EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Alexandria - Is it good or not? » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Aussie
Member # 3573
 - posted
Some people say it is and others not. What are your opinions/experiences of it?

------------------
What are the must-see's of Egypt??

shusha
Member # 3563
 - posted
hey aussie where abouts in oz are u from? me im from melbourne.........let me just tell u that alexandria is a must see the corniche is one of the best places ill admit that there are not all that many sight seeing places in alex but the atmosphere there is excellent also check out the new library that has recently been built amazing......u must go there if u dont u will would of missed out on a definate experience

Aussie
Member # 3573
 - posted
ahhh ok thanks mate. I'm from Sydney (used to grow up just north of it) but have now live in England for the last 5 years.

------------------
What are the must-see's of Egypt??

shusha
Member # 3563
 - posted
hey aussie when i visit egypt i spend most of my time in alex and although i go to cairo sometimes i prefer alex cos it is a lot more quieter then cairo but in regards to must see umm lets see sharm el sheik, luxor aswan they are the main ones i can think off

English Muslim
Member # 3511
 - posted
Hey Shusha,

Could you tell me something about the new library you mentioned. I'm finishing off a MA in Lingusitcs and planning to come and soak up the vibe in Alex for the next year or so....the thought of a good library is excellent news...or is it? Please tell me more,

Many thanks!

Monica
Member # 2621
 - posted
hello there,

In regards with ALEXANDRIA, which is my favourite favourite in the world, I will cut and paste one of my postings, describing it for you. See the thread called: Information about Hurghada and Alexandria ( it also includes Sharm El Sheikh). I wrote this IN ANSWER TO A WOMAN THAT WAS WORRIED TO TRAVEL TO EGYPT ALONE AND ATTRACT DIRESPECTABLE REMARKS FROM PEOPLE.

here it goes:

Now about Hurgada vs Alexandria: two totally different styles. I will tell you right away that Hurgada /red sea is beautiful and there are great hotels and you could have an amazing nightlife. Just respect yourself and don't let the 'boys' get too familiar with you. DO NOT MIX WITH THE HELP. Don't give personal information, and try to mix with groups rather than with 'solos'.

Having said that, here is a description of Alexandria, which is my personal favourite city in the WORLD:

The people of Alexandria are beautiful, friendly and multicultural. The architecture is impressive and the sea is splendid. It has been renovated lately by a brilliant mayor and is attractive and clean and organized.

MY favourite hotel is Palestine/Helnan, recently renovated and extremely safe and respectable, right in the smack of a gorgeous royal garden. If you can afford a 5 star hotel, reserve room 338, the view is breathtaking, from one side you have the royal garden and the palace of King Farouk. And on your right you have the sea, of a colour that is a mix of different shades of greens and blues. The hotel can be seen on the internet, do a search: Palestine Helnan Hotel Alexandria.

There's romance in the air, the sea breeze is unique but...so is the humidity!

It is the second largest city and the main port of Egypt, it was built by the Greek architect Dinocrates (332-331 BC) on the site of an old village, Rhakotis, at the orders of Alexander the Great. The city, immortalizing Alexander's name, quickly flourished into a prominent cutural, intellectual, political, and economic metropolis, the remains of which are still impacting the city to this day.

Alexandria's Lighthouse is one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, and the Great Library : Bibliotheca Alexandrina has been revived last year. A must see..Check it out check it out check it out!

Did you ever hear of CLEOPATRA? well it was along Alexandria's shores that history took a tragic turn at the time of Cleopatra, Julius Caesar, Mark Antony, and Octavian.

Alexandria lies north-west of the Nile delta. It is linked to Cairo by two major highways and a railroad line. The winter is temperate and the beaches have white sands and a magnificent scenery. Al Agami is MY personal favourite.

One last thing, if you like seafood that is the place to be!

Take care
Monica

quote:
Originally posted by English Muslim:
Hey Shusha,

Could you tell me something about the new library you mentioned. I'm finishing off a MA in Lingusitcs and planning to come and soak up the vibe in Alex for the next year or so....the thought of a good library is excellent news...or is it? Please tell me more,

Many thanks!

strangelookingnegro
Member # 151
 - posted
The Library -

On the possitive side, it is an architectural wonder! It is fantastic to see.

On the negative side, as far as a library goes, it sucks. It is dependant on donations for books and what has been donated is really poor. It's getting better but when you go look on the shelves and find 10-20 year old sets of Encyclopedias, that is BAD!

Somewhere on the Internet I read that it is the worlds most expensive building houseing a cyber cafe. That is almost right. The internet services for members seems to be VERY good though, and in general I still think it is better to spend time seeing it than the Roman-Grecco Museum for tourists if you are on a tight time schedule. It's more interesting to me anyway.

shusha
Member # 3563
 - posted
hey english muslim
to be honest with u i have yet to actually enter the library i have seen it many times from the outside (and it is an unbelievably excellent building) but have not yet been in becuase the last time i was in egypt it was not yet opened but i have been told by friends who have been there after its opening and they all seem to be very impressed i know that the stock of books is low but it is building up fast so inshallah by the time u get there it would be better resourced

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com