EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Hetheru's Corner » Black UK Actors in US Media (TV/Film) It Upsets some US Blacks Why? » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Tehutimes
Member # 21712
 - posted
UK Black performers getting major roles in US films/tv annoys certain US Blacks why is that?

xyyman
Member # 13597
 - posted
White UK actors, news people are also flooding the media. Reality cooking shows etc.

I had a friend(black)from the UK. Hired to several jobs in the front office because employer wanted the British accent and not Ebonics. Just kidding.....sort of

kdolo
Member # 21830
 - posted
The goal in America is too always marginalize Black Americans....

Black Americans are the wealthiest, most educated, most poliyically alert, and most conscious Blacks in the world....

Whited always look to displace them where possible in order to deprive them thr opportunity to make money and increase status.

They use Euro immigrants, non Black Latinos, Asians, West Indians, and now UK Blacks....

UK Black actors are AFRICANS....therefore less alert to white supremacy and morr compliant to it. They arr more likely to take roles they shouldnt and do so for less money.

Truthcentric
Member # 3735
 - posted
I don't get why Hollywood would favor Afro-British actors over native-born African-American ones, if they even do. Like xyyman said, it probably has more to do with a larger Anglophilia trend.

I have observed that conservatives here in the US have taken to portraying affluent Afro-Caribbean and African immigrants as new "model minorities" which they can use to bludgeon native-born, "culturally degenerate" African-Americans. It should be obvious that anyone who can afford moving to America from a developing nation aren't necessarily representative of their original nation's population, but no one ever praised conservatives for common sense.

It doesn't help that there really is some mutual hostility between certain ethnic groups within the Diaspora. I used to frequent this interracial dating blog targeted at a black female readership, but over time the Afro-Caribbean owner's thinly veiled bias against African-Americans in general (especially men, but also women) unsettled me. Many of her commentators exuded the same prejudice, even those who identified as African-American themselves. It was disturbingly ironic to see a website about different cultures inviting such inter-cultural bickering.

In fairness, I understand the blog owner and her supporters have experienced unwarranted flack from black separatists, anti-"fetishization" social justice zealots, and other trolls who harass them for dating whomever they want. I also agree with many of the owner's articles on certain topics, albeit not the part where she puts down the larger African-American community. I'm just damn tired of seeing any subgroup within the African Diaspora get put down.

BlessedbyHorus
Member # 22000
 - posted
Good post Truthcentric. [Smile]

kdolo
Member # 21830
 - posted
I already explained to you what is going on...

It has nothing to do with Anglophilia.

Any Black but the Black American us the motto !

Why was Obama accepted ?????

1/2 White
1/2 AFRICAN !!!!

Why is Michelle Obama always maligned ???

She is BLACK AMERICAN

hence her attitude, she will NEVER buy into Albino bullshit.....she knows who they really are and what they are really about.....

kdolo
Member # 21830
 - posted
Many West Indians and Africans due to the propaganda end up believing Albinos point of view on American Blacks.....

Its is typically after 30+ years living in the US and having children that they start to figure things out......their children typically drop the anti Black American nonsense.

West Indians are much further advanced than Africans though....

The most radical Civil Rights activists typically have been West Indian.. descent ....

kdolo
Member # 21830
 - posted
The main Black beneficiaries of Affirmative action have been:

2nd generation West Indians
and 1.5 - 2nd Generation Africans...

Most Black graduates of the selective universities and graduate schools are from the these two groups.

Affirmative Action was supposed to be for BLACK AMERICANS........

xyyman
Member # 13597
 - posted
To add more salt to the wound. Hindu Indians are also considered. Because of the color of their skin. And they are one of the most racist ethnic groups against Africans. Go figure.

quote:
Originally posted by kdolo:
The main Black beneficiaries of Affirmative action have been:
Affirmative Action was supposed to be for BLACK AMERICANS........

Truthcentric
Member # 3735
 - posted
quote:
Why was Obama accepted ?????

1/2 White
1/2 AFRICAN !!!!

Why is Michelle Obama always maligned ???

She is BLACK AMERICAN

I don't disagree that Barack Obama's mixed heritage probably benefited him on a political level, in that a black candidate with less visible European ancestry wouldn't appeal so much to non-blacks. I certainly agree that racism underlies the majority of the hostility towards his wife and children, since they don't have the same political influence as Mr. Obama himself does. Where we disagree is whether the President himself is getting more of a pass than his wife because his father was Kenyan rather than African-American.

If anything, it's precisely because of Mr. Obama's Kenyan heritage that the Republicans claim he's unqualified for the Presidency. If his dad were a run-of-the-mill African-American from, say, Harlem, they couldn't get away with questioning his birthplace and nationality. That Obama's dad came straight from Africa may also factor into the "witch doctor" and "lying African" insults. On the other hand, a lot of the tropes in anti-Obama propaganda attack either African-American culture (e.g. any cartoon linking him to watermelons or fried chicken) or black people in general (e.g. accusations of black supremacist ideology). Of course, quite a number of Republicans probably couldn't distinguish all the different "black" cultures from one another to begin with.

Again, I agree that there is a divide-and-conquer approach taken to the different Afro-Diasporan communities, but I don't think the scenario you propose accounts for most public opinion on the Obamas.

xyyman
Member # 13597
 - posted
^this youth is becoming a man

the lioness,
Member # 17353
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Tehutimes:
UK Black performers getting major roles in US films/tv annoys certain US Blacks why is that?

give examples, most foks here aren't familiar with this

mena7
Member # 20555
 - posted
The UK, USA, Jamaica, Bahamas etc are part of the same British cultural, economic, banking and political system. The Holy Wood magician aka movie producers can use black actors from different countries of the British system.

Habsburg
Member # 21824
 - posted
The reason is quite simple. It is to avoid the growth and development of a class of people who can be described as Black cultural nobility, something like a landed noble class who can set proper cultural role models and manners for all African Americans to follow.

Consider someone like Lupita Nyongo. Her role could have easily been played by a similarly complexioned African American actress, and all the cachet surrounding her image could have accrued to a native Black American. But does American want that? No. The same could equally apply to personalities like Iman, Ubah Hassan, Alek Wek and all the other "dark-skinned" African fashion celebrities.

Nicki Minaj, Beyonce and Jay Z, housewives of Atlanta and Youtube twerkers are what the image of native African Americans is supposed to be like. In the modelling world they can have Tyra Banks and in pop music they can have Fantasia (I love Fantasia).

Consider the attraction that some white actors developed for Lupita going to a native African American woman and how it could easily result in stronger attraction and greater interest by young white males in so called "dark skinned" Black women. Do you understand it now? Once Americans unite across color lines the current political system is done for.

The American political system likes to boost smaller minority groups and newly arrived immigrants because they don't constitute a ballot office threat to white domination. It is now focused on a campaign to import more Latinos to balance out Blacks who are beginning to realize that they need better political organization than what is provided by the NAACP, Urban League and the whole dysfunctional Black leadership system.

Investing and imbuing the image of native African Americans with class is most definitely not on Hollywood's agenda, and not even on that of the so called Black Entertainment Industrial Complex. Cosby shows are out. Basketball Wives, Preachers of LA, Strippers of Atlanta, Father with 8 Baby Mummies and 14 Children are the new African American media normal.

the lioness,
Member # 17353
 - posted
quote:

Habsburg, above this the topic UK Actors

You are from London, yet you have not addressed the topic, not mentioned one British actor

But then again neither has the thread starter

/close thread

kdolo
Member # 21830
 - posted
Truth,

You are wrong. People are very aware that Pres Obama is not Black American. Doxie fears them the most..........the idea that become a Cromwell type and get access to power with which visit retribution upon Whites.....

Michelle Obama is treated with extreme hostility.....it is due to the fact that she is a non shucking and jiving Black American.

Idris Elba, Lupita Nyongo, David Owoloyo, Chiwitel Ojiofor, Carmen Ejogo, ....

Habsburg
Member # 21824
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:

Habsburg, above this the topic UK Actors

You are from London, yet you have not addressed the topic, not mentioned one British actor

But then again neither has the thread starter

/close thread

Do you know any people anywhere in the world who like jobs they expect to be theirs go to foreign immigrants? I thought the reason should be pretty obvious to you.

Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Habsburg:
Do you know any people anywhere in the world who like jobs they expect to be theirs go to foreign immigrants? I thought the reason should be pretty obvious to you.

So you think US black actors are more happy when the acting job goes to another US actor instead of an UK actor? *fail*

Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:

give examples, most foks here aren't familiar with this
Still waiting Tehutimes...

*fail*

kdolo
Member # 21830
 - posted
So you think US black actors are more happy when the acting job goes to another US actor instead of an UK actor? *fail*

the better way to ask this question is whther US black actors are upset when an acting job goes to a UK/African black instead of an US black ??

the answer is yes.... and if not upset they are certainly asking the same questions we are asking here.

Troll Patrol # Ish Gebor
Member # 18264
 - posted
quote:
Truth,

You are wrong. People are very aware that Pres Obama is not Black American. Doxie fears them the most..........the idea that become a Cromwell type and get access to power with which visit retribution upon Whites.....

Michelle Obama is treated with extreme hostility.....it is due to the fact that she is a non shucking and jiving Black American.

Idris Elba, Lupita Nyongo, David Owoloyo, Chiwitel Ojiofor, Carmen Ejogo, ....

Thandie Newton, Karla Crome. Amongst others....

lamin
Member # 5777
 - posted
quote:
The answer is yes.... and if not upset they are certainly asking the same questions we are asking here.
Another bout of ignorance displayed here. The 2 films that the narrow exclusivists are implicitly focusing on are "12 years a Slave" and "Selma". Well, U.S. blacks are some 40-45 million--bigger than Canada, Australia, Spain, so it's a huge puzzle why their actors have to depend on Hollywood for roles. Canada, Australia, Ghana, Kenya all have local film industries, Nigeria's film industry, though of mixed quality,produces hundreds of films for local, continental, and extra-continental viewers.

"12 years a Slave" was directed by a so-called "Black British" and "Selma" was directed by a black female who produced a well-received low-budget film with a British Nigerian actor as King. The lead actors were chosen by the directors who were satisfied with their performances. Hollywood is run mainly by whites and other whites as who identify as Jews. But Hollywood was set up by Jews and they still run it--even though they are less than 2% of the U.S. population.

So what is there to prevent directors like Spike Lee to direct a film lie "12 Years a Slave" and "Selma". Then he can hire whichever actors fit the bill.

Attitudes seem to be based on narrow and simple-minded ethnocentricities--as if AAs are always helpless at the hands and dictates of whites--and that they are just an exclusive section of the world's African peoples. But they are not. DNA and casual phenotypical observations show that they are part and parcel of the African world--in much the same way that people casually speak of the "Arab World", the "Jewish people", "the Asian World", etc.

Two other points: AA actors played leading roles in films about Mandela. No complaints from Africa. White actors from Australia, Britain, Canada, etc. frequently play leading roles in Hollywood films. Who complains?

Red, White, and Blue + Christian
Member # 10893
 - posted
African Americans and West Indians are the same people. Forty percent of the ancestors of the African Americans came through the West Indies and after The American Revolution, thousands of African Americans who supported the British were sent to the English speaking West Indies. The main difference in the United States is between Northern African Americans and Southern African Americans. When Black immigrants come to the USA, they usually settle in NYC or LA and that’s where the action is. They don’t go to Mobile, Alabama. My maternal ancestors were from the deep South, but they came to New York long before the Civil Rights Era and were able to integrate decades before the Southern Blacks. There is resentment over this.

Black Northerners voted and did everything Black Southerners said that they could not do. The also West Indians came North through Ellis Island and skipped the extreme horrors of South racism. New York ended Slavery in 1827 on July the 4. While, Southern Blacks had to wait 38 years. Slavery ended in the British colonies of the West Indies in 1832. Those years make a difference and it has an effect even today.

West Indians used to do better in school than African Americans. That is no longer the case.

Michele O. has a higher popularity than her husband our Kushite pharaoh who I voted for twice.

Nikki Minaj is Trinidadian with African origin father and Indian origin mother.

I am African American and we admire West Indians: Harry Belafonte, Sidney Poitier. Oscar winner Sidney Poitier from Cat Island is the great role model for countless African American actors who have followed him. Who doesn’t love Rihanna? I am a New Yorker, and our First Lady of NYC is West Indian. In our Democratic Primary for mayor, Bill Thompson who lost to Bill De Blasio is West Indian.

Robert De Niro's wives gave been of Caribbean descent (HINT).

If you look closely, many of the controversial racial incidents in NYC involve West Indians.
Africans and West Indian elites (diplomats and heads of countries) send their kids to Ivy League colleges. The richest Black man and women on earth are both Nigerian. Southern Blacks are more likely to send their kids to local HBCUs. Since, there are so many African billionaires and the housing foreclosure scandal has taken away billions of dollars away from total African American wealth, I’m not sure exactly which African population is number one. If Black America is number one, then Nigeria must be number two. African American success came from a Christian foundation – JESUS.

The Black church is the foundation for everything. Missionaries told Africans read the Bible and do what it says. The Africans did that from Ghana to South Africa to Kenya and God is blessing them. The UK actors who portrayed Samuel Northrup and Rev. Dr. MLKing are of Yoruba/Igbo descent and those tribes are very Christian and some are even Jewish. God is blessing them.

Hollywood is #1, Bollywood is #2 and Nollywood is #3 Worldwide.

xyyman
Member # 13597
 - posted
You said a lot there.

Did not know De Blasio's wife was an island gal.

But I am not sure "God is blessing Blacks". I have a problem with that statement.

But indeed Church/faith helped our foreparents through slavery. Next steps?

Snakepit1
Member # 21736
 - posted
^^
I don't agree with the Christian thing, that religion was POISON for our people. Most of the citizens of the African countries which you mentioned Red, White, and Blue + Christian, are DIRT POOR & landless. Africans in Africa aren't better off than Africans in the diaspora.

Great personalities such as Harriet Tubman rejected the teachings of the New Testament in favor of the tales of freedom, redemption & god rescuing his people from bondage in the Old Testament. The NT is the "christian part" of the bible, which is why Christians don't care about the mosaic laws & eat pork and other abominable things..

As for the whole Black American Vs African/Diasporan African is complete and UTTER CRAP. Black Americans are Africans too, I don't understand why they feel the need to separate themselves from everybody else. If my American African brethren so desperately want some of their own to portray their own historical figures, then make the darn movies yourselves! Nobody's keeping 40+ million from doing that!

Red, White, and Blue + Christian
Member # 10893
 - posted
I said a lot and today's my last day at EgyptSearch. It's been nice knowing y'all.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bobmarley/buffalosoldier.html

zarahan- aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718
 - posted
Truthcentric says:
It should be obvious that anyone who can afford moving to America from a developing nation aren't necessarily representative of their original nation's population, but no one ever praised conservatives for common sense.

But they aren't necessarily UNREPRESENTATIVE either.
Actually some immigrants have been among the POOREST
people moving to America. Just ask the Irish, coming
off their potato famine, or poor Caribbean immigrants to the US
in the early to mid 1900s. They were hardly "unrepresentative"
of their homelands. Quite the contrary. And in the late 1800s
when the Pannama Canal was built, it was the generally
the better off that stayed at home, while tens of thousands
of ordinary Caribbean volk, the "representative" masses
by far, that went forth to build (and die in the thousands
by the way). Some 90% of the canal labor force was Caribbean people.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com