EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Kemet » What is your opinion on the privacy issues in personal DNA testing. » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™   Image - UBB Code™

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
the lioness,
Member # 17353
 - posted
I was considering getting someone a DNA test for Xmas and the issue that comes up is how could the information be used in the future by a private testing company, perhaps discrimination or issurance issues or other unforseen things
-even if they claim the information was confidential. 20 years later a company might have went out of businness but secretly sold off the information.
Could the test be done under a fake name?
Or is this just paranoia?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/06/13/dna-detectives-seek-origins-of-you/2420071/

xyyman
Member # 13597
 - posted
Yes. It can done. A relative of mine used a fake name. She used a Chinese name to see if it would come back East Asian.

The results were bang on.

the lioness,
Member # 17353
 - posted
thank you. I'm going to have to look into as regards payment method, credit card connecrion to address etc.

Ish Gebor
Member # 18264
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
Yes. It can done. A relative of mine used a fake name. She used a Chinese name to see if it would come back East Asian.

The results were bang on.

Bang on means?

You can use a fake name, but you still deal with a home address to where they need to send the info, for the sample collection and results, also payment by legal means.

Ish Gebor
Member # 18264
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
thank you. I'm going to have to look into as regards payment method, credit card connecrion to address etc.

Who knowns maybe you relate to him:

-

xyyman
Member # 13597
 - posted
Results is through email. Purchase is through disposable credit card.
Bang on.....results matched supposed ethnic group.

Approx 33,33,33 African, European , Native American . Her father "claimed" to be mixed Carib. Result matched what she suspected .

xyyman
Member # 13597
 - posted
When I did mine I was shocked to know I had relatives in Louisiana and Uk. After contacting these people ....the connection was made. So ,,yes it works

Ish Gebor
Member # 18264
 - posted
quote:
Results is through email. Purchase is through disposable credit card.
Bang on.....results matched supposed ethnic group.

Approx 33,33,33 African, European , Native American . Her father "claimed" to be mixed Carib. Result matched what she suspected .

From what I know you have to (officially) register a disposable credit car as well.

But it came trough successful, let me know in my email inbox. I will try it too, if they do international.

I basically know my ancestry and lineage, from oral tradition. I like to see if it matches.

xyyman
Member # 13597
 - posted
There are several companies who does it. FTDNA, 23andme, National Geographic, DNATribes etc. Not sure if they do international(ie outside the US).

But I pretty sure many countries also do the test especially European ones like in Holland.

DNAtribes or National Geograhics Genographics may be the only one to match you ethnic groups across the globe.

Alternatively, when you get your results you can upload it to public databases which will then match you with relative across the globe. You have the option to connect with them or not.

I like 23andme because they give you hundreds of possible genetic diseases predisposition. Think Gattaca.

the lioness,
Member # 17353
 - posted
In the future the information could be used to unfairly discriminate against a person

xyyman
Member # 13597
 - posted
In the future....!? Lioness I thought you were up to date on issues? It is already being used.

"California lawmakers are weighing a bill aimed at protecting their state's citizens from surreptitious genetic testing but scientists are voicing their growing concerns that, if passed, such a law would have a costly and damaging effect on research."

"California Enacts Broad Genetic Discrimination Law"
https://www.genomeweb.com/california-enacts-broad-genetic-discrimination-law

New Jersey is already working on their version of the law.

xyyman
Member # 13597
 - posted
I have no problem with testing. It is funny that my white colleagues have a problem with testing. Many do NOT want to know their predisposition. Why are white people like that? I would think it makes sense to want to know.

In fact anyone with young kids, know it is very common now to either do the test while the woman is pregnant or through questionnaires. Why do you think that is?

Ish Gebor
Member # 18264
 - posted
quote:
There are several companies who does it. FTDNA, 23andme, National Geographic, DNATribes etc. Not sure if they do international(ie outside the US).

But I pretty sure many countries also do the test especially European ones like in Holland.

DNAtribes or National Geograhics Genographics may be the only one to match you ethnic groups across the globe.

Alternatively, when you get your results you can upload it to public databases which will then match you with relative across the globe. You have the option to connect with them or not.

I like 23andme because they give you hundreds of possible genetic diseases predisposition. Think Gattaca.

Yes, you do have some in Holland, but it's about the DB-comparative method, which makes it a effective. But uploading the info to a comparative DB is indeed an option.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com