Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Biryani Recipe...please :) » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Laura
Member # 879
 - posted
One that you use and KNOW is good [Smile] Husband says thanks in advance [Big Grin]

Also he said it's served with some sort of "fruit?" sidedish. Anyone know about this?

chimps ..
Member # 11270
 - posted
MILD JOGURT MIXED WITH CUCUMBER AND TOMATOES AND ONIONS WE CALL IT RAITIA

AND SOME TIMES SERVED WITH LEMON

Laura
Member # 879
 - posted
Chimps, he said it's something with banana or mango in it? Have you heard of this?

Of course the last time he ate it was in London and that was 100 years ago [Wink]

chimps ..
Member # 11270
 - posted
YOU HAVE MANGO WITH YOUR PAPPADOM IM DO A LAMB WHICH HAS BANANA IN IT ,,,OR ORANGE IT DEPENDS ON HOW YOU WANT FLAVOUR SOME INDIANS AND PAKISTANIS COOK DIFFERENT IM MOSTLY AFRICAN INDIAN COOKING SOME TIMES COOK PAKISTANI WAY ....
I COOK THIS
MANGO CHEESECAKE CHICKEN WITH MANGOES SWEET MANGO LASSI CURRY CHICKEN & MANGO SANDWICH MANGO BANANA MILKSHAKE COOL TROPICAL COCONUT CUSTARD ...
YOULIKE ...

Rumicrazieluv
Member # 12053
 - posted
I love mango lassi's chimps, so very good. Bindhi ,saag,Mutter paneer are my favorite foods. Mango cheesecake sounds good, would you share the recipe? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Miss Sharm
Member # 12405
 - posted
Laura - I have found this recipie for vegatbale biryani that a friend gave to me, I have also made it myself this being one of my son's favourite dishes [Smile]
I would suggest that you either use lamb, beef or chicken for the meat and just add to the rest of the ingrediants. As you know cooking a lot of the time is trial and error. Hope your husband enjoys [Smile]

VEGATABLE BIRYANI

Ingredients :

Basmati Rice 1 cup
Onions medium size 1 NO cut lengthwise
Tomatoes Big 1 No cut lengthwise
Carrots 1/4 cup cut into matchsticks
Beans 1/4 cup cut lengthwise
Peas 1/4 cup
Potato Big 1 No cut lengthwise
Ginger-garlic paste 1 tbsp
Pudina(Fresh Mint) 1/2 of small Bunch
Coriander Leaves 1/2 of small Bunch
Yogurt 1/4 cup
salt & chilli powder Acc to taste.
Dhania Powder 1 Tbsp.
lemon Juice 1 Tbsp
Oil 2 Tbsp
Saffron(optional) few strands soaked in warm milk.

Method:
Cook Rice seperately & cool.
Wash all the vegetables except Onions & tomatoes.
Marinate the same with Yogurt & ginger-garlic paste
for about an hour.

Heat a fry-pan with Oil , add Onions & fry till translucent.
Add tomatoes, salt & fry till it leaves all the juices.
Add Mint, coriander leaves & cook nicely.

Pour in the marinated mixture,& mix with chili & dhania
Powder.

Cover & cook in low steam till all the veges are tender.
Mix in lemon juice & fry till the moisture is absorbed.
Add Saffron , rice & mix gently .Adjust the seasoning.

Cover & let it sit for a few minutes before serving.

Bake the rice in the oven for 30 minutes before serving.

Miss Sharm
Member # 12405
 - posted
Laura - Have done a serach on the internet and found this recipe for Lamb Biryani, it is apparently rated by top chefs, has to be good!
Have fun cooking the dish [Smile]

LAMB BIRYANI

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1 pound boneless lamb, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3 tablespoons butter
1 onion, cut into thin slices
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom or ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
5 cloves
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
1 1/2 cups long-grain rice, preferably basmati
2 3/4 cups water
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup chopped cashews

METHOD
In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt with the garlic, cayenne, cumin, black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Stir in the lamb.
In a large saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add the onion and cook until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the cardamom, turmeric, cloves, cinnamon, rice, and the remaining 1 1/4 teaspoons salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add the lamb mixture to the pan. Stir in the water and raisins. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer until the rice and lamb are almost done, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat. Let stand, covered, until the rice and lamb are just done, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cashews.
NOTES

Variation
Other nuts, such as almonds or pistachios, can easily stand in for the cashews.

Laura
Member # 879
 - posted
Thanks Miss Sharm, will wait a couple of days, see what kind of recipes show up here, and then decide which one to make.

I love trying out new things, and am getting more daring in my "attempts" at spicier food.

When I lived in the states and cooked, I rarely used anything more than salt, pepper, and maybe some Lawry's...I know..boring..lol

Laura
Member # 879
 - posted
Miss Sharm, I thought Biryani had curry in it, at least that is the kind my husband wants..curry curry curry and the hotter the better.

Actually looking at this last recipe, it is almost identical in ingredients to the Beef Kabsah I spent the past 2 days making. Wierd.

Miss Sharm
Member # 12405
 - posted
My experience with biryani, it is one of the most mildest indian dishes that you can have, no curry in it as far as I am aware, though some of them I have had in indian restaurants here in the UK do come with a vegetable based sauce, again very mild. One restaurant here where I live and voted the best Indian restaurant in the North West a few years ago even put a fried egg on top of the completed dish.

Good luck in your search for that recipe, perhaps it is another dish that your husband is refering to.

hibbah
Member # 12156
 - posted
I like miss sharms recipes, pretty close to how I make it. except I dont put any nuts or raisins in it, thats more afghani style. And I cook the meat in some oil with garlic/ginger before adding anything to it (as it takes a long time to actually...uh..cook) [Smile]

hibbah
Member # 12156
 - posted
oh, and i thought of what MAYBE your husband is talking about the fruit side dish. alot of times people will have pickled mangoes/lemons called achar. but its spicy, not sweet at all.

Rumicrazieluv
Member # 12053
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Miss Sharm, I thought Biryani had curry in it, at least that is the kind my husband wants..curry curry curry and the hotter the better.

Actually looking at this last recipe, it is almost identical in ingredients to the Beef Kabsah I spent the past 2 days making. Wierd.

If you want genuine indian food, then you have to go to restaraunt and ask, or have an indian friend cook at home for you. Indian restraunts generally always tone down the spice in dishes for general public.I dated a man who was from Punjab originally for 2 yrs. We never ate bryani nor did his aunt teach me to make this. I know how to make many dishes and I will tell you that green chiles is what is added to give it that fire [Big Grin] It took me a while to get used to this. Im sure that you take 2 or three chopped finely and added to the rice it will give your husband what he's looking for!!! [Big Grin]

chimps ..
Member # 11270
 - posted
quote:

it depends some have the rice seperate and then curry has its side dish to add
or the are mixed towards the end to gether it depends on and who and how they want to make it a traditinal biryani id mixed it together then get a frying pan at the end of the cooking and burn jeera and and some onion in butter ghee and then slowely move it across the biryani ....

NotSleeplessInCairo
Member # 8452
 - posted
quote:

Also he said it's served with some sort of "fruit?" sidedish. Anyone know about this?

Could it have been Mango Chutney?

This is a very popular North Indian chutney, that is eaten with all kinds of savoury Indian snacks like Samosa, Onion Bhaji , Vegetable Pakoras, Potato Chops (Aloo Tikki), French fries and many more. It is also served with main meals, specially lunch. It is generally made very hot as only a very small quantity is eaten at a time, like tomato sauce. A couple of spoonfuls mixed with natural yoghurt makes a great raita. It can be made in bulk because it freezes well.

Chutney is an English version of the Hindi word 'chatni', pronounced as chutni. The word 'chatna' means 'to lick'. Chatni is a tangy and spicy paste/puree made from a wide selection of ingredients, that makes you smack you lips or makes your tongue and mouth come alive! The original Indian chatni is a mix of uncooked fruit (raw mango/apple/other fruits), green chillies, herbs like coriander and mint, a few spices, lemon or vinegar or tamarind, sometimes sugar, all ground together to make a paste. Other ingredients can also be added according to taste. In England, and the West, chutney generally means a spicy preserve/condiment, where fruits or vegetables have been cooked in vinegar, with spices and sugar, and then bottled.

Mrs C
Member # 10808
 - posted
yea. biriani is served with mango chutney. there are a few different types of chutney though, and they taste quite different. also, there is raitas.. (cucumber/yoghurt) dips.

i know im british, but my step dad was kenyan and my ex ugandan.. so i know what im talking about!

chimps ..
Member # 11270
 - posted
REALLY ..YOU DONT SAY ........
REMEMBER african and indian and pakistani biriani are mixed automatically with the rice with ghee and jeera and onion deep burned on pallet type frying pan and the others are seperated and you can serve with carrot mixed with tomato puree and chillie spice mixed withthe dice carrots with alitttle ovive oil..
any way it depends on the culture back ground you come from ,,every one different ..i do my rice totally different to our a indian does it eventhoughim from indian back ground i was taught by my aunti to fry a little ghee at the bottom and with onion and jeera ,and sliced tomato then let it burn a little then then add your stock and salt then add rice ,,and they emiigrated to africa i think they picked that up form there the cultures mixed in ..i see that at our wedding s....

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com