Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Do Egyptians Eat Kibbeh and Akowi? » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
hibbah
Member # 12156
 - posted
hey guys,
I wanted to know if egyptians were fond of kibbeh and akowi? B/c i love them both . I cant find a pic of akowi, but its this white cheese that goes on top of bread, like a pie.

-

sheba76
Member # 12165
 - posted
I wonder that too. A turkish friend gave me the recipe for kibbeh. Grossed me out until she said, you can cook it too. lol

The akowi, is that like cream cheese?

hibbah
Member # 12156
 - posted
yeah! the first time i had kibbeh was at a turkish restaurant (they called it something else) and then i spotted it in a lebanese restuarant and i hit it up whenever i go to an arabic restaurant (actually i havent in a long time, apparently its a fat-attack). [Frown]

noooo, its like, the most magical cheese in the world. Like- something like mozarella, but when its heated, it stays soft and chewy longer.

sheba76
Member # 12165
 - posted
hmmm that sounds good.

This it?

Akawi cheese: an unsalted cheese made of sheep’s milk, similar to fresh mozarella, used to make savory pies.

http://www.commercefoods.com/commercefoods.com/revrigerated.htm

hibbah
Member # 12156
 - posted
yeeeeeeeeah

QueenBee
Member # 9378
 - posted
there is another great cheese called arish, that is usually left outside to age in a ball and then kept in a jar of olive oil. Then they roll it in phyllo like a little spring roll and cook it. I think its called rakaka or something.
This is popular in Syria and Lebanon, but I don't know about Turkey or, for that matter, Egypt. Egypt, no, I think not.
I love kibbe. Cooked.

sheba76
Member # 12165
 - posted
Arish.......this reminded me of my friends kid. His name is Arash. Beautiful name. But the others made fun of him. Called him a rash.

Hadn't thought of that in a while. Intersting how off topics can remind of things. LOL

hibbah
Member # 12156
 - posted
was he persian?

theres this dorky persian singer named arash- he has a really good song though.

sheba76
Member # 12165
 - posted
Yes he is. His father is Persian, and mother Mexican. Our kids went to school together. his father is my dentist. Gives me 50% discount. [Smile] But most of the time I'll get 3 like 3 things done, and pay 50% for the cheapest. LOL It is near impossible to pay ME peoples for things. Even when you owe them. LOL

I think they said it was a hero from poem or something. I like it. Really a pretty name. Especially when it's said in native tongue. Really a pretty sound.

That's where I learned to make Baathm juun and theat rice with dill, limas, and tachini. Don't know the name. lol

Laura
Member # 879
 - posted
Akawi cheese is great!

My husband makes the best konafa with it. He slices it thin, then soaks it in water to remove the saltiness.

Instead of a cream filling in the konafa, he uses the cheese. YUMMY!

hibbah
Member # 12156
 - posted
konafa ::Drool::

theres this bakery in Queens, called Lazeeza- and they have the CRAZIEST konafa in the world. When I was leaving Ny- i went and i ordered two gigantic trays of it, ended up costing 65 bucks, and the guy thought i was nuts [Smile] but i was taking it as a gift for my khalas since it was eid.

sheba76
Member # 12165
 - posted
Ok call me an idiot but I'm confused. lol

Lazeeza reminds me of lazeez but a girl. [Embarrassed] What does Lazeeza mean? [Confused]

Khalas reminds me of khalos, khalas, ???...... like enough! So what does it mean here? [Embarrassed] [Confused] Possibly uncle?

Sorry, but well....I am learning. hehehe

hibbah
Member # 12156
 - posted
ahaha, thats awesome.

please dont read my posts and interpret them as correct arabic- i dont know what im talking about.

Lazeez means delicious, so i dont know why they stick a tarmaboota at the end and make it lazeeza. either way- it means delicious (Actually its ladheedha, but oh well)

and khalas - im mixing arabic and english. Khala (aunty) + = aunties . [Smile]

khala is urdu too.

actually, so is lazeez.

sheba76
Member # 12165
 - posted
hehehe
got it now. [Wink]

But I'm really having a hard time with associating our Lazeez as delicious. [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

LOL

vwwvv
Member # 18359
 - posted

vwwvv
Member # 18359
 - posted

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com