EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » sharm al sheik » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
ewanek
Member # 3494
 - posted
Hi there,
I'd like to visit Sharm Al Sheik, Sinai Area, I suppose (not too good at geographics, sorry ) Has anybody had any experience, recommendation, tips, etc.-hotels, trips, tour operators, food- anything helps. The sooner, the better- I'm leaving on Feb.20th. Thanks a lot.
I can provide useful info ab. the Czech Republic, Prague, in return, si vous voulez ))

AMR the great
Member # 3076
 - posted
i can give you informations, i lived in sharm for a hole month.

ewanek
Member # 3494
 - posted
Hello, thanks for your reply. To make the answer easier for you, here go my "requests":I'd like to spend 8 days either in Sharm El Sheikh (finally checked the spelling),or Dahab-these are destinations I can get cheap fares for . I'd hate to stay in a luxurious hotel-I'd prefer staying aboard, which might allow me to be as independent as I please, I hope. I'd like to make a few trips (St.Catherine,???). Since I'm pregnant, I would need to make it back "home" every day, I am afraid. Or to stay at another place. I hope it isn't too unrealistic of an idea. Thanks for help. ewanek

Dogy
Member # 3495
 - posted
quote:
Originally posted by ewanek:
Hi there,
I'd like to visit Sharm Al Sheik, Sinai Area, I suppose (not too good at geographics, sorry ) Has anybody had any experience, recommendation, tips, etc.-hotels, trips, tour operators, food- anything helps. The sooner, the better- I'm leaving on Feb.20th. Thanks a lot.
I can provide useful info ab. the Czech Republic, Prague, in return, si vous voulez ))

I just came back from Sharm yesterday with my husband after a 10 day stay. It's beautiful but can be cool even during the day so bring some long sleeved clothing and a light jacket, etc. People are very friendly and polite. They are happy for any tips because they make very little money, on avereage 30 U.S. per month!! We went through Firo Tours if you're in the Czech Republic and the they offer a wide range of prices for hotels. I recommend an all-inclusive package. You won't have any stomach problems if you eat only at a good hotel. Egyptian food is very good and they treat tourists very well. Enjoy your trip.

kay in love
Member # 3444
 - posted
hi ewanek
Sharm is a wonderful destination. very beautiful and this is probably a good time for you to go as it is not so hot. the mornings will be warmest, evenings can be cool, but still nice.
since you are pregnant very definatly stick to bottled water which id so cheep and you can get it anywhere also best to avoid salad stuff as you dont know what water it is washed in. all the usual stuff really. The pharmasey in Sharm, naama bay (omar et omar) is really helpfull for minor ailments (hope you dont need this info!)
i would recomend st catherines but perhaps not the climb up moses mountain very steep!!. st catheriens is less of a journey from dhab but the roads are quite good. many loverly boat trips to be had even enjoyable if you dont swim.
everyone is so helpful and friendly, the egyptians have such a wonderfull sence of humour and fun. as you have probably guessed i am totaly in love with the place and the people im sure you will have the best time.
much love
kay X

ewanek
Member # 3494
 - posted
Thanks to everyone, I'll definitely make use of your tips and advice. I have a few more questions though: how easy/difficult/cheap/expensive is it to hire a cab down there? Are buses OK? Reliable (timewise)? As I haven't managed to download a good map of the region, how far is it to a desert? Thanks again. I'll let you know ab. my trip when I get back.

kay in love
Member # 3444
 - posted
hi ewanek
cabs in and around tourist areas are very cheap. allways allways agree your price before you get in. some hotels will get a cab and sort the price for you. all organised trips include bus pick up from or near your hotel. shop around for trips there are lots (i used san marino in naama bay. low cost good value very friendly)hotel trips are not always the best price. The desert is sooooooooooo close you will see it as you come in to land lots of mountains and fab rocks not a great deal in the way of sand dunes. maps are easy to pick up when you are there.
as i said before it is a very helpful and friendly place. everyone wants you to have a good time and the locals are very proud of the place. i always felt very safe in the main tourist areas even when i was alone.
have a good trip and please let us know how you got on
much love kay

aidia
Member # 3198
 - posted
hi ewanek
i was in sharm twice last year and it is wonderfull place to visit so please have fun.
i've visited st catherines monestry and my one advice is that busses do not go right up to the monestry so there is a small hill to walk up aprox 5-10 minutes so not to bad and if your not up to it you can get a taxi ride up you can also get a camel ride but i dont recomend it in your condition.( might bring on early labour ;0)
plese do look on the internet because there is so much info about sharm.(hotels etc)
Kay is right about avoiding salad and one thing that sometimes people forget is to avoid ice even if they tell you its made from mineral water.
If you can, use the local guides 1 because they are cheaper then the holiday companys and 2 cause they need the buisness more than the big holiday companys and there are a lot of them situated in naama bay.
i'm just repeating what everyone else has said but another thing you should do is to haggle to your hearts contest.
have fun and keep us informed.

AMR the great
Member # 3076
 - posted
I think you have a good information from above.
But if you don't prefer hotels, you can rent a small flat for 50$ weekly, but it is hard to found and need a one living there [I can help you in that if u want]
Are you sure you want to climb mountains/spolonking!!!!!!!!, I like the idea also but I am not pregnant. LoL.

ewanek
Member # 3494
 - posted
Thanks a lot again ! I'll keep you informed!

Concerning spolonking/mountain climbing: I'm just casting my nets for the future. I have been doing these activities for a few years. My recent state is supposed to be temporary only I am taking advantage of it and planning!

Last question: what currency to take? Euros or dollars? Impossible to get Egyptian pounds here, I'm afraid.

kay in love
Member # 3444
 - posted
hi ewanek
dollars are easy to change as are travellers cheques. many trips are priced in us dollars. shop around for best exchange rate - there is a black market around for changing money but i have never used it.
you will be pleasently supprised just how easy everything is - everyone wants you to have the best time and will try their best for you.
much love and have a great time
kay X

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com