Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Finally something good you can do with your Microwave!! » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Cats In The Craddle
Member # 12627
 - posted
I’m obviously not a fan of microwaves to heat or cook your food, but researchers have found one good use for them: killing germs on your kitchen sponge. After soaking sponges and scrubbers in dirty water (that contained everything from fecal bacteria and viruses to parasites and bacterial spores), the researchers found just two minutes in the microwave was enough to kill 99 percent of the living pathogens.

Zapping sponges in the microwave every other day will decontaminate them better than simply putting them in the dishwasher, and you should wet them first, as the heated water seemed to help the sterilization process.

Interestingly, the microwave was even able to kill B. cereus spores, which are able to survive extreme heat and radiation (though it took four minutes, not two). It’s no wonder, then, why heating food in a microwave zaps away nutrients and changes the chemical structure of foods, with virtually unknown consequences.

web page

Study: Microwaves Kill Kitchen Germs

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356
 - posted
I already do that for years. [Cool]

It's also the best way to clean the microwave itself. The humidity coming out of the sponge water makes it very easy to wipe all the dirt off the walls of the machine.

If you soak the sponge in water with some lemon juice, it will make it smell great too.

And I do that while wearing uggs. [Razz]

Thanks Cats for the info.

Ayisha
Member # 4713
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:

And I do that while wearing uggs. [Razz]

[Big Grin]

Laura
Member # 879
 - posted
I don't understand why this post has been pinned? [Confused]

necromancer
Member # 12656
 - posted
Wash your microwave easily

Place a cup of water and a few tablespoons of vinegar in a bowl and microwave for 10 mins.
Remove bowl and wipe clean.

MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by necromancer:
Wash your microwave easily

Place a cup of water and a few tablespoons of vinegar in a bowl and microwave for 10 mins.
Remove bowl and wipe clean.

Save energy and do that while you're sterilizing your sponge. [Razz]

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552
 - posted
Hmmm...a note of caution here. White vinegar can remove the lining on some microwave interiors, if used in the wrong concentration.

Laura
Member # 879
 - posted
Another warning concerning microwaves.

You should not use plastic containers or plastic wrap (cling film) in a microwave oven. Heating of plastic releases a chemical, I think it's called dioxin? into the food and it's highly carcinogenic.

In the same article from John Hopkins it stated: do not put plastic bottled water containers in the freezer, as freezing also releases these chemicals into the water.

Ayisha
Member # 4713
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:

In the same article from John Hopkins it stated: do not put plastic bottled water containers in the freezer, as freezing also releases these chemicals into the water.

I didn't know THAT [Eek!]

cultureclash
Member # 13036
 - posted
There are different types of cling film. One is made using Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC). It can contain chemicals that can be unsafe if used in the wrong way like wrapping food with high fat content such as cheese for instance.
There is some environment concern about the use of PVC for many different things because of the chemicals used to make it (like dioxins).

Another type of cling film is made from Polyethylene (PE). This does not contain these chemicals and should be safe to for fatty foods.
Unfortunately it doesn't work as well - it's not as 'clingy'.

The problem with using cling film in the microwave is that it could melt. Why do you want to microwave cling-filmed food anyway?

If it needs to be covered, use a plastic tub or put the food in a bowl and use cling film so it doesn't touch the food.

If you use cling-film then buy the right type for what you need. It is possible to buy 'microwave clingfilm' - well in the UK anyway.

The report about freezing plastic water bottles is a MYTH!
http://www.jhsph.edu/publichealthnews/articles/halden_dioxins.html
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_frozen_plastic_dioxin.htm

Always DYOR - Do Your Own Research and check the facts before believing things like this.

soozi
Member # 11108
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by cultureclash:
There are different types of cling film. One is made using Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC). It can contain chemicals that can be unsafe if used in the wrong way like wrapping food with high fat content such as cheese for instance.
There is some environment concern about the use of PVC for many different things because of the chemicals used to make it (like dioxins).

Another type of cling film is made from Polyethylene (PE). This does not contain these chemicals and should be safe to for fatty foods.
Unfortunately it doesn't work as well - it's not as 'clingy'.

The problem with using cling film in the microwave is that it could melt. Why do you want to microwave cling-filmed food anyway?

If it needs to be covered, use a plastic tub or put the food in a bowl and use cling film so it doesn't touch the food.

If you use cling-film then buy the right type for what you need. It is possible to buy 'microwave clingfilm' - well in the UK anyway.

The report about freezing plastic water bottles is a MYTH!
http://www.jhsph.edu/publichealthnews/articles/halden_dioxins.html
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_frozen_plastic_dioxin.htm

Always DYOR - Do Your Own Research and check the facts before believing things like this.

There are also different types of PVC - (3 in fact), and its all down to the stabilisation used in processing. Lead and Tin are used in two of them, but neither of these types would be used to make clingfilm - the third is no problem to come into contact with food hence why clingfilm is fine!

Habeeby
Member # 14429
 - posted
i can do lots of good things with my microwave allready [Razz] haha

Habeeby
Member # 14429
 - posted
The previouse post was my daughter again - now i will go to beat her [Big Grin]

karim
Member # 3077
 - posted
You can dry you socks in your microwave.

Slewth
Member # 16166
 - posted
For the ladies.....um...ok...there is ONE thing that I must share that you SHOULDN'T do with your microwave:

Don't try to 'sterilize' your playtoy or you will melt it!

Vader-
Member # 14189
 - posted
I think I'm having deja vu here ? :S

Maximilian
Member # 16919
 - posted
Microwave is good source to save energy....

the lioness
Member # 17353
 - posted
If you microwave your sponge the sponge starts to
great progressively softer and falls apart more eaisly

jeofjingjeff
Member # 17897
 - posted
Microwave cooking can be more energy efficient than conventional cooking because foods cook faster and the energy heats only the food, not the whole oven compartment. Microwave cooking does not reduce the nutritional value of foods. It keeps more vitamins and minerals, because microwave ovens can cook more quickly and without adding water.

Ahab
Member # 18182
 - posted
Many Egyptian Recipes on Video

chanel123
Member # 18293
 - posted
said that he has chanel chain belts has more applications than he can handle. rolex mens watch handle. He's hiring 150 workers but cheap rolex watches but has thousands
of applicants, many of designer replica handbags of whom are older and have college Yellow Gold Daytonas college degrees."They're just out of work and カルティエ アクセサリー and they just

niker
Member # 18467
 - posted
www.shoes.com.pt
MSN: shoes-trade@hotmail.com
Free courier service, drop ship, PayPal accepted, 110% low price guaranteed
Shoes.com.pt, distributor of footwear and clothing, are committed to provide you with better quality and more considerate service.

mayabandu
Member # 18475
 - posted
I thought the worst when I came to this thread! Because the original poster's name was "Cats in the Craddle" and the title of the thread was "Finally something good you can do with your Microwave!!" I was horrified that you guys were microwaving cats! I am so glad that is not the case!

tom11
Member # 19415
 - posted
Hi i am new here. I am so happy that i found this forum.... Thank for sharing this.... It was a great help for us!

krk realty

StevenGriffith
Member # 19419
 - posted
Nice info about microwave usage [Smile] . Also the food prepared in it is more healthier I think.

amazon kindle cloud reader amazon kindle cloud reader

adzmaelou
Member # 19484
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Maximilian:
Microwave is good source to save energy....

Easy cooking and easy eating [Smile] ...

blesson
Member # 20383
 - posted
microwve is good source to save energy. it is working very fast and easy. it is very helpfull in kitchen..................i like it

joanlieve
Member # 20650
 - posted
The beginning of the article comes straight to the point to display his point of view
Herve Leger Dresses: http://www.officialherveleger.com/
Christian Louboutin uk: http://www.christianlouboutin1965.co.uk/
herve leger: http://www.officialherveleger.com/news/120.html/
Christian Louboutin: http://www.christianlouboutin1965.co.uk/WiKi/92.html

bigfish
Member # 20706
 - posted
any new recipes?

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com