This is topic Deshret and Kemet sub-forums in forum Egyptology at EgyptSearch Forums.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=009713

Posted by Punos_Rey (Member # 21929) on :

Announcing a forum change, as of now "Ancient Egypt" has been renamed to "Deshret" so as to keep topics better suited for Egyptology in Egyptology and cut down on duplication. No topics have been deleted but some have been moved. Also since Deshret seems to be more of a forum for race/history etc the description has been updated and a new sub-forum for general discussion, "Kemet", created. That should be the last tinkering with the subforums I'll be doing for a while.

Posted by BlessedbyHorus (Member # 22000) on :

Mean you mean "general discussion" for the Kemet section, what do you mean? Wouldn't the Deshret section be for general discussions?

Anyways good job.

Deshret clearly has a certain...bent...for lack of a better word.

When I say General Discussion,I mean anything off topic from the main theme of the site or that isn't covered by Deshret which seems to heavily be focused on race, politics (especially racial politics) and history. I moved some topics into Kemet which should help clarify what I mean

Deshret was done as having a subforum called "Egyptology" and "Ancient Egypt" subforum seemed redundant and confusing as evidenced by the numerous duplicate threads between the two. Kemet may turn out to be an unneeded forum and if so I'll just deactivate it

On the other hand there may still be some overlap between the forums regardless but hopefully this cuts down on it.

Posted by BlessedbyHorus (Member # 22000) on :

^Gotcha.

Posted by the lioness, (Member # 17353) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Punos_Rey:
[QB] Deshret clearly has a certain...bent...for lack of a better word.

“The Black Land” of Egypt referred to the strip of rich, fertile land along the Nile River. On both sides of the river were the Deshret (Red Lands) the harsh deserts where no one lived and few traveled.

I chose the name for a reason.

Posted by Narmerthoth (Member # 20259) on :

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:

“The Black Land” of Egypt referred to the strip of rich, fertile land along the Nile River. On both sides of the river were the Deshret (Red Lands) the harsh deserts where no one lived and few traveled.
The Red Crown representing lower Egypt (North lands) which really is more appropriate for Egyptology section since virtually all discussions focus on New Kingdom while rarely any discussions focus on the upper Egypt (southern) Old Kingdom (White Crown).

Perhaps, the AE section can be best described as the site's Djed.
If it were Babylonian history, perhaps Hanging Gardens, since Budge attributes their destruction to Arabs lacking the technical skills to maintain them...but, that's Budge for you.
New Cairo? Aigoo!

Posted by Tukuler (Member # 19944) on :

Basically we had two communities before.
One bent on mainstream
The other was an alternative to mainstream.

I was pleased if I posted to the one
I wouldn't have to worry about seeing
replies that seriously proposed hollow
earth, the biblical flood, or alien race
'theories' up in the thread.

Now wont utter nonsense be right
in the mix with molecular biology?

I mean something like pyramidioticy
is not really Egyptology. How to keep
it out? Also if discussing Europe for
instance, without an alternate stream
forum, what serious readership wants
black Charlemagne or black Vercingetorix
wasting their time?

Europe, not Africa is the birth place of humanity.

This is the 1st thread in Egyptology beneath the sticks.

quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
One bent on mainstream

wasting their time?

"Alternative theories" is included in the description for Deshret so wouldn't that take care of your concerns as far as fringe theories polluting Egyptology?

Watching the thread feedback so keep posting you guys thoughts

I heard Lawrence Otis Graham posts in Egyptology.

The OKOP guy? You're lying lmao

Edit@Lioness: please clear some space in your pms so I can respond

quote:
The OKOP guy? You're lying lmao

Edit@Lioness: please clear some space in your pms so I can respond

Yeah, that's him. About 4-5 years ago I heard that

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
One bent on mainstream

wasting their time?

"Alternative theories" is included in the description for Deshret so wouldn't that take care of your concerns as far as fringe theories polluting Egyptology?

Watching the thread feedback so keep posting you guys thoughts

I don't think so judging from Osirion's
Hyksos Children of Israel posts in the
Ancient Egyptian Mummy Genomes thread.

Posted by the questioner (Member # 22195) on :

quote:
quote:

Do you have a dictionary written by an ancient Egyptian that proves that Kemet means "black land"?
or are you regurgitating some later theory

the truth is the ancient Egyptians called their nation "black" (kemet) and called themselves "black people (kemetu)
(the ancient Greeks and Romans saw the ancient Egyptians as being black skinned, melas, ater)

Anything outside of that is conjecture

quote:
Originally posted by the questioner:
quote:
quote:

Do you have a dictionary written by an ancient Egyptian that proves that Kemet means "black land"?

the truth is the ancient Egyptians called their nation "black" (kemet) and called themselves "black people (kemetu)
(the ancient Greeks and Romans saw the ancient Egyptians as being black skinned, melas, ater)

I didn't mention the word kemet so your question doesn't make sense

quote:

Egyptians...called themselves "black people"

The Egyptians did not call themselves black people

It is unwise to ask me for references on something I didn't say and at the same time make statements of which you have no references.
As usual you bring little to the table

Do I have to drudge up AE
lit on this again. tL stop
pretending you know
anything about
this at all.

You have done no translation
of primary documents and
have no clue as to the
language or writing.

Posted by DD'eDeN (Member # 21966) on :

This new forum stuff is unfamiliar.

I am concerned about the opinion that "biblical flood" is somehow not appropriate, but unsure where the subject should be discussed.

Posted by Doug M (Member # 7650) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:

You are right Kemet literally means the black nation state, municipality with the "black people. The heiroglyph literally includes the symbol for nation, municipality or built up area but folks try to pretend this equates to KMT = "the black soil"...

Actually, speaking of symbolism, I have some ideas on topics related to symbolism from AE (squaring the circle, etc) and I wonder where I should put it. This isn't "alternative" theory at all and something we don't discuss enough on this forum.

quote:
Originally posted by DD'eDeN:
This new forum stuff is unfamiliar.

I am concerned about the opinion that "biblical flood" is somehow not appropriate, but unsure where the subject should be discussed.

post it in Deshret
Egyptology is for Egypt and related genetics

quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:

You are right Kemet literally means the black nation state, municipality with the "black people. The heiroglyph literally includes the symbol for nation, municipality or built up area but folks try to pretend this equates to KMT = "the black soil"...

Actually, speaking of symbolism, I have some ideas on topics related to symbolism from AE (squaring the circle, etc) and I wonder where I should put it. This isn't "alternative" theory at all and something we don't discuss enough on this forum. [/QB]

Recall I never mentioned the word kemet. I had spoken on the word Deshret which refers to the red lands, of desert and I was commenting on the name of this forum

Now somebody is talking about the word KMt (Kemet)
(no vowels in the Egyptian language, added in transliteration in many assumed variations)

The word Kemet means black and it means Egypt

Were the Egyptians trying to convey by this that black Egypt was black because it was a nation in Africa of people who had black skin?

Or was the black referring to something else? This is unknown

quote:

Egyptians...called themselves "black people"

KM is compound to many words indicating black color. However KMt is not compound to a words for "people". One might look at as meaning the Black nation and Deshret as the red territory of desert in Egypt.

So it is unknown as to what the black of the word KMt which means Egypt is referring to that is unknown.

The Egyptians frequently talk about their enemies various ethnic groups or nations
You will not find in Egyptian text, colors that are placed in association with words for people, nor that the colors relate to skin color

So that is the context

See how the mindset of ES posters work?

Where even a forum rules posting thread can rapidly transform to an Egyptology/AE thread and flip-flop back to a modern philosophical mindset discussion with the speed of a post, or the next

Posted by capra (Member # 22737) on :

wrong thread

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com