EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Bob Marley rolling over in his grave: Jamaican artists glorifying skin bleaching » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Kalonji
Member # 17303
 - posted
Bob Marley rolling over in his grave: Jamaican dancehall artists practicing, and glorifying skin bleaching

-

Vybz Kartel who is mainly famous for his hot dancehall songs that are often played in Caribbean nightclubs – but now he is making headlines for another reason.
The well loved Jamaican dancehall artist recently did a lengthy interview where he revealed that he is proud to be bleaching his skin like former baseball player Sammy Sosa.
During an interview with a local TV network Kartel explained that he decided to lightened his skin in order to change his image and shocked his fans by adding that if white people can tan, black people should have the right to change their skin tone.
Kartel said in the interview:

“This is my new image.You can expect the unexpected. I feel comfortable with black people lightening their skin. They want a different look. It’s tantamount to white people getting a sun tan.”

Source

Kalonji
Member # 17303
 - posted
Mi proud a mi bleaching
Sadeke Brooks, Staff Reporter

-

Lisa Hype, member of the Portmore Empire crew, held in the Gleaner's Studio, North Street, Kingston on Thursday April 30, 2009. - Rudolph Brown

Skin bleaching has been a phenomenon, particularly in the poor inner cities, for many years now. Its association with the same socio-economic class as dancehall has manifested in the songs with multiple references to the practice.

One reference that is highly uncommon though is a deejay glorifying the use of bleaching. In steps Lisa Hype, an upcoming deejay who is affiliated with Vybz Kartel's Portmore Empire.

In the song Proud A Mi Bleaching, which was released last month, Lisa Hype explains that she isn't shameful of her skin bleaching practice. Since its release, she said the song has been a hit, especially among women who do it as well.

"Di girl dem seh mi a lock it fi dem this year. A me alone a talk fi dem. Mi nuh know which girl nowadays nah bleach, even fi use likkle Nadinola and rub on fi mek dem face cool," Lisa Hype told THE STAR.

"A bleaching a run the place and it all right because dat fi show yuh seh yuh a tek care of yourself."

But not everyone loves it. Prior to her song, there were several artistes who lashed out against the act like Nardo Ranks in Dem A Bleach and Buju Banton in Black Woman.

More recently, Queen Ifrica recorded Mi Nah Rub, in which she sings "di person weh seh black nah wear again insecure wid demself, so nuh follow dem. Mi nah bleach mi nuh care if dat a di trend. Proud to be black."

she liked the look

Lisa Hype says from what she's been hearing, the song "gone".

"People a bun it (bleaching). Nuff a dem a bun it and dem gal a do it. Mi nuh hear nobody lash out against the song. Everybody see mi and seh it gone," Lisa Hype said, while noting that she has been bleaching for about two years because she liked the look.

Examining the bleaching syndrome in a July 9, 2003 Gleaner article, Dermatologist Dr Clive Anderson wrote: "The bleaching syndrome appears to be a combination of several symptoms, some psychological, some social and medical, that manifests in the determination to lighten ones skin colour regardless of the damage done to this vital organ."

In another Gleaner article on May 11, 2003, Dr Glenda Simms, Executive Director of the Bureau of Women's Affairs, argued that while the practice is physically damaging to the user, it is psychologically hurtful to children.

"In the process, it is not only about black women and teenage girls and how they see themselves. Black children are also affected in very deep-seated psychological ways," she said.

There are products in skin bleaching substances, like hydroquinone, which it is said can cause skin cancer and other skin disfiguring conditions.

Dr Anderson listed some effects of skin bleaching as stretch marks, acne, increased blood vessels, thinning of the skin, increased susceptibility to skin infections, increased bruising, increased sensitivity to the sun and increased likelihood of skin cancer.

While Lisa Hype said the response to the song has been good, the more than 100 comments on the video, which has been posted on youtube.com, varied but with most persons against it.

One person said, "Yuh proud of bleach, hope yuh proud of the skin cancer yuh get later." Someone else said, "another black girl lost."

"When I go Jamaica I see chicks and dudes can't even go out in da day without dressing as if they in da arctic," said another user.

In other posts, some people said it was a sad reflection on our society.

Source

IronLion
Member # 16412
 - posted
^Why u wanna link Bob name with the heathens that you idolize?

Bob Marley was a Rasta man, not an entertainer!

Rastafari... U dunno what that mean?

PLEEEEZZZZEEEE!!!!!!! Back off!

TruthAndRights
Member # 17346
 - posted
"Mi nah bleach mi nuh care if dat a di trend. Proud to be black."

Yes iyah....PROUD TO BE BLACK...

bleaching = Self-hate

[Eek!] and why di rass would you even call Robert Nesta Marley's name with these dancehall entertainers...KMRT... [Roll Eyes]

TruthAndRights
Member # 17346
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by IronLion:

says the 'Rastaman' wey ah flirt with yte gyal pon online forum...cho!

mi nah have time nor inclination (at the moment at least) fe look for and copy/paste your previous postings wey you claim seh how you nah deal with nuh yte gyal again cah yuh did come to your senses years ago....AH WHOA!

yuh luc-ky....

IronLion
Member # 16412
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by TruthAndRights:
quote:

mi nah have time nor inclination (at the moment at least) fe look for and copy/paste your previous postings wey you claim seh how you nah deal with nuh yte gyal again cah yuh did come to your senses years ago....AH WHOA!

yuh luc-ky....

You remind me of one bitter angry jobless
frustrated, uneducated girl from a ghetto.

One of the very rare ugly losers!

The cause of your bitterness
lies in your ugly soul and mind...

Run and gi'wey!

Go play with small fries like you... : [Roll Eyes]

Ziggy Marley and his "white" jewish wife
 -

Now let you hear your comments about Ziggy Marley's choice of a life partner...

Lion!

Gigantic
Member # 17311
 - posted
Nardo Ranks hit cover of the song, "Dem ah bleach," received heavy rotation on local NYC [pirated] stations during the 90s. I remember it like yesterday. Gotta give the yardies respect though. Back then, their music always reflected socio-political issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c5-J59it7Q

TruthAndRights
Member # 17346
 - posted
quote:
quote:
quote:

yuh luc-ky....

You remind me of one bitter angry jobless
frustrated, uneducated girl from a ghetto.

One of the very rare ugly losers!

The cause of your bitterness
lies in your ugly soul and mind...

Run and gi'wey!

Go play with small fries like you... : [Roll Eyes]

-

Lion!

True yuh jus vex cah dis Black Empress ah call yuh out pon yuh hypocrisy...but I am sorry for you/your inaccurate ASSUmptions same way...I am nothing more than a PROUD BLACK JCAN WOMBMAN WHO SUPPORTS BLACK LOVE UNITY AND COMMUNITY...FULLY EMPLOYED WITH GREAT SALARY AND BENEFITS, EDUCATED, AND MI NAH COME FROM NUH GHETTO! Angry I am YES- at the global system of white supremacy which we all live under, and all that comes with it...Knee-grows who deal with Becky make me neither angry nor bitter...they are more the itch of a mosquito bite: annoying.....bere disgust pity SMH and KMT is all I have for dem... [Roll Eyes]

Ah suh it guh: some man prefer diamonds and some prefer glass.....lol...

My comments apply to Ziggy Marley as well, afta mi nuh partial...cho...

Lastly, from reading postings of yours...both to me in response to comments I've made and in general....call me what yuh want, but yuh favor ah one hypocrite...

wha Richie Spice seh again..BROWN SKIN... [Wink]

nuff said...

***see dis bwoy come type out him tripe yah now...lol...*** [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

IronLion
Member # 16412
 - posted
quote:
quote:

-

Lion!

Blah blah blah... [/QB]
Confused bytch!

Go remove the log in your eye, before you
want to help me remove the speck in my eye...

And after that..

Go suck on your chill pills [Big Grin]
You need it like... yesterday

tina kamal
Member # 13845
 - posted
quote:
quote:
quote:

-

Lion!

Blah blah blah...

Confused bytch!

And after that..

You need it like... yesterday [/QB]

wow lion that looks like u hahahaha

IronLion
Member # 16412
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by tina kamal:
quote:
quote:
quote:

-

Lion!

Blah blah blah...

Confused bytch!

And after that..

You need it like... yesterday

wow lion that looks like u hahahaha [/QB]
He is my bredda, sweetie [Big Grin]

tina kamal
Member # 13845
 - posted
hahahahahaha....well i thought u was white my bad lol

jokin

Brada-Anansi
Member # 16371
 - posted
Didn't Jamaica band skin lighteners sometime ago? well I guess even if they did people who want it can always get it especially if they travel like those above,and look to the upper left of your screen
Top 10 Skin Lightening
We review Skin Lightening creams. Vote for your favorite product!

And Truth and Lion easy nuh!! wi cyan disagree wid out being disagreeable u-noe. cho man!!

KING
Member # 9422
 - posted
Kalonji

Man what a Joke.

vybz is showing how deep is Self Hate in certain African communities. This came out of left Field.

Bob Marley has nothing to do with these hacks and would shake his head at these people.

Bleaching is Big among South Asians you hope Black people don't follow this worthless trend.

Thanks again for bringing this to light.

Peace

alTakruri
Member # 10195
 - posted
Bob had an admitted omniverous appetite for women.
He married black-skinned "Rita" Anderson and a child
by white or near white Cindy Breakspeare -- for whom
he wrote two songs while married to Rita, Turn Your
Light Down Low
and Waiting In Vain, to me his most
beautiful composition -- and was himself half white
for which he was taunted by his fellow black Jamaican
youthman with the nickname "whitey."

Bob may be turning over in his grave about bleaching but
Winston "Burning Spear" Rodney is no doubt miffed. Listen
to Black Soul (when he addresses "bruthuh" does he mean Bob?).

@ Lion, you will love the 2nd song on the video -- roar!

IronLion
Member # 16412
 - posted
^^But you wickid nuh, Altakruri...

Me always know a true Africa activist
must love Rasta music...

Yeah, wi modda modda modda grandmodda is black!

Much respect @ Takruri!

IronLion
Member # 16412
 - posted
@ Takruri, now I am on the second video!

LIOOOOOOONNNNNNNN

ROAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR!

One love

tina kamal
Member # 13845
 - posted
y would any black person wanna bleach their skin? its stupid god made u black for a reason.. duh...anyone of color is beautiful i think especiall the dark brown.. mmmmmmmm

alTakruri
Member # 10195
 - posted
quote:

must love Rasta music...

IronLion Zion Lion

You know why?
From the first days of Spiritess Nyahbinghi until
now and since the failure of late 60's early 70's
Black American Jazz to appeal to the masses only
Rasta Reggae keeps consciousness in the popular
culture of Africa's sons and daughters at home and
abroad that the struggle continues with lyrical pressage.

Aluta continua

Niyahhhhhh-BINGHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love it, it suit a man
to set example like
Toussaint L'Overture chase all
oppressor man out of his land.
Quick.
Hey stepper is what happen to Bogle?
Morant Bay rebellion
standing up feh 'im rights
dem decide fe hang 'im up
WHAT?
Truly
So Greyseed what you hear
'bout Jackson?
George Jackson
imprisonment
- solitary confinement.
Pow! Pow! Aaaaakhhhhhh!
Bumbo ....
Yes Greyseed?
WHAT happen to Marcus?
Marcus say a thing sah.
ONE GOD, ONE AIM,
ONE DESTINY
Starliner
Black
Hey is wha happen to Biko
Biko detainee
in detention - Vank
What?
South Africa
The Black Panthers
Freedom Fighters!
They tried them died
Luther King
He had a dream grizzly -
He had a dream
believe you me
Malcolm X
LIFT STRUGGLE
In a pool of blood
But wait -
nobody don't leave?
Is only we Rasta.
Yes I

quote:

must love Rasta music...

Yeah, wi modda modda modda grandmodda is black!

Much respect @ Takruri!

TheHorsenation
Member # 18137
 - posted
he looked pretty cool as a negro - now he looks like a zombie, really.

lamin
Member # 5777
 - posted
LOL:

Aristotle: Too black a hue marks a coward--as we see with Egyyptians and Ethiopians[Kushites]. So too, too white a hue as with women. The best colour is that which is intermediate between these two extremes....as is the case with lions

See too Frantz Fanon, Black Skin, White Masks

Whites tan because they find the bronzed colour more aesthetically pleasing today. Up till the 19th century--deathly pale whiteness was seen as a mark of beauty in females.

Blacks rub on the lightener stuff because the white world is more accepting of blacks when they are lighter or airbrushed to look lighter--especially women. It's like wearing those horsehair wigs--just to be a la mode--white style.

Calabooz
Member # 18238
 - posted
Bob Marley actually darkened his skin with shoe polish... according to a documentary I saw some time ago.

Lion- you were in the video? Were you the kid, because while watching it, I was wondering who the kid was lol.

Djehuti
Member # 6698
 - posted
Wow! This is some sick sh*t going on!

Kalonji: Bob Marley rolling over in his grave: Jamaican artists glorifying skin bleaching

Bob Marley probably is rolling over in his grave especially considering the fact that he died from skin cancer (though the form he had wasn't linked to sun exposure). Still, why would these Jamaicans think they look better with lighter skin when in fact they look the opposite.

I'm telling you-- from Jamaica to Ethiopia, from India to the Philippines and even Japan-- skin bleaching is a mental illness.

Just call me Jari
Member # 14451
 - posted
^^^^
What about Tanning Salons and Tanning is that not the same Ish but with whites...

-
^^^^
Look like some damn fools, Do people actually find that attractive..

AswaniAswad
Member # 16742
 - posted
Mi Naah Rub Kushawi naah rub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSpu20RRpX4

Horrible Lightning Thunder Roll Judgement Pon Jah Make Yah

argyle104
Member # 14634
 - posted
They are paying these "recording artists", actors, etc to do this. They may have paid him 6 or 7 figures.

The hope is that it catches on with so called "black people" which they know in turn will influence all of the other "non-black" idiots to do so as well.

This is the kind of marketing one gets when the people who run these companines know that their clientele are mindless entertainment flunkies.

Its time so called "blacks" turn their backs on the made for numbskulls entertainment industry.

Calabooz
Member # 18238
 - posted
I would say it's similar. Are there any negative efrects to tanning such as those for bleaching (as listed above)? Tanning can also be natural for white people right?

quote:
Originally posted by Just call me Jari:
^^^^
What about Tanning Salons and Tanning is that not the same Ish but with whites...

-
^^^^
Look like some damn fools, Do people actually find that attractive..

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com