EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » visiting mosque » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Cindy
Member # 3219
 - posted
I am going to visit some mosques. What is the most comfortable time to visit them? I would like to avoid any confusing situation (I mean I don’t want to disturb the Muslims when they are praying).

Thank you in advance

AMR the great
Member # 3076
 - posted
to visit a mosque you must be clean[have a shower], wear veil.
act decent, and respect the place.

ExptinCAI
Member # 1439
 - posted
it depends on the mosque. most of the large ones that are tourist-oriented have made arrangements for tourists so that you can visit and not disturb anyone who may wish to pray.

all you need to do is take off your shoes (there's carpet inside/outside)

you can leave them outside with someone who watches all the shoes, or you can carry them with you in a small bag.

you don't need to cover your head. i saw a lot of tourists do this in istanbul entering mosques and thought it was very strange as i've never done that in egypt and i've gone to at least 20 mosques.

like in most catholic churches, you should cover your shoulders and your knees. if you go in the summer, simply bring a large cotton scarf and wrap it around you like a sari.

the info amr provided is for mosques that do NOT allow visitors/tourists. if you wish to enter one of these, you must do as all muslims do and wash certain parts of your body, etc before entering.

[This message has been edited by ExptinCAI (edited 23 January 2004).]

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151
 - posted
Cindy,

The Citadel is a good place to begin your mosque tour. There are three very different mosques up there, and all of them are very tourist friendly. (no head covering required for women) If you are showing legs or too much arm they will give you a green cape to wear to cover up.

From there the two large mosqes at the foot of the hill below the Citadel (Sultan Hassan and ar-Rifai) are also set up for tourists, as is the Blue Mosque and the Ibn Taloon Mosque.

The only ones I've been into recently that did require some sort of head covering (and Expat, you must have been in these at some time....maybe they have changed their policy, or I just look like a woman that needs covering...LOL) are the Al Ahzar mosque and the Amr Ibn al-As mosque in Fustat. These are both good mosques and the men that wait to give tours to foreigners are pretty good in these (Said at the Amr Ibn al-As was EXCELLENT), but they do insist on your head being covered. They gave me the green cape in both cases to wear, but next time I'd prefer to have my own scarf. You can wear a scarf around your waist or shoulders most of the day and just use it on your head at the mosque.

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

Cindy
Member # 3219
 - posted
Hi Amr,

I am sorry I didn't mention I am not a muslim and I am going to visit mosques as a tourist. Nevertheless thank you very much for your information. I will take a little scarf per Debbie's advice. Usually I respect the places I am visiting and "act decent". Is it allowed to take photos there? I mean Citadel.

Thank you ExptinCAI and Debbie!

[This message has been edited by Cindy (edited 26 January 2004).]

Gogo
Member # 2987
 - posted
You can vist at any time from morning till 11 am, from 1 to 2 pm, from 4 to 5 pm, and after 8:30 pm. These are times you will not find many muslims prying in the mosque

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151
 - posted
Yes, all 3 mosques at the Citadel allow photos. The only place at the Citadel that has a No Photo policy is at some of the museums. The Carriage museum says NO PHOTOS and the Military Museum will sell you a camera ticket for 1 LE.

------------------
www.casualcairodetours.pyramids.net for customized excursions in Cairo and beyond
Dds71@aol.com

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com