EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » The Intrigue & Uniqueness of Bantu Civilization » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Whatbox
Member # 10819
 - posted
In this thread let's post about what makes Bantu Civilization (pre-colonial emphasis) unique, what is unique or special about Bantu Civilizations.

Also, feel free to post intriguing and interesting facts about any Bantu civilizations that many may not have known about.

quote:
  • Monomotapa had a social welfare system. Antonio Bocarro, a Portuguese contemporary, informs us that the Emperor: “shows great charity to the blind and maimed, for these are called the king’s poor, and have land and revenues for their subsistence, and when they wish to pass through the kingdoms, wherever they come food and drinks are given to them at the public cost as long as they remain there, and when they leave that place to go to another they are provided with what is necessary for their journey, and a guide, and some one to carry their wallet to the next village. In every place where they come there is the same obligation.”

• The ruined mosque in the Kenyan city of Gedi had a water purifier made of limestone for recycling water.

• Autopsies and caesarean operations were routinely and effectively carried out by surgeons in pre-colonial Uganda. The surgeons routinely used antiseptics, anaesthetics and cautery iron. Commenting on a Ugandan caesarean operation that appeared in the Edinburgh Medical Journal in 1884, one author wrote: “The whole conduct of the operation . . . suggests a skilled long-practiced surgical team at work conducting a well-tried and familiar operation with smooth efficiency.”

• The palace in the Kenyan city of Gedi contains evidence of piped water controlled by taps. In addition it had bathrooms and indoor toilets.

• In 1414 the Kenyan city of Malindi sent ambassadors to China carrying a gift that created a sensation at the Imperial Court. It was, of course, a giraffe.

• Bling culture existed in early Tanzania. A Portuguese chronicler of the sixteenth century wrote that: “[T]hey are finely clad in many rich garments of gold and silk and cotton, and the women as well; also with much gold and silver chains and bracelets, which they wear on their legs and arms, and many jewelled earrings in their ears”.

[link]

It kinda seems tho, atleast judging from that list linked to above, that they (speakers of the Bantu languages) had many different types of civilizations.

Min-
Member # 6729
 - posted
Are we non-Bantus supposed to be made jealous? [Big Grin]

Whatbox
Member # 10819
 - posted
Young Horus, in the past, you've expressed being proud of the AAs (black Americans). What is the reason for this pride?

Min-
Member # 6729
 - posted
AAs are the most futuristic Blacks, man. Trailblazers of the Race, not without flaws. [Smile]

Whatbox
Member # 10819
 - posted
Thanks. [Cool]

Whatbox
Member # 10819
 - posted
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is an emphasis on relatively more inland civilizations is what I had in mind. I realize this "more inland" may sound a bit vague or ambiguous but to elaborate,

-

by "more inland" I mean the further inland from the Eastern coast, and further away from the Sahel, the more interesting for me.

So I guess it could kinda be said I'm perhaps looking with greater interest for the more "living / trading amongst themselves", more "inbred-civilization", Bantu complexes, they're all cool though.

Thank you.

Whatbox
Member # 10819
 - posted
Initially this thread popped in mind because I'd heard of at least a well off civilization with abundant food and another that was "impressive" and also appeared well off, that I knew little of.

I was not really looking for Philosophy, but found something interesting enough to post here anyway, in the below posts:

quote:
Originally posted by Sundjata:
Was just reading about this:
quote:
NTU is the universal force as such, which, however, never occurs apart from its manifestations: Muntu, Kintu, Hantu and Kuntu. NTU is Being itself, the cosmic universal force, which only modern, rationalizing thought can abstract from its manifestations. NTU is that force in which Being and beings coalesce. NTU is-so we may say by way of suggestion that Something which Breton probably had in mind when he wrote: 'Everything leads us to believe that there exists a central point of thought at which living and dead, real and imaginary, past and future, communicable and incommunicable, high and low, are no longer conceived of as contradictory.' NTU is that 'point from which creation flows' that Klee was seeking: 'I am seeking a far off point from which creation flows, where I suspect there is a formula for man,beast, plant, earth, fire, water, air and all circling forces at once.'

But in NTU Breton's contradictions have never existed, nor is it something 'far away'. If we said that NTU was a force manifesting itself in man, beast, thing, place, time, beauty, ugliness, laughter, tears, and so on, this statement would be false, for it would imply that NTU was something independent beyond all these things. NTU is what Muntu, Kintu, Hantu and Kuntu all equally are. Force and matter are not being united in this conception; on the contrary, they have never been apart.

NTU expresses, not the effect of these forces, but their being

In other words, alTakuri is pretty much correct. It seems to be an allusion to all things manifest, all things subject to this unifying force (which merely includes human beings).. The concept is pretty deep. [Smile]

More here:

http://www.ntuplc.org/NTUPublications/MuntuNTUPhilosophy.pdf

quote:
Originally posted by alTakruri:
That's incorrect. For the final time come to learn and
understand n-t-u is a root meaning universal being.
Not only does baNtu NOT mean "all humans," speakers
of those languages never use it in reference to white
human beings.

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
quote:
Originally posted by ackee:

Again,sorry to Evergreen and others,but Bantu means What exactly? most people say it means the people.Ba or Ban=the and tu = people? I am really sorry If I am screwing this up Altkruri and DJ So what is ntr? And what is Tu? so Bantu means the universial beings? please be patient I really don't know. [Confused]

Can you not read what I wrote about it??

'Ba' means 'all' and is used by many Bantu speaking groups as a prefix in the name of their ethnic group. For example, the Tutsi refer to their people as a whole as 'Ba-Tutsi'. 'Ntu' means people or humans. So 'Ba-Ntu' or Bantu means 'all-people' or 'all-humans'. It has nothing to do with the Kemetwy (Egyptian) word Ntr meaning divinity or gods.

quote:
Good looking Sundjata. African philosophy is indeed
deep. I first learned of ntu from the saxophonist
Gary Bartz and his then group the Ntu Troupe on the
stellar Harlem Bush Music albums Taifa and Uhuru
perhaps best summed in the track Celestial Blues (please listen)

At the time I used Mbiti's African Philosophy to
further understand the meaning of ntu and always
have wondered at the dumbed down over simplistic
definition almost always given for ntu.

Of course we have Kagemi to thank for exposing us
to ntu's true meaning and the powerful philosophy
concentrated in that litte three letter word. It may
be Senghor who has the most interesting comments
on Kagemi's breakdown of ntu.

More must hear music from Bartz's NTU Troop Rise.

Then for all of us who know we are black, whether
blue-black or nally-yally or anywhere in between
and not ashamed to admit we are black regardles
of continental origin or of any island in the seas,
our message to others on where we take stand
on our self direction Uhuru Sasa (lyrics begin 1:07 into the piece).

quote:
Originally posted by Sundjata:
Was just reading about this

quote:
DJ, you're confusing yourself. The remedy is to please
study up on ntu. Of course whites are ntu. Everything
-- whether human, a thing, space/time, or modality, --
falls under one of those four categories of ntu.

BaNtu are black human beings.
Whites are waZungu.
Both baNtu and waZungu fit into muNtu.

Its not easy to learn so take out time when reading BaNtu philosophy.

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ Unless they mistakenly refer to R1*..
quote:

That's incorrect. For the final time come to learn and understand n-t-u is a root meaning universal being. Not only does baNtu NOT mean "all humans," speakers of those languages never use it in reference to white
human beings.

So by "universal" I guess you mean something like 'primary' or 'ideal' and not as in 'common'??... If that is the case then it would make sense not to refer to whites as Ntu unless it is a worldview system similar to say Masai who actually view whites as unhuman.

I know 'Ba' means 'all' and is usually the prefix before an ethnic name. Thanks for the correction.

quote:
Oh. OK. What I mean by universal being is just that,
everything that be in the universe. As such, ntu has
a better chance at "all" than does ba (to me).

The above posts are from this thread (link).

Min-
Member # 6729
 - posted
Join me, if you care
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3rAItM0lMw&feature=watch-now-button&wide=1

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com