EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » what to read about Egypt from classic literature » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Cindy
Member # 3219
 - posted
I spent wonderful holiday in Sharm El Sheik this year. And it seems I am in love with Egypt. I heard so many sad stories about broken hearts...Thanks God I am far from that. I am interested in some history of Egypt, the Egyptions and their mentality. For example, if you read Dostoevsky or Chekhov you can understand the Russian temper. Would someone advise me what to read about Egypt in English? I am not satisfied by tour guide...

egy_prince
Member # 2853
 - posted
Read to Yehia Haky, Yousif Edrees, yousif Elsebaei and Taha Hussein. This if u want to know about the life of ordinary people in Egypt.If u want to know about Old Egypt, u will find alot of books which can meet ur needs.

akshar
Member # 1680
 - posted
Some of the books by Ahdaf Soueif are really interesting telling the more modern history of Egypt in a novel form. She was a Booker prise runner and writes for the guardian as well. I especially like the Map of Love but her others are good as well. Naguib Mahfouz is another good writer aagain she covers the last 50/100 years in her stories and gives you much more a feel foe how modern Egypt had evolved.

If you want stuff on Ancient Egypt the list is so long but I like Rosalie David as an author. she is curator of the Manchester museum and has written a lot of scholrly works but they are not dry. she did the televised unwrapping of the mummy many years ago. I have heard her lecture as well. Joining the Egypt Exploration Society will give you an insight as well as a very readable magazine.

Does that give you a start?

------------------
UK Co-owner of www.toursinluxor.co.uk Accommodation and Tours in Luxor

Cindy
Member # 3219
 - posted
Dear Akshar and Egy-price, thank you very much for your answers and comments. I will find any of the books and start reading shortly.

All of the best

quote:
Originally posted by akshar:
Some of the books by Ahdaf Soueif are really interesting telling the more modern history of Egypt in a novel form. She was a Booker prise runner and writes for the guardian as well. I especially like the Map of Love but her others are good as well. Naguib Mahfouz is another good writer aagain she covers the last 50/100 years in her stories and gives you much more a feel foe how modern Egypt had evolved.

If you want stuff on Ancient Egypt the list is so long but I like Rosalie David as an author. she is curator of the Manchester museum and has written a lot of scholrly works but they are not dry. she did the televised unwrapping of the mummy many years ago. I have heard her lecture as well. Joining the Egypt Exploration Society will give you an insight as well as a very readable magazine.

Does that give you a start?

Aaliyah
Member # 2861
 - posted
Hi Cindy, also read Naguib Mahfouz books, he is really good.

Cindy
Member # 3219
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Aaliyah:
Hi Cindy, also read Naguib Mahfouz books, he is really good.

Hi again,

The last question on this subject... Where can I buy some books written by arab(egiptian)authors but translated in English? Do you know any good book shop in the center?

Thank you in advance

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439
 - posted
the trilogy by naguib is really great...you can just imagine the kind of life when you're wandering through the small streets of islamic cairo...he's a nobel prize winner and his books are found anywhere and anywhere. if you can't find it locally, try amazon.com

newcomer
Member # 1056
 - posted
Hi Cindy!

I am not sure where you live, but if you're in the UK there used to be a bookshop in London that specialized in books in English about the Middle East and by Arab authors. I am not sure if it's still there as it is several years since I went there, but I was impressed with their collection.

The address and phone numbers were/are:
Riyad El-Rayyes Books Ltd.
56 Knightsbridge
London SW1 7NJ
Tel: 0171 2354240

I would be interested to know if they are still there...let us know.

[This message has been edited by newcomer (edited 25 January 2004).]

Cindy
Member # 3219
 - posted
Hello there,

I am sorry I am not from UK(you could realized that because of my English:-)). And, of course, I know about amazon.com but the cost of delivery is higher then cost of the book and I would prefer to buy books in the shop because I can choose whatever I want. Also I have prepared the list of novels I would like to buy - thank you all for your kind advices.

Would you be so kind inform me where can I buy books in Cairo?

Actually, I will be staying in Sharm El Sheik for 10-14 days but I will visit Cairo for two days.

Thank you in advance and have a nice day:-)

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439
 - posted
most 5 star hotels have a little bookstore and while the selection is very limited, all should carry egypt-related books that you probably want.

for a good bookstore, try diwan in zamalek, on 26th of july street (across from marriott zamalek). most taxis will have no problem taking you there.

Cindy
Member # 3219
 - posted
Thank you:-)
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
most 5 star hotels have a little bookstore and while the selection is very limited, all should carry egypt-related books that you probably want.

for a good bookstore, try diwan in zamalek, on 26th of july street (across from marriott zamalek). most taxis will have no problem taking you there.

egy_prince
Member # 2853
 - posted
Cindy,
I don't know when r u coming to Cairo but now there's the Cairo International Book Fair where u can buy any book u look 4.

Cindy
Member # 3219
 - posted
Hi egy_prince,

Hopefully I will be in Cairo on the 14th of February...Will I have a chance?...

quote:
Originally posted by egy_prince:
Cindy,
I don't know when r u coming to Cairo but now there's the Cairo International Book Fair where u can buy any book u look 4.

egy_prince
Member # 2853
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by Cindy:
Hi egy_prince,

Hopefully I will be in Cairo on the 14th of February...Will I have a chance?...

Sorry Cindy it's up to the 30th of January..

anyway there r lots of bookshops in the centre of

the city where I think u will find ur favourite books.

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439
 - posted
by the way, diwan also sells music and movies including some classics of egyptian cinema from 1950-1970s in DVDs for LE80 that are subtitled in french and english. really fantastic movies that rival any classic hollywood one...they don't make them like they use to, sigh.

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com