This is topic Ivan Van Sertima's books out of print and expensive in forum Egyptology at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=009037

Posted by ausar (Member # 1797) on :

All of Ivan Van Sertima's books are know out of print and mint pressings can fetch upwards of $100-400 on amazon and ebay. I wonder if these books will ever go back in print and who owns the rights to them. This information will no longer be accessible due to the price and scarcity.

Posted by Tukuler (Member # 19944) on :

I asked about that at a few cultural shops
they said his widow doesn't appear interested
although there are still a few popularly priced
journal editions available direct online here
http://www.journalofafricancivilizations.com/Books
scroll to bottom to see and order them.

The thing about donating these kinds
of independent minded African Studies,
by Afrikan people and our allies, is
most local town librariesy eventually
chock them to discard. Ask me how I know.

Thanks for the links.

Tukuler, have you ever been to Nicholas books in Brooklyn or Black and Noble in Philly?

I wish I could find some Van Sertima discards. You are right though I found alot of obscure books about Africa through discard. Most of the time some ebay seller will auction them off as little as .99. This is how I got many out-of-print and know expensive African history books.

Posted by Camwe R (Member # 14601) on :

I've got a couple of the journals plus a few cassette tapes from interviews when he would appear on certain radio stations in New York, (WLIB & WBAI).

Someday I'll have to convert the tapes to mp3s. No time soon as there are at least a coupla hundred tapes going back to the late 70's.

There are lots of his lectures already posted on youtube. The books are much harder to find and pricey.

Posted by Tukuler (Member # 19944) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Tukuler, have you ever been to Nicholas books in Brooklyn or Black and Noble in Philly?

I wish I could find some Van Sertima discards. You are right though I found alot of obscure books about Africa through discard. Most of the time some ebay seller will auction them off as little as .99. This is how I got many out-of-print and know expensive African history books.

I think Nicholas is more a culture shop
whereas Official Connection is books etc

In Philly, Hakim's was my old standby
but found excellent material from
the now gone Wm H Allen Booksellers
and more black oriented stuff from
Robin's (a white bookstore) downtown.
* Oshogbo House of Goods
* Merchants of Alkebulan
* 3rd Eye
were my mainstays for books clothes
and culture. Ask the Bass about the