurate, and virtually no fictional dipiction of it ever has been.

When you have white actors depicting the Medijay....
 -

....that's a gruesomely twisted distortion of history.

But according to you, this is somehow less agregious than Hawass triffling complaints over matters of trivia in and animated fictional film?

Hawass is a racially motiviated hypocrite and has no credibility on this issue.

l.o.l., I've never seen these models of the medjay before. Oh, Mummy movies.. .

A CLIP from a random scene from the cartoon film

Hmm, since thah pic on ma previous post know longer shows up, I'll quote it, edited witha pic that shows, and an additional one to boot.

quote:
quote:
quote:
 -
 -

-

^ good one rasol.

quote:
Yonis: I think it's the leader of the Hittites.
O
quote:
Is it?

Why would Horemheb be wearing Nubi- [Big Grin] I mean Kushite garb if he was the Commander in chief a Egypt's army?

LMAO [Big Grin]
There.

(Wow, my past posts really were plain wierd as well as quite un-informed. And no, the smiley at the top of my post does not indicate I think it's funny, it indicate's I think the subject matter of this thread - which is the lengths the "West", and in particular the U.S., will go through to prevent a serious African representation of Kemet. Rediculous.)

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com