Cooking Classes in Egypt
EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Eat like an Egyptian » Cioppino » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Exiiled
Member # 17278
 - posted
Cioppino is a fish stew originating in San Francisco. Despite being considered an Italian dish, it is unknown in Italy, and it is only slightly comparable with various regional fish soups and stews of Italian cuisine. Cioppino is traditionally made from the catch of the day, which in the dish's place of origin is typically a combination of dungeness crab, clams, shrimp, scallops, squid, mussels and fish. The seafood is then combined with fresh tomatoes in a wine sauce, and served with toasted bread, either sourdough or baguette. The dish is comparable to cacciucco and brodetto from Italy, as well as other European fish dishes as bouillabaisse, burrida, and bourride of the French Provence, suquet de peix from Catalan speaking regions of coastal Spain

Source: wikipedia

Recipe:

Ingredients

* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1 onion, chopped
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 green bell pepper, chopped
* 1 fresh red chile pepper, seeded and chopped
* 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
* salt and pepper to taste
* 2 teaspoons dried basil
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
* 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
* 1/2 cup water
* 1 pinch paprika
* 1 pinch cayenne pepper
* 1 cup white wine
* 1 (10 ounce) can minced clams, drained with juice reserved
* 25 mussels, cleaned and debearded
* 25 shrimp
* 10 ounces scallops
* 1 pound cod fillets, cubed

Directions

1. In a large pot over medium heat, heat the olive oil, and saute the onion, garlic, bell pepper, and chile pepper until tender. Add parsley, salt and pepper, basil, oregano, thyme, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, paprika, cayenne pepper, and juice from the clams. Stir well, reduce heat, and simmer 1 to 2 hours, adding wine a little at a time.

2. About 10 minutes before serving, add clams, mussels, prawns, scallops, and cod. Turn the heat up slightly and stir. When the seafood is cooked through (the mussels will have opened, the prawns turned pink, and the cod will be flaky) serve your delicious cioppino.

* I'll use white grape juice instead of wine, will also make stock from a chicken carcass as I want the dish to be a bit soup like. As for seafood I'm using local fresh fresh rather than imported Cod. And instead of Shrimp i'm adding more mussles and also crab meat. I'll also include crabs, live clams (assorted) as well as live french snails.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com