EgyptSearch Forums Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

» EgyptSearch Forums » Visiting Egypt » Lonely Planet Guides » Post A Reply

Post A Reply
Login Name:
Password:
Message Icon: Icon 1     Icon 2     Icon 3     Icon 4     Icon 5     Icon 6     Icon 7    
Icon 8     Icon 9     Icon 10     Icon 11     Icon 12     Icon 13     Icon 14    
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.

Instant Graemlins Instant UBB Code™
Smile   Frown   Embarrassed   Big Grin   Wink   Razz  
Cool   Roll Eyes   Mad   Eek!   Confused    
Insert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code™   Insert Email Address - UBB Code™
Bold - UBB Code™   Italics - UBB Code™
Quote - UBB Code™   Code Tag - UBB Code™
List Start - UBB Code™   List Item - UBB Code™
List End - UBB Code™  

What is UBB Code™?
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
philand teresa
Member # 2726
 - posted
We have just been reading "Current Tourism" Thread started by William Jackson. In it Debbie touches on the subject of the Lonely Planet Guide Books obsession with getting everything on the cheap. We totaly agree with her. The one common factor in all the Lonely Planet Guides we have used is that they tell you to pay your entry fee to a place of interest, then stand close to an organised group and listen to their Guide. So if everyone took the advice, there would be no guides with groups, just people wandering aimlessly hoping to leech information. No good for the Tourist, they would learn nothing and no good for the Guides, they would all be unemployed. Clearly not a good situation.

loriglenn
Member # 3413
 - posted
Hi PhilandTeresa:

We have the Lonely Planet Guide and have seen the same thing as well. I totally agree with you. I think it's just fine to be as economical as one can, but to be downright stingy is just not right. As you pointed out, peoples' livlihoods are affected by that.

Bulldog
Member # 2721
 - posted
lonely Planet is obsessed with everything on a shoestring, But unfortunatly there are dis-advantages going on the very cheap.
I wouldn't normally go by bus, but by train or taxi, Nor do I stay in hostels or one/two star hotels I want an injoyable holiday not a backpackers nightmare.
The Lonely Planets choice of Accomadation or food, Might be alright for the very fit or the odd army commando but not for me.
For the fist timer I recommend that you go in a group or package holiday.

akshar
Member # 1680
 - posted
As I said on another thread when you bargain down the taxi driver from 15Le to 10Le how much do you think he can afford to pay on the maintenance of his vehicle. Would you prefer to go in a taxi that had its brake fluid topped up occassionaly.

------------------
UK Co-owner of www.toursinluxor.co.uk Accommodation and Tours in Luxor

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com